Children of Glory

Gershwin

Went to see it at the Filmhoose last night. Great film. I would highly recommend it.

Beautifully shot and quite an old style with an interesting story I had no knowledge of. It's about the 1950s Hungarian Olympic Water Polo team during the Soviet occupation.

It's quite rousing and patriotic.

Not sure how much longer it's on though.

the voice from above
Went to see it at the Filmhoose last night. Great film. I would highly recommend it.

Beautifully shot and quite an old style with an interesting story I had no knowledge of. It's about the 1950s Hungarian Olympic Water Polo team during the Soviet occupation.

It's quite rousing and patriotic.

Not sure how much longer it's on though.

Philip French (The Observer) disagrees...

'Working in his native Hungary for the first time, Joe Eszterhas is uncharacteristically restrained as the screenwriter on Children of Glory, the story of a water-polo star politicised by a beautiful student activist during the upheaval of autumn 1956. The atmosphere of the time, the demonstrations and the uprising itself are vividly recreated by director Krisztina Goda, and the water-polo match between the Soviet Union and Hungary at the Melbourne Olympics that followed shortly thereafter is excellently staged. It's certainly moving, but the cliche-ridden script and the blatant manipulations show that you can take the boy out of Hollywood, but you can't take Hollywood out of the boy' . :evilno:

Normally critics are just being critical because they love to but that last sentence is scary...

I'll look this up when it appears in alphabet but won't be heading along to see it on the big screen.

Archived