Better fill your car up Quickly!!!!!!!

scottishguy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuart Lyon

In my experience when a scheme changes from non contributory to contributory the employees usually get a pay rise to compensate. The contribution is non-taxable.

coppercrutch
its about cancelling it right across the board new and excisting employees

Wrong, and this is from the UNITE website itself.

http://www.amicustheunion.org/default.aspx?page=8307

"Unite members at the Ineos plant in Grangemouth are to strike on Sunday 27th and Monday 28th April in protest at plans to close the final salary pension scheme to new entrants and reduce provision for existing scheme members"

They are canceling it for new employees and REDUCING it for existing employees. What you have stated above is incorrect. So you are clearly showing your bias in regards to this subject. You need to look at things from both sides in this World....

coppercrutch
Very interesting reading on the Unite sight! Stuff the capitalists.

Please remember that their viewpoint is likely to be ever so slightly biased.......:rolleyes:

Funny how the opposing website below gives an altogether different viewpoint.

http://www.ineos.com/new_item.php?id_press=208

Maybe you would like to read them both first and then make up your mind. Having done so myself they both seem to have reasonable points. They will probably have to meet somewhere in the middle to come to an agreement.

What a crazy thought.....

tell them to feck off and get another job then, i refuse to sit in these queues and if i run out then tough.

coppercrutch
tell them to feck off and get another job then, i refuse to sit in these queues and if i run out then tough.

If this snippet from Ineos is true then no wonder the tight *******s don't want to get another job.

"The company proposes a different plan for future new employees but one that will continue to allow it to attract highly skilled workers to the Grangemouth site where the typical remuneration package for a qualified technician is valued at almost ?60,000."

And they are moaning about having to contribute towards a pension. :eek:

Id have to agree

From what I have read I don't think the changes are unfair or unreasonable and just mirror whats happened in most organisations over the last few years

In this climate no one can expect to keep the pension they have when it is as generous as the ones this lot have

The Old Tolbooth

There was a lot of cars at the local petrol station in Rosyth when we went to pick the bairn up from school, bloody madness!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It's ridiculous folk saying don't panic buy.

Fortunately, I don't drive but I'm hoping the buses are affected so I can try and get time off work!

Stuart Lyon

The ?60K will probably refer t the total remuneration package and not just salary. My former employers used to do this as a PR stunt to make people think they were getting more.

Enjoyed listening to the spokesman for the Road haulage Assoc saying that the shutdown would badly affect his members and that the economy would suffer.Maybe! but how ironic, wasnt it him and his members who were trying to blockade the place a couple of years ago?

Stuart Lyon

Coppercrutch I have now read the 'other side's' views and I am still with the workers. Companies are notorious for taking 'pension holidays' when it suits them and the suggestion is from Unite that this company has done just that. They now expect their employees to take a 1% reduction in pay for the next 6 years! Great offer that is.

coppercrutch
Coppercrutch I have now read the 'other side's' views and I am still with the workers. Companies are notorious for taking 'pension holidays' when it suits them and the suggestion is from Unite that this company has done just that. They now expect their employees to take a 1% reduction in pay for the next 6 years! Great offer that is.

Aye but for someone who is a technician earning 60k per year that is still not exactly scraping the barrel. :eek:

And yes 60k will be an average when all benefits are included. That is still pretty **** hot for a job that may require skills and experience but I imagine is not exactly rocket science.

I went to the garage on Seafield Rd earlier, cos i needed petrol. Not to panic buy Timed it well, only 1 in front of me, time I came out queue was along the road.. Nowt to do with me though...:) Some of the pumps were empty ...

coppercrutch
Coppercrutch - you could ask if they have any vacancies.

Good plan. I don't give a **** about contributing to a pension !!

portobellojambo1
I read it was about cancelling it for new employees only, and making existing staff make a contribution ? Can you provide a link to show otherwise ?

Non contributory Final Salary Schemes (FSS) are very uncommon now, even within the financial services industry. This does not appear to be a case where the employer has allowed the scheme to sit at the minimum funding level through going on an extended premium holiday, as was the case with many FSS, but simply a business decision to try and cut costs going forward.

My employers did the same, for existing staff who were members of the FSS, as I am, it went from non contributory to contributory, with contributions being phased in over a few years (think it was 3 in our case) to the maximum level they set (think it is 5%, not at work so do not have the information to hand). It wasn't compulsory though, the option was there to non contribute, and from that date future pension calculations for such people switched from 1/60ths to 1/80ths basis. New starts have no access to the FSS, instead they go into the companies Money Purchase scheme.

Can only assume it has not been explained to the INEOS employees properly, the very fact that they are retaining the vast majority of their staff within a FSS environment should be seen as a bonus by them, many companies simply switched from Final Salary to Money Purchase, on a take it or leave it basis.

yvonnejambo

I had to fill up this morning as have a lot of driving with my work. Our ONLY petrol station was mobbed when I drove back into the village this afternoon and if it does run out the nearest one is 40 miles away. Have heard a few run out in Inverness today so could be a hard week for Ullapool and other highland villages

portobellojambo1
I had to fill up this morning as have a lot of driving with my work. Our ONLY petrol station was mobbed when I drove back into the village this afternoon and if it does run out the nearest one is 40 miles away. Have heard a few run out in Inverness today so could be a hard week for Ullapool and other highland villages

Look on the bright side Yvonne, it will give you more time to play that crazy game you have set up in The Shed, I thought about joining in but I don't even understand the rules. :confused:

Stuart Lyon

PortobelloJambo - when our company change from non contributory to contributory we got an increase in pay to compensate for the contribution. There were tax advantages for the individual and I am sure there tax advantage sin this for the company. Everyone was happy.

Nucky Thompson
Aye but for someone who is a technician earning 60k per year that is still not exactly scraping the barrel. :eek:

And yes 60k will be an average when all benefits are included. That is still pretty **** hot for a job that may require skills and experience but I imagine is not exactly rocket science.

I would sack the lot of them, then ship in workers from Eastern Europe who would do what they were told;)

The Jambo Janny
Good plan. I don't give a **** about contributing to a pension !!

How are you going to fund your retirement? will you expect the state pension to be enough or have you made some other provision?

Most industrial disputes these days are over pension issues mainly because workers realise how important it is to them to have that 'cushion' for their retirement and another thing companies have benefitted from the large pension funds that their employees have contributed to by re investing it and sometimes abusing it -remember what Robert Maxwell did to the Mirror/Record workers pension?

yvonnejambo
Look on the bright side Yvonne, it will give you more time to play that crazy game you have set up in The Shed, I thought about joining in but I don't even understand the rules. :confused:

Haha yeah im sure my line manager would understand!

You should have signed up there are plenty others that are just as clueless. :cool:

portobellojambo1
PortobelloJambo - when our company change from non contributory to contributory we got an increase in pay to compensate for the contribution. There were tax advantages for the individual and I am sure there tax advantage sin this for the company. Everyone was happy.

I cannot honestly remember if we got an initial salary increase SL. There was the usual blow out initially, in relation to another benefit being diluted, but now you never hear anyone mentioning it, I think those affected are just happy to still have a Final Salary Scheme, and for most new starts Final Salary Schemes are not things they are familiar with anyway, because they are so uncommon now. Pension provision is in the main Money Purchase these days, whether personal pensions or occupational pension schemes, the glory days of non contributory Final Salary Schemes are long gone.

coppercrutch

Can only assume it has not been explained to the INEOS employees properly, the very fact that they are retaining the vast majority of their staff within a FSS environment should be seen as a bonus by them, many companies simply switched from Final Salary to Money Purchase, on a take it or leave it basis.

IMO, I think they know the score. I think the very fact that these employees can grind Scotland's economy to a halt, at a whim, is seen as the largest bonus by them.............

It is not as if they are getting **** on is it..........

coppercrutch
How are you going to fund your retirement? will you expect the state pension to be enough or have you made some other provision?

Most industrial disputes these days are over pension issues mainly because workers realise how important it is to them to have that 'cushion' for their retirement and another thing companies have benefitted from the large pension funds that their employees have contributed to by re investing it and sometimes abusing it -remember what Robert Maxwell did to the Mirror/Record workers pension?

Companies cannot afford final salary pension schemes anymore. In fact they have only had a relatively short shelf life.

I don't trust any pension scheme. I don't trust anyone to 'invest' my money. Most 'experts' don't have a ****ing clue. I would rather put my own money into my planned savings/investments and see what happens. If it goes tits up then so be it. I can cope with that. It would be my own doing.

If it goes tits up because some spiky haired 'investment expert' had ****ed my money up against a wall ?

I would want to kill them.

Stuart Lyon

Sack them and bring in east Europeans to replace them - great idea if its not your job.

If a final salary scheme is not part of your term of employment when you accept a job then you have no axe to grind. If your company wants to dilute existing benefits for the ultimate benefit of the shareholders then there is legitimate reason for complaint. just look at the benefits the fat cats in the city walk away with particularly when they have failed.

Italian Lambretta

There is a very long queue at the sainsbury petrol station at Straiton and according to the missus there is NO diesel left.:evilno:

Went down to get some a Tescos and there is queue's of drivers filling there tanks right up.

Some old geezer in front filled his so much it started spilling over and down his trousers.

****.:)

The Old Tolbooth

Just back from filling up both our cars, went to fill my car up first because it's diesel and I need it for work, and the queues were mental! It's like rush hour out there ffs!

Already most garages over here have no unleaded left, and some have no diesel, so I thought I'd better nip out in my better halfs car which takes unleaded and the station I filled up at had only about an hours worth left.

It's bloody mental out there, but I cant help think that because people are panick buying, that it's forcing everyone else out to top up just in case!

chester copperpot
Just back from filling up both our cars, went to fill my car up first because it's diesel and I need it for work, and the queues were mental! It's like rush hour out there ffs!

Already most garages over here have no unleaded left, and some have no diesel, so I thought I'd better nip out in my better halfs car which takes unleaded and the station I filled up at had only about an hours worth left.

It's bloody mental out there, but I cant help think that because people are panick buying, that it's forcing everyone else out to top up just in case!

What like yourself ya arse. I drive everyday from Glasgow, and have followed the advice to not panic, so I have got just over a quarter tank of fuel left for my week's journey. Luckily I'm staying at my Sister's tomorrow, but beyond thursday, I've not got a clue if pumps start running out, as I've no other options except the car, as I'm in quite a remote part of the Weeg.

It's the lemmings who fill up their tanks that cause the shortage and the price increases. If you buy your usual petrol at your usual time their will be plenty to go around. The media creates this panic and the majority of folk follow the herd. However if you use diesel . .. you may be in the brown stuff if there is a prolonged strike.

vladtheexhaler

Chances of my driving instructor having any petrol left next Wednesday when I sit my test?

Already missed a test because the driving examiners were on strike from 9-11 and my test was booked in for 10.45. Didn't even find out until we pulled up to the test centre, although I got a letter the next day telling me the test had been cancelled, feckers!

Chances of my driving instructor having any petrol left next Wednesday when I sit my test?

Already missed a test because the driving examiners were on strike from 9-11 and my test was booked in for 10.45. Didn't even find out until we pulled up to the test centre, although I got a letter the next day telling me the test had been cancelled, feckers!

My son sits his on Friday and the very same thought ran through my head. It's not that you have to pay for a double lesson on test day too!

The Old Tolbooth
What like yourself ya arse. I drive everyday from Glasgow, and have followed the advice to not panic, so I have got just over a quarter tank of fuel left for my week's journey. Luckily I'm staying at my Sister's tomorrow, but beyond thursday, I've not got a clue if pumps start running out, as I've no other options except the car, as I'm in quite a remote part of the Weeg.

I was gonna follow the advice of not going out and filling up also mate but my neighbour told me that the empty signs were going up all over the place and I thought I'd better fill up.

Sure enough, some stations are out of unleaded, and others are out of diesel, some are out of both and Asda's is completely shut, as is Dalgety Bay apprently, and a few in Dunfermline are shut too and everyone appears to be coming to Rosyth for fuel, so I thought sod it, I aint gonna be stuck at home when I dont need to be, and I aint gonna travel to work when I dont have to either, I'll just work from home and speak to people over the phone and only go out when needs must.

It may blow over in the next 2 or 3 days, but if they let the disputes go on until Friday then thats us for 4 weeks, and I'm damn sure a full tank wont last me that length of time.

Unfortunately its too late to say dont follow the hoardes as the panic has set in, stations are selling out and it may continue

I used half a tank today and normally would have left it til it was empty but Im not willing to risk it as Ive seen the queues etc

Guy in the garage said most of their pumps were already dry and wouldnt last over night and they were busy trying to get an emergency fill up

Your just hoping for a few days off work;)

chester copperpot
What like yourself ya arse. I drive everyday from Glasgow' date=' and have followed the advice to not panic, so I have got just over a quarter tank of fuel left for my week's journey. Luckily I'm staying at my Sister's tomorrow, but beyond thursday, I've not got a clue if pumps start running out, as I've no other options except the car, as I'm in quite a remote part of the Weeg.

Your just hoping for a few days off work;)[/quote']

Haha, You've rumbled me. I rely on diesel as I drive to work everyday. If there's no diesel, no work for me. I cannot even drive to the nearest Train station, as its a 25 mile round trip. Cannot get a bus to the station, so might well be off for a few days or so. In the position I'm in though, It doesn't really help my situation. Might be at Carricknowe a bit longer than expected.

The Jambo Janny
Companies cannot afford final salary pension schemes anymore. In fact they have only had a relatively short shelf life.

I don't trust any pension scheme. I don't trust anyone to 'invest' my money. Most 'experts' don't have a ****ing clue. I would rather put my own money into my planned savings/investments and see what happens. If it goes tits up then so be it. I can cope with that. It would be my own doing.

If it goes tits up because some spiky haired 'investment expert' had ****ed my money up against a wall ?

I would want to kill them.

Fair enough CC I hope it works out ok for you -but there are lots of workers who depend on thier works pensions as a financial cushion in their retirement.

As for hard up companies maybe they should start saving money by stopping 'golden handshakes to retiring fat cats and to CEO's who make a ****** up and cost them millions

Nucky Thompson

After reading this thread, I nashed along to Shell at Chesser, not another motor in sight and I drove right up to the pumps:) It must be all you out of town panic merchants that are getting yourselves worked up;)

chester copperpot
After reading this thread, I nashed along to Shell at Chesser, not another motor in sight and I drove right up to the pumps:) It must be all you out of town panic merchants that are getting yourselves worked up;)

When I was driving to pick up the wife from Edinburgh Airport on Sunday mate, all the petrol stations in Edinburgh were stappit fu'.

So maybe you Toonies started this whole process. :evilno:;)

Italian Lambretta

I need my van for call-outs, so I've just filled up with Diesel because I was told that some petrol Stations had already sold out.

I normally fill up twice a week, but diesel runs out I'm stuffed and there will be a lot of cheesed off people standing outside there front doors with no way of getting in.:mad:

No Diesel No Work No money:confused:

But never mind it will still be :107years: since the filth won the cup:)

The Old Tolbooth

Either everyones at work and the pumps have quietened down a bit, or the strikes been called off and everythings back to normal.

Father Tiresias

This is the type of message that has led to panic buying causing some filling stations to run out of petrol.

The word is DON'T PANIC BUY.

This is the type of message that has led to panic buying causing some filling stations to run out of petrol.

The word is DON'T PANIC BUY.

Problem is, people hear the phrase "PANIC BUY!" and that's what happens. Even if it was "no need to PANIC BUY!" Always going to happen.

I'm not too worried about this, hopefully all will be sorted out by tomorrow;)

Archived