Sony Music OpenMG

Jambojohnnyboy

Jambojohnnyboy

The other half bought a CD last night that sony released in 2004 and it has copy protection on it, I downloaded the software SonicSource (as recommneded on the Sony Website) which is supposed to allow me to transfer the disk to the PC but when I import the CD and play it back, it is cutting in and out, I even tried converting it to MP3 but that doesn't work either. Anyone have the answer or any suggestions?

Carl Spackler
The other half bought a CD last night that sony released in 2004 and it has copy protection on it, I downloaded the software SonicSource (as recommneded on the Sony Website) which is supposed to allow me to transfer the disk to the PC but when I import the CD and play it back, it is cutting in and out, I even tried converting it to MP3 but that doesn't work either. Anyone have the answer or any suggestions?

I'm sure Sony got blasted a few years ago for screwing with people's computers to stop them copying discs. They used a "rootkit" which is apparantly a bit naughty. Search for "Sony Rootkit" in google.

Jambojohnnyboy
I'm sure Sony got blasted a few years ago for screwing with people's computers to stop them copying discs. They used a "rootkit" which is apparantly a bit naughty. Search for "Sony Rootkit" in google.

Think this CD came out before the XCP furore, it's not on the list of albums affected.

Found that using Exact Audio Copy will allow me to rip without the protection, has anyone used this sofware.

I just want to get the music on an MP3 player.

I vaguely remember something about holding the shift key down when inserting the disk stops the protection software from loading and you can rip it.

I've got thousands of CDs and never failed to rip one.

Jambojohnnyboy
I vaguely remember something about holding the shift key down when inserting the disk stops the protection software from loading and you can rip it.

I've got thousands of CDs and never failed to rip one.

Thanks for the tip, it stopped all the other **** on the disk loading but the tracks were still inaudible.

Anyone else got any tips?

Try a low tech solution and feed an audio cable from the line out port on your PC to the mic port / line in on the MP3 player and press play, recording it on the other end. You may even be able to loop it using the same PC (ie cable from line out to line in).

One of these should do the trick for recording if using a PC for it...

http://www.nch.com.au/software/soundrec.html

Jambojohnnyboy
Try a low tech solution and feed an audio cable from the line out port on your PC to the mic port / line in on the MP3 player and press play, recording it on the other end. You may even be able to loop it using the same PC (ie cable from line out to line in).

One of these should do the trick for recording if using a PC for it...

http://www.nch.com.au/software/soundrec.html

The problem is that even playing the disk the sound cuts in and out with lots of strange noises and duplication, so not sure that your idea will work I'm afraid.

The problem is that even playing the disk the sound cuts in and out with lots of strange noises and duplication, so not sure that your idea will work I'm afraid.

Does it work on a CD player? If not then I'd take it back as it's faulty, if so then run the line from that to your PC.

Jambojohnnyboy
Does it work on a CD player? If not then I'd take it back as it's faulty, if so then run the line from that to your PC.

Plays fine on car stereo and on the DVD player, it appears to be just the PC that has problems with it.

If I ran a cable from the stereo into the PC what would I use to record it, windows media?

Archived