What up and coming technology are you excited about?

jamboinglasgow

Ok I will try to get the ball rolling, I quite excited at the possibilities of what technology that helped create Kinnect can do, the idea that it could be soon that we can control interfaces like in Minority Report but without the gloves. I think it would look odd at first controlling your computer with hand gestures (I would shudder what the up and down fist movement would make the computer do) but it seems right way to control a computer (I may be wrong.)

I spoke to the guys that developed that system, it was actually a realworld product utilising an array of infrared depth sensing cameras to capture the users movement in a "hotspot" allowing the control you saw in the movie. The gloves were reflection pads on the operators fingers, this allowed the cameras to pick things up more clearly. Full system only ?300k at the time, but it did **** all as the movie boys souped it up somewhat post-production.

The Primesense system developed for Microsoft's Kinect is far more cost effective and they are working with Asus to bring a lower tech, and hence cheaper, version out for the desktop...Microsoft are now too though, so as long as it hits the market faster than Surface and crucially you can actually do things with it, should be an excellent innovation that could finally topple the keyboard / mouse input method of Windows8 is all they say it will be.

Oh and Glasgow Uni boffins are working on an input method for mobile devices involving head movement and winking...you might look a bit odd but will save you whacking at buttons all day long.

For me its all about alpha wave interfaces. Just think. It does.

Archived