Travelling for a year

scottish_chicP

scottish_chicP

As I have mentioned I am planning on heading out to Oz at the end of October for at least a year and have been saving and paying my credit cards off. I think by the time I go however I will still have one credit card with a balance on it. What's the easiest option with this? I.e. is it easy enough to make international transfers? Any help would be great because I haven't got a clue thumbsup.gif

As I have mentioned I am planning on heading out to Oz at the end of October for at least a year and have been saving and paying my credit cards off. I think by the time I go however I will still have one credit card with a balance on it. What's the easiest option with this? I.e. is it easy enough to make international transfers? Any help would be great because I haven't got a clue thumbsup.gif

How do you pay it at the moment? Pretty good chance it will make hee-haw difference where you are in the world, assuming it ultimately gets paid from a UK bank account.

Transferring cash from a foreign account to a UK account is pretty easy, but likely will involve fees and possibly a shite exchange rate.

scottish_chicP

How do you pay it at the moment? Pretty good chance it will make hee-haw difference where you are in the world, assuming it ultimately gets paid from a UK bank account.

Transferring cash from a foreign account to a UK account is pretty easy, but likely will involve fees and possibly a shite exchange rate.

It's direct debit so that's fine if I can transfer. Will leave enough in my account for the first couple of months. Thanks smile.gif

It's direct debit so that's fine if I can transfer. Will leave enough in my account for the first couple of months. Thanks smile.gif

Can you pay it via Online Banking?

scottish_chicP

Can you pay it via Online Banking?

Yeah I have that set up but when being paid over there it will need to be an Aussie bank account so I would need to transfer it to my UK one anyway!

Yeah I have that set up but when being paid over there it will need to be an Aussie bank account so I would need to transfer it to my UK one anyway!

Gotcha!

It might be useful asking your current UK bank who their correspondent Bank is in Australia, they may even give you a letter of introduction which could help opening up a new bank account over there. Not sure if it will make transferring any quicker/cheaper/easier but it's worth asking.

scottish_chicP

Gotcha!

It might be useful asking your current UK bank who their correspondent Bank is in Australia, they may even give you a letter of introduction which could help opening up a new bank account over there. Not sure if it will make transferring any quicker/cheaper/easier but it's worth asking.

I never thought of that! Thanks thumbsup.gif

Get as much tick as you can, then go bankrupt, you can live like a Royal in Ozz without any real consequences :woot:

scottish_chicP

Get as much tick as you can, then go bankrupt, you can live like a Royal in Ozz without any real consequences :woot:

laugh.gif yeah I've heard that!

Notorious BIG

Sorry to kinda steal the thread but, i have a mate who is heading out there in 2 weeks for a year, now he is taking 300 pound with him, has digs sorted through his cousin but is planning on getting a job when over there, ive tried explaining that its not that easy and that you need a few bob to get into oz, is this true or am i tripping? cheers

scottish_chicP

Sorry to kinda steal the thread but, i have a mate who is heading out there in 2 weeks for a year, now he is taking 300 pound with him, has digs sorted through his cousin but is planning on getting a job when over there, ive tried explaining that its not that easy and that you need a few bob to get into oz, is this true or am i tripping? cheers

?300 will not go very far over there! If he doesn't get a job right away could be dodgy. I plan on having at the very least ?2,000 in the account before ago (also have digs with family).

Guest C00l K1d

:lol: :lol:

Is that all he's taking? He better hope he gets a job quickly that'll last him about 2/3 weeks top! I took more money to amsterdam for 3 days worth :lol:

He literally may not be allowed in the country with that little cash, depending on how he is entering the country (eg if on a working visa).

Guest C00l K1d

He literally may not be allowed in the country with that little cash, depending on how he is entering the country (eg if on a working visa).

Q: What are the financial requirements of the Working Holiday Visa?

A: You need to have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday in Australia at least, and you may be asked to show evidence of this on arrival to satisfy immigration officials.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship regard a sufficient amount as being a minimum of AUD$5,000, although the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and how much travelling you intend to do. You should also have a return or onward ticket or at least the funds for a fare to depart Australia if travelling on a one way ticket.

Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

Looks like he's got a couple weeks to make some money :lol: :lol:

I've got a pal who is leaving to go to oz in oct for a year too, she asked me to go with her but I don't think I could save enough for the flight never mind a year across there also ! Would love to be able to go

Melbourne Jambo

Try PayPal - you can set up an Aussie account and a UK account. Put money in your Aus PayPal account from you aus bank account - transfer to uk PayPal- withdraw from uk PayPal to uk bank account. I did this the opposite way around when I was living in the UK, avoids the bank fees or having to use someone like western union.

scottish_chicP

I also don't think it is $5,000 anymore due to the exchange rate. I have been quoted ?2,000 and ?2,500. So much to try and organise mellow.gif

Doctor FinnBarr

I had a mate who done that without going bankrupt, loans off the RB, Clydesdale and the Provvy before going.

:thumbsup:

Q: What are the financial requirements of the Working Holiday Visa?

A: You need to have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday in Australia at least, and you may be asked to show evidence of this on arrival to satisfy immigration officials.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship regard a sufficient amount as being a minimum of AUD$5,000, although the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and how much travelling you intend to do. You should also have a return or onward ticket or at least the funds for a fare to depart Australia if travelling on a one way ticket.

Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

....and no point giving some bullshit story to the Immigration officer at the airport - theyve heard them all before.

Myself and several friends have been over in the last 10 years for working visa's and not once has anyone been asked to display proof of your funds.

When I went for a year 6 years ago we had to show bank statements to show that we had at least ?2K or we weren't getting in but we were on a visitor visa and weren't allowed to work.

I think the rules may be different for you.

ps. Spent over ?20K while there so ?300 won't go far. blink.gif

Sydney from Sydney

300 quid won't last the weekend mate and only get him about $450 if he's lucky. There's even the possibility they'll send him home on the same plane because of insufficient funds. Does he have a work visa ?

He will be very lucky to get into the country with that amount of money if he has no job lined up . Ive not long came back from new zealand and the way there borders work are quite similar . When i entered they asked for proof of money, how your going to support yourself, accommodation plans and how i was able to afford the trip in the first place. The amount i had to have was 2k NZ dollars either on me or in a bank account

When I went for a year 6 years ago we had to show bank statements to show that we had at least ?2K or we weren't getting in but we were on a visitor visa and weren't allowed to work.

I think the rules may be different for you.

ps. Spent over ?20K while there so ?300 won't go far. blink.gif

My daughter and boyfriend went across in September for a year. They had to show a bank balance of ?3000.

Once there work has not been a problem. She has been in Sydney, Melbourne and is now working on Hayman Island in the north.

scottish_chicP

No I only get 22 kilos with Singapore airline and I have way too many clothes :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol:

Is that all he's taking? He better hope he gets a job quickly that'll last him about 2/3 weeks top! I took more money to amsterdam for 3 days worth :lol:

It won't last a week with the cos of living over there if he goes out.

I think you might be getting confused with with Aussies coming into this country, not the other way around. tongue.gif

And can I just add in a grumpy kind of way going to one country doesn't really constitute "travelling" does it?

When people used to say they were going travelling for a year they generally came back with a few exotic passport stamps to show off.

And can I just add in a grumpy kind of way going to one country doesn't really constitute "travelling" does it?

When people used to say they were going travelling for a year they generally came back with a few exotic passport stamps to show off.

:lol:

Having a bad day. Taz?!

Aye cos Australia's no very big eh? whistling.gif

Capture-4.png

27,000 kms we "travelled" I think that counts as travelling anyway. unsure.gif

scottish_chicP

More of a "trip" around Australia I'd say. Chuck New Zealand into the mix and then I'll maybe be more understanding. :whistling:

I'm sure I'll manage a wee break in New Zealand as well grumpy pants! :thumbsup:

More of a "trip" around Australia I'd say. Chuck New Zealand into the mix and then I'll maybe be more understanding. :whistling:

We couldn't chuck in a wee trip to New Zealand, our visa was "single entry" (ooerr mrs) so we wouldn't have been able to go back to Oz. sweat.gif

Could have done it at the end of the year I suppose but money was getting tight.

Did have a week in HK and finish of with 10 days in LA and NY though. thumbsup.gif

You can set up an Oz bank account before you leave, that's what I did. And I transfer funds between my UK and AU accounts via internet banking. Everything is a piece of piss if you bank online.

I'd recommend Commbank Australia for setting up an account here.

I had the funds but never got asked for proof.

I can confirm you will need alot of cash though. This is one of the most expensive places you will ever visit. Drinks in bars here will cost you between $10-15 (for one drink)

My advice would be to enjoy a bit of a holiday and then look for work, i think bar jobs etc will pay around $20 per hour which might help you sustain yourself.

But the main thing is get yourself over here and you'll absolutely love it!

scottish_chicP

I am my cousin's maid of honour do plan on having 3-4 weeks holiday.first. I know how expesnive it is as I was there on holiday last Christmas! Hoping to do temp office work but if not bar work is fine.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

My daughter and boyfriend went across in September for a year. They had to show a bank balance of ?3000.

Once there work has not been a problem. She has been in Sydney, Melbourne and is now working on Hayman Island in the north.

For a guy who's boyfriend ran off with your daughter to Australia you seem remarkably calm.

Well done you :)

You can set up an Oz bank account before you leave, that's what I did. And I transfer funds between my UK and AU accounts via internet banking. Everything is a piece of piss if you bank online.

I'd recommend Commbank Australia for setting up an account here.

I had the funds but never got asked for proof.

I can confirm you will need alot of cash though. This is one of the most expensive places you will ever visit. Drinks in bars here will cost you between $10-15 (for one drink)

My advice would be to enjoy a bit of a holiday and then look for work, i think bar jobs etc will pay around $20 per hour which might help you sustain yourself.

But the main thing is get yourself over here and you'll absolutely love it!

:what:

Prices have tripled since I was there then!

For a guy who's boyfriend ran off with your daughter to Australia you seem remarkably calm.

I never liked him anyway!!!

Nice one hehehehe

. This is one of the most expensive places you will ever visit. Drinks in bars here will cost you between $10-15 (for one drink)

If by "bar" you mean "pub", that's a lad of craig whyte! If I drink Australian beer, which I usually have to do in a pub, given the lack of draught Asahi or Kirin, I drink SA's Cooper's Pale Ale on tap, itself regarded as "boutique" (but so popular it will soon lose that label). I pay between $5 and 5.30 a schooner (425ml).

Horsepiss beers like VB, and Tooheys are cheaper. Clubs are also cheaper, subsidised by effing gambling machines and tax concessions.

If by "bar" you mean some trendy winkywankywoo place in the city, tough titty.

Geoff Kilpatrick

:what:

Prices have tripled since I was there then!

Mainly because the ? devalued.

An Aussie $ when I came out here 4 years ago was worth roughly 40p. Now it's worth 68p!

Thank the Bank of England for that lovely quantitative easing! :laugh:

Archived