Hip Hop at Glastonbury ?????

felix

Not often I agree with Noel Gallagher but I'm with him on this one.

It's just plain wrong.:sad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7345780.stm

Can't disagree more. "Glastonbury has a history of guitar music"?. On the contrary, the beauty of the festival is the diversity of acts on show. One of my personal favourite Glastonbury moments was watching Orbital play the main stage way back in 1995!

"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

That quote sums up Noel completely. Just because he is stuck repeating the same pish over and over again, doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

If people don't like a Hip-Hop main stage headliner, there are plenty of other stages at Glastonbury to go to.

That quote sums up Noel completely. Just because he is stuck repeating the same pish over and over again, doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

If people don't like a Hip-Hop main stage headliner, there are plenty of other stages at Glastonbury to go to.

Fair point.

Glastonbury is absolutely garbage. I wouldn't go because it's full of dull, generic indie bands that all look and sound the same and smellie hippies, rolling about in poo eating lentils. I would agree that Jay-Z is also garbage so i'd change the OPs point to "there should be decent hiphop at Glasto and not gash ganksta kiddie rap pop" like Jay-Z.

Glastonbury is absolutely garbage. I wouldn't go because it's full of dull, generic indie bands that all look and sound the same and smellie hippies, rolling about in poo eating lentils. I would agree that Jay-Z is also garbage so i'd change the OPs point to "there should be decent hiphop at Glasto and not gash ganksta kiddie rap pop" like Jay-Z.

Another fair point....maybe it's just Jay-Z everyone has a problem with.:o

Another fair point....maybe it's just Jay-Z everyone has a problem with.:o

Has he not threatened to pull out and do some urban thing at the 02 instead because he is being blamed for poor ticket sales.

Has he not threatened to pull out and do some urban thing at the 02 instead because he is being blamed for poor ticket sales.

The Sun are saying he's pulling out apparently.

That means he'll be playing. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more, have never got my head round how Jay Z is such a major star in the rap game.

I had around four of his albums at one point, each and every one can be described by the word 'meh', and now I have none having binned them all.

aye the rumour was leaked just before the tickets went on sale, the tickets hadnt even sold out by the end of the first day, usually there gone within hours

Oh aye, Oasis are pish right enough. Its not like their one of the biggest act's of the last ten or so years at all.

He's right. Its no coincidence that Glastonbury, a festival that will usually sell out within hours, cant sell out, because they are making guff like Jay-z headliners. T in the park manages to get RATM and REM, Glastonbury gets Jay-z. I know where id rather be!

Oh aye, Oasis are pish right enough. Its not like their one of the biggest act's of the last ten or so years at all.

He's right. Its no coincidence that Glastonbury, a festival that will usually sell out within hours, cant sell out, because they are making guff like Jay-z headliners. T in the park manages to get RATM and REM, Glastonbury gets Jay-z. I know where id rather be!

The Spice Girls are also one of the biggest acts in the last 10 years. Should we also find out their opinion on who should headline Glastonbury?

Jay Z just isn't as popular in Britain. Never had a song number 1 in Britain and only ever had two in the top ten, one of which was a duet with the more popular Beyonce. I doubt there would be as much of a problem if it were 50 Cent (6 top ten singles) or Kayne West (6 top ten singles (1 No.1))

The Spice Girls are also one of the biggest acts in the last 10 years. Should we also find out their opinion on who should headline Glastonbury?

Its music like Oasis that is always assosiated with the festival, and thats why it has been so successful. The spice girls, like Jay-z, will not appeal to your average Glastonbury fan.

And another thing. The implication of that article is that Glastonbury in 1995 was a sell-out as a result of Oasis playing there. As I remember, the Stone Roses were supposed to be playing, but had to pull out and Oasis were brought in at the last minute!

Oasis are pish right enough.

I agree with that bit.

Most bland and over-rated band i've ever heard.

And another thing. The implication of that article is that Glastonbury in 1995 was a sell-out as a result of Oasis playing there. As I remember, the Stone Roses were supposed to be playing, but had to pull out and Oasis were brought in at the last minute!

It was Pulp who replaced the Stone Roses at the last minute, and they played a stormer. I remember Orbital also headlining that year who were also amazing, can't remember much else though.

And Haj, I doubt the average Glastonbury fan is interested in any of the Main Stage headliners. IMO the hardcore Glastonbury people are more interested in other unique aspects of that festival than middle of the road headliners. No doubt that big names help sell the tickets quicker though.

I agree with that bit.

Most bland and over-rated band i've ever heard.

Definatley Mabey is probably the album of the 90's. Compared to some of the junk thats coming out now...Klaxons, wombats, scouting for girls they are in a different league

Definatley Mabey is probably the album of the 90's. Compared to some of the junk thats coming out now...Klaxons, wombats, scouting for girls they are in a different league

I thought it was dull, formulaic and a rip off of better and more original bands.

Jay Z is probably as big as Oasis mate, if not bigger.

Yeh Jay Z is gash but so have Oasis been for years.

Jay Z is probably as big as Oasis mate, if not bigger.

Yeh Jay Z is gash but so have Oasis been for years.

As far as Britain is concerned Oasis are far bigger than Jay Z, and thats the reason Oasis are going to attract far more people than Jay z at a british festival.

Woop de doo. A crappy rapper instead of another bland pop band.

Anyone who would stand 3/4 of a mile back to watch a TV screen at one of these festivals deserves all they get.

As far as Britain is concerned Oasis are far bigger than Jay Z...

Not one to generalise or anything, are you?!!

As far as this Brit is concerned they're both appalling.

Not one to generalise or anything, are you?!!

As far as this Brit is concerned they're both appalling.

I didnt mean every British individual, I meant the British public as a whole so no, im not one to generalise. You can base success in any given country on album sales and the like, and in that respect, Oasis would fair far better than Jay z.

I didnt mean every British individual, I meant the British public as a whole so no, im not one to generalise. You can base success in any given country on album sales and the like, and in that respect, Oasis would fair far better than Jay z.

Fair enough, and I don't disagree. Though commercial success is hardly a measure of quality is it?

Tickets have been available for over a week now and there are STILL loads left.

Tells you all you need to know.

The public don't want a rapper as the main act. Simple as.

Glasto tickets usually sell out in a matter of minutes.

It's supposed to be a hippy festival, fer chrissake.

Rumours were kicking about earlier on in the year that Led Zep were going to do one of the nights. Now I would have paid for that, but it was so unlikely anyway

Jay-Z, no thanks

Craig Gordons Gloves

I dont think it is just the fact that a crap hip hop artist is headlining that is slowing ticket sales. Over the past few years - glastonbury has been a mjor nightmare with the rain and the mud -and i suspect that alot of people are fed up paying a ridiculous price to go and get soaked and manky when the same type of gigs happen on the continent and arent that much more expensive to get to.

Convenient that there is a crappy hip hop star to blame though....

Connect is the one for me should I get back in time.

Same here, although I'm getting a bit worrried about the line-up! Paulo Nutini FFS!

I dont think it is just the fact that a crap hip hop artist is headlining that is slowing ticket sales. Over the past few years - glastonbury has been a mjor nightmare with the rain and the mud -and i suspect that alot of people are fed up paying a ridiculous price to go and get soaked and manky when the same type of gigs happen on the continent and arent that much more expensive to get to.

Convenient that there is a crappy hip hop star to blame though....

Thats pretty much my take on it. The weather, plus rising costs, and all the effort you need to do to register for tickets is putting people off.

There have been hip-hop acts for years at glastonbury, why would a headliner make people stop buying tickets.

Thats pretty much my take on it. The weather, plus rising costs, and all the effort you need to do to register for tickets is putting people off.

There have been hip-hop acts for years at glastonbury, why would a headliner make people stop buying tickets.[/QUOTE]

Because not as many people like him I'd guess.

Glastonbury's not really about hip hop imho..traditionally it's been Hippies; Contemporary, Guitars, Dance, Indie, Drugs Jazz, Drugs, Nostalgic Novelty Acts and more drugs.

Hip Hop's not really featured much over the years unless you count the Beastie Boys, Tricky & Goldie ? :confused:

Keep Hip Hop on the streets & clubs where it belongs... like socks & sandals, breakdancing and greenfields don't match.

I P Knightley
I thought it was dull, formulaic and a rip off of better and more original bands.

The first time that "Better and more original" has been applied to Status Quo!!

Commander Harris

I like jay-z's earlier stuff - he does seem to have lost his way a bit but I think his early stuff is really good, lyrically anyway. I don't think his beats are great but I think he was one of the best in the genre lyrically.

Because not as many people like him I'd guess.

Glastonbury's not really about hip hop imho..traditionally it's been Hippies; Contemporary, Guitars, Dance, Indie, Drugs Jazz, Drugs, Nostalgic Novelty Acts and more drugs.

Hip Hop's not really featured much over the years unless you count the Beastie Boys, Tricky & Goldie ? :confused:

Keep Hip Hop on the streets & clubs where it belongs... like socks & sandals, breakdancing and greenfields don't match.

But do you really think that having one act on a 3 day festival that people do not like would put people off buying tickets?

Of all the festivals I have been to, there have been plenty of different bands playing at them that I absolutely hate. It doesn't stop me buying a ticket for the festival, it only stops me going near the specific stage they are playing on at the time they are due to be playing.

I cannot honestly believe that people would blame poor ticket sales on one act, it really baffles me on how people can be so narrow minded.

But do you really think that having one act on a 3 day festival that people do not like would put people off buying tickets?

Of all the festivals I have been to, there have been plenty of different bands playing at them that I absolutely hate. It doesn't stop me buying a ticket for the festival, it only stops me going near the specific stage they are playing on at the time they are due to be playing.

I cannot honestly believe that people would blame poor ticket sales on one act, it really baffles me on how people can be so narrow minded.

The point is though; Jay - Z is one of the 3 headline acts, not just one of many.

In previous years, the headliners have usually been big crowd pleasers at the peak of their popularity. Yes Jay-Z's popular, but his fan base may not be the type to get jaked in a muddy field during a 3-day spiritual & pagan-rooted festival ?

The point is though; Jay - Z is one of the 3 headline acts, not just one of many.

In previous years, the headliners have usually been big crowd pleasers at the peak of their popularity. Yes Jay-Z's popular, but his fan base may not be the type to get jaked in a muddy field during a 3-day spiritual & pagan-rooted festival ?

Yeah, I understand that his name won't bring many new people to Glastonbury. My point was that it shouldn't discourage people going to Glastonbury either. There are many other factors putting people off, rather than just one headliner.

Personally, I have never been to a festival where I have liked all the main stage headliners. But there is always headliners on other stages to keep you interested. It's a festival, not a gig. Glastonbury is about the experience, not the headline acts.

I P Knightley

Like Dame Shirley Bassey last year? (I know; you said 'usually')

Just seen that Q magazine have got Definitely Maybe as their readers' best British Album ever. Who's Next is 33rd. Glad I cancelled my subscription - that magazine's gone off a cliff.

Like Dame Shirley Bassey last year? (I know; you said 'usually')

Just seen that Q magazine have got Definitely Maybe as their readers' best British Album ever. Who's Next is 33rd. Glad I cancelled my subscription - that magazine's gone off a cliff.

Wouldn't put Burly Chassis down as a headliner; The day she played, The Who; Kaiser Chiefs & The Manics were all on the bill.

I'd file dame Shirley under "nostalgic novelty act".

Wouldn't put Burly Chassis down as a headliner; The day she played, The Who; Kaiser Chiefs & The Manics were all on the bill.

i'd agree with that, i dont know where Shirley Bassey was on the bill but dont think she was actually a headliner

Patrick Bateman

Pay ?150 for 3 days of wind, rain and E'd up Neds singing and dancing to themselves or ?200 (including flights) for a week of camping on the mediterranean coast?

Festivals on the continent are far, far better.

Cheaper, better weather, better looking women.

I P Knightley

I know - the diamante studded welly boots were a giveaway.

Pete Townshend, though, was hugely complimentary about her and made 2 claims about why her helicopter had to make the emergency landing.

One was that DSB is 'pure gold' and the chopper couldn't bear the weight.

The second was that DSB had stolen the show from The Who so they rigged her helicopter.

Both surprisingly warm from a curmudgeon such as Townshend!!

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Pay ?150 for 3 days of wind, rain and E'd up Neds singing and dancing to themselves or ?200 (including flights) for a week of camping on the mediterranean coast?

Festivals on the continent are far, far better.

Cheaper, better weather, better looking women.

I've not been to festival on the continent yet but there are now companies offering trips to European Festivals for the same price as TITP or Glastonbury. These prices include travel.

I will definitely be trying one out in the next few years.

Im no a glastonbury fan, i head down to global gathering (dance festival in england) every year and they have sold out this year having headliners of Mark Ronson and Kanye West....

Its a dance festival for christ sakes if i wanted to see hip hop i would go to a hip hop festival.....

Im no a glastonbury fan, i head down to global gathering (dance festival in england) every year and they have sold out this year having headliners of Mark Ronson and Kanye West....

Its a dance festival for christ sakes if i wanted to see hip hop i would go to a hip hop festival.....

Can't say i've ever heard of a hiphop festival in the UK.

Archived