What has football taught you?

Guest Alex Guttenplan

Guest Just Came To Say Kello

Humiliating your biggest rivals 5-1 in the biggest cup final for over a century may herald a new era for the club, so as I'm still tired, bruised and barely able to speak a full 2 days later, I think it's the perfect time for a spot of pensive reflection on being a football fan.

What non-obvious life lessons have you learned from being a fan over the years? It could be anything about life - growing up, politics, religion, relationships etc - but things like "never count your chickens until your eggs have hatched" etc are obvious ones I think. It also doesn't have to be Hearts-specific.

I've given it a bit of a think and I've come to the unsatisfactory answer that I don't really know but that isn't to say being a fan hasn't changed me. I started going properly with mates etc when I was 13 and I'm now 20 so I've been been a regular for all of my adolescence and that's bound to have had an effect on the type of person I've become, it's just hard to tell what the effect is. I suppose I'm more of a gobshite than I would have been if I'd picked something else to squander my time on. Learning to be able to handle general banter in strange pubs with people you don't really know's probably a transferable life skill, as are the other general skills of football fans such as learning how to get across the country as cheaply as possible or knowing when trouble's brewing and how to avoid it (or find it) but those are fairly obvious.

I've learned that it's impossible to please everyone, and that the vast majority of people are hypocritical and fickle and that anything that looks hard tends to put people off, but it's the perseverance with the difficult things that makes the highs betteer. I wish I could say that's made me work harder in any of my endeavours. I've also learned how to deal with the police a lot better than any of my non-football fan friends, and that doing illegal things is a lot easier than I was made to believe during police visits at primary school. Learning how to sneak into football grounds or how to talk your way out of suspicion etc. The offshoot of this is that fewer things shock me these days laugh.gif so I've definitely become more of a risk taker.

Summary if you can't be arsed reading the above: I've become a tiny bit more streetwise than I otherwise would be.

Enough about me, what have you lot learned?

to me, supporting the famous has taught me nothing comes easy and every victory is more than countered with small disapointments. but the good times- oh boy are they good!

Tiberius Stinkfinger

30 pints of Lager on Cup Final day will come back to bite you on the erse.

hughesie27

There is a football team from leith that are absolutely atrocious at defending.

And attacking.

And goalkeeping.

And winning.

Sterling Archer

You've got to hold and give

But do it at the right time

You can be slow or fast

But you must get to the line

They'll always hit you and hurt you

Defend and attack

Theres only one way to beat them

Get round the back

30 pints of Lager on Cup Final day will come back to bite you on the erse.

This!

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

That Hibs are absolutely shite

He said non-obvious things.

:D

Archived