Vlad and the Velicka transfer.

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Velicka-reveals--Romanov-was.3985972.jp

Velicka reveals Romanov was ruthless when negotiating Hearts' Norwegian transfer

BARRY ANDERSON

DEBATE over whether Andrius Velicka should be bulging more illustrious nets than those in Norway's Tippeligaen becomes academic when the striker explains he had little choice in the matter. In two league games for new club Viking Stavanger, Velicka has scored twice, continuing the potent form that endeared him to Hearts supporters.

By his own admission, he couldn't refuse the opportunity to leave Scotland when Viking submitted a definitive ?1million bid. Once pound signs, or indeed Lithuanian Lita symbols, began rolling in the eyes of Vladimir Romanov, Velicka gracefully accepted he was being moved on.

He remains philosophical, stressing that the opportunity was right as he approached his 29th birthday.

Rogaland, one of Norway's four fjord counties, offers a reserved lifestyle amongst some of Europe's most stunning scenery. The sort many players would jump at.

It isn't Edinburgh, however, nor is the Tippeligaen ranked amongst Europe's most prestigious leagues.

Having finished top goalscorer in Lithuania with FBK Kaunas before leading Hearts' scoring charts for the last two seasons, Velicka was widely expected to head onwards to a more salubrious plain when Romanov and his associates began touting him around the continent last year. Norway wouldn't have figured high up the agenda. A projected salary increase, plus the chance to play in next season's UEFA Cup, convinced the striker that Stavanger would provide an exciting career change, plus a prosperous future for his young family.

Like any player for whom a club accepts a transfer offer, staying put ceased to be a realistic option. Speaking exclusively to the Evening News, Velicka explained the mechanisms behind his departure.

He said: "After the initial interest came from Viking the people at Hearts asked me if I wanted the move. I said I didn't know and I wanted to think.

"For a couple of weeks I heard nothing, then they called me and said everything was now agreed with Viking. That's when I knew I was leaving.

"The fee was agreed so I came over to Norway and the move has worked well.

"I'm here with my family, which makes it a lot easier. At the same time, it's not Edinburgh. I understand the feelings of the Hearts fans but it's life. I think it's normal for a football player to move on.

"Maybe I could have waited until the summer and then got a transfer, but I am not 18 years old, you know. I couldn't wait in case of injury or something else. This was my chance and I felt I had to go."

Viking's initial ?600,000 down payment seems pitiful for a reliable goalscorer, although that fee rises to ?1m once Velicka plays 50 games. The Lithuanian's signing of a four-year contract means it's inevitable that Romanov will see the full colour of Viking's money, barring serious injury.

All proceeds are to be collected by Ukio Bankas Investment Group, which finances both Hearts and Kaunas, the club which loaned Velicka to Hearts in August 2006.

Back then, he was an unknown commodity who unsurprisingly failed to settle on his only other venture outwith Lithuania, a brief period on loan at Anzhi Makhachkala in the war-torn Russian republic of Dagestan.

Properly realising Velicka's potential only became possible when Romanov, pictured right, facilitated his loan to Scotland, something for which the player remains eternally grateful. "I played in Lithuania and in Russia for a short while, but Scotland gave me a chance to show my capabilities on a big stage. I think I showed I am not a bad player," he said. "I scored some goals and I will always be thankful to Hearts for this opportunity.

"It let me prove I can play outside of Lithuania and outside eastern Europe.

"I know everything about Hearts because I keep in touch with what is happening there and I'm still in contact with all the guys.

"I miss Edinburgh a lot. Norway is good so far, I've scored some goals but I'll always remember Edinburgh. I've left my friends and my team there."

Velicka didn't feature in Viking's opening game of the season, a 1-0 victory over Stromsgodset. However, he scored in both subsequent matches ? a 3-2 defeat at Hamarkamaratene and last Saturday's 2-1 home triumph over Aalesund ? starting as he doubtless intends to go on during the Scandinavian chapter of his career.

Head coach Uwe Rosler and director of football Egil Ostenstad have already professed their delight with the new acquisition. Velicka's ability to adjust to alien cultures has been seriously tested throughout his time in football, not least in Dagestan, but the Norwegian league is one he has quickly grown accustomed to.

"The football is quite similar here, the standard is similar although maybe a bit more technical," he said.

"The referees don't give fouls against you like in Scotland either. One thing I would say about Scotland is that the pitches are better there. Viking have a nice stadium which holds about 17,000 people. It's always full, although not as noisy as Tynecastle.

"I think the Scottish fans have more passion but the support here is always shouting and helping the team. Because Viking finished third last year we are in next season's UEFA Cup, and we plan on being in the top three again this season."

Hearts harbour similar ambitions for next year's SPL campaign, of course. Velicka will monitor their progress from afar, perhaps pondering whether a return to "his" club might one day be possible. "Of course I would come back. If they want to take me back one day, I will be happy. I would always want to play for Hearts. It's my club."

Ensconced in the Norwegian port of Stavanger, Andrius Velicka reluctantly accepts that, for now at least, his Hearts ship has sailed.

Glad to hear that he has settled down in Norway. He did a reasonable job for Hearts though should be easy to replace.

UBIG timed his transfer brilliantly, and got peak value for him.

Guest GhostHunter
Glad to hear that he has settled down in Norway. He did a reasonable job for Hearts though should be easy to replace.

Couldn't agree more.

As expected Velicka didnt really have a choice

I'm not interested in what UBIG got for Velicka. His transfer ended our season completely.

I support a football team not an asset stripping eastern european's company accounts.

Another sensationalist non-story form the Hootsmoon.

The clubs agreed terms , then the player agreed personal terms and moved on happily to a 4 year contract that should secure his families financial future.

Or did I miss something ?

Dr. Bapswent

The clubs agreed terms , then the player agreed personal terms and moved on happily to a 4 year contract that should secure his families financial future.

Yes,

You missed the point that it is possible to have a story about an ex player doing well and to feel happy for him rather than place a negative angle on it that it in some ways harms HMFC or isnt a good thing.

There is a world outside HMFC, I for one am happy for the guy, especially considering he still considers HMFC 'his team'.

He can be replaced, so there is no harm appreciating a hearts star moving onwards and succeeding.

Guest GhostHunter

I hear Velicka left some skanky unwashed kit hiding in a cupboard in his old rented mansion.

Naughty Velicka.

Good Riddance.

Colonel Kurtz

Regarding the "superb timing" of the sale.

Selling our only recognised goalscorer cost us a top 6 place.

two no scoring draws in particular.

Shows Romanovs true level of ambition

dont worry lads frail pointed out that clum would fill his boots onwards and upwards top six it is

Na forget that lets capitalise on his potential

I hear Velicka left some skanky unwashed kit hiding in a cupboard in his old rented mansion.

Naughty Velicka.

Good Riddance.

I hope that he returned his little telly to Glens, Hutchison, Robertsons or Stepek:evilno:

Drylaw Hearts

But super timing nonetheless.

:rolleyes:

Shows Romanovs true level of ambition

Don't agree with that.

Velicka might have blootered in a couple of half chances.

But we were unbeaten after he left in non-OF games I think. Big part of that was that it was easier for our defenders/midfielders as our striker for the post-Velicka games was better at holding the ball up front than Velicka is. Elliot and Nade have huge flaws in their game but each are better at holding the ball. The ball didn't come straight back at the defence post Velicka - and I think we were a better team. Of course he might have taken a half chance and we will never know on that. But I think we were a better team without him.

I think that the return of Ksnavicius and Ivaskevicius was a bigger hindrance than losing Velicka.

Dr. Bapswent

There are 2 perspectives from the 'timing' point of view.

1. It was good timing regarding his value.

2. It was poor timing regarding his influence and assitance to Hearts.

They are different things, and should be seen as such, not mixed up and argued over inappropriately.

There are 2 perspectives from the 'timing' point of view.

1. It was good timing regarding his value.

2. It was poor timing regarding his influence and assitance to Hearts.

They are different things, and should be seen as such, not mixed up and argued over inappropriately.

Only issue on timing is whether Hearts would have brought in a better striker if Velicka had gone during the transfer window. And given the post Burley record on bringing in strikers stinks who could say that we would have brought in a decent replacement anyway.

Clearly no club which had the UK transfer window wanted to buy Velicka during that time - so there was no money available for a replacement at that time. Which meant that the existing strikers had to cover for Velicka's absence when he did go. And I think that they did a job for the team - given that Elliot/Nade are not really goalscorers.

Malcolm Tucker
Eh????

He's a player playing at his peak. So his value was at its highest.

it will take another 2 seasons before we get the 400,000 or woteva though

Csaba's Broon Shoes
it will take another 2 seasons before we get the 400,000 or woteva though

We are getting nowt , he was never our player , he had a Kaunas contract

good service for a loan signing , who cares about the spondoolies

dont worry lads frail pointed out that clum would fill his boots onwards and upwards top six it is

Na forget that lets capitalise on his potential

Maybe Velicka left because he was scared Calum was gonna try and fill something else?

HEYOOO!

Gigolo-Aunt

My own opinion was the transfer fee was 400k short, the add on's included.

Chad Sexington
My own opinion was the transfer fee was 400k short, the add on's included.

I wonder how much Hearts have lost in revenue by finishing in the bottom 6.

He would have scored the goals to get us top 6 IMO so there is the hidden cost of that as well.

Gigolo-Aunt
I wonder how much Hearts have lost in revenue by finishing in the bottom 6.

He would have scored the goals to get us top 6 IMO so there is the hidden cost of that as well.

There certainly is, Chad, there certainly is.

All this talk about selling because he is at his supposed peak. How exactly do we know that.

He is one of the very few players who should not have been sold.

I would have kept him for next season and let a proper manager (If/When appointed - Your preference) get a a proper team, with a proper strike partner and proper creative players playing with him.

He would score twice as much as he did.

One of many very bad mistakes.

All this talk about selling because he is at his supposed peak. How exactly do we know that.

I would have kept him for next season and let a proper manager (If/When appointed - Your preference) get a a proper team, with a proper strike partner and proper creative players playing with him.

Just a guess or opinion. I think that it was clear that no big teams ie Premiership/OF/Championship/Russian teams wanted him in the transfer window. So that is why he went to a Norwegian team.

Given his age, lack of pace, lack of ability to do other things than lash the ball at goal meant that no other teams wanted him. So it was great value.

I think that better players who do more for the team are available to Hearts.

Don't agree with that.

Velicka might have blootered in a couple of half chances.

But we were unbeaten after he left in non-OF games I think. Big part of that was that it was easier for our defenders/midfielders as our striker for the post-Velicka games was better at holding the ball up front than Velicka is. Elliot and Nade have huge flaws in their game but each are better at holding the ball. The ball didn't come straight back at the defence post Velicka - and I think we were a better team. Of course he might have taken a half chance and we will never know on that. But I think we were a better team without him.

I think that the return of Ksnavicius and Ivaskevicius was a bigger hindrance than losing Velicka.

Hugest flaw being that they don?t score very many goals, which as strikers is quite the hugest flaw possible. Velicka scored goals.

coppercrutch
Hearts is 'his team', always nice to hear.

Aye that made me go 'Awwhh' in a slightly female and gay fashion as well. I love when players say that. Niemi is another one. But don't tell anyone. :rolleyes:

So it would have decreased dramatically by the summer???

Couldn't agree more mate.

I do agree we got peak value for him, by why should we have to sell one of our best players when there is little pressure to do so. I agree, in part, with Coco that the team has gotten a lot better at defending from the front since Velicka departed but the defence was improving anyway and since Velicka went we have really struggled to score goals.

It's not like Goncalves, Pinilla or Kingston. Velicka was NOT a high wage earner so therefore, IMO, I really think we should have kept him around as long as he was putting the ball in the back of the net.

IMO, with Velicka, we would have made the top six.

I'm happy we were able to get him on loan if only for they two goals at Parkhead. Brilliant.

The two goals at Easter Road were all right as well. :107years:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Just a guess or opinion. I think that it was clear that no big teams ie Premiership/OF/Championship/Russian teams wanted him in the transfer window. So that is why he went to a Norwegian team.

Given his age, lack of pace, lack of ability to do other things than lash the ball at goal meant that no other teams wanted him. So it was great value.

I think that better players who do more for the team are available to Hearts.

Who exactly?

I take it you are talking about strikers here?

If you referring to a midfielder or even a RIGHT BACK then I don't see your point.

Who exactly?

I take it you are talking about strikers here?

If you referring to a midfielder or even a RIGHT BACK then I don't see your point.

As I said above, Nade and Elliot have huge flaws but help the team much more as they are better at holding the ball. I don't think that they are the answer but they helped us as a team after Velicka left.

All we miss from him is someone who was good at long bangers.

I would like to see us sign a striker who can win the ball in the air, hold the ball and bully defences. And one who can poach, who has the pace over 3 yards to get on the end of crosses. Those sorts of players are available.

Mr Quagmire

Yes you missed the bit about it being a good bit of business by vlad.

our season was over anyway.

Drylaw Hearts
Yes you missed the bit about it being a good bit of business by vlad.

our season was over anyway.

No it wasn't.

Just to add one thing.

Some people suggest that Velicka would have scored the goals to ensure top 6 for us.

Outside of his other inabilities, maybe he would have scored some, but he was on a run of about 6 or 7 games before his transfer (including the cup replay against Motherwell and the game at Hampden) when he had missed sitters in every game. You could see when he was warming up for games just how often he would miss the target even when there wasn't a goalkeeper there.

That isn't to decry what he did for us. He scored a few good goals with long banger efforts.

Nucky Thompson
No it wasn't.
It was in the terms of playing for something:rolleyes: Even if we sneaked into the top six, we were out of the race for Europe.

It was in the terms of playing for something:rolleyes: Even if we sneaked into the top six, we were out of the race for Europe.

Do you not get more money with every place higher you are in the table? We're not exactly rolling in it just now...

Drylaw Hearts

We were 5 points behind Hibs when he left.

There was still 7 games to go to the split.

IMO there was plenty to play for.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
We were 5 points behind Hibs when he left.

There was still 7 games to go to the split.

IMO there was plenty to play for.

Why waste your time.

More unadulterated rot from the Vladgimp brigade.

Nothing left to play for.

Tell that to the 13000 season ticket holders.

Nucky Thompson
the Vladgimp brigade.
:4_1_72: Is that meant to be some sort of insult:welldone:

Dirk Diggler

Don't know about you, but i'm distraught about this.

I doubt i'll sleep tonight.

Nucky Thompson
Don't know about you, but i'm distraught about this.

I doubt i'll sleep tonight.

Yeah I know, I'm absolutely gutted:rolleyes:

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Just what I expect from someone whose user name rhymes with sh*te.

Corrie Jambo

I don't get the anti Velicka brigade.

He was the ONLY player scoring goals for us and scored against the big teams.

He would probably went on to score 20 goals and plenty teams would have been intrested in him.

I would rather we had kept him and got somebody decent up front with him.

If we had any decent strikers I could have maybe understood it but i thought it yet another ridiculous Romanov decision which some fans agree with even though it meant we never had a proper striker and Hearts got NO money from the deal

Couldn't agree more mate.

I do agree we got peak value for him, by why should we have to sell one of our best players when there is little pressure to do so. I agree, in part, with Coco that the team has gotten a lot better at defending from the front since Velicka departed but the defence was improving anyway and since Velicka went we have really struggled to score goals.

It's not like Goncalves, Pinilla or Kingston. Velicka was NOT a high wage earner so therefore, IMO, I really think we should have kept him around as long as he was putting the ball in the back of the net.

IMO, with Velicka, we would have made the top six.

Exactly.

Although I don't agree with Coco on the point about Elliot and Nade do more. Nade has a had a few decent games. But they have contributed very little over the season.

Yeah Nade holds the ball and gives us a presence. Sometimes creates goals. Occasionaly scores them.

Elliot? Well he just looks like a 'boy' lost.

If possible I would have much rather got rid of they two rather than Veligol.

Frankly Velicka puts the ball in the back of the net. So we have a goalscorer.

You listed two different kinds of strikers we should be going for. They don't exactly come along very often especially to Hearts. It would be great if we had they two strikers but I would have been looking for a partner for Velicka.

Someone who is not going to give up on balls, someone who will throw themselves at everything. Someone who can win it in the air. Or if need be bring it down, hold it up and bring others into play. Someone like Jankauskas with energy and desire to close defenders down.

Now we need to go and look for in my opinion (If Pinilla leaves) 3/4 strikers. Two immediate starters and one (maybe two) reserves who are not going to let us down.

Why waste your time.

More unadulterated rot from the Vladgimp brigade.

Nothing left to play for.

Tell that to the 13000 season ticket holders.

There's no need for that.

Have a word.

Archived