Pubs closing down

Doctor FinnBarr

Doctor FinnBarr

I,ve just mentioned the Crook Inn closing down on another thread and got to thinking about other pubs that have closed. Mostly out of the way country pubs that the drink driving laws did no favours to, and cheap supermarket beer.

The Auchengrey Inn, The Lazy Y at Tarbrax just to name a couple, what other out of the way shops have gone forever?

:boak:

heartgarfunkel
I,ve just mentioned the Crook Inn closing down on another thread and got to thinking about other pubs that have closed. Mostly out of the way country pubs that the drink driving laws did no favours to, and cheap supermarket beer.

The Auchengrey Inn, The Lazy Y at Tarbrax just to name a couple, what other out of the way shops have gone forever?

There used to be a great, ancient boozer called Habbie's Howe on the road to Biggar. Was there in 1992 and soon after some ****bag closed it and turned it into flats. Another one was the Dugg Inn on the A7 just past Middleton - the current owners have turned it into a Dingle looking hovel with luminous plastic all over the shop to try and convince motorists there are traffic cops standing outside it!:confused:

Can anyone remember the name of the pub that used to be along Fountainbridge close to (or on the former site of) Fingertips massage parlour ?

That was where I had my first ever pint when I was 14 years old.

The place was dying on its arse and was run by two young women. When me and my mate went in and asked for two pints they would only serve us if we promised to sit in the corner round the other side of the bar so nobody would see us.

Cairneyhill Jambo

The Unicorn in Linlithgow.

Good Jambo pub, total howff, but you always ended up their at the end of the night.

• 9 years later...
2 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Noticed today that the Gunner has almost been completely demolished!

How did you notice the difference?

18 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Noticed today that the Gunner has almost been completely demolished!

That's an improvement.

On 12/04/2008 at 15:17, Le Chat said:

Can anyone remember the name of the pub that used to be along Fountainbridge close to (or on the former site of) Fingertips massage parlour ?

That was where I had my first ever pint when I was 14 years old.

The place was dying on its arse and was run by two young women. When me and my mate went in and asked for two pints they would only serve us if we promised to sit in the corner round the other side of the bar so nobody would see us.

There's been some howling pubs in Fountainbridge over the years.

There was The Struan opposite Semple Street.  Further West there was a decent one on the corner of Ponton Street.   Can't place the name.   The one by the old bingo hall was the Old Port Tavern.    I don't recall one between there and the old Dundee Arms but there may have been.   

27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There was The Struan opposite Semple Street.  Further West there was a decent one on the corner of Ponton Street.   Can't place the name.   The one by the old bingo hall was the Old Port Tavern.    I don't recall one between there and the old Dundee Arms but there may have been.   

It was called Toddy's.  Someone else remembered on another thread a few years back.

2 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

It was called Toddy's.  Someone else remembered on another thread a few years back.

Ah.  Don't remember it.  Probably just as well.

29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There was a über opposite Grove Street. I'm sure it was the original Fountain. It was an S&N pub and like the Dundee Arms was filled by brewery workers. Regulars barred from one used the other. 

I remember being in the Dundee Arms one day when the manager announced in a loud voice.

"I understand the occasional glass going missing, but can I have my table back please."

The language was slightly more colourful.

The one on the corner of Ponton Street was the Market Bar, Yesterdays. Black Pig and Major Browns

The one almost opposite Grove St was originally Foye's, then the Fountain and finally Todds as confirmed by Ginga on another thread

The one on the west side of the Palais was the Port Hamilton

The Clacjhan wasn't that bad back in the late 60s when out used ti be frequented by the bus crews from the depot in Semple St

Punks No Deid
On 4/12/2008 at 14:47, bikerjambo said:

Breich Inn 

I remember being in The Auchengrey Inn and we asked the guy who ran it what time they closed, his answer was "whenever everyone is finished drinking" - happy days

Worse than pubs closing, is pubs turning into some theme bar. Foresters in Porty and Andersons in Tollcross being examples.

Few in Leith too, and also Jock's Lodge, but no one drank there surely? ?

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Worse than pubs closing, is pubs turning into some theme bar. Foresters in Porty and Andersons in Tollcross being examples.

Worked down Jocks Lodge way for about six months and occasionally used the pub. Mainly went into the snooker club next door though.

14 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Worked down Jocks Lodge way for about six months and occasionally used the pub. Mainly went into the snooker club next door though.

It was one of these pubs, like The Grapes (1/4 Gill) where I want to have a pint in, just for the fun of it.

Often wonder if these places are really as bad as made out.

What were the pubs in Niddrie that both shut down in recent years? One on Mains Road which made way for Tesco, the other down Duddy way which made way for the new Farmfoods.

42 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Meant to add that the Crown and Cushion was a bit of a dump as well!

Punks No Deid
33 minutes ago, Locky said:

It was one of these pubs, like The Grapes (1/4 Gill) where I want to have a pint in, just for the fun of it.

What were the pubs in Niddrie that both shut down in recent years? One on Mains Road which made way for Tesco, the other down Duddy way which made way for the new Farmfoods.

Duddingston Mull, (believe it was also previously called Marischal Arms and Cleekim as well). Was an ok boozer altho a bit cliquey

1 hour ago, Locky said:

1/4 gill looked horrible but served a good beer.  funny staff as well 

9 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

I've been informed it's only £2.50 a pint, but it's rough as ****. My old man stays round the corner, I'll go one day.

Whereabouts is the 1/4 gill?

The Whitehouse and cleekim .

I think .

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

Whereabouts is the 1/4 gill?

Just along from The Queens Hall. Same side of the road. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 hours ago, Locky said:

I've been informed it's only £2.50 a pint, but it's rough as ****. My old man stays round the corner, I'll go one day.

My neighbour swears by it. I think people say it's worse than it is. Just seems to be a few aged alchies in whenever I've gone passed. 

3 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The Quarter Gill is just one of the former names of The Grapes

Last time I was in the Grapes was mid 70s. I assume it han’t improved. ?

All roads lead to Gorgie

You can pass a few bars outwith the city centre from a Monday to a Thursday now and the only people in them seem to be staff. A lot seem to be trying theme nights on weekdays but that seems a desperate measure sometimes. I can only assume the weekend takings are keeping them afloat or they are chains where the busier ones keep the quieter ones going. Sad to say it but I think we will see less and less locals in the years to come.

16 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You can pass a few bars outwith the city centre from a Monday to a Thursday now and the only people in them seem to be staff. A lot seem to be trying theme nights on weekdays but that seems a desperate measure sometimes. I can only assume the weekend takings are keeping them afloat or they are chains where the busier ones keep the quieter ones going. Sad to say it but I think we will see less and less locals in the years to come.

I’m afraid so. 

13 hours ago, jake said:

Southside

5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Just along from The Queens Hall. Same side of the road. 

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

with the grey goose and the crosskeyes shutting, its a long way down Lanark road to find another pub in the vicinity, to be fair the bus service is so good now local pubs are becoming obsolete, so easy to get into town now where theres a better range of pub and nae falling out with the neighboors on the way hame for beating them at dominoes

On 04/12/2017 at 18:03, Victorian said:

There was in a pub 70s just there..in front of the brewery shop.

On 05/12/2017 at 08:16, Stuart Lyon said:

The one on the corner of Ponton Street was the Market Bar, Yesterdays. Black Pig and Major Browns

The one almost opposite Grove St was originally Foye's, then the Fountain and finally Todds as confirmed by Ginga on another thread

The one on the west side of the Palais was the Port Hamilton

The Clacjhan wasn't that bad back in the late 60s when out used ti be frequented by the bus crews from the depot in Semple St

Worked next door to the market bar, early 80s.... Dated a stunning girl who worked Market bar......stunning.

On 05/12/2017 at 10:58, Locky said:

Anderson's....what a let down.

On 06/12/2017 at 11:25, davemclaren said:

Last time I was in the Grapes was mid 70s. I assume it han’t improved. ?

Gone down market.......

The Ritz out at the gyle closes its doors for good at the end of December. Massive blow to us workers out there that like a cheeky wee lunchtime pint or two.

On 06/12/2017 at 12:50, reaths17 said:

with the grey goose and the crosskeyes shutting, its a long way down Lanark road to find another pub in the vicinity, to be fair the bus service is so good now local pubs are becoming obsolete, so easy to get into town now where theres a better range of pub and nae falling out with the neighboors on the way hame for beating them at dominoes

Do you not fancy the Village Inn?

I've been in the 1/4 Gill a few times, although not for years. It was a favoured hangout of Liberton High School pupils as well as the old alchies. 

On 12/9/2017 at 10:13, JWL said:

The Ritz out at the gyle closes its doors for good at the end of December. Massive blow to us workers out there that like a cheeky wee lunchtime pint or two.

Is there not a new pub / restaurant opening up on south gyle Broadway?

4 hours ago, Nightwing said:

Is there not a new pub / restaurant opening up on south gyle Broadway?

Its been open a couple of months forgets its name though.

8 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Sitting Room/Centre Court no more!

IMG_0047.jpg

Used to drink in the Centre Court in my student days. ?

Shanks said no
37 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Its been open a couple of months forgets its name though.

Westgate Farm, not been in as I have been driving when passing.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Westgate Farm, not been in as I have been driving when passing.

Been told it's shite. Gonna miss The Ritz, knew all the staff and they were great to us. Great place for a few pints and a game of pool at lunchtime.

Archived