The Cheltenham festival 2012 thread

Lt.Speirs

That time of the year again folks. The best weeks racing of the year. Going down for the champion hurdle and champion chase this year and can't wait. So if you have any news, views or tips post them straight here.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You lucky bar steward! Would love to go down - going to Aintree for the National for the first time this year, so can't complain.

No tips but a few bookie freebies....

Ladbrokes - deposit a fiver before Monday and get a free fiver bet to use on the Tuesday.

Victor Chandler - bet ?20 on the first race and get a free ?20 bet for the Tuesday.

Paddy Power - return your stake if Sprinter Sacre wins (I reckon that's worth a punt on Al Ferof unless you're betting large on SS).

Boylesports - return your stake if your horse finishes 2nd in the last four races on Tuesday.

All offers are for new and existing customers. Usual free bet offers for all bookies are still available for new customers.

The Old Tolbooth

Grand Crus for the Gold Cup. :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup:

Although, has it been decided if he's going for the RSA or the Gold Cup yet?

Think he would be mad not to. Faster at Kempton than Kauto Star and Long Run in a similar distance race? Kauto wont beat the pair of them up the hill especially if struggling following his recent fall. Long Run is good but not unbeatable.

The Old Tolbooth

Think he would be mad not to. Faster at Kempton than Kauto Star and Long Run in a similar distance race? Kauto wont beat the pair of them up the hill especially if struggling following his recent fall. Long Run is good but not unbeatable.

I reckon the hill will outdo Kauto and suit Long Run (who posted a superbly quick time last year to win it), but I reckon Grand Crus has a great engine in him and he could run the legs off most of the field in the middle part of the race like Denman used to do, Burton Port would have a wee shout too.

My thoughts exactly! :thumbsup:

Although, has it been decided if he's going for the RSA or the Gold Cup yet?

Was reading one of those jockey/owner event things run by one of the bookies, and Davy Russell said he'd spoken with connections and that they're going for the Gold Cup. Although I'd take that with a pinch of salt as he also said that Grand Crus won't get up the hill anyway. Which I disagree with- I've been really impressed with him this seasons and will be betting him in whatever race he runs in.

P.S. Boylesports offer above is for first four races on Tuesday - couldn't edit my other post.

You lucky bar steward! Would love to go down - going to Aintree for the National for the first time this year, so can't complain.

Ladbrokes - deposit a fiver before Monday and get a free fiver bet to use on the Tuesday.

Victor Chandler - bet ?20 on the first race and get a free ?20 bet for the Tuesday.

Paddy Power - return your stake if Sprinter Sacre wins (I reckon that's worth a punt on Al Ferof unless you're betting large on SS).

Boylesports - return your stake if your horse finishes 2nd in the last four races on Tuesday.

All offers are for new and existing customers. Usual free bet offers for all bookies are still available for new customers.

There are usually some great offers during Cheltenham week for new customers. I'm holding off til then.

There are usually some great offers during Cheltenham week for new customers. I'm holding off til then.

They're all available now. Check the free bets section of oddschecker. The ones I listed are all available for existing customers too.

They're all available now. Check the free bets section of oddschecker. The ones I listed are all available for existing customers too.

Will check them out over the weekend. Cheers.

Say What Again

If you fancy anything other than Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle, then Paddy Power is the place for you.

They're refunding ALL losing bets if Sprinter Sacre wins the Arkle.

Can't see Grand crus going for the gold cup it's a tougher race to win and a more difficult course . Next year if the horse learns not to pull to freely then it has a chance.

The Old Tolbooth

Here's what BetVictor are offering

1. Victor would like to offer you a FIVER for any bet placed this weekend at a value of ?5 or more. Don't miss your chance to WIN big!

Sounds a decent proposition as you could back horses this weekend at a fiver a pop and get free bets in place for next week if they lose, if they win then you have yer festival dough! :thumbsup:

Got a ?15 treble on,

Sizing Europe - 9/4

Hurricane Fly - 2/1

Big Bucks - 4/7

These are now 10/11 - 10/11 - 4/7

Looking forward to next weeks racing and will be having a few bets over the course of the week.Hopefully will strike it lucky,but the thing with Cheltenham is that there are so many horses to choose from and every one of them is trying :whistling:

Good luck everyone :thumbsup:

Good free bet offer via racing post today.

Bet ?10 via the racing post mobile app on a race this weekend then get a free ?10 bet on any race at Chelter next week.

See link below

http://www.racingpos...ltenham/997750/

thumbsup.gif

Went for Steelcut today at wolverhampton, knowing my luck, it prolly has 3 legs! laugh.gif

The Old Tolbooth

The Cheltenham Festival starts today for me because of the Paddy Power Imperial Cup at Sandown, the winner of this race will scoop a ?75,000 bonus if they go on to win a race at Cheltenham, any race! This race is normally won by a handicap snip, something which has been laid out for the scoop, and there's very often a late gamble on this race, so keep an eye on the market. My preference is for Ted Spread, I loved the way he completely destroyed his field the last time, he won as if he was cantering round his training yard, Pascha Bere was 2nd in that race and re-opposes on on 15lb better terms, but I don't think that will be enough such was the dominance of his display.

Master of Arts would have to go down as a big danger to the selection.

The Cheltenham Festival starts today for me because of the Paddy Power Imperial Cup at Sandown, the winner of this race will scoop a ?75,000 bonus if they go on to win a race at Cheltenham, any race! This race is normally won by a handicap snip, something which has been laid out for the scoop, and there's very often a late gamble on this race, so keep an eye on the market. My preference is for Ted Spread, I loved the way he completely destroyed his field the last time, he won as if he was cantering round his training yard, Pascha Bere was 2nd in that race and re-opposes on on 15lb better terms, but I don't think that will be enough such was the dominance of his display.

Master of Arts would have to go down as a big danger to the selection.

Same for me John, I cannot choose between two horses Il De Re 8/1 & Celtus 14/1.

Backed both.

The Old Tolbooth

Same for me John, I cannot choose between two horses Il De Re 8/1 & Celtus 14/1.

Backed both.

Tell you what mate, not even the biggest expert could have picked the winner of that one, he had nothing in his locker to suggest he could win a race like that, no wonder people say racing is bent :wacko:

Tell you what mate, not even the biggest expert could have picked the winner of that one, he had nothing in his locker to suggest he could win a race like that, no wonder people say racing is bent :wacko:

Yip, I reckon I could have selected a dozen horses in the race and Paintball would not have been among them. verymad.gif

thumbsup.gif

Went for Steelcut today at wolverhampton, knowing my luck, it prolly has 3 legs! laugh.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

ktg3W.png

Lucky pick I guess! ninja.gif

hmfc_liam06

Sprinter Sacre, Big Bucks, Hurricane Fly, Long Run & Quvenga. Any 4 from 5 (?5 each line) and ?10 on the 5.

Will also be having the odd daily bet.

Mind and take your sunglasses, I was there 3 years ago and have never seen so many orange wimmin, outside Ibrox.

Well here is my selections for day onesince I'm leaving tomorrow morning. Though more than likely change my mind depending how much I win/lose.

1.30 Supreme novices.

Cinders and ashes 9/1 each way fast improving horse from a stable going places and in good form.

maybe a little on tetlami 14/1 good jumper from a powerful stable

Trends won last time out 8/10

ran within the last 45 days 9/10

won 50% of hurdles starts 10/10

2.05 Arkle

Sprinter sacre should win this as some people think he is the second coming but at the odds I can't have him and hope he gets into a fight with cue card for the lead and leave Al ferof 3/1 to pick up the pieces.

2.40 JLT chase

can't choose between tullemore dew 12/1, zarrafakt 16/1 or fruity o ronney at 33/1 yet.

Selkirk_Jambo

Does anyone know if Somersby is going for the Queen Mother or the Ryanair?

Still listed for both

The Old Tolbooth

Does anyone know if Somersby is going for the Queen Mother or the Ryanair?

Still listed for both

Apparently Henrietta Knight is leaving the decision as late as possible due to the unpredictability of the British weather, doesn't help us backers though :wacko:

EDIT - That's spooky, I just posted the above and the news came through on Facebook that Somersby will not be going for the Queen Mother and instead be trying his luck in the Ryanair. :thumbsup:

Selkirk_Jambo

Apparently Henrietta Knight is leaving the decision as late as possible due to the unpredictability of the British weather, doesn't help us backers though :wacko:

EDIT - That's spooky, I just posted the above and the news came through on Facebook that Somersby will not be going for the Queen Mother and instead be trying his luck in the Ryanair. :thumbsup:

Ha, I was jut about to come back and post the same. Was looking through the Queen Mother racecard and all of sudden noticed Somersby was not listed anymore :D

Well, thats my selection for the Ryanair then. Somersby won brilliantly last time out and time before that was behing Kauto and Long Run (Captain Chris as well, but his form has bombed)

6/1 = Value.

just noticed i've got a 5 blab free bet on my existing ladbrokes account. free bets on an account i already had????? what's the world coming to?

won't look a gift horse in the mooth. it's on cinders and ashes in the supreme novice.

sorry for kyboshing this horse for everyone else.

Robbo-Jambo

Tuesday Treble :thumbsup:

2.05 Sprinter Sacre 3.20 Hurricane Fly 4.40 Quevega

Coming in at about 4/1 at the moment with Hills.

Tuesday Treble :thumbsup:

2.05 Sprinter Sacre 3.20 Hurricane Fly 4.40 Quevega

Coming in at about 4/1 at the moment with Hills.

Odds on favourites have a pretty horrible record at Cheltenham, with Quevega and Big Buck's being very much the exception to the rule.

I don't fancy your bet to come in. In fact, I think and hope (sorry I'm on Cue Card) it will fail at the first hurdle.

Tuesday, March 13

Race 1 - 1:30 Darlan

Race 2 - 2:05 Sprinter Sacre

Race 3 - 2:40 The Package

Race 4 - 3:20 Zarkandar

Race 5 - 4:00 Scotsirish

Race 6 - 4:40 Quevega

Race 7 - 5:15 Carrickboy

Rudi Skacel

I havent even looked at any horses yet. Will check the papers tomorow but I will be doing my usual ?5.20 canadian bet with my 20p stake.

Not alot of cash and adds some interest to it.

Robbo-Jambo

Odds on favourites have a pretty horrible record at Cheltenham, with Quevega and Big Buck's being very much the exception to the rule.

I don't fancy your bet to come in. In fact, I think and hope (sorry I'm on Cue Card) it will fail at the first hurdle.

:(

Here's mine that are on for tomorrow. Used a variety of free bets and offers that I mentioned above to cover most of them...

1.30 Midnight Game ?10 free bet @ 14/1

2.05 Al Ferof ?20 @ 9/4 (stake returned if Sprinter Sacre wins)

2.40 Quantitativeeasing ?10 @ 6/1 (stake returned if it finishes 2nd)

3.20/4.40 Hurricane Fly/Quevega double ?50 free bet @ 5/2

4.00 Uncle Junior ?5 free bet @ 4/1

Good luck and hope the bookies take a hammering! :thumbsup:

Opening day of the Festival is the best IMO, the roar at the start of the opener is one of the great noises in sport.

As I'm working tomorrow I won't see any of the races (until checking Youtube much later) and haven't got any money invested at all, so I've had a quick glance at the races for Tuesday & would be choosing (no point in backing short priced favs at Cheltenham - races are hard enough to win without sweating over a short price):

1.30 Cinders & Ashes (Love the McCain/Maguire combo)

2.05 Cue Card

2.40 Our Mick

3.20 Oscars Well E/W

4.00 Garde Champetre

4.40 Kentford Grey Lady E/W

5.15 Going Wrong

Just stuck ?10 on Al Ferof at 11/4,Paddy Power will refund bet if Sprinter Sacre wins :thumbsup:

Steps to freedom

Sprinter sacre quevega double

Hold on julio

Zarkander Ew

Sizing Australia

Swincombe flame Ew

Mics delight

Tuesday, March 13

Race 1 - 1:30 Darlan

Race 2 - 2:05 Sprinter Sacre

Race 3 - 2:40 The Package

Race 4 - 3:20 Zarkandar

Race 5 - 4:00 Scotsirish

Race 6 - 4:40 Quevega

Race 7 - 5:15 Carrickboy

Like your thinking, Race 3 - 2.40 Hold on Julio, the rest are spot on :thumbsup:

Tullamore Dew is my nap of the day in the 2.40. Hurricane Fly will win the Champion Hurdle.

rossthejambo

Steering clear of the odds-on races (will probably change my mind nearer the time)

1.30 - Darlan

2.40 - Hold on Julio

4.00 - Garde Champetre

5.15 - Hunt Ball

Walter Bishop

1:30 Montbazon

2:05 Al Ferof

2:40 Noland

3:20 Binocular

4:00 Sizing Australia

4:40 Quevega

5:15 Charminster