Can we focus on the positives?

Ryan Gosling

Ryan Gosling

Came from behind to win for the first time in 3 years.

Glen scored, and was excellent.

Thomson is a more than able deputy at right back.

Larry scored a beauty.

Eggert had his best game in a long time and got his first goal.

Any more?

Ray Winstone

Larry scored a beauty.

Any more?

Thomson does not have to be a deputy does he?

Could he not be the right back at least for the rest of the season!

Charlie-Brown

Larry scored a beauty.

Any more?

I hope Thomson is a replacement not a deputy!

Larry scored a beauty.

Any more?

Glen was excellent and looked very good

Thomson was pish tbh, never an SPL player and in a game were St Midden played tactics which should have given him freedom to impress he never, looked a decent passer but no pace, aggression or much else

Larry looked up for it today

Ditto with eggert

With Berra, Eggert, Larry and Glen I think we have the foundations for next season, we just need to build on it with similar quality

I quite liked the look of Makela too, didnt do much but looked like we actually had 2 strikers capable of scoring for the first time in a long time

I'd like to see Banks, Neilson, Wallace, Berra, McGowan, Miko, Larry, Eggert, Driver, Makela, Glen together as I feel we may just have a top team there

Graham Thomson

Thomson and Glen, were both very good today. certainly should play untill the end of the season.

Charlie-Brown

Thomson was pish tbh, never an SPL player and in a game were St Midden played tactics which should have given him freedom to impress he never, looked a decent passer but no pace, aggression or much else

Ditto with eggert

With Berra, Eggert, Larry and Glen I think we have the foundations for next season, we just need to build on it with similar quality

I quite liked the look of Makela too, didnt do much but looked like we actually had 2 strikers capable of scoring for the first time in a long time

I'd like to see Banks, Neilson, Wallace, Berra, McGowan, Miko, Larry, Eggert, Driver, Makela, Glen together as I feel we may just have a top team there

Passing - that alone put's Thomson ahead of Neilson in my book - the other parts of his game like aggression can be worked on and with more games will come more confidence.

Passing - that alone put's Thomson ahead of Neilson in my book - the other parts of his game like aggression can be worked on and with more games will come more confidence.

Hmmm im not convinced at all

Ive seen him about 3 times in the reserves too and each time think the same, distinctly average

I cant see him as an SPL player, he has first division written on him imo

He doesnt look like he has improved since he was 17 too me

jamboinglasgow

the U19's won as well today against a strong side in Celtic.

young players shining. Glen BBC man of the match.

Coming back from behind.

these are some posistives.

Charlie-Brown

Ive seen him about 3 times in the reserves too and each time think the same, distinctly average

That sounds more like Neilson you're talking about.

Larry scored a beauty.

Any more?

Clubs rotten to the core and the fans get no respect from those above.

Sorry positves you wanted eh.... not used to them, you'll have to give me a while.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Thought Glen was excellent, good movement, touch and held the ball up well. Took his goal well although probably shiuld have scored the first time, but thats being hyper critical.

Thomson did Okay but no more than that. Didn't show that he was better than Neilson IMO.

rudi must stay

Larry scored a beauty.

Any more?

not too sure about Thomson, nothing wrong with his defending but he got caught out of position a few times. Another positive though was Banks, he had a great game ;)

Thomson was average, but didn't have much to do

Glen looked very good. Good pace, put himself about a bit for a small guy. Showed good touches and control

Should have scored first time, but he did well to keep his head

Also didn't hide despite a few nasty challenges. He showed his potential this week, and I would have him as my first choice striker til the end of the season (it was unfair to judge him against Killie after Frail played him as a lone striker then a left winger :evilno:)

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Playing in youngsters in no mark games is undoubtedly useful and it looks like both took their chance well.

That's all the good that has come out this week.

Miller Jambo 60
Clubs rotten to the core and the fans get no respect from those above.

Sorry positves you wanted eh.... not used to them, you'll have to give me a while.

Correck Kenny i am the same.

Might go to Falkirk just for a drink and see you guys.

I enjoyed the game today.

Been a while since I've said that.

It was quite nice with no pressure on. It was just a really fun game

Fat Striker

Ditto with eggert

Really? Apart from his goal I thought he was wasteful and greedy on a number of occasions.

Thompson had a bit of a shaky start but his confidence improved and he was solid enough.

Glen and Eggert both had great games.

Really? Apart from his goal I thought he was wasteful and greedy on a number of occasions.

Thompson had a bit of a shaky start but his confidence improved and he was solid enough.

Glen and Eggert both had great games.

Agree with all of that.

Particularly the bit about Kingston.

Charlie-Brown

Thomson was making one of his first few appearances in the team and his first this season - he has the potential to improve with a run of games & grow in confidence - Neilson is as 'good' as he's ever going to be - we already know what he is capable of - I'd rather see JT get a run of games & see what he's got to offer.

Ditto with eggert

The two highlighted should be binned!

We need a right back in the summer and have done for several years now!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

How about giving him a chance?

It's beyond me how you can judge a player on only his 2nd or 3rd competitive SPL game.

It is amazing that Kingston's magnificent free kick was only the 2nd best goal today.

That Mason goal was an absolute beauty.

Ryan Gosling
It is amazing that Kingston's magnificent free kick was only the 2nd best goal today.

That Mason goal was an absolute beauty.

I thought their first was good too.

portobellojambo1

Ditto with eggert

Were you actually at the game, apart from his goal he was honking. Continually lost the ball, was very, very greedy, and I thought was one of the poorer players on a day when I must admit I was bored stupid. As games go it was end of season p i s s, nothing at stake and boy did it show.

I thought their first was good too.

Was a lovely strike too, but I thought Banks had 2 hands to it and it went through him. Kingston and Mason's were unsaveable.

rudi must stay
Were you actually at the game, apart from his goal he was honking. Continually lost the ball, was very, very greedy, and I thought was one of the poorer players on a day when I must admit I was bored stupid. As games go it was end of season p i s s, nothing at stake and boy did it show.

it was the best game i've been to all season. 5 goals, 3 of them absolutely class. what more can you want?

Dirk Diggler
Was a lovely strike too, but I thought Banks had 2 hands to it and it went through him. Kingston and Mason's were unsaveable.

Correct.

I said at the time Banks should have saved it and i'll stand by that.

Masons goal was a screamer.

Good Jambo that he is.:oopsoops:

Correct.

Basso would have saved it

Dirk Diggler
Basso would have saved it

That thought did cross my mind also.

Thought he was extremely unfortunate to be dropped after his MOM performance at Rugby Park.

Charlie-Brown
Correct.

I remember watching Gary Mason in the same Hearts youth teams as Gary Naysmith & Scott Severin and was disappointed when he decided to sign for Man City instead.

Dirk Diggler

On a less than positive note, I had to send my Steak Pie back as it was cremated to the foil and was completely inedible.

Vlad out.

Dirk Diggler
I remember watching Gary Mason in the same Hearts youth teams as Gary Naysmith & Scott Severin and was disappointed when he decided to sign for Man City instead.

Yep.

A very decent player who could have played at a higher level with a bit of luck IMO.

portobellojambo1
If the BBC site is to be believed (or not up to date yet) we had no bookings.

I think that is right BOOF, someone made some tongue in cheek/sarcy (sp,) comment to that effect during the game which went along the lines of "it is not a situation I am used to watching so could someone tell me, are there no bookings dished out in bottom 6 fixtures at the end of the season".

After a poor start, I enjoyed the game because it was entertaining (for once).

Very pleased for Glen and a lot of our other so-called strikers should take a look at how he played. Eggert played really well too. Thomson was solid, although I still think he's a backup player rather than a starter.

I'd agree that Banks should have got the first goal and I'd also comment on Nade, but then again it's supposed to be a positive thread. Juho was ten times more effective when he came on and could have scored a couple of goals, especially if a couple of players had passed to him. He should start next week.

I thought we did pretty well today. We tried to play football & there was quite a lot of decent movement, getting into scoring positions & attacking football on show.

Also, no hoofballs from the right back area, instead sensible passing to a team-mate tactics by Thomson who I thought played well & looked comfortable.

Eggert was my MOM, quality show & possibly his best display so far.

Encouraging that he & Glen in particular were positive & composed in possession. Glen looked like a striker, so much more natural up there than Elliott or Mole.

Miko played well too, in a more defensive way than usual. He seemed to sit more as Larry played further forward & he defended well. Seemed enthused by the younger players.

Next week i'd like to see one of the younger wide players on the bench instead of Kestutis & McGowan instead of Zaliukas.

We didn't miss Robbie, Elliott or Audrey, so they'd be no loss for next season.

portobellojambo1
it was the best game i've been to all season. 5 goals, 3 of them absolutely class. what more can you want?

Sorry for not replying RMS, I posted something on this thread about 19:00, without looking back through it, then sat watching the Barcelona v Espanyol game, and have only just read through the thread again as it was just pulled back to the top of the board.

I cannot explain why I was bored today, the whole atmosphere just seemed flat, I think, in my case, it was possibly just a knock on from the aftermath of what happened within the AGM, a bit of anger that we actually find ourselves in the bottom 6, frustration, I don't know I just couldn't get up for it today in the same way as previous Saturdays.

And I suppose if you go into a game with the sort of attitude I had today I imagine it affects how you actually take in what you are witnessing on the park. I just couldn't get up for today's game at all, I really didn't enjoy it, and that is why I posted as I did originally.

It hurts to say its another win where we paper over gaping wounds.

Its happened a few times this season but its hard to celebrate a good performance when you consider whats happening at the club.

Was obviously good to see young players hold there own, lets hope that trend continues to leave some sort of good news on this season.

Ryan Gosling
It hurts to say its another win where we paper over gaping wounds.

Its happened a few times this season but its hard to celebrate a good performance when you consider whats happening at the club.

Was obviously good to see young players hold there own, lets hope that trend continues to leave some sort of good news on this season.

How is it papering over the cracks? There's a massive big crack that we're now playing around.

My brother was at the game today and his account of it was the same as yours. Spookliy verbatim to be honest. I'm going next week with him and my old man and the best bit sounds like the hour and a half in the boozer beforehand. No change there then.

How is it papering over the cracks? There's a massive big crack that we're now playing around.

Because there will always be a fan out there who will forget about the problems after wins (understand it St Mirren), its happened a few times this season.

I can see why people feel releaved, we all want good results, if we had won the league etc I'm sure people would forget about debts and our strange owner... would have been an interesting week had we been beat today.

jamboinglasgow
Because there will always be a fan out there who will forget about the problems after wins (understand it St Mirren), its happened a few times this season.

I can see why people feel releaved, we all want good results, if we had won the league etc I'm sure people would forget about debts and our strange owner... would have been an interesting week had we been beat today.

you dont forget about the problems on and off the pitch because of today's result. I think it has been a much needed result as it at least gives us something to be happy with at hearts even if it is for the five minutes after full time. I dont think thats a bad thing. Tomorrow most people will be going back to shouting vlad out etcbut at least let us have some happiness among all the negative feeling and sadness.

I was at the game today but from previous comments I am now doubtful. Kingston was both lazy and greedy, preferring to be showy rather than constructive. I suspect he is one of the overpaid players Rodney alluded to yesterday.

Thomson played it safe which was fair enough but in honesty he was no better/worse than Robbie.

Glen showed some fine touches and could easily make it with the right partner, but who?

I am surprised no one has mentioned the contribution today of Berra and Karipidis, or are we starting to take them for granted. And SB had one wonder save in the 2nd half!

Broxburn_Jambo
Thomson does not have to be a deputy does he?

Could he not be the right back at least for the rest of the season!

Better fan than who?

Dr Ian Malcolm

Go down to Old Trafford in three weeks and see how many of them are still bitching about the Glazers? They'll probably win the title, are they papering over the cracks? Ofcourse success means people focus on the positive - the world would be a damn miserable place if you ca't be positive sometimes.

We've not been good enough this season, everyone knows that, we must be better next season. Can't see how winning today has masked that fact?

Very close to where Wallace was positioned for his time on the park and have to say he really struggled at times. Goncalves, despite his passing in the first ten minutes, looked much more assured defensively.

Why is this a positive?

Because at least Vlad knows which players (aka decent ones) to force upon a manager.

Disclaimer: kidding!

Only a Game

The best way to look at yesterdays game was imagine it was a pre-season friendly.Not exactly a leap of faith if you think about it, played at slow pace with not much passion, no tangible reward for winning and a few new players on show,

As a pre-season friendly I thought Glen and Jonnson looked pretty good. Thomson was assured if unspectacular. Theres nothing much wrong with us in central defence. Wallace looked a bit better and Banks would do if we got no-one else better. So defensively we looked okay for the coming season

(although it was only a friendly against poor oposition)

Up front we've got several weeks to either get what we have sorted or get rid of it and get at least two new ones in. I suspect the latter will need to be done.

Midfield we think we're better than we actually are. The two goals we lost were more down to the midfield failing to close space than they were to the defence IMO. Jonnson's okay as I said and Palazuleos is alright if he's on his left foot and keeping it simple. Kingston looks like he doesnt want to be there though and the rest of our cast of thousands in that department need to be binned or seriously up their game.

For a pre-season friendly I'd sum it up as having identified one or two positives and confirmed one or two shortfalls.

Jambof3tornado
Very close to where Wallace was positioned for his time on the park and have to say he really struggled at times. Goncalves, despite his passing in the first ten minutes, looked much more assured defensively.

Why is this a positive?

Because at least Vlad knows which players (aka decent ones) to force upon a manager.

Disclaimer: kidding!

If he was forced on Frail its purely to sell him on and not for the benefit of the team(no problem with that). Wallace will be the left back next season,unless we bring someone else in.:)

Archived