New goalie is high on Jam Tarts' summer shopping list

Sherlock

New goalie is high on Jam Tarts' summer shopping list

HEARTS are seeking a new goalkeeper for next season with the potential to succeed first-choice Steve Banks.

Interim manager Stephen Frail has told the Evening News that the club is considering allowing Banks to assume a predominantly coaching position, prompting the need for a replacement keeper.

The 36-year-old will continue to play when required next term although Hearts' other goalkeeper, the Frenchman Anthony Basso, is likely to remain on the periphery of the first team with Jamie MacDonald due to return from Queen of the South this summer.

Banks has performed commendably this season following Craig Gordon's record-breaking transfer to Sunderland, however Frail explained that the No.1 position remains "open".

"I think we could do with bringing in another goalie," he said. "We need to decide if we're looking for a new first choice to allow Banksy to continue with the coaching. I have my thoughts on that at the moment and I'll need to speak to the people who deal with contracts to take it further. The goalkeeping position is definitely open at the moment."

Banks arrived at Hearts in August 2005 on a free transfer from Gillingham. He took over as first-choice keeper after Gordon's departure last August and has been simultaneously performed the duties of goalkeeping coach. He could return to the first team against St Mirren this weekend following illness but Frail conceded he has a decision to make over who will play.

Basso deputised for Banks against Dundee United and Kilmarnock and recorded two clean sheets, his performance at Rugby Park particularly impressive. "Anthony has done okay since taking over," continued Frail. "I'll look at the goalkeeping situation later in in the week before making a decision. Banksy is better now although the virus did floor him for quite a while. He's back training so he should be okay for the weekend.

"Hopefully Christos Karipidis will be alsobe ready after his back problem."

Meanwhile, Vladimir Romanov's spokesman has moved to reassure supporters that Hearts will appoint a new manager when the time is right.

Charlie Mann has defended the length of time taken to recruit the new incumbent, with Frail having been in interim control since the beginning of January.

Mann explained that any prospective manager would be required to work on a tighter budget than previously allocated.

He said: "We would all want the manager in place quickly but the biggest thing is that this guy has to be the right manager to take the club forward. He has to get the best out of the players within a budget. We want to try and get the players' salaries down a bit and still get success."

? HEARTS reserves recorded a 3-2 win over Inverness reserves at Forthbank yesterday with goals from Jamie Mole, Jason Thomson and Gary Glen.

"Meanwhile, Vladimir Romanov's spokesman has moved to reassure supporters that Hearts will appoint a new manager when the time is right.

Charlie Mann has defended the length of time taken to recruit the new incumbent, with Frail having been in interim control since the beginning of January.

Mann explained that any prospective manager would be required to work on a tighter budget than previously allocated.

He said: "We would all want the manager in place quickly but the biggest thing is that this guy has to be the right manager to take the club forward. He has to get the best out of the players within a budget. We want to try and get the players' salaries down a bit and still get success."

"

Yada yada ... we'll see

maroonlegions

feck sake , so stand by for no more signings for next year and the same bunch of players next season, makes you want to renew right away eh.:rolleyes::(

"Meanwhile, Vladimir Romanov's spokesman has moved to reassure supporters that Hearts will appoint a new manager when the time is right.

"

Yada yada ... we'll see

Feck Vlad! I hate him....he is a liar and does not give a feck about the club!

Is that a goalie that scores 20+ goals a season

I'm with you. It's time Vlad signed players with a bit of versatility.:)

maroonlegions

or even football players would be a great help.;)

Ehh,how more vesatile do you want a player to be than in our very own No28,so verstile that he is pesh in every position he has played and thats a lot.

CornhillHearts

Jamie Mac says the right things one day, shaggy announces he wants a new goalie the next day, duh.........

blondejamtart
Jamie Mac says the right things one day, shaggy announces he wants a new goalie the next day, duh.........

Exactly, talk about a slap in the face....:mad:

All positions are up for grabs - we need new full backs as top priority imo, a centrehalf in Pressley mould, a centre mid who gets ahead of the forwards, wide players who can deliver and strikers who can score - pretty simple really. Everything we dont have just now basically.

All positions are up for grabs - we need new full backs as top priority imo, a centrehalf in Pressley mould, a centre mid who gets ahead of the forwards, wide players who can deliver and strikers who can score - pretty simple really. Everything we dont have just now basically.

A football team then.

So we had 3 keepers this year in Banks, Kurskis & Basso.

Banks will move towards being the coach leaving Basso & McDonald at the moment. A new Hearts manager would surely want to bring in his own keeper wouldn't you say?

Over reaction on KB yet again.

How is it a slap in the face to McDonald? I am sure the lad does not expect to come back to Hearts from QoS and be the Hearts number 1. I am sure he would love to, but like every player he will need to show it during training and the pre season friendlies that he is the best keeper at the club.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
So we had 3 keepers this year in Banks, Kurskis & Basso.

Banks will move towards being the coach leaving Basso & McDonald at the moment. A new Hearts manager would surely want to bring in his own keeper wouldn't you say?

How is it a slap in the face to McDonald? I am sure the lad does not expect to come back to Hearts from QoS and be the Hearts number 1. I am sure he would love to, but like every player he will need to show it during training and the pre season friendlies that he is the best keeper at the club.[/QUOTE]

When has that logic been applied in the last few years?

I'll tell you when. Never.

So we had 3 keepers this year in Banks' date=' Kurskis & Basso.

[b']How is it a slap in the face to McDonald? I am sure the lad does not expect to come back to Hearts from QoS and be the Hearts number 1. I am sure he would love to, but like every player he will need to show it during training and the pre season friendlies that he is the best keeper at the club.[/[/b]QUOTE]

When has that logic been applied in the last few years?

I'll tell you when. Never.

No over reaction, why is Frail even talking to anyone about getting a new keeper, it shouldnt be his decision to make. Unless he knows it is his decision to make.

No over reaction' date=' why is Frail even talking to anyone about getting a new keeper, it shouldnt be his decision to make. [b']Unless he knows it is his decision to make[/b].

SF doesn't make decisions at Hearts.

blondejamtart

I don't think Jame MacDonald has suggested he's expecting to walk back into Tynecastle as the number one keeper. All I was saying was that, especially given the the timing, Jamie says one day that he'd rather come back to Tynie than play in Europe with QoS, then the next day Frail says we'll be looking for a new keeper. If that was me, I'd certainly feel a bit put out, to put it mildly...

A young lady asked the question last night.At no time was a new keeper a priority.Macdonald might come back.Banks might concentrate on the coaching side and be number 2.Basso might be no1.Hearts might sign a new keeper.Nothing has been decided.

A young lady asked the question last night.At no time was a new keeper a priority.Macdonald might come back.Banks might concentrate on the coaching side and be number 2.Basso might be no1.Hearts might sign a new keeper.Nothing has been decided.

So no one has a clue then.

feck sake , so stand by for no more signings for next year and the same bunch of players next season, makes you want to renew right away eh.:rolleyes::(

Tighter budget meaning on loan Liths, up for sale but playing for us on ?45 a wek plus a flat and a car

If the rumours ar true about MM - watch out for Graeme Smith being brought in from Motherwell in the close season - McGhee rates him very highly.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Class.

Frail - "Eh, we need a new goalie, I think and, eh, I need to speak to the people, or persons that, eh, decide these things. We could do with a goalie, or no' likes, it just depends on what, eh, people upstairs say. But we could probably do with a new goalie, I think".

Fud.

He's as much say in whether we get a new goalie as you or I do.

Snake Plissken
I don't think Jame MacDonald has suggested he's expecting to walk back into Tynecastle as the number one keeper. All I was saying was that, especially given the the timing, Jamie says one day that he'd rather come back to Tynie than play in Europe with QoS, then the next day Frail says we'll be looking for a new keeper. If that was me, I'd certainly feel a bit put out, to put it mildly...

Lets not forget his comments on the return of Beslija - hardly encouraging.

Most on here seem to say they would like Frail to stay on as a coach - not me. He has played his part in this shambles of a season, as much as we're happy to blame AK and AC, Frail seems to escape the same criticism.

He's not respected by the players, clearly has favourites within the squad and comes across as totally clueless in any interview he gives.

If the rumours ar true about MM - watch out for Graeme Smith being brought in from Motherwell in the close season - McGhee rates him very highly.

forget mcghee and forget a new goalkeeper. these muppets at hearts are only playing mind games as they've hardly sold any season tickets.

once we get a new manager (lets hope we do) it should be him who brings in new players to add to the squad and not clueless idiots who know nothing about football.

jambos are go!

Sure I heard on the radio tonight the the polish goalie that left Dundee United in January is available again. Looked good IMO although I believe he is injury prone.

Archived