Tropical Fish Aquarium

hmfc_liam06

hmfc_liam06

Many moons ago when I was a kid I used to own a tropical fish aquarium and I have taken a notion to getting a set up for the living room. It's been ages since I run one so Kickbackers, does anyone run an aquarium? Anyone offer advice on setting up/running one and what kinds of fish etc to look out for?

I am looking at getting a Fluval Edge, I have read the reviews about being difficult to clean but I'll get round that, the tank itself looks the business!

Notorious BIG

I got one about 5 months ago, Have to admit the novelty has worn off but It still looks decent, Get bottom feeders ASAP as they clear up all the loose food on the bottom of the tank and get a plecy aswell they keep the walls of the tank clean so u dont have to :thumbsup:

hmfc_liam06

I got one about 5 months ago, Have to admit the novelty has worn off but It still looks decent, Get bottom feeders ASAP as they clear up all the loose food on the bottom of the tank and get a plecy aswell they keep the walls of the tank clean so u dont have to :thumbsup:

Yeah I had a plecy first time around, grew to some size!

Yeah I had a plecy first time around, grew to some size!

I have a huge plecy in my tank, he is the King.

Carl Fredrickson

We have a small(ish) cold water tank with a couple of comets in it for our son.

I quite like the thought of keeping fish - is it much difference in time/commitment in keeping a tropical tank?

CavySlaveJambo

No it isn't.

The only difference would be making sure that you don't temperature shock the fish when changing water.

Carl Fredrickson

No it isn't.

The only difference would be making sure that you don't temperature shock the fish when changing water.

Cheers, will Google some advice too :thumbsup:

Make sure you cycle your tank first, Fishless is best and can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to complete.

This just ensures that the bacteria needed to keep the tank healthy has matured enough to keep all the stuff harmful to the fish at bay.

Most fish retailers will ask how long your tank has been set up for before selling you any fish to try and establish that your tank is safe for the fish to go into.

There is plenty of advice on cycling your tank on the many forums out there.

"Fish keeping forum" has a beginners section with good advice on cycling your tank.

Carl Fredrickson

Make sure you cycle your tank first, Fishless is best and can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to complete.

This just ensures that the bacteria needed to keep the tank healthy has matured enough to keep all the stuff harmful to the fish at bay.

Most fish retailers will ask how long your tank has been set up for before selling you any fish to try and establish that your tank is safe for the fish to go into.

There is plenty of advice on cycling your tank on the many forums out there.

"Fish keeping forum" has a beginners section with good advice on cycling your tank.

Cheers mate - we are moving house soon so may set up a new tank for a few weeks once we move.

Archived