Downloading Albums

jambogaza

davemclaren
I find legally paying for your music downloading more rewarding and oh yes ... legal. Its a novel concept.

So what's the best legal site then? :)

I use warez-bb.org you have to pay 4 quid a month to use rapidshare but theres a wealth of music n movies on there, I regularly get 700-800 KB/S so you can get an album in under 5 mins

davemclaren
There are hundreds, for example:

itunes

Tesco

etc etc etc.

Do they all charge the same or are some cheaper than others?

davemclaren
If you are downloading a full album, do you not think you should pay for it?

Personally I think you should, but tell that to my kids. :confused:

davemclaren
Why, if I can get it for free.

Do you say that about your groceries or is it just because the chances of getting caught are less for music that makes it so attractive? :)

Do the artists not deserve to be compensated for making the music?

And then the record company profits plummet, they invest less in new artists and the whole system crumbles. I'm not saying for a second that record companies are saints but a process is in place.

Do the artists not deserver to be compensated for making the music?

Yes, and they do with the majority of the revenue coming from touring.

In 5-10 years I think the majority of music will be free, like what radiohead done.

Even without downloading the music, I could just go on youtube and listen to it foc

Apart from the very biggest acts bands all take a financial hit on touring, it is basically marketing expenditure.

In 5-10 years I think the majority of music will be free, like what radiohead done.

Even without downloading the music, I could just go on youtube and listen to it foc

I disagree that the majority of music will be free.

I also think that after artists taking the time and creativity to write and record and album, it should be paid for.

And then the record company profits plummet, they invest less in new artists and the whole system crumbles. I'm not saying for a second that record companies are saints but a process is in place.

I get where you are coming from yes, but I cant really envisage the role of record companys say 5 years down the line, with sites like myspace and youtube any budding musician can reach wide audiances without the need of a record company, if this band then takes off then they will obviously tour, then the people who fallow them on the internet go to their gigs and pay good money to do so, thats where i see the majority of musicians profit coming from.

davemclaren
I disagree that the majority of music will be free.

I also think that after artists taking the time and creativity to write and record and album, it should be paid for.

The problem is that a whole generation now expect free music. My kids never buy CDs or anything now.

To be fair, the price of CDs a while back was ridiculous so, in a senses the record companies have brought it on themselves.

davemclaren
I get where you are coming from yes, but I cant really envisage the role of record companys say 5 years down the line, with sites like myspace and youtube any budding musician can reach wide audiances without the need of a record company, if this band then takes off then they will obviously tour, then the people who fallow them on the internet go to their gigs and pay good money to do so, thats where i see the majority of musicians profit coming from.

You could have a point, The internet certainly changes the whole dynamic of the business.

So who would pay for the marketing, the equipment, the airfares, the hotels, the food, the drink etc etc.

If left to an individual band (the average band) would struggle to tour the UK let alone Europe ........ and the rest of the World.

However you keep justifying your illegal downloads.

I've had my suspicions;)

But the "new" avatar and something you said on the McCanns thread made me pretty sure.

Better call Saul

For YEARS the record companys have been ripping us off ?12 ish for a cd when it would cost ?1 to produce :evilno:

If they were better priced from day 1 we would not have as much a download frenzy.

davemclaren
I've had my suspicions;)

But the "new" avatar and something you said on the McCanns thread made me pretty sure.

Such is life. ;)

I tend to buy CDs or the bands I know and like, or really fancy.

If I'm intrigued or wanting to have a wee listen then I download it.

I much prefer having the real thing.

Dont worry Dave, I'm sure the kids know that downloading is wrong, immoral and illegal.

Simple. I blame the parents.

davemclaren
Dont worry Dave, I'm sure the kids know that downloading is wrong, immoral and illegal.

I've certainly told them that and I'm sure they'll listen and take heed. :rolleyes:

I've certainly told them that and I'm sure they'll listen and take heed. :rolleyes:

As my dad has with me.

I listened anyway.

I don't steal a lot of music these days and if I like an album I will buy it, bought Goldfrapp last week after downloading it and Radiohead when it came out because I have all their other albums and I needed the nice case of my shelf, but I agree that CDs have always been and continue to be a rip off.

I bought my first CD in about '88, it was ?13, when an LP would have cost ?6, I have paid over ?15 for many CDs, non chart CDs in the likes of HMV before the internet were often priced at ?15.99 and I spent a lot of money buying CDs of albums that I'd bought on vinyl or tape years before. I have no problem downloading an album that I bought 20 years ago, I bought my analogue copy, I have it in a cardboard box in the garage or attic (probably), I should be able to get a digital copy for my MP3 player without paying for the same music twice.

Lets be honest, record companies aren't in it to promote new bands, bands who have to pay for all their recording time, touring expenses etc out of their album sales, money loaned to bands at the start to get the music out there, paid back to fat greedy record executives, who spend it on gak.

Yeah I've every sympathy for them.

Simon Cowell's right on his uppers, Richard Branson's down to his last few islands. Money from record sales? It's a mugs game right enough.

I don't steal a lot of music these days and if I like an album I will buy it, bought Goldfrapp last week after downloading it and Radiohead when it came out because I have all their other albums and I needed the nice case of my shelf, but I agree that CDs have always been and continue to be a rip off.

I bought my first CD in about '88, it was ?13, when an LP would have cost ?6, I have paid over ?15 for many CDs, non chart CDs in the likes of HMV before the internet were often priced at ?15.99 and I spent a lot of money buying CDs of albums that I'd bought on vinyl or tape years before. I have no problem downloading an album that I bought 20 years ago, I bought my analogue copy, I have it in a cardboard box in the garage or attic (probably), I should be able to get a digital copy for my MP3 player without paying for the same music twice.

Lets be honest, record companies aren't in it to promote new bands, bands who have to pay for all their recording time, touring expenses etc out of their album sales, money loaned to bands at the start to get the music out there, paid back to fat greedy record executives, who spend it on gak.

Simon Cowell's right on his uppers, Richard Branson's down to his last few islands. Money from record sales? It's a mugs game right enough.

I guess it depends on the type of music you buy.

The stuff i buy is motly from tiny, independent labels that really to live on a release to release basis. If one release fails badly, it's game over. I'd much rather buy the vinyl than download a lesser quality ripped MP3 and support the label and the artist.

Thou shalt not steal?

It's true what they say. Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.

:mw_tease:

Thou shalt not steal?

Well done, you can quote the bible at me!

I am found out, I am a hypocrite, I also look at pictures of pretty ladies (though shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife), get angry at people like you (thou shalt not kill) and the big one, I put myself first, I please myself in a thoughtless and selfish way on a daily basis (though shalt have no other Gods before me).

Where can I possibly find forgiveness?

Where can I go to unload this burden of guilt?

Where can I find redemption?

Oh, that's right, the cross. If I didn't do stuff wrong I wouldn't be a Christian now would I?

I did say "I don't steal a lot of music these days", implying that I am working on becoming a better person, I don't need you to pull me up, I have God's Holy Spirit doing a stand up job of convicting me, so back off!

It's true what they say. Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.

:mw_tease:

Don't you start!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am found out, I am a hypocrite, I also look at pictures of pretty ladies (though shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife), get angry at people like you (thou shalt not kill) and the big one, I put myself first, I please myself in a thoughtless and selfish way on a daily basis (though shalt have no other Gods before me).

Oh, that's right, the cross. If I didn't do stuff wrong I wouldn't be a Christian now would I?

I did say "I don't steal a lot of music these days", implying that I am working on becoming a better person, I don't need you to pull me up, I have God's Holy Spirit doing a stand up job of convicting me, so back off!

Oops clearly I hit a raw nerve!

Keep picking and choosing the parts you want to believe. ;)

Even god might believe you?????????? :eek::P

P.S - At least now you know you are doing wrong ... so no more illegal downloading. ;)

Oops clearly Ihit a raw nerve!

What does that mean?

Your self-righteousness is too much for me, you must be some guy.

Oops clearly I hit a raw nerve!

P.S - At least now you know you are doing wrong ... so no more illegal downloading. ;)

A bit harsh on the doc.

His beliefs are his beliefs, and whether we find them laughable or ridiculous, he is passionate about them.

From what he says he does the guy is a good guy, and a decent human being. All that really matters IMO.

I coveted thy neighbours ass last week. :sad:

She's really fit. Am I going to hell? :sad:

davemclaren

As far as I'm aware, downloading some music illegally isn't one of the 7 deadly sins...yet, though EMI might like it to be. :)

What does that mean?

Your self-righteousness is too much for me, you must be some guy.

I am not religious so my self righteousness does not come near to yours.

I follow the rules of the law (if they change, I will follow accordingly) rather than a book you follow.

Archived