If Scotland becomes independent

Matthew Le Tissier

Matthew Le Tissier

Right am going to sound very thick here , but if Scotland does get the indepence what does it actully mean for everyone. Will I have to use a passport to get dwn south? Will we still be in the UK?

As I said I may sound thick ,but really dnt have a clue what it all means

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No you won't need a passport to go down south. It would be far to difficult to patrole something like that.

Therefore I would think they will come to some sort of agreement between each other.

Right am going to sound very thick here , but if Scotland does get the indepence what does it actully mean for everyone. Will I have to use a passport to get dwn south? Will we still be in the UK?

Think of it like this - do Europeans need a passport to go through other countries in Europe - no. We will be exactly the same. However we would have full control over our country. Unlike what you see now with the Tories (who have how many MPs in Scotland?) trying to pull our strings.

The union was useful 300 years ago. It's had it's time. Now it's time to flourish.

wont get independence just everything else that comes with it, how we going to implement the army & navy, airforce ect? full devolution on everything dont know how its going to work, were only wanting independence because we have oil & untapped renewable's like wind & ocean waves. we could work, but euro or pound??

too many unanswered questions & a lot of fliff faff from both side of the border

It would mean that the folk that moan about "being ruled by the English" will moan about being ruled by Brussels instead.

It would also mean all the "traditionalists" would be :seething: fortunately they are in the minority these days in Scotland :verysmug:

the UK is a political entity comprising Scotland, England, wales, norn Ireland and various bits and bobs. Scotland wants to leave this partnership.

there are lots of things that are still up in the air but its almost inconceivable you'd need a passport to enter England.

Political giants such as Alex Salmond, Nicola Sturgeon and the one with glasses will stride across the world stage to an awed hush from the rest of the free world.

Scotland will continue on its stratospheric rise to world domination and the famously healthy, mobile and highly educated population will enjoy lifestyles the envy of all others.

I drove from Paris to Ternuzen in the Netherlands and never used my passport once. I did drive through some old border crossings though but there was no one there. I'd assume the same thing here.

The country we live in is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

The United Kingdom bit is 2 Kingdoms - that of Scotland and England (represented on the Royal

crest by The Unicorn and The Lion) Wales is a principality (of England) and Northern Ireland is

is a partitioned province.

Once Scotland becomes independent the remaining parts would no longer be a United Kingdom but

would be The Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland (or something like that)

It's all a bit irrelevant as I live in the DQ and not the UK (Dissunited Queendom).

And you would no more need passport or other paraphanalia than those travelling from the Irish

Republic to the North do.

Are there any Scottish folk here anyway? Take a walk along Princes Street and listen to how many Scottish folk you hear. Or Asda / Tesco when you next do the weekly shop.

Technically the Treaty of Union of 1707 was broken with the devolution settlement. So the political union is legally shoogly just now. The union of the kingdoms remains intact and won't be altered by independence. Scotland retains its status in the EU, and probably, since we believe in democracy, will have referenda on our continuing membership along with ones on the currency and the Commonwealth. Wales and England would still be united kingdoms so all that changes is "The U.K." to "A U.K.".

It's a win-win situation for all, if you believe all sides of the arguements.

The Real Maroonblood

One good thing is that Rangers will move to England and Celtic will move to Eire which is a bonus.

One good thing is that Rangers will move to England and Celtic will move to Eire which is a bonus.

That would get my vote.

What it means is that your Taxes will go up loads,

all the big companies will move their offices south of the border and we, as a county will be fecked.

As for the oil.. companies such as BP, Shell etc.. have already paid the UK for the right to take oil out of the ground. They paid billions for drilling rights in certain sectors in the north sea.

They pay a tax on their profits as well.

I have no idea what the SNP are meaning by oil money as we would not have that, it would still belong to shell/BP ect as they have already paid for it.

----

Council tax will have to increase to pay for the postal system. at the moment a stamp costs the same.. Most of the people are located south of england and it is cheaper to get a letter from London to Birmingham than it is from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.. Based on cost per unit etc... The cost of sending something from Orkeny will force a rise in these prices.

It will also lead to road repairs / street lighting all costing more. Due to the population per square mile being a lot lower than that of the UK as a whole. Not to mention that we would have to raise our own army etc...

As you can tell I am not a fan of this and I think I might get out of scotland if it was to go independent. I think the taxes that will have to be raised on the big companies and richer individuals will also force them out of Scotland.

We can still be Scottish without having to have independence and as far as I am concerned the SNP is using peoples emotions as a vote winner (i.e. we hate the english etc etc..) rather than doing it for the good of the country.

Remember Salmond saying that Scotland could be like Iceland... well they are fecked now..

He also talks about being like Norway.. They pay 60% tax, and a pint costs ?10.... No Thank you... (PS Norway actually owns the companies that drill there NorskHydro and Statoil...)

Only an Idiot would vote for independence.

all the big companies will move their offices south of the border and we, as a county will be fecked.

As for the oil.. companies such as BP, Shell etc.. have already paid the UK for the right to take oil out of the ground. They paid billions for drilling rights in certain sectors in the north sea.

I have no idea what the SNP are meaning by oil money as we would not have that, it would still belong to shell/BP ect as they have already paid for it.

----

Council tax will have to increase to pay for the postal system. at the moment a stamp costs the same.. Most of the people are located south of england and it is cheaper to get a letter from London to Birmingham than it is from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.. Based on cost per unit etc... The cost of sending something from Orkeny will force a rise in these prices.

It will also lead to road repairs / street lighting all costing more. Due to the population per square mile being a lot lower than that of the UK as a whole. Not to mention that we would have to raise our own army etc...

As you can tell I am not a fan of this and I think I might get out of scotland if it was to go independent. I think the taxes that will have to be raised on the big companies and richer individuals will also force them out of Scotland.

We can still be Scottish without having to have independence and as far as I am concerned the SNP is using peoples emotions as a vote winner (i.e. we hate the english etc etc..) rather than doing it for the good of the country.

Remember Salmond saying that Scotland could be like Iceland... well they are fecked now..

He also talks about being like Norway.. They pay 60% tax, and a pint costs ?10.... No Thank you... (PS Norway actually owns the companies that drill there NorskHydro and Statoil...)

Are you really an Independent financial adviser? What a shame.

Norway also has the best standard of living on the planet and a 300trillion kroner oil fund for when the black stuff runs out.

WHY?

----

Will the royal mail stop functioning here? I don't think so, the Queen will still be head of state after all....

Would we? To fight for the British Army you only need to be a citizen of a member of one of the Commonwealth countries. Scotland will still be in the old Commonwealth. So potential soldiers could choose to fight for the British army or a new Scottish force. But that doesn't have to be massive and would not cost the earth.

I don't think you've thought it through very well. I think you just have alot of pre-conceived notions of doom which are completely unsubstantiated.

Wanting Independence has zero to do with "hating" anyone. It is wanting what's best for your country. Where you live. Independence will benefit everyone, of that I'm sure. As I mentioned in the other thread - If Scotland is a tax/subsidy junkie WHY exactly are the unionists so intent of keeping us as part of the UK? And if we're not a subsidy junkie and it turns out we can look after ourselves - why not be independent. Todays news about the Tories (who have 0 MSPs in Scotland) trying to tell us what to do only highlights the ridiculous nature of the UK. Think about it. England has mainly Tory MPs, Wales mainly Labor and Scotland SNP... hardly united is it?

This is true. During a global recession, GLOBAL, a few countries suffered more than others. Look at the USA - they were almost fecked too! Statistics show if Scotland was independent we would be the 5th richest country in Europe. Imagine how that could benefit us all. Better education, housing and shit loads of trams.

I'm unaware of how much Tax Norwegians pay, so I'll take your word for it here. I'm sure pay levels are in relation to their ?10 pints however. And if the only reason you wouldn't vote for independence is because of drink.... god help you (if he existed)

I put it to you that only an idiot WOULDN'T vote for independence.

Foxy.. It makes it very hard to answer your points when you type within the quote itself...

1. Why - Because if you have a choice of being taxed more for being north of the border it might make more sense to operate south of the border.

2. I don't know if the queen will be head of state or not.. I am not sure why it matters... but if we are an independent country why should we benefit from cost savings which primarily are achieved via population densities found in the south of England.

3. If we are our own country we would either have to have our own army or pay for the protection from the UK one. It would be very expensive. We are voting to leave the UK so why would the UK allow us to take the tanks and subs and planes that happen to be in Scotland at the moment. we would have to start from scratch.. -

4. If I was a higher rate taxpayer and under scottish independence my tax rate increases above what it would be south of the border.. I would move.

5. If the 'English Tories' are so desperate to keep us, then why are they the ones calling for the vote to be held as soon as possible? But it is the SNP who want to delay.

6. Which statistics show scotland would be the 5th richest.. I would love to see these. Please post them or a link to them. PS it doesn't count if they are made up by the SNP.

7. OK.. ?10 a pint is not my only concern....

?25 for a pizza in a pizza hut

a taxi ride of 10 miles can cost ?50

a car which is ?15k here costs ?25k there.

It is very very very expensive.

8. I think the biggest problem with the debate is that there really hasn't been one.. You have one set of people saying one thing and another set saying another and it is really up to us who to believe. However there is a lot of emotion involved.. I maybe stepped over the line saying about hating England and such.. But yes, a lot of the debates focus on 'loving' your own country. We are Hearts fans.. we love our team and know what it is like to support them with next to no chance of winning the league. We are honest about it. Surely we should be honest as Scottish people too.

I see the SNP want the vote to be extended to 16 year olds. I think this is because they know a lot of their support comes from the younger age group. The students and the sort of people that still think Communist and Proper left wind ideals can work. I maybe stepped another line saying only an idiot would vote for independence.. But a lot of idiots will because they vote with their feelings and hearts and the fact they love scotland.. Not based on what is best for the country.

PS - thanks for having a proper conversation on here rather than just slagging me off and calling me names (or questioning my job for example - :whistling: )

I am open to debate and if you can prove what I have said is rubbish, I will change my mind.

Thank Christ I am not alone in thinking that we are screwed if wee eck and his band of bams get their way!!

Well done Tom & Bigsmak! :thumbsup:

Thank Christ I am not alone in thinking that we are screwed if wee eck and his band of bams get their way!!

Well done Tom & Bigsmak! :thumbsup:

I couldn't give two shits about anything other than money in my pocket. Can't see independence making me richer so happy to stay as we are. If anything I reckon ther would be less jobs and higher taxes. Not a fan of that outcome.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Ironically, the gruesomes might benefit.

Scotland being independent removes any opportunity FIFA might have to subsume Scotland into a UK national team. That hurdle removed, it might make things easier for the gruesomes to move leagues.

Rebuild Hadrian's wall and shoot any fecker that tries to cross it - in either direction thumbsup.gif

Wait til I'm in England first pls :(

I P Knightley

We are all doomed...................

...you quote my avatar!

You mugs will all end up with Euros.

Careful what you wish for.

I drove from Paris to Ternuzen in the Netherlands and never used my passport once. I did drive through some old border crossings though but there was no one there. I'd assume the same thing here.

Not once in the past 5 times has there been a single person to meet me (or anybody for that matter) as I stepped off the plane from Canada. :geek:

----

We would not have oil money? Surely all oil and gas extracted from our territorial waters and taxes generated will flow into Scotlands coffers as opposed to Westminster and all new drilling licences will be applied for via Edinburgh. It's immaterial who drills for it, it's all about where the tax goes and the vast majority will be to us. That's my understanding anyway. Im sure others can clarify if thats the case.

Say that does happen, that's a big hole in the English finances, they'll need to raise taxes just in time for you flitting.

:greggy:

as i said on the other thread, we will have to assume 10% of the UK debt, but we would also stand to gain 10% of the resources as well (can't find the damn link now though)

taking oil out of the equation, are you aware that whisky alone brings in approx ?3 million per year in taxes which heads straight to westminster?

thats just one thing that they won't be getting.

i would suggest that westminster are terrified of the break up of the union as they know they would ultimately be the losers while we, as a country flourish. if they think they subsidise us so heavily (total myth) why are they so desperate to keep the union?

did you know that scotland contributes 11.5% of UK GDP, with 8.5% of the population and WITHOUT taking North Sea oil revenue into account. more than enough of an economic base to go it alone dontcha think?

it is only right and fair that the key decisions affecting a country should be made in that country by the democratically elected representatives of the people of that country. and on top of that, westminster has been proven corrupt. why not allow ourselves the chance to make a good go of it?

i for one reckon we'd do a bloody good job!

Geoff Kilpatrick

We would not have oil money? Surely all oil and gas extracted from our territorial waters and taxes generated will flow into Scotlands coffers as opposed to Westminster and all new drilling licences will be applied for via Edinburgh. It's immaterial who drills for it, it's all about where the tax goes and the vast majority will be to us. That's my understanding anyway. Im sure others can clarify if thats the case.

Say that does happen, that's a big hole in the English finances, they'll need to raise taxes just in time for you flitting.

:greggy:

Given the deficit the whole UK economy has with all of the tax revenues, taxes are headed upwards everywhere, be it one country, two, three or four.

I think what needs to be clear is that the Scandinavian style social democracy that is the ideal outcome some want, apparently, can't be paid for with Tory/New Labour taxation levels.

the UK is a political entity comprising Scotland, England, wales, norn Ireland and various bits and bobs. Scotland wants to leave this partnership.

there are lots of things that are still up in the air but its almost inconceivable you'd need a passport to enter England.

UK voted against the Schengen (sp?) agreement - therefore you can't get into the UK without a passport. . So, the rump UK (after Scotland leaves ) will demand passports to get in - as they do at the moment.

In addition , Scotland to join the Euro.

All this in the media down here - now that they give a sheet about the fact that independence really is a possibility.

Geoff Kilpatrick

UK voted against the Schengen (sp?) agreement - therefore you can't get into the UK without a passport. . So, the rump UK (after Scotland leaves ) will demand passports to get in - as they do at the moment.

In addition , Scotland to join the Euro.

All this in the media down here - now that they give a sheet about the fact that independence really is a possibility.

The Scotland Euro question comes about due to the argument that Scotland would be a new country applying for EU membership and therefore UK opt-outs would not apply. However, the Euro may not exist by 2014 or, if it does, be a 'rump' of the current bloc.

As for Schengen the Republic of Ireland didn't apply it either, leading to the common travel zone. It would make perfect sense for an independent Scotland to sit within the common travel zone too.

The Scotland Euro question comes about due to the argument that Scotland would be a new country applying for EU membership and therefore UK opt-outs would not apply. However, the Euro may not exist by 2014 or, if it does, be a 'rump' of the current bloc.

As for Schengen the Republic of Ireland didn't apply it either, leading to the common travel zone. It would make perfect sense for an independent Scotland to sit within the common travel zone too.

Agreed ; my point to the question is - you might well need a passport to cross into England as the 'UK' (which Scotland chooses to cede from) hasn't applied the Schengen Agreement.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Agreed ; my point to the question is - you might well need a passport to cross into England as the 'UK' (which Scotland chooses to cede from) hasn't applied the Schengen Agreement.

Indeed.

From reading the papers during my lunch here, some of the English press seem completely befuddled about the whole issue!

taking oil out of the equation, are you aware that whisky alone brings in approx ?3 million per year in taxes which heads straight to westminster?

I presume you mean ?3 billion.

That's the total sales figure for the industry. The excise duty generated by whisky amounts to around ?700 million. However, alcohol excise duty is a consumption tax, which means that it is ultimately paid by drinkers in the UK. Since 90% of the UK's drinkers are outside Scotland, this means that most of the tax is generated outside Scotland, and therefore the amount of excise duty generated within Scotland is a lot less than ?700 million. Even if you allow for a higher rate of consumption in Scotland, the reality is that the whisky industry would probably only generate about ?100 million annually in excise duty. There would also be a gain in Corporation Tax receipts, but not enough to make a huge difference to overall tax revenues.

In other words, it'll hardly make or break the country.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I do enjoy reading BTL comments on articles. There are a few groups posting, which amuse me no end: -

The rabid Nats who purport that Scotland will be Nirvana without perfidious Westminster getting in the way. However they seem awfully offended by the English goodbye wavers who simply say "On you go! Why should we care?". Why this is I'm not sure. Surely they should be natural bedfellows but it is almost like the rabid Nats only like the English pant-wetters who don't want to say goodbye, particularly those in the North of England who fear the barsteward Tories. Then there are the Scottish unionists who despise Salmond, who seem to attract more ire from the pant-wetters than from the rabid Nats.

All very confusing and funny!

Geoff Kilpatrick

I presume you mean ?3 billion.

That's the total sales figure for the industry. The excise duty generated by whisky amounts to around ?700 million. However, alcohol excise duty is a consumption tax, which means that it is ultimately paid by drinkers in the UK. Since 90% of the UK's drinkers are outside Scotland, this means that most of the tax is generated outside Scotland, and therefore the amount of excise duty generated within Scotland is a lot less than ?700 million. Even if you allow for a higher rate of consumption in Scotland, the reality is that the whisky industry would probably only generate about ?100 million annually in excise duty. There would also be a gain in Corporation Tax receipts, but not enough to make a huge difference to overall tax revenues.

In other words, it'll hardly make or break the country.

All true but you also have to factor it into the UK balance of payments. Scotland, in theory, could have a trade surplus given products with a high export demand, like whiskey (the correct spelling ::troll:::'>). However, that's unlikely when its exports would be valued in an overvalued currency relative to its economic standing (pound or Euro).

It will never happen it's a terrible idea A the man leading the campaign is a prick with a chip on his shoulder. Salmond knows he can stir up support for the idea by saying England have messed over Scotland which is nonsense. London has messed over the north of England and the rest of Britain just as much, not England London.

In 10 years the country would be on it's knees people keep saying there is oil no there isn't it is running out fast.there's no solid foundation for Scotland to be independent, and why would you want to break up the union which has 300 years of history. We work better together at the end of the day we are all from great britain.

ToadKiller Dog

Funny enough I have never heard the SNP or Alec Salmond blame England for anything ,Westminster government yes but Westminster is not England or the English .

What would independence mean for me short term likely no real change my boss would still be my boss I would still get paid . I imagine we would still have a health service .maybe a more progressive state pension and welfare system .

Would scotland go bust I would doubt it would be any more likely than the UK .

Longer term could be better as Policy would be Scottish based and argued as such in the EU and the UN .

If Small nations who came out of the communist era can survive why not a first world developed nation like Scotland ?

dobmisterdobster

London has messed over the north of England and the rest of Britain just as much, not England London.

Really? I thought it was Leeds for a minute there.

In 10 years the country would be on it's knees people keep saying there is oil no there isn't it is running out fast.

Cameron claimed that we have at least 50 years of North Sea oil left, but thank you random Internet guy. I'm sure you are in a very informed position to make such a claim.

I don`t trust the Government just now and i wouldn`t trust the SNP.....

I think the whole independence thing is all too Braveheart by the SNP , and be honest, is there any real need for it?

Scotland is well and truly recognised worldwide as a nation with its history and reputation, so its nothing to do with us being given our identity back...

As pointed out by others, i think we could suffer as the business world takes a good shake-up......

And again, are we realy oppressed, poor and toiling? (bar the recession of recent times) we`re hardly hard done by and we have one of the most famous, flourshing capitals around.

Just leave things alone and at peace ffs...

The Mighty Thor

Good to see the hackneyed Daily Mail stereotypes getting trotted out.

Passports

The Euro

Oil Monies

Subsidy Junkies

Great stuff :facepalm:

If you want to find out a bit more about what Independence is really all about and what it would mean to Sctoland and her people you are sitting reading this with one of the worlds most powerful research tools only a www. away.

Don't be afraid. Open your mind.

You may just find that the Daily Mail's fab 4 above are merely bullshit?

That's fact is it? Name those that have said as much.

I think any Scottish Govt would be able to tax etc those companies.

----

Why council tax? Surely the post office is central Govt and not local govt responsibility?

Sorry, I'm not having that. As for the Army, it's already raised, isn't it?

So we should kow-tow to the rich then? Very servile of you *tugs forelock*

I can't say I've heard any of that rhetoric from the SNP grandees of late. Source?

Actually, Iceland aren't doing that bad at all. Their Govt guaranteed the savings of the people when the banks went down but told the banks to sort the rest oftheir business out. Therefore no massive deficit and Iceland have paid back UK pension fund monies as a sign of goodwill. Unlike the uk Govt's who seem hell bent on keeping the bankers sweet and we can all pay for that.

Costs in Norway are all relative. As are the public services that they provide. A pint may cost three times as much but the average salary may also be three times as much.

For what it's worth, I'm not an SNP supporter, or that fussed over independence...however given the choice between what we have now and going it alone, I'm tempted to vote for independence, unless we get a devo-max option, but Cameron seems keen to avoid that issue and sweep it under the carpet, a bit like his AV vote stunt.

Archived