War memorials in Belgium

Budgie.

Hi

Off to Belgium on Saturday with the school again for the p7 annual residential trip.

Once again we are going to Tyne Cot cemetery and the Menin Gate. Last year I took a picture of a couple of memorials of JKB members' relatives.

If anybody wants me to look for a name this year and take a pic then just drop me a PM. :thumbsup:

Currahee!

Are you going all over Belgium?

I've done Normandy and it is brilliant. I fancy doing Belgium at some point.

Got a wee taster for it in Stavelot when we were at the Belgian GP. Its in the heart of the Bulge. :thumbsup:

Currahee!

We go to Ypres, Passchandaele and Brugges as well as a place in Holland :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy it mate. :thumbsup:

I'll need to get this done now too. :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy it mate. :thumbsup:

I'll need to get this done now too. :thumbsup:

Thanks bud.

Better go get my case packed! :)

Has that been a year already?

I'd love to go over there at some point.

Yeah, it's flown in mate.

You should definitely go. The museums are fantastic and the Menin Gate and Tyne Cot cemetery really pull on your heart strings.

Saw a brilliant picture of an old soldier a few weeks back at Tyne Cot. Will try and find it...

Yeah, it's flown in mate.

You should definitely go. The museums are fantastic and the Menin Gate and Tyne Cot cemetery really pull on your heart strings.

Saw a brilliant picture of an old soldier a few weeks back at Tyne Cot. Will try and find it...

Sounds good. :thumb:

I've been watching the old BBC war documentary, 'The Great War', which was made in the 60s, and is widely acclaimed for being the most comprehensive documentary about WW1. It really hits home just how grim that war really was, and the number of casualties inflicted on all sides is quite staggering.

All of the episodes, around 25 or so, are on YouTube in 10 minute installments. :lol:

Another great visit this year.

Added in an extra stop at the German cemetery at Langemark so that the pupils could compare it with the Allied cemetery at Tyne Cot.

Was blown away with it to be honest. Langemark has a huge mass grave where thousands of German troops are buried and the officers' were buried standing up so their souls couldn't go to heaven. Everything is in black stone and the entrance to the cemetery is like a dungeon with a moat. Overhanging trees make it feel really dark and almost evil.

Had taught the pupils that the German soldiers were simply doing their duty and fighting for their country and that it was those in power who were evil. Many were shocked to see Langemark.

Does anybody know if Allied cemeteries in Germany are treated the same way?

:unsure:

Another great visit this year.

Added in an extra stop at the German cemetery at Langemark so that the pupils could compare it with the Allied cemetery at Tyne Cot.

Was blown away with it to be honest. Langemark has a huge mass grave where thousands of German troops are buried and the officers' were buried standing up so their souls couldn't go to heaven. Everything is in black stone and the entrance to the cemetery is like a dungeon with a moat. Overhanging trees make it feel really dark and almost evil.

Had taught the pupils that the German soldiers were simply doing their duty and fighting for their country and that it was those in power who were evil. Many were shocked to see Langemark.

Does anybody know if Allied cemeteries in Germany are treated the same way?

:unsure:

It's that the one that is like a tomb with all the names on the inside? Went to Belgium in 91 with the school but they also took us to the Somme which was quite surreal.

It's that the one that is like a tomb with all the names on the inside? Went to Belgium in 91 with the school but they also took us to the Somme which was quite surreal.

No, it's all outdoors bud. Think there are one or two others so could have been one of them.

No, it's all outdoors bud. Think there are one or two others so could have been one of them.

I wish I could remember the name of this one we visited but it's 21 years since I was there. I think it's great that schools take kids to see these things as it makes you realise how lucky we are nowadays. We also visited the Menin gate as well as a site where they left the trench system alone so you could see what it was like. But the visit to the Somme was the most moving as it was so quiet but you could feel the presence of all those who lost their lives there. We walked from the British lines to the Germans and the comparisons in trenches was astonishing.

I wish I could remember the name of this one we visited but it's 21 years since I was there. I think it's great that schools take kids to see these things as it makes you realise how lucky we are nowadays. We also visited the Menin gate as well as a site where they left the trench system alone so you could see what it was like. But the visit to the Somme was the most moving as it was so quiet but you could feel the presence of all those who lost their lives there. We walked from the British lines to the Germans and the comparisons in trenches was astonishing.

Yeah, the one with the trenches left untouched is at Sanctuary Wood near Hill 62. Apparently a farmer returned from serving the war to find his field that way and his grandson now owns the labd.

The Last Post at Menin Gate was great and we were able to take part in the ceremony with the school wreath which made it extra special.

Archived