Perthes Disease

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

What do we know about it guys and gals? Just been informed that daughter has it. Just wondering if anyone here has ever came across it and how things went!Very down at the moment, not for me, for her, shes very active but the trampolines got to go! Not allowed it!

my brother had that, spent some time in traction. i'll ask him what he can recall

Already googled it and can understand it, just very p&ssed off tho!

How old is your daughter mate?

In case that gets taken the wrong way, it says on Wikipedia:

"Children younger than 6 or 7 have the best prognosis since they have time for the dead bone to revascularize and remodel."

Doctor FinnBarr
How old is your daughter mate?

In case that gets taken the wrong way, it says on Wikipedia:

"Children younger than 6 or 7 have the best prognosis since they have time for the dead bone to revascularize and remodel."

8, a bad age for it apparently!

That's a shame but kids are amazing things. They just get on with things that adults get all depressed about. Fingers crossed it won't be too bad but I'm confident that she will do a whole lot better than one of us "grown ups" will do.

Don't know an awful lot about it but did have some teaching about it a few months back. You'll probably get more out of Wikipedia and the likes and talking to doctors or people with first hand experience but here goes anyway...

The case we studied (based on a true story) was diagnosed at about 6 i think. Patient had to be in leg braces and have a lot of bed rest for a couple of years but after that led a completely normal life, played football and cricket as a teenager etc.

Patient went on to develop osteoarthritis at the age of about 55 which reduced his mobility to a degree but he was still able to do a lot of the things he enjoyed.

Obviously this patient was diagnosed a good few years ago and i would imagine that treatment has improved somewhat since then.

It will no doubt be slightly different in every patient, but with the right treatment theres a chance she could soon be back to doing everything she enjoys right now and leading a perfectly normal life for many years to come.

It may not be the best of times just now, but as someone else said kids are amazing at keeping their heads up through stuff that adults wouldn't manage the same way.

All the best with it all anyway, I hope she's allowed her trampoline back sometime in the not too distant future!

Hope she's doing well, mate. Doesn't sound too pleasant.

Note: there was a McDairmid Park joke somewhere in there that i chose not to use.

From Wikipedia: It is the idiopathic avascular osteonecrosis of the capital femoral epiphysis of the femoral head.

That clears things up.

Seriously though, best wishes to the wee one, mate; judging by the comments here, it looks as if it can be overcome! I agee with what Tazio says, too; kids just seem to be able to get over anything and not let it affect them.

I was diagnosed with this when I was 5 years old. The treatment at the time was 6 months in traction and then the next 3 years wearing a caliper on my leg, although that was nearly 40 years ago and I think they may do things differently now.

It didn't really stop me doing most of the things that a more able-bodied child would do, I still managed to climb trees, play hide & seek and ride a bike (with 1 leg on the handlebars).

I'm sure everything will turn out fine for your daughter and I wish you and yours all the best.

I've seen quite a lot of kids with Perthes and in my experience, it's not so bad and the prognosis is usually good. I work at a children's hospital and it never fails to amaze me how resilient the kids are when faced with medical issues that would make you or I depressed.

In simple terms, it degenerates the femoral head (the ball that fits in the hip socket) and is more uncomfortable than painful.

The docs will have her x-rayed quite regularly over the next couple of years although she may need CT or MRI for soft tissue contrast.

With the kids I see, the docs find the position that alleviates most pressure from the hip joints and fix their legs in the position with a external fixators. These keep the legs in the same position and they only really remove them for x-rays. These can look a bit odd but the kids get used to them in no time. She'll be whizzing about in a couple of days. A common one is is both ankles being connected with a long wooden bracket that keeps the feet pointing in a 10 to 2 position (like on a clock face) and about 2-3 feet apart. Like I said, this looks worse than it is and the kids adapt so quickly.

I take it you are in Edinburgh? If you are in Glasgow, you will probably be coming to see me at Yorkhill sick kids.

Archived