Tired Players

marooned

Sergio is always making comments about his players being tired with so many matches. What if Hearts were in Europe, the Championship even some of the Premiership teams seem to have regular midweek games. Surely professional footballers should be able to handle at least two games a week? What do you think?

The White Cockade

we have been crap for weeks

nothing to do with 2 games a week imo

if our players can't play twice a week then its time they did more training

Alwaysinourshadows

Sergio is always making comments about his players being tired with so many matches. What if Hearts were in Europe, the Championship even some of the Premiership teams seem to have regular midweek games. Surely professional footballers should be able to handle at least two games a week? What do you think?

He is using that as an excuse to cover up his poor team selections, and IF the players are tired why not play a few youngsters to rotate the squad?

The Real Maroonblood

Imagine how tired the poor wee souls would be if they had a real job.

I would tend to agree for the most part but last Tuesday at Perth was exceptionally hard and included 30 minutes extra time. It was clear in the second half at Motherwell that they had nothing left in the tank. Gowser, after all the leaping about after Zal's goal, must have been particularly tired!

Francis Albert

I don't thnk it's much of an excuse for full time professionals, but however many competitions you are in it is rare to play more than 5 games in 13 days.

For what it's worth Wenger was using the "tired after 3 away games in 8 days" excuse for the performance at Sunderland. All managers seem to complain when they have too many games in too few days ... however large their squad.

Nelly Terraces

Motherwell were down to 10 men for almost the entire 2nd half. They managed to score. Don't hear their manager bleating about their players being tired.

For tired, read, just rubbish at football.

Usually I don't subscribe to the theory but a tin of away games and 120 minutes midweek will take its toll.

Though we really have noone else to blame,should have took care of business at Tynecastle in the first place

Francis Albert

Motherwell were down to 10 men for almost the entire 2nd half. They managed to score. Don't hear their manager bleating about their players being tired.

For tired, read, just rubbish at football.

Managers rarely bleat after 3-0 wins.

<br />Motherwell were down to 10 men for almost the entire 2nd half. They managed to score. Don't hear their manager bleating about their players being tired.<br />

<br />

For tired, read, just rubbish at football.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Down to 10 men but 2 goals up is still an advantageous position,especially when your opponent forward line is toothless and the backline are leaving space in an effort to get back into the game

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I do not agree that tiredness should be accepted as an excuse for such dire results but two things...

Is he realy "always using it as an excuse"?...

If we were in Europe or whatever then we would probably have cut our cloth differently to reflect our different means.

I don't thnk it's much of an excuse for full time professionals, but however many competitions you are in it is rare to play more than 5 games in 13 days.

For what it's worth Wenger was using the "tired after 3 away games in 8 days" excuse for the performance at Sunderland. All managers seem to complain when they have too many games in too few days ... however large their squad.

It's clearly a loser?s mentality - I mean, look at this idiot complaining below. What does he know about football, eh? :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0lpH-XJ_zk

5 games in 13 days is too much - and Sergio is just protecting his players (and hence, doing his job) in saying so.

If tired, all you do is a little light training. The games are keeping you fit. Though, little knocks and niggle injury's do take there toll. Think its more preparation for the next game that gets hit.

If tired, all you do is a little light training. The games are keeping you fit. Though, little knocks and niggle injury's do take there toll. Think its more preparation for the next game that gets hit.

tired im tired off his away tactics, also tired of watching hamill/grainger/driver/mcdonald/elliot

How much running does the average player do per game? Like 8-9km? They can't run that distance twice a week, even though they are professional atheletes??.

The same managers tend to come out with this excuse every year. If Arsenal etc know that at some point in their season they are going to have to play 3 games in 9 days, then why aren't they getting their fitness levels up to a standard where they can handle that?

If players are too tired then it's up to the manager to change the team round. Get the youngsters in.

There was an argument about playing McDonald instead of Kello as McDonald will be here next season. Same thing should apply to the rest of the out of contract players. Why did Obua start? Get a youngster in the team who wants to play for the club and will give you 100%.

Our away form is shocking - they can't have been tired in every away game which means the manager can't set up his team to win away from home.

More to do with us being poor with lack of inspiration from the manager, not enough players giving everything and not enough focus on how we are meant to be playing.

Maybe if we had another midweek game this week we could use the tired excuse but we`ve hardly had a tough schedule througout the season.

But players can become fatigued. I`m a bit on the fence with some comments already made earlier.

Players might have the best of treatment but if you`ve taken a few dunts it doesn`t matter how many massages or how much rest you have it can take 2, 3 days to fully shake off knocks. And if you are being asked every 3 days to be in mint physical condition to come up against teams who have a had a full weeks prep, its tough going.

Im not saying im feeling sorry for them because i haven`t seen enough of our team run themselves into the ground for the cause lately, but if they had i`d have more understanding and sympathy.

But we haven`t won one game out of the last few in 90 minutes. Not good enough.

yes, about 10k. But playing football is far different than your average run in the park :)

To an extent it is. But surely the whole thing about being tired is just an overall lack of fitness. I am sure the Olympic marathon runners would laugh at these guys saying they are tired after playing football twice a week.

On top of that you look at guys like Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Federer. These guys are constantly running for hours in their matches, and are constantly involved in the play, unlike footballers. These tennis players at tournaments will play every 2-3 days.

And how do the guys like Grainger, Obua, Driver, Tauoil and Skacel have the right to complain about being tired? They don't play every game. And very rarely play 90 minutes.

Jambo, Goodbye

This was the team that beat St Johnstone,

• 30 MacDonald
  • 03 Grainger Booked (McGowan - 73' )
  • 06 Webster
  • 13 Obua (Templeton - 64' )
  • 26 Zaliukas
  • 02 Hamill Booked
  • 19 Skacel Booked
  • 21 Taouil (Suso Santana - 81' Booked )
  • 31 Mrowiec
  • 10 Elliott
  • 27 Robinson

This is the team that lost to Motherwell

• 30 MacDonald
  • 03 Grainger
  • 06 Webster
  • 13 Obua
  • 17 McGowan
  • 26 Zaliukas
  • 08 Black Booked (Taouil - 67' )
  • 11 Driver (Robinson - 46' )
  • 12 Templeton (Skacel - 38' )
  • 31 Mrowiec
  • 10 Elliott

By what I can work out 8 out of the 14 (or 6 out of the starting 11) that lost on Saturday did not even play 90 minutes on Tuesday let alone 120 minutes.

This was the team that beat St Johnstone,

• 30 MacDonald
  • 03 Grainger Booked (McGowan - 73' )
  • 06 Webster
  • 13 Obua (Templeton - 64' )
  • 26 Zaliukas
  • 02 Hamill Booked
  • 19 Skacel Booked
  • 21 Taouil (Suso Santana - 81' Booked )
  • 31 Mrowiec
  • 10 Elliott
  • 27 Robinson

This is the team that lost to Motherwell

• 30 MacDonald
  • 03 Grainger
  • 06 Webster
  • 13 Obua
  • 17 McGowan
  • 26 Zaliukas
  • 08 Black Booked (Taouil - 67' )
  • 11 Driver (Robinson - 46' )
  • 12 Templeton (Skacel - 38' )
  • 31 Mrowiec
  • 10 Elliott

By what I can work out 8 out of the 14 (or 6 out of the starting 11) that lost on Saturday did not even play 90 minutes on Tuesday let alone 120 minutes.

Exactly mate. There is only a handful of players who play 90 minutes, week in, week out

To an extent it is. But surely the whole thing about being tired is just an overall lack of fitness. I am sure the Olympic marathon runners would laugh at these guys saying they are tired after playing football twice a week.

On top of that you look at guys like Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Federer. These guys are constantly running for hours in their matches, and are constantly involved in the play, unlike footballers. These tennis players at tournaments will play every 2-3 days.

And how do the guys like Grainger, Obua, Driver, Tauoil and Skacel have the right to complain about being tired? They don't play every game. And very rarely play 90 minutes.

I hear this all the time about tennis players mate, its admirable they play for a long time and seem strong but its a totally different training regime and process.

Football players are fit as. They have to do some amount of running, be ready to move at any time, take physical contact, make tackles(which takes it out of you). You can be involved in passages of play where the ball always seems to be in your area and it takes some stamina and fitness to cope.

They dinnae get wee breaks like tennis players and the sport is stop start aswell. There`s no way i`d say a tennis player has the stamina of a footballer.

He should watch the final of Australian open,between Djokovic and Nadal,then maybe he would think again about poor tired fitba players.

Jambo, Goodbye

I hear this all the time about tennis players mate, its admirable they play for a long time and seem strong but its a totally different training regime and process.

Football players are fit as. They have to do some amount of running, be ready to move at any time, take physical contact, make tackles(which takes it out of you). You can be involved in passages of play where the ball always seems to be in your area and it takes some stamina and fitness to cope.

They dinnae get wee breaks like tennis players and the sport is stop start aswell. There`s no way i`d say a tennis player has the stamina of a footballer.

Players in the SPL are wee skinny unfit amateurs compared to the good leagues, just look at how much more built teams like Germany are compared to Scotland.

Tennis has Nadal, Germany has athletes like Mario Gomez.

Our league has the likes of 'Professional Footballer' Willo Flood ermm.gif

No wonder our players can't get through more than 2 games a week!

Got to disagree mate. If the likes of Christian Nade and Garry O Conner can run for 5 hours like Djokovic and Murray, they are hiding it really well. We already agreed football players only run about 9km a game. Not a huge distance. You said footballers have passages of play where the ball is in their area, but surely for a tennis player the ball is always in their area?. Also how do football players not get breaks, there's free kicks, corners, throw ins all the time. Not to mention the extended periods of play where the ball is no where near their area of the pitch?

Jambo, Goodbye

Got to disagree mate. If the likes of Christian Nade and Garry O Conner can run for 5 hours like Djokovic and Murray, they are hiding it really well. We already agreed football players only run about 9km a game. Not a huge distance. You said footballers have passages of play where the ball is in their area, but surely for a tennis player the ball is always in their area?. Also how do football players not get breaks, there's free kicks, corners, throw ins all the time. Not to mention the extended periods of play where the ball is no where near their area of the pitch?

You forgot about half time laugh.gif

The inescapable truth is that the squad needs a drastic overhaul in the summer.

No-one should be tired at this stage in the season - that I'm afraid is a very pale excuse.

The People's Chimp

Some people talk some utter shite at times. What has a tennis match got to do with whether 5 games in 13 days would have an effect on a football player?

It becomes abundantly clear after any poor or disappointing result that there is a large percentage of posters on here who have not got the slightest clue about football, or about playing sports generally.

Comparing your average SPL player to top athletes is laughable!

The players in SPL are playing there because they are average at best. Do you think that an average SPL player can be compared to the likes of Nadal and Federer, or Miguel Indurain and Lance Armstrong?

Believe it or not but there are tens of thousands of SPL level cyclists, rugby players, Tennis players and so on! Only the best of the best get to the top, many by a combination of many things such as far greater skill levels, a greater desire to win, better facilities, better coaching, better climates, higher standard of competiotion etc.

The biggest problem with most of our players is their inability to recover in time. I do not know enough about how Hearts carry out lactate removal at the end of training or a match or how the training is geared up after a heavy match! It may well be that they are being pushed too hard and unable to recover fully through no fault of their own, it may also be that the players are being allowed to be lazy when it comes to training and recovery.

I find it hard to blame ALL the players when they are ALL underperforming at the same stage. Look how Rangers have dived since Naismith was injured, yes individual players can make a significant difference. Celtic are on song because their front pair are scoring for fun, it allows the midfielders to be creative. Our striker has no support and invariably we lose the ball and it comes straight back. We picked up when John Sutton came on and started supporting the striker and its no coincidence that we are struggling since he went. The last few games before he went his contribution was huge.

Anyway, enough of my rant!

I'm not sure it's as straightforward as a simple comparison between distance covered with recovery time. If it was footballers would simply be athletes. It's also about being able to pass as accurately as you did, beat your man as well as you did, read the game as sharply as you did, anticipate the pass as well as you did, using your footballing skills at the end of the match as well as you did at the start of the match. Add into that the pre match adrenaline high that provides an edge in games, week after week, then add in 5 games in 13 days throw in some extra time, we still expect them to produce form as good as if they were fresh.

And that's before any account of knocks, kicks, strains - we're talking about Scottish football after all - which won't necessarily recover in two to three days.

It's no wonder Paulo wants a fresh team - when it comes to another important game away from home against the team immediately above you in the league, a fully fit, fully energised team would not have been guaranteed to win.

Some people talk some utter shite at times. What has a tennis match got to do with whether 5 games in 13 days would have an effect on a football player?

It becomes abundantly clear after any poor or disappointing result that there is a large percentage of posters on here who have not got the slightest clue about football, or about playing sports generally.

true, if we are to align the fitness levels people are saying this or that sport has(and it seems footballers aren`t that fit acc to some) then maybe we are being hard on Hearts players for being tired then?

But given Andy Murray's penchant for injuries could he play tennis for 5 hours, if Rafael Nadal nailed him with a crunching tackle 5 minutes into the first set?

Or perhaps they could plough up the centre court at Wimbledon to resemble an SPL pitch in mid-winter?

Here was me thinking that the link up with the uni was to get our players using the best sports science in Scotland and improve fitness?

If so it ain't working judging by our injury record and tired players.

Can anyone confirm if our players are still leaving after a couple of hours training or if they actually spend a full day using the facilities like players are made to do down south?

Maybe if they are of the opinion that 5 games in 13 days is too much, it might have made sense to see off St Johnstone at Tynecastle rather than needing another 120 minutes to do so.

The St Johnstone replay is the only game that we didn't 'know about' well in advance. And it was a fixture that we brought about due to our own shortcomings. If we knew we had a tough run of games coming up, then surely that shoulda been even more of an incentive to dispose of St Johnstone the first time of asking.....

The too many games in a short period of time argument doesnt sit well with me at all. 8 hours work over a period of two weeks. Awwww the poor wee souls.

tired im tired off his away tactics, also tired of watching hamill/grainger/driver/mcdonald/elliot

8 goals in 14 league games tells a story, Dunfemline have scored 13 in 13 games and they really are shite.

Archived