Mcgregor v Gordon

Millfield_Mackem

Millfield_Mackem

Had a bit of debate about this the other day. Whe's the better keeper?

McGregor looks a very good goalkeeper, but Gordon ( being a tiny bit bias) is my choice.

kennygarland1

McGregor looks a very good goalkeeper, but Gordon ( being a tiny bit bias) is my choice.

On recent form you would have to say McGregor,although Gordon has never let Scotland down so should retain his place.

Gordon is a far better keeper.

McGregor is having a great season but he was very average in his first few seasons. When on loan at Dunfermline he made lots of errors.

Gordon has barely put a foot wrong since he made his break through.

Much of a muchness really, Gordon for me though. He'll have the Scotland jersey until he drops a clanger, which doesn't look likely. Craig also appears to be more of a professional and is happy with the one woman!

Millfield_Mackem
Much of a muchness really, Gordon for me though. He'll have the Scotland jersey until he drops a clanger, which doesn't look likely. Craig also appears to be more of a professional and is happy with the one woman!

There's an article somewhere on our board which i shall dig out. It's by Craig's mam. :o

Once again, Mcgregor was poorly positioned for Celtic's opener last night. Far too far off the line. Yes, the shot had lots of swerve, but it has gone in almost in the centre of the goals from 25-30 yards.

He dives for show too much, and I don't think he's big enough. Good keeper, but nowhere near as good as CG.

Goose Baxter

I know Gordon used to like a good camera save, and also like to parry the ball at an easy stop but McGregor takes the biscuit at times!!!!

But i think that with Gordon playing in a better league than McGregor then there should be only one winner to be honest with Gordon playing with a higher level of playing abbiity.

Lee Millar or Drogba/Ronaldo Who will make yo the better keeper??

marshallschunkychicken
Once again, Mcgregor was poorly positioned for Celtic's opener last night. Far too far off the line. Yes, the shot had lots of swerve, but it has gone in almost in the centre of the goals from 25-30 yards.

He dives for show too much, and I don't think he's big enough. Good keeper, but nowhere near as good as CG.

Yup. The ball had a wicked swerve on it last night, but I think he could have got it if he wasn't too busy trying to make the save look good....

Fozzyonthefence

Gordon for me.

Maybe McGregor has been in better form this season but doesn't necessarily mean he's a better keeper. Don't think McGregor could touch Gordon on his form of 2 years ago - he makes good saves, just doesn't regularly make the stunning saves Gordon can make (that one against Werder Bremen excepted).

Both need to command their 6 yard box better imo though & Gordon's kicking still looks dodgy from time to time.

Millfield_Mackem
There's an article somewhere on our board which i shall dig out. It's by Craig's mam. :o

Found it.

He also became captain of Hearts, and after a turbulent time at Tynecastle, where he was the subject of transfer inquiries, he was snapped up by Sunderland boss Roy Keane, becoming Britain's most expensive goalkeeper for a transfer fee of ?9m.

But Heather insists she wasn't overly worried about how he would cope with life in the Premiership, which is rife with playboys and rich young stars regularly engulfed in scandals and controversy.

Heather said: "The one worry is that the transfer figure would put a lot of pressure on him, but hopefully things will continue to go well for him.

"But that's all I was worried about.

"I was aware of the things that come with it, but I've never thought Craig would go down that route, he would never go out drinking.

"He also has a long term girlfriend and isn't into that scene at all.

"He lives with Jennifer in Sunderland. They've been together for about eight years, they met at school.

"He's a quiet lad, and has strong family ties, he still comes home from Sunderland whenever he can.

"I just hope he continues to enjoy life down there. He loves it, and I just want him to do well down there."

Bless him.

chester copperpot

Shot stopping - Gordon.

Handling - Gordon, by a mile.

Kicking - McGregor.

Crosses - Gordon.

Commanding Box - Neither.

Wonder Saves - Gordon.

McGregor has been excellent for Rangers this season, however Gordon is the better keeper.

blondejamtart

He's certainly a very down-to-earth, genuine guy and a real professional (Craig, that is). McGregor's a decent keeper, no doubt about it, but I reckon Craig's got the potential to become world-class.

Agreed and, for me, he gets a big minus for his high feet and knees when he goes for a ball with a forward challenging....e.g. his boot in Elliots lower regions at Tynie. He does that a lot and gets away with it.

alwaysthereinspirit
i think the only thing Mcgregor is better that Gordon at is kicking

The ball?

Millfield_Mackem
He's certainly a very down-to-earth, genuine guy and a real professional (Craig, that is). McGregor's a decent keeper, no doubt about it, but I reckon Craig's got the potential to become world-class.

So does Buffon.

I just hope it's with us. :)

i think the only thing Mcgregor is better that Gordon at is kicking

You mean kicking opponents, don't you ;)

Miller Jambo 60

Gordon for me the ,Rangers man flaps to often.

MA HA Doug 46 , GORGIE RULE.

Just for my jambo mates .

As I've pointed out to the hordes of unwashed supporters, McGregor is only now just starting to do what Gordon was doing 4 to 5 years ago.

Also, in Craigys time up here and at Sunderland, he hasn't had as strong a defense and set up (ie 4-5-1 defensive madness) in front of him as what McGregor has had this season. Plus Craig is up against the the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Torres, Dorgba to name but a few. What does McGregor have to worry about up here (apart from getting broken legs from his ex-misses gangster father) ..... Elliot, Lovell, Wyness, etc. Craig also doesn't pull out of Scotland matches with injuries only to play three days later for Der Huns.

McGregor is a good goalkeeper but has a long way to go before he can match Gordon!

Gordon is playing against better strikers and with worse defenders protecting him. There is no question Gordon is the better keeper.

Gordon all the way. Its hard for us to say though as we arent seeing him play week in week out, but it seems as though he has done well in his first season in the Premier League. Another year under his belt at Sunderland and then he may move onto a bigger club. McGregor has had his best season so far for Rangers, but Gordon cant be left out Scotland team until he lets them down.

Millfield_Mackem
Gordon all the way. Its hard for us to say though as we arent seeing him play week in week out, but it seems as though he has done well in his first season in the Premier League. Another year under his belt at Sunderland and then he may move onto a bigger club. McGregor has had his best season so far for Rangers, but Gordon cant be left out Scotland team until he lets them down.

I doubt it tbh. Keane should tie him down with howge contract. He's worth the money.

Ok one has won plaudits from some of the best managers in the world and fellow goalkeepers like Buffon.Huge clubs were courting him before Sunderland stumped up the cash.

The other well he gets plaudits from the weegie media.

Tells it all really Gordon by a mile.

Gordon is my choice :)

The best save I saw him make was in the 2-2 Game at Easter Road, against the Hobos where Hearts came back from 2-0 down.. 89th Minute, Left handed save... Was just the best save I have saw in a long-time.

bigbryanthejambo
Gordon is my choice :)

The best save I saw him make was in the 2-2 Game at Easter Road, against the Hobos where Hearts came back from 2-0 down.. 89th Minute, Left handed save... Was just the best save I have saw in a long-time.

Ur right Leesie! It was a peach ov a safe! CG everytime!

Can I just say I've just spied you're Bday party thread and Ive seen a new side to you with the old Nazi banter! :o haha!

Gordon for me, although it's great that Scotland have 2 good international goalies.

Craig also doesn't pull out of Scotland matches with injuries only to play three days later for Der Huns.QUOTE]

If CG pulled out a Scotland squad and played for Rangers three days later I think Roy Keane would have a thing or two to say don't you!!!

JamboBazualdo

Gordon for me by a mile!!

I think MacGregor will be found out sooner or later as he is protected by a currently strong Rangers defense. The CIS cup final was an example as he was flapping at everything in that game.

Gordon is an excellent shot stopper and some of his saves are top drawer!!

QUOTE=Markie;209570]

Craig also doesn't pull out of Scotland matches with injuries only to play three days later for Der Huns.QUOTE]

If CG pulled out a Scotland squad and played for Rangers three days later I think Roy Keane would have a thing or two to say don't you!!!

Good point!! You knew what I meant though. :rolleyes:

Ok one has won plaudits from some of the best managers in the world and fellow goalkeepers like Buffon.Huge clubs were courting him before Sunderland stumped up the cash.

The other well he gets plaudits from the weegie media.

Tells it all really Gordon by a mile.

Summed up pefectly in a couple of sentances.

Quality avatar as well ........ "for some reason I thought of my first fight with Tyler?"

Gordon everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

For me to be convinced by McGregor's status as a great keeper he needs to do it for a bit longer than the one (not even finished yet) great season he has had. A lot of goalkeepers go through fazes when they are absolutely brilliant but if the talent isn't there they will be found out one day.

Remember the hype surrounding David Marshall? It is very possible McGregor will go down the same road although he is a better keeper than Marshall.

John Findlay

Alan Combe of Kilmarnock as pulled off as many good saves as MacGregor this season. Difference. MacGregor plays for an OF team and Combe plays for Kilmarnock. Hence MacGregor getting all the headlines.

Gordon is the better goalkeeper. Full stop.

John

Commander Harris

Gordon is an excellent keeper having an average season.

MacGregor is an average keeper having a good season.(actually, only a good second half of the season.)

Gordon is by far the better keeper.

Scotland's number 1.

Ask any Sunderland fan...

Archived