the birth of a new continent?

ArmiyaRomanova

Nelly Terraces

Lets face it, the whole world is now so horrifically polluted that the game will be up sooner rather than later. We had it good for so long, but took the p*ss. You always end up paying a big price when that happens.

ArmiyaRomanova
Bet it would be pretty rubbish to live there

You could get a cheap 'package' holiday there though, I bet.

ArmiyaRomanova
If we ignore it.... It might just go away.......worked with my last g/f

Was she the size of a small continent too?

Say What Again
Bet it would be pretty rubbish to live there

Some folk wouldn't mind:

ogp0002st.jpg

Trash_heap2.jpg

eaststandnomoredy8.jpg

Sexton Hardcastle

No joke! Did you see the state of it when they played celtic the other day. It looked like a building site.

Buffalo Bill

Interesting that aren't any conclusive pictures of this on the internet.

I mean, if something twice the size of Texas is floating about the ocean, you'd think there'd be a least one picture of it?

Buffalo Bill

Boaby Ewing

I mean, if something twice the size of Texas is floating about the ocean, you'd think there'd be a least one picture of it?

Buffalo Bill

I was thinking the same thing - did a bit of googling and one article said the majority of it lies just below the surface and is largely transluscent so can't be photographed from the air.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world/continentsized-swirl-of-rubbish-raises-alarm/2008/02/04/1201973803143.html?page=2

Reminds me of being in the Maldives. I was lying on the beach in a tropical paradise when a McCain frozen chips bag washed up on the shore.

Reminds me of being in the Maldives. I was lying on the beach in a tropical paradise when a McCain frozen chips bag washed up on the shore.

Did that make you feel homesick for Blighty?

Buffalo Bill
I was thinking the same thing - did a bit of googling and one article said the majority of it lies just below the surface and is largely transluscent so can't be photographed from the air.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world/continentsized-swirl-of-rubbish-raises-alarm/2008/02/04/1201973803143.html?page=2

Ah, now it makes a bit more sense.

In a way, it would've been quite nice for it to have been a giant floating island.

Then we could've sent away all society's undesirables:

sutcliffe.jpg

jeffrey.jpg

lb_liv__1193214558_Ray_Quinn_large.jpg

_40061133_leslie300.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Say What Again

In a way, it would've been quite nice for it to have been a giant floating island.

sutcliffe.jpg

jeffrey.jpg

_40061133_leslie300.jpg

Buffalo Bill

s_ea984eae5cbd20d819824ca62690fae1.jpg

sutcliffe.jpg

jeffrey.jpg

_40061133_leslie300.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Your photo obsession brightens up my day!

:D

Buffalo Bill
Your photo obsession brightens up my day!

:D

_41684848_craven203.jpg

Buffalo Bill

CompleteIdiot

Buffalo Bill

The use of the world "Island" is clearly spin (an island must be above water and surrounded by water) and it is further spin to add it to the word "Toxic". It sounds like a PR term invented by the hysterical Greens.

The use of the world "Island" is clearly spin (an island must be above water and surrounded by water) and it is further spin to add it to the word "Toxic". It sounds like a PR term invented by the hysterical Greens.

The main issue of the article is to highlight the amount of rubbish that gets taken into the sea.

Would you agree with these 4 points [a simple YES or NO will suffice]:

1. Limit your use of plastics when possible. Plastic doesn't easily degrade and can kill sea life.
  2. Use a reusable bag when shopping. Throwaway bags can easily blow into the ocean.
  3. Take your trash with you when you leave the beach.
  4. Make sure your trash bins are securely closed. Keep all trash in closed bags.

I'd guess you felt much the same as me when having a drink in former haunt of Kerouac and the beats, Vesuvio in San Francisco, I glanced up at the TV and that **** Jimmy Carr was on.

CompleteIdiot
The main issue of the article is to highlight the amount of rubbish that gets taken into the sea.

1. Limit your use of plastics when possible. Plastic doesn't easily degrade and can kill sea life. Use what instead of plastic?
  2. Use a reusable bag when shopping. Throwaway bags can easily blow into the ocean. No. Get companies to provide biodegradable bags. No one wants to lug around a potato sack with handles.
  3. Take your trash with you when you leave the beach. Yes. That's called good manners.
  4. Make sure your trash bins are securely closed. Keep all trash in closed bags. Yes. Obviously. However, shouldn't this be a matter of lobbying the council who cause a lot of this by having tiny bins on streets and not emptying them often enough?

See above.

See below.

See above.

1. Limit your use of plastics when possible. Plastic doesn't easily degrade and can kill sea life. No. Get companies to provide biodegradable bags.
  2. Use a reusable bag when shopping. Throwaway bags can easily blow into the ocean. No. No one wants to lug around a potato sack with handles.
  3. Take your trash with you when you leave the beach. Yes. That's called good manners.
  4. Make sure your trash bins are securely closed. Keep all trash in closed bags. Yes. Obviously. However, shouldn't this be a matter of lobbying the council who cause a lot of this by having tiny bins on streets and not emptying them often enough?

Man you love laying the blame on other people.

So what you are saying that you would never use a re-usable bag?

What happens when companies don't provide ANY bags?

I can see you are trolling as per usual ........

P.S - Keep smoking:

1124922084043264510S425x425Q85.jpg

:boak:

CompleteIdiot
See below.

Man you love laying the blame on other people.

So what you are saying that you would never use a re-usable bag?

What happens when companies don't provide ANY bags?

I can see you are trolling as per usual ........

Using one of those monster potato sack shopping bags is fine - if you drive a car to do your shopping.

What sort of company is going to make it difficult to buy things? Even Real Foods provides biodegradable bags.

Using one of those monster potato sack shopping bags is fine - if you drive a car to do your shopping.

100% incorrect.

I own numerous re-usable bags and I don't drive a car when I go to the shops.

Why do you need to drive a car to use a re-usable bag .......

..... I think someone is a little image concious .......

I P Knightley
100% incorrect.

I own numerous re-usable bags and I don't drive a car when I go to the shops.

Why do you need to drive a car to use a re-usable bag .......

..... I think someone is a little image concious .......

The shops come to me and when they don't, I have ruck-sacks and stuff. The number of times I have to say to the folk at Sainsbury's etc, "no, I don't need a bag for this sandwich and 500ml bottle of Coke." And I'm not even a hippy.

Although Darling's budget pronouncement on bags ("We'll get really, I mean really cross if something (I don't quite know what) doesn't happen about poly bags by some indefinite time in the future.") was naff and political bandwagonning, I'm pleased that Marky's are going down the 'bag for life' route.

Of course, I tell them I've been married for 18 years and if that isn't a bag for life, I don't know what is.

The shops come to me and when they don't, I have ruck-sacks and stuff. The number of times I have to say to the folk at Sainsbury's etc, "no, I don't need a bag for this sandwich and 500ml bottle of Coke." And I'm not even a hippy.

If only we had more people like you but we don't we have people like ......

ArmiyaRomanova

I was in a local supermarket in Amsterdam last month and was surprised to see a huge ungainly pile of cardboard boxes, packets etc... just after the checkouts.

Then I realised what was happening. Some (not by any means all) shoppers were having their shopping scanned at the checkout, then before bagging it, removing all the excess packaging and slinging it in a pile for the supermarket to do something about.

Good idea IMHO - it'd be a real step forward for major retailers to demand of manufacturers 'less packaging please, or we won't stock your stuff'.

Companies will respond to consumer pressure, or to government action. In the absence of either, companies will take the line of lowest cost and/or least resistance.

In March 2002, the Irish government introduced a consumer levy on plastic bags in shops and supermarkets. Usage of these plastic bags fell by over 90%. Before the tax, we all moaned about how we'd never cope without plastic bags and how much we'd all be ripped off by the tax. And afterwards? Easy peasy, plastic bags were just a bad habit.

A lot of the rubbish we produce is down to bad habits. If people can't be persuaded to change those bad habits, reward them when they do or tax them if they don't. Simple.

Archived