Scottish Advertising

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I've been asked to put together a brand presentation for work and I'd welcome any views and opinions from Kickbackers on the following questions I have to answer

What national/international brands (eg. A Coca-Cola or Tesco) get ?Scottish-ness? right and execute relevant advertising campaigns in Scotland that positively engage Scots?

What brands are into Scottish football?

Mods, If I'm breaking any rules here, please feel free to delete this thread

Boaby Ewing
I've been asked to put together a brand presentation for work and I'd welcome any views and opinions from Kickbackers on the following questions I have to answer

What national/international brands (eg. A Coca-Cola or Tesco) get ?Scottish-ness? right and execute relevant advertising campaigns in Scotland that positively engage Scots?

What brands are into Scottish football?

Mods, If I'm breaking any rules here, please feel free to delete this thread

Irn-Bru.

Most other Scottish ads are cringeworthy.

Actually, old Tennents ads were brilliant.

But anything featuring someone in a kilt, tearoom, or with a nippy sweety voice needs put down.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm thinking more of non scottish companies

Irn Bru do a brilliant job, I think they have the irreverence and scottish take on humour just right

Irn-Bru gets Scottishness, simply because it is. The new ad that's just been filmed gets this spot on.

The s1 brand is also very Scottish without being in your face.

Visitscotland doesn't.

Football-wise

Tennents - Scottish Cup for years and now the national team

Irn Bru - Queen's Park shirt sponsors and now the SFL

Carling - cupping the balls of the Old Squirm

Clydesdale Bank/BOS - Sponsorship of the SPL

Bell's - Longterm SFL partners

Depends in what media.... print;

Duechars IPA

Famous Grouse

Glenmorangie

All scottish companies tho.

Chad Sexington

The recent Angus burger ads for Burger King featured Scottish characters in it.

Every one of them was ugly with ginger hair.

I'm assuming they think this a national trait.

portobellojambo1
But anything featuring someone in a kilt, tearoom, or with a nippy sweety voice needs put down.

If you exclude the above, and bagpipes, it sort of limits the marketing potential in relation to promoting Scotland does it not. Unless you can get someone in from the SNP to do an oil promotion, but those with any brains wouldn't believe such a promotion anyway.

Why bother with new adds?

Cause it keeps me in a job!

Always liked that Maynard's ad though...

Cause it keeps me in a job!

Always liked that Maynard's ad though...

Yeah, but if you're smart you say "Here's one we did earlier", a la Blue Peter, and sell them the same thing they bought ten years ago!

Everyone's a winner and your boss thinks you're a geezer.

Happy days!;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I like that Maynards ad

I think this is the Holy Grail of adveritising

Adding Scottishness to English products!!

Boaby Ewing
If you exclude the above, and bagpipes, it sort of limits the marketing potential in relation to promoting Scotland does it not. Unless you can get someone in from the SNP to do an oil promotion, but those with any brains wouldn't believe such a promotion anyway.

I don't think he's talking about promoting Scotland though, more how national and international companies engage/represent Scotland in their advertising.

As a side note, the VisitScotland ads in tube stations etc. in London are pretty impressive - they manage to promote the country in a modern way as something other than a quaint backwater (Mountain-biking at Glentress, dinner at Oloroso, nights out in Glasgow's west end, decent 'boutique' hotels etc.)

As for the oil bit, I think you'll find companies are still keen to invest in the North Sea, even if production rates are diminishing.

With oil above $110 a barrel, a relatively stable political environment etc. it makes sense - that's nowt to do with the SNP, just economics. But any chance for a cheap dig at independence, eh?

Yeah, but if you're smart you say "Here's one we did earlier", a la Blue Peter, and sell them the same thing they bought ten years ago!

Everyone's a winner and your boss thinks you're a geezer.

Happy days!;)

Not really as my company would make no money ;)

You've got to get a back catalogue, man!

Unfortunately in this industry, as writers, we get no royalties.

The only one that springs to mind is the Peugeot 207 ad where the guy is supposed to be driving to Glasgow but the sat-nav directs him to some remote winding road in the Highlands.

Just imagine if he had actually went to Glasgow. The sat-nav would be up for sale in the nearest boozer courtesy of a 14 year old acne ridden vagrant in a shell suit & sellick tap.

I liked the "Domestic Abuse : There's No Excuse" adverts.

These struck me as very Scottish, especially the one where the guy came home and kicked off at the wife : "Ye know ah like tae go oot wae the lads oan a Friday night. When ah come hame ah want ma tea OAN THE TABLE!" (whack)

The wee kid in the background making the dolls' house characters batter each other and that...to me, that sums up Scottishness.

Hope this helps.

Archived