Hopkins v Calzaghe

holymoly

Rick Grimes

surprised Joe got the decision tbh, but i had him by 2 rounds.

glad they asked him about the low blow there too. was defo a bit low, but not 2 minutes rest low.

It was dull TBH.

Unlike the ole Lacy fight. That was an absolute masterclass in boxing from Joe. Best fight ive seen in years.

I thought Hopkins had it...

Calzaghe is very fast and flash, so a lot of the rounds were "won" by late flurries in the last 10 secs of each round when he really let his hands go

He didn't land many good hits, and as impressive as Calzaghe's hand speed is, when he really lets his hands go he does tend to slap a bit

Rick Grimes
Unlike the ole Lacy fight. That was an absolute masterclass in boxing from Joe. Best fight ive seen in years.

difference was Lacy believed his own hype and played right into Joe's hands. Hopkins is far too smart for that, but despite his protestations didn't do enough to win the fight tonight. very close tho.

that was some interview with Hopkins, if Joe didn't have bigger fish to fry in the division he should take him voer to the Millenium Stadium and knock him into next year.

It would be great if Chic Young and his cronies had the balls to ask questions like that to the SPL managers...would make the Celtic after match interviews more fun than pandering to Strachans "wit"

Hopkins landed the better punches, but Calzhage threw a lot more

It could have gone either way imo, with Calzaghe fortunate not to receive a points deduction, which could have proved crucial

Hopkins did land the clearer punches but they were few and far between. Calzaghe fought more and certainly landed more and was more positive(Which counts for a lot). Hopkins faked 1 debilitating punch below the waist and tried to fake another. IMHO I thought Calzaghe won it all be it by 1 maybe 2 rounds.

Lacy was a perfect oponent for Calzaghe as he would keep coming forward

Hopkins is a counter punching scrapper, so this fight was never gonna be aesthetically pleasing

Calzaghe is very fast and flash, so a lot of the rounds were "won" by late flurries in the last 10 secs of each round when he really let his hands go

He didn't land many good hits, and as impressive as Calzaghe's hand speed is, when he really lets his hands go he does tend to slap a bit

he's not even got a hard punch. Its just his acuracy as you said his hand speed is amazing, it totally destroyed Jeff Lacy.

Yeh I have to agree with you, he never seemed to land many clear, clean punches on Hopkins. Always end up a little frustrated when I watch Joe fight. But all the same I am delighted that he got the decision, I had it extremely close and I could never trust the US judges but he got it.

:)

Hopkins did land the clearer punches but they were few and far between. Calzaghe fought more and certainly landed more and was more positive(Which counts for a lot). Hopkins faked 1 debilitating punch below the waist and tried to fake another. IMHO I thought Calzaghe won it all be it by 1 maybe 2 rounds.

I also had Calzaghe by 2 points, but I was just saying that there were a lot of rounds in there that could have gone either way

Its also good for boxing that Joe won, as Hopkins is past it, whereas Joe can now go on to fight other big names like Jones Jr and Pavlik

I also had Calzaghe by 2 points, but I was just saying that there were a lot of rounds in there that could have gone either way

Totally agree hence my surprise that Joe got the decision over there.

True. I'm not a massive boxing fan, I just watch the big fights. I normally judge on clean hits rather than the flurries, so that's where I go wrong.

Still, I'm delighted. I thought the American's would have gave it to Hopkins.

Boaby Ewing

I was surprised he got it, but I'm not sure how much that's down to the early knockdown and the fact I was factoring in Vegas judges.

Seems they might not have liked Hopkins hommery over the low 'blow' (or classic Calzaghe slap).

I thought Hopkins fought a smart, albeit dirty fight tbh.

Hopkins landed the better punches, but Calzhage threw a lot more = Agree - and thats why Joe deservedly won the fight.[/b]It could have gone either way imo, Not realy, while one judge did give it to hopkins, I, and most informed people on sentanta agreed that Joe shaded it, (2 - 3 rounds) had it gone the other way it would have been a surprise with Calzaghe fortunate not to receive a points deduction, which could have proved crucial Again - not really a low blow, and not really a punch, Joe simply laid his bottom forearm parralel across Hopkins abdomen (a slap ?). Hopkins said afterwards it was his crutch ??? must have the highest hanging balls of any man alive - he wanted to buy some time that's all

Well done Joe - a real class act.

Well done too to the Welsh fans, not least of all in the way that they respected the USA anthem; Hatton fans could learn a lesson there.

Well done Joe - a real class act.

Well done too to the Welsh fans, not least of all in the way that they respected the USA anthem; Hatton fans could learn a lesson there.

I know, lets boo the USA anthem. Half of Hattons fans probably didnt even know why they were booing it.

Fight could have went either but what really gets me as how the refs consantly let American fighters do what they want.Hopkins was constanly holding which of course was his gameplan but then the ref would warn both of them and as for the 2 low blows cmon.I hope they find Calzaghe a good fight next because everyone that Hopkins is involved in is ugly.

Joe Cortez is a tosser :mad:

What an insult to a tosser, comparing him to one, it was surprising that you couldn`t spot a wad of notes in his back pocket as he was so much of a homer it was probably near impossible for him to F@RT without the sight of money flying all over the ring.

ToadKiller Dog

Had Calzaghe by two points ,he did most of the boxing ,hopkins should have been in trouble for a blatent head butt ,the low blows were minor and played on.Was a poor fight.

I actually thought Hopkins edged it but he only has himself to blame really. His spoiling tactics obviously didn't impress the judges. What the hell the final judge was doing i'll never know though. And lets take the UK bias glasses off. It was a dirty fight from both sides.

Delighted for Joe though

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

We all thought it was Hopkins fight, glad he never won though because he is a complete tosspot.

Terrible fight by two guys who were scared to take a risk.

Most entertaining part was his auld man going mad in between the rounds. :)

PS: Why was Simon Cowell ringside?!

I'm a shell of a man today, rough as feck.

Really enjoyed the fight, thought the ref was pretty good too, they kept saying he never let Hatton fold in the inside but to be fair Joe wasnt fighting a clean fight either.

I had it very close with most rounds un callable.

Hope he fights Jones in the states next.

Really enjoyed the fight, thought the ref was pretty good too, they kept saying he never let Hatton fold in the inside but to be fair Joe wasnt fighting a clean fight either.

I had it very close with most rounds un callable.

Hope he fights Jones in the states next.

I reckon they will go for Pavlik just because he is suited to Calzaghe.

Both would be decent fights though.

So much for Hopkins claim that he'd never be beaten by a white boy.

Congratulations to Joe Calzaghe. :)

Guest hoggis

Well done Joe. Although i dont think the yanks will look favourably on his 'pelvic thrusting' when Hopkins went down after being scudded in the Davina McCalls.

So much for Hopkins claim that he'd never be beaten by a white boy.

Congratulations to Joe Calzaghe. :)

Think he said 'Knocked out' by a white boy.... and to be fair Calzaghe could be still fighting him now and Hopkins still wouldnt have gone down...... might have rubbed his baws and feigned injury but wouldn't have gone down.

Guest hoggis

Wonder what the Americans made of the great heavyweight prospect Audley Harrison. Now that is one seriously deluded guy. Just in it for the wedge. Sound familiar?

As predicted i fell asleep.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Managed to stay up and watch it myself, wasn't really worth it in the end, rubbish fight.

Crap fight and I'm very surprised at the outcome.

Watched it with a few mates. We all had Hopkins to win. I had him by two rounds.

Joe may have backed him into the corners and the ropes quite a lot but never did any damage when he did and quite often Hopkins would catch him with a good counter.

When a heard the final scorecard, 116-110 I think, I was certain it would be Hopkins as I never thought anybody could think Calzaghe had won the fight by that distance.

Hopkins is a tosser though. And I won a ?5 in our sweep by correctly predicting Calzaghe on points.

Crap fight and I'm very surprised at the outcome.

Watched it with a few mates. We all had Hopkins to win. I had him by two rounds.

Joe may have backed him into the corners and the ropes quite a lot but never did any damage when he did and quite often Hopkins would catch him with a good counter.

When a heard the final scorecard, 116-110 I think, I was certain it would be Hopkins as I never thought anybody could think Calzaghe had won the fight by that distance.

Thats exactly what I and all my mates thought as well.

Joe's reaction of "I cant believe I won that" (missed by most media outlets here), Enzo's constant berating of his son and Paul Dempsey ****ing himself at the decision said it all for me. Even McGuigan wasnt confident with his own card, something which rarely happens.

The cynic in me thinks we all did a disservice to the Vegas judges!

Thinking they would give it to their fellow American. He is past his best, and Calzaghe had more fans! They gave it to the boxer who has more money earning potential :rolleyes:

Archived