This Weeks Champs League

Bert Le Clos

0-0 at the moment in Moscow between CSKA and Real.

Fancy Napoli to turn over Chelsea tonight. Likewise I think it will be a tough away leg for Inter tomorrow.

Bayern should beat Basel. I know Basel have a good home record, but Bayern are a quality side. Only quality sides win at Basel in Europe :thumbsup:

Anyone got any streams for tonights game, including the Real one? I'm a council telly man :(

The CSKA - Real game is being played in -10!!! feck that!!! Cant see anything other than a convincing Real victory

Aparantly Napoli havent lost at home in Europe since 1994!!! Hope they turn Chelsea for 3 or 4 tonight, should be an intresting one as Terry is out and Cahill will be making his Champions League debut. Fancy Gary Cahill and David Luiz to deal with Cavani and Lavezzi?? Nah. They will get pumped. Hopefully

should be an intresting one as Terry is out and Cahill will be making his Champions League debut. Fancy Gary Cahill and David Luiz to deal with Cavani and Lavezzi?? Nah. They will get pumped. Hopefully

I don't think Terry would make any difference anyway TBH!

Champions League is complete turn-off for me these days.

Same. Boring as hell. Samey samey samey pish. Every year.

I don't think Terry would make any difference anyway TBH!

aye but cahill and luiz are both worse than terry. well maybe cahill isny but luiz certainly is. cavani and co look good in the champions league this year, sit 6th in the league though

Ronaldo just scored a left foot volley to give Real the lead 0-1

Really looking forward to Napoli-Chelsea. Fabulous chance for the Italians; but they?re a club who often shoot themselves in the foot, and Chelsea scraping through over the two legs still seems most likely to me.

The other ties are a pile of **** though, frankly. The CL last 16 is usually terrific, but not this year. Real Madrid to win it thinks me.

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

AVB has apparently left his team line-up and tactics in the team hotel, and it has been exposed in the media.

Really looking forward to Napoli-Chelsea. Fabulous chance for the Italians; but they?re a club who often shoot themselves in the foot, and Chelsea scraping through over the two legs still seems most likely to me.

The other ties are a pile of **** though, frankly. The CL last 16 is usually terrific, but not this year.Real Madrid to win it thinks me.

i agree, iv watched them alot this year and i think they will wipe the floor with anyone this season over two legs, except barca. in the final its totally diffrent, but i still think they would destroy the rest of the teams on the chapions league

Same. Boring as hell. Samey samey samey pish. Every year.

Aye you're both right. I think I'll choose my viewing from either Welling v Havant and Waterlooville or East Fife v Dunbarton instead.

:cornette:

The other ties are a pile of **** though, frankly. The CL last 16 is usually terrific, but not this year. Real Madrid to win it thinks me.

FFS you can't win, 2 folk saying it's boring samey pish and someone else complaining because there are different teams in the last 16 for a change! :thumbsup:

I'm still going to tune into Europe's elite competition, so does anyone have any streams?!?!

FFS you can't win, 2 folk saying it's boring samey pish and someone else complaining because there are different teams in the last 16 for a change! :thumbsup:

I'm still going to tune into Europe's elite competition, so does anyone have any streams?!?!

Noticed that too! Surely this is the year to watch it, if you're bored with the 'same old teams'?

Loadsa streams on First Row (http://www.firstrowsports.eu/) for both games.

Aye you're both right. I think I'll choose my viewing from either Welling v Havant and Waterlooville or East Fife v Dunbarton instead.

:cornette:

Indeed ... makes you wonder why folks even bother with the sport.

Surely as someone who bemoans the "cartel", you should be pleased that there are different teams in the last 16?

Surely as someone who bemoans the "cartel", you should be pleased that there are different teams in the last 16?

Pleased? Kinda. But since I was a lad, the European ties which got the pulse racing have been glamour ties. That didn?t have to mean two heavyweights slugging it out: part of the problem with the modern game is how few unfashionbable English clubs make it into Europe nowadays, meaning Fulham?s run two years ago (and especially, their home game with Juventus) was so refreshing. Though immediately contradicting myself, that doesn?t mean I?d take any pleasure in any success Stoke might have. If Stoke were playing in my back garden, I?d draw the curtains.

But the thing about the CL last 16 is there?s usually three or four ties, sometimes more, which look mouthwatering - not this year though. The competition?s predictable enough as it is, without the knock-out stages becoming a procession too. :(

This pish of playing the games over 4 weeks and 8 different nights is a total nonsense. Takes away from the drama.

Totally agree. Hate it. I like the final being played on a Saturday now, though.

Pleased? Kinda. But since I was a lad, the European ties which got the pulse racing have been glamour ties. That didn?t have to mean two heavyweights slugging it out: part of the problem with the modern game is how few unfashionbable English clubs make it into Europe nowadays, meaning Fulham?s run two years ago (and especially, their home game with Juventus) was so refreshing. Though immediately contradicting myself, that doesn?t mean I?d take any pleasure in any success Stoke might have. If Stoke were playing in my back garden, I?d draw the curtains.

But the thing about the CL last 16 is there?s usually three or four ties, sometimes more, which look mouthwatering - not this year though. The competition?s predictable enough as it is, without the knock-out stages becoming a procession too. :(

You're contradicting yourself so much that you're ceasing to make sense.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

just turned on the real game, why is there no sponsor on the madrid shirt?

A quick scan of Google suggests there is some sort of ban on gambling sponsorship in Russia.

late equaliser for CSKA from Wernbloom, new signing on his debut scores with last kick off the game

hes had 3 or 4 bad tackles and shouldnt be on the pitch

:seething:

You're contradicting yourself so much that you're ceasing to make sense.

No I?m not.

The problem with smaller clubs doing better in the group stages is it makes the knock-out stages easier for the bigger clubs, and hence, more predictable. If it?s more predictable, it?s more of a turn-off - unless one or more of those smaller clubs does something truly amazing.

For years and years, people moaned about the horrible predictability of the FA Cup. But in 2008, we had upset after upset, and semi-finals of Portsmouth-West Brom and Cardiff-Barnsley. And guess what? Hardly anyone watched them.

What any tournament of this elite nature needs is a mix of stories, upsets and the cream rising to the top - because the public identifies with all of that. If there are too many upsets, the public get bored; if the big clubs dominate everything, the public again get bored. So a balance has to be found. Most of the time, the NFL - wonderfully competitive and unpredictable - nails that balance in a way the Champ?ons League does not.

I hate these boring, predictable games in the last 16.

You think 1-1 at home is a good result for CSKA?! Madrid will cruise through.

I agree to a certain extent.

It's knowhere near as good as it once was.

All geared up to ensure its the final Uefa want, the one that maximises income. :thumbsdown:

I will still watch it and still enjoy it. But preferred it a good few years back.

Though immediately contradicting myself, that doesn?t mean I?d take any pleasure in any success Stoke might have. If Stoke were playing in my back garden, I?d draw the curtains.

I totally agree. Stoke deserve credit for making the most of what they've got, but the play horrible football based on physically intimidating their opponents.

Only team I've seen worse than them were that lot Scotland played in the World Cup in 1986. Can't remember who it was though. No wait, got it...

Uruguay.

::troll:::'>

Noticed that too! Surely this is the year to watch it, if you're bored with the 'same old teams'?

Loadsa streams on First Row (http://www.firstrowsports.eu/) for both games.

I never said anything about the same old teams though.

I just find the whole set up rather dull. The seedings, the ultra defensive football played by half the teams and the lack of meaningful rivalries in this year's competition.

What any tournament of this elite nature needs is a mix of stories, upsets and the cream rising to the top - because the public identifies with all of that. If there are too many upsets, the public get bored; if the big clubs dominate everything, the public again get bored. So a balance has to be found. Most of the time, the NFL - wonderfully competitive and unpredictable - nails that balance in a way the Champ?ons League does not.

The last 16 ties this year are: Bayer Leverkusen v Barcelona; Lyon v Apoel Nicosia; Zenit St Petersburg v Benfica; AC Milan v Arsenal; CSKA Moscow v Real Madrid; Napoli v Chelsea; FC Basel v Bayern Munich, and Marseille v Inter Milan.

Within that you have your mix of stories in terms of progression, Apoel Nicosia in particular doing surprisingly well, scope for upsets and some huge teams who will, in the main, make it to the latter stages.

So what are you complaining about?

I totally agree. Stoke deserve credit for making the most of what they've got, but the play horrible football based on physically intimidating their opponents.

Only team I've seen worse than them were that lot Scotland played in the World Cup in 1986. Can't remember who it was though. No wait, got it...

Uruguay.

::troll:::'>

:lol:

I agree, and so would pretty much every Uruguayan. The coach of that team was so loathed for what they did that he ended up under house arrest when he returned home!

The last 16 ties this year are: Bayer Leverkusen v Barcelona; Lyon v Apoel Nicosia; Zenit St Petersburg v Benfica; AC Milan v Arsenal; CSKA Moscow v Real Madrid; Napoli v Chelsea; FC Basel v Bayern Munich, and Marseille v Inter Milan.

Within that you have your mix of stories in terms of progression, Apoel Nicosia in particular doing surprisingly well, scope for upsets and some huge teams who will, in the main, make it to the latter stages.

So what are you complaining about?

It?s too easy to predict who?ll get through those ties. That?s what I?m complaining about. You just hailed a last minute equaliser for CSKA as proof of unpredictability, when Madrid?ll win the tie about 4-1 on aggregate!

chealsea team,

cech

ivanovic cahill luiz bosingwas

sturridge ramires mata meireles malouda

drogba

:arry:

lampard, essian and cole on the bench

theyr gonna get torn apart

:pleasing:

It?s too easy to predict who?ll get through those ties. That?s what I?m complaining about. You just hailed a last minute equaliser for CSKA as proof of unpredictability, when Madrid?ll win the tie about 4-1 on aggregate!

Looking at those ties:

Bayer Leverkusen v Barcelona - Barcelona always going to stroll through.

Lyon v Apoel Nicosia - Turned out much closer than I would have predicted.

Zenit St Petersburg v Benfica - High scoring first leg, could go either way.

AC Milan v Arsenal - Would not have predicted such a doing for Arsenal.

CSKA Moscow v Real Madrid - 1-1 after first leg. Early goal for CSKA Moscow in Madrid and who knows? Will probably be comfortable for Real, though.

Napoli v Chelsea, FC Basel v Bayern Munich and Marseille v Inter Milan are all pretty interesting ties, too. Of the eight games, I would have confidently predicted Barcelona, Lyon, Real Madrid. One of those is already up in the air.

late equaliser for CSKA from Wernbloom, new signing on his debut scores with last kick off the game

hes had 3 or 4 bad tackles and shouldnt be on the pitch

:seething:

I'm just fuming CSKA have already ruined my coupon

the napoli players hairnet, what the fecks that all about!!! :rofl: whats wrong with a bit bandage? why the whole hairnet?? :rofl:

Napoli could rue these chances that are going a begging.

Chelsea look all over the shop when Napoli have the ball in the final third. Its going to be interesting to see how Gary Cahill does in the next year.

Very lazy by A. Cole.

Good save Cech.

he was tracking back like the gambian roberto carlos did on sunday, at a mild jog

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

the napoli players hairnet, what the fecks that all about!!! :rofl: whats wrong with a bit bandage? why the whole hairnet?? :rofl:

That's Hugo Campagnaro.

He was involved in a serious road accident in June last year, so I'm assuming he suffered serious head trauma, and his hairnet thing is to protect his skull.

That's Hugo Campagnaro.

He was involved in a serious road accident in June last year, so I'm assuming he suffered serious head trauma, and his hairnet thing is to protect his skull.

i didnt know that

looks a bit silly but safety comes first

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

i didnt know that

looks a bit silly but safety comes first

Yeah first time I've ever seen such a thing being wore, I was pretty perplexed as well!

Fabulous chance for the Italians; but they?re a club who often shoot themselves in the foot

I was saying...

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Horrendous mistake from Paolo Cannavaro.

Easy finish for Mata. A surprising 1-0 lead for Chelski.

That's Hugo Campagnaro.

I do feel sorry for him, but I agree with Fragg. He looks a right throbber.

Archived