Why do people hate the royal family?

Craigieboy

Yes it's up to the people, absolutely.

And the seven out of ten thing I'm trying to show that being a monarchy needn't disturb the mindset of the people to preclude egalitarianism and liberal social democracy - so I don't know if it's relevant or not.

Cool. I inititially read that as you saying "7/10 of the fairest, egalitarian states are monarchy, therefore it's monarchy that has done this".

My misinterpretation. :thumbsup:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Craig Gordons Gloves

i'd pump Kate tbh.

i'm not so keen on pumping the rest of them though.

Because they are union-loving arse bandits.

Auld Liz & Arthur Scargill best friends forever?

Oh.....THAT Union.....:whistling:

PsychocAndy

Am I a U.K. citizen or a subject of the Queen?

Johanes de Silentio

Queen tried to use state poverty fund to heat Buckingham Palace.

Ministers were asked if money earmarked for schools, hospitals and low-income families could be used to meet soaring fuel bills.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/queen-tried-to-use-state-poverty-fund-to-heat-buckingham-palace-2088179.html

Still, bless her, eh?

dobmisterdobster

The Queen does a fabulous job as head of state.

Pretty much. She's impartial, unlike a Labour/Tory "President" that would replace her.

And it would be possible to have a Head of State President that is apolitical, as such (and elected). See the German model.

I'll do it.

Campaign manager, Boris?

Genuine question?

These are people who by coincidence have been born into a privileged background. They didn't ask for it and some might even resent it.

So shy do people dislike them, as if its their fault that they are in the position that they are.

I don't hate them personally. I just hate the concept of Britain having a monarchy in the year 2012.

I have no bad feeling towards the Queen.. as far as i can tell she has lived most of her life to promote the greatness of Britain..

She costs each person in the UK less than a chocolate bar..

Look back through your life and think about what could be dragged up about your past.. There is probably plenty.. As far as I am aware the Queen has lived a life in the spotlight and hasn't ever stepped out of turn..

She has lived a privileged life but then so does anyone who is born into a rich family in any country in the world..

PsychocAndy

Am I a U.K. citizen or a subject of the Queen?

I'd like an answer from someone please

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd like an answer from someone please

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Do you have a British passport? The answer is inside.

I grew up in a wee Welsh mining village and my folks hated the royal family. We switched the Queen off on Xmas day. I remember her coming to the nearest town in the 70's and street parties for her silver jubilee. I have a weird relationship with the monarchy. I served in the Royal Air Force and find the history and pomp and ceremony of it all quite interesting. I know they cost a fortune but they make a fortune for the country and I quite like the way the more modern royals are becoming a wee bit more accessible.

It's the dukes and duchesses and lords and ladies etc that nip my sweeties. All the minor knobs. Pippa f'n Middleton and Lady Di.

PsychocAndy

Do you have a British passport? The answer is inside.

Geoff I'd be unlikely to find my erse with both hands so finding my passport is an unimaginable feat.

Genuine question?

These are people who by coincidence have been born into a privileged background. They didn't ask for it and some might even resent it.

So shy do people dislike them, as if its their fault that they are in the position that they are.

Because of all the oxygen they waste, living and breathing.

shaun.lawson

Because the have no legitimate claim/right to the enormous wealth and privilege that they were born into.

No one person/group should be automatically exalted above any other.

But they're not exalted. Nowadays, they're generally ridiculed.

We've never got rid of them (well, apart from during the 1640s, that is), because there's been no practical reason to do so. That's the British: we're practical and pragmatic, and tend to leave ideology and dogma, and the revolutions which result, to others. Even now, and always allowing for the fact that the whole of the Western world has shifted rightwards over the last 30 years or so, the British electorate are maybe the most centrist on the entire planet.

Yes, you can come up with bazillions of philosophical reasons why the monarchy is an anachronism, why it's the very antithesis of democracy, how a modern country should be about ability, not nobility and all the rest of it. But the point is, because it's a constitutional monarchy with no political power whatsoever, all those arguments are, in the end, irrelavant to the reality. If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and as far as the vast majority of British people are concerned, it still ain't broke.

Of course, whereas the Queen is respected (and the Queen Mother was loved), quite how the public will deal with King Charles and de facto Queen Camilla will be another matter. Those will be very interesting times to live through indeed: assuming they actually happen, that is. But the chances are, William and Kate will end up restoring the monarchy's popularity anyway. It's entirely plausible that during the next 50 years, the political construct of the UK will disappear: Scotland could become independent, Ireland could become united. But the monarchy will still be here a century from now, even if it's only to provide the head of state of England and Wales: people just don't want to get rid of them, PA.

Johanes de Silentio

But they're not exalted. Nowadays, they're generally ridiculed.

people just don't want to get rid of them, PA.

Where do they live? Where do you live?

How many holiday homes do they have? How many holiday homes do you have?

What kind of lifestyle do they have? What kind of lifestyle do you have?

How many servants do they have? How many servants do you have?

Who funds them? Who funds you?

Maybe 'exalted' isn't exactly the right word, but they have access to incredible wealth and privilege that the rest of us don't - others have to earn wealth, rather than being born into it.

Some people want rid of them, Shaun - I do, as do a fair few people who have posted on this thread.

southside1874

Having or not having a royal family will have no bearing on my life so therefore I don't see the point in me having a bearing on their life. There has been a huge amount of folk that have became wealthy by the collapse of the USSR and their offspring will be born into the silver spoon crowd now. More than likely devoid of any class but wealthy.

Folk that get over excited with the royal family are a bit extreme.........imo

southside1874

Sometimes I'd like to eat a swan.

That's all I'm saying.

They don't taste that good. That's why we eat chicken :thumbsup:

If I was the king, I'd make it so only I could eat king rib suppers (unless I invited you round for tea and darts).

I'd ban hibs, jellyfish, warm lager, and dafties.

VOTE FOR ME, JKB.

southside1874

If I was the king, I'd make it so only I could eat king rib suppers (unless I invited you round for tea and darts).

VOTE FOR ME, JKB.

I like feeding my pet Hibby raw jellyfish and warm lager. Without Hibs I don't think I would and could laugh so much. So It's a No vote from me :whistling:

Vlad-Stupid

That's Portobello messed then. Nuclear strike?

shaun.lawson

Where do they live? Where do you live?

How many holiday homes do they have? How many holiday homes do you have?

What kind of lifestyle do they have? What kind of lifestyle do you have?

How many servants do they have? How many servants do you have?

Who funds them? Who funds you?

Maybe 'exalted' isn't exactly the right word, but they have access to incredible wealth and privilege that the rest of us don't - others have to earn wealth, rather than being born into it.

Some people want rid of them, Shaun - I do, as do a fair few people who have posted on this thread.

Is money the only thing that's important in life, PA? Genuine question. As I've said before, I think their lifestyle is ******* awful: none of them chose it, yet they're treated like public property, and are granted no privacy whatsoever.

Being born into a lifestyle like that would drive me to suicide tbh. I can't see what's good about it at all.

southside1874

Is money the only thing that's important in life, PA? Genuine question. As I've said before, I think their lifestyle is ******* awful: none of them chose it, yet they're treated like public property, and are granted no privacy whatsoever.

Being born into a lifestyle like that would drive me to suicide tbh. I can't see what's good about it at all.

If money is the only thing important in life then you can never fulfill the appetite. We all work for reward and if money is the reward then it could take forever to feel content. Accepting what control or what you can and can't influence is more important.

Geoff Kilpatrick

PA, do you think a President would have a different lifestyle? You know, live in a semi, commute to work, meet and greet dignitaries, sign off laws and then jump on the 1800 home?

Criticising the system and rejecting it is your democratic right but to criticise their lifestyle is simply inverted snobbery. A president would have a similar lifestyle. It would just be a different one every x number of years!

PA, do you think a President would have a different lifestyle? You know, live in a semi, commute to work, meet and greet dignitaries, sign off laws and then jump on the 1800 home?

Criticising the system and rejecting it is your democratic right but to criticise their lifestyle is simply inverted snobbery. A president would have a similar lifestyle. It would just be a different one every x number of years!

This

Johanes de Silentio

I don't believe for a second that money is the most important thing in life, Shaun - you know that.

Their lifestyle is ******* awesome, though - gimme some of that, please - nae work on Monday - never having to scramble about to make sure your next purchase is covered by what's in the bank? Have a ******* word, Shaun!

True in real life. In the ideal world, they are omnigood. In the ideal world the lifestyles of all human's would be similar. Nothing wrong with being jealous, especially when the recipient of the benefits of class has no skills other than an accident of birth, which of course is not actually a skill.

Why should the less skilful person be worth more simply by accident? Horrible system. I particularly enjoy the meritocracy of football.

Johanes de Silentio

PA, do you think a President would have a different lifestyle?

Ideally, the elected Head of State will have earned a lifestyle that allows them to serve the public to the best of their ability.

southside1874

I don't believe for a second that money is the most important thing in life, Shaun - you know that.

Their lifestyle is ******* awesome, though - gimme some of that, please - nae work on Monday - never having to scramble about to make sure your next purchase is covered by what's in the bank? Have a ******* word, Shaun!

The bank have most of us by the balls. They have the world by the balls. They have folk with money by the balls and they have folk without money by the balls.It appears that we rent our life from the banks. You come in with nothing and you leave with nothing. What you do in between is what matters. :thumbsup:

Johanes de Silentio

The bank have most of us by the balls. They have the world by the balls. They have folk with money by the balls and they have folk without money by the balls.It appears that we rent our life from the banks. You come in with nothing and you leave with nothing. What you do in between is what matters. :thumbsup:

Banks are evil. :thumbsup:

Not sure that they're much more evil than the Royal Family, who perpetuate the system, imo.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ideally, the elected Head of State will have earned a lifestyle that allows them to serve the public to the best of their ability.

I love your ideal world.

Look at America for starters. Did the younger Bush earn his lifestyle before he became president? Did Jack Kennedy earn his lifestyle? No, both ended up with connections and privileges due to shady actions by their families in the past.

At least the Queen's ancestors have been better behaved since the Empire reached its highpoint in Queen Victoria's reign! :laugh:

Monarchy or republic doesn't really matter in my mind, which is why I don't see the need for change, but I would refuse to give any president any power like the French and US systems.

Johanes de Silentio

I love your ideal world.

Look at America for starters. Did the younger Bush earn his lifestyle before he became president? Did Jack Kennedy earn his lifestyle? No, both ended up with connections and privileges due to shady actions by their families in the past.

At least the Queen's ancestors have been better behaved since the Empire reached its highpoint in Queen Victoria's reign! :laugh:

Monarchy or republic doesn't really matter in my mind, which is why I don't see the need for change, but I would refuse to give any president any power like the French and US systems.

There are huge problems with Western 'democracy' - no doubt about it.

Start fixing those problems by removing freeloaders like the Royal Family - they're the subject of the thread, btw.

Johanes de Silentio

I love your ideal world.

If we can't aim to make things better, what's the point?

True in real life. In the ideal world, they are omnigood. In the ideal world the lifestyles of all human's would be similar. Nothing wrong with being jealous, especially when the recipient of the benefits of class has no skills other than an accident of birth, which of course is not actually a skill.

Why should the less skilful person be worth more simply by accident? Horrible system. I particularly enjoy the meritocracy of football.

Meritocracy of football? Really? In Scotland?

Johanes de Silentio

I'll bet Kate Middleton tastes awright! ;)

We could get rid of them at any time if we chose to, but the vast majority of the population wants the status quo.

That's democracy for ya.

Archived