Time to Stop

dallan

Sorry but I'm finding these recent negative campaigns against our own player extremely distasteful. Calum Elliot and Robbie Neilson are Hearts players and represent our club and deserve the respect that brings.

Over the years there are many players that I/we have thought are not good enough to wear the jersey but this victimisation in my opinion has reached new depths. Furthermore, it tarnishes the image of the club.

Charlie-Brown

Mole, Mikoliunas, Zaliukas & others also have their haters & boo-boys both real & virtual.

MacDonald Jardine

I remember similar sentiments about Walter Kidd at the time of his testimonial but he's now almost universally considered a legend.

The fact is it is, and always was, unlikely that a player with real quality would stay at Hearts for 10 years. So most of the testimonials will be for players in the "maybe not quite good enough" category.

Gary McKay is the one exception I can think of and I'm not aware off hand that he had many offers to move (I'm discounting Robbo given his move to Newcastle.)

As for Elliot, I don't ever remember a young player, who I don't think you could criticise for lack of effort, receiving the abuse he gets on here.

Not good enough he might be but he doesn't deserve that.

Only a Game

Over the years there are many players that I/we have thought are not good enough to wear the jersey but this victimisation in my opinion has reached new depths. Furthermore, it tarnishes the image of the club.

And over the years when we had players who werent good enough, did they get the same treatment or were they supported through thick and thin ?

Is it just me or is there some kind of myth here that until the last couple of years Hearts fans have been the epitomy of how to support a team. In 35 years I cant ever remember a time where a poor performance, either by the team or by an individual player wasnt met with derision and criticism and abuse.

Add in the length of time that both the players you highlight have been in the first team whilst not good enough to be there and youve got the reason why they get abused and vilified. Its human nature and it happens at every club.

Archived