End of brewing in Edinburgh?

Guest casper

Nelly Terraces

Agree, very worrying, despite the assurances from the MD. You can never predict what large companies will do with assets such at the Caley when they get their mucky mitts on them. It's all down to money for these barstewards at the end of the day.

If nothing else, it's pretty sad that the Caley has now lost it's independence, and you have to fear that eventually it could be the end of what used to be a thriving industry and brewing tradition in my city.

Expect there to be wholesale changes, i.e. no more 80' or IPA, and a knew line of, errr, 'updated' products to be available, i.e. All New Caley Fruit Shooters in test tubes, Caley Fizz - their new line of p*sstasting lagers (served in a bottle strangely reminsent to that of Budweiser, the ultimate industry standard of p*ss) and Caley SuperStrength, available in Coatbridge only.

****g depressing. I hate the modern world really, pah.

Agree, very worrying, despite the assurances from the MD. You can never predict what large companies will do with assets such at the Caley when they get their mucky mitts on them. It's all down to money for these barstewards at the end of the day.

If nothing else, it's pretty sad that the Caley has now lost it's independence, and you have to fear that eventually it could be the end of what used to be a thriving industry and brewing tradition in my city.

Expect there to be wholesale changes, i.e. no more 80' or IPA, and a knew line of, errr, 'updated' products to be available, i.e. All New Caley Fruit Shooters in test tubes, Caley Fizz - their new line of p*sstasting lagers (served in a bottle strangely reminsent to that of Budweiser, the ultimate industry standard of p*ss) and Caley SuperStrength, available in Coatbridge only.

****g depressing. I hate the modern world really, pah.

On the surface, it seems a depressing move, I agree. Let's hope they're allowed to stick to doing what they're good at. I've met the MD, and he seems a sound bloke. I suppose we should be grateful that there's a lot of good stuff happening in small breweries that wasn't there 20 years ago, even if Caley does go tits-up.

John Findlay

As long as they dont put another building up for politicians.

When the Scottish Parliament was completed. My dad who lives right across the road from it was giving a guided tour by one of the MSPs. I forget which one.

When the tour was over he asked my dad what he thought of the place.

According to my father he replied. What a waste of a good brewery.

John

Guest casper
Scottish brewing reached a peak of 280 breweries in 1840 after which they declined due to the rampant mergers and closures (that continue to the present day). As Scotland entered the 20th century, brewing was primarily concentrated in large firms residing in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Alloa with Edinburgh having the largest number of breweries (35). By 1910, 92 breweries were left in Scotland dropping to a total of 63 in 1920 as reported by the Brewers Almanack. Restrictions on raw materials imposed during World War I along with the Temperance Movement took a further toll reducing the number of breweries to only 36 by 1940. There were just 26 left in 1960 and the number declined further to only 11 by 1970.

This is from http://www.scottishbrewing.com an shows how Scottish and Edinburgh brewing has declined. I feel quite depressed now. Might go out tonight and drown my sorrows with a few half litres of "European Standard Lager".

Nelly Terraces
On the surface, it seems a depressing move, I agree. Let's hope they're allowed to stick to doing what they're good at. I've met the MD, and he seems a sound bloke. I suppose we should be grateful that there's a lot of good stuff happening in small breweries that wasn't there 20 years ago, even if Caley does go tits-up.

I bet the MD is more than a decent geezer, but this cannot be seen as anything but, in the longterm, bad news. That brewery is donald ducked now for sure. Maybe Pentland will come into it's own now.

As I live approx 1.5mins walk from the place, I am, to put into footie parlance, sick as a parrot.:sad:

Nelly Terraces
This is from http://www.scottishbrewing.com an shows how Scottish and Edinburgh brewing has declined. I feel quite depressed now. Might go out tonight and drown my sorrows with a few half litres of "European Standard Lager".

I may join you in that. We could head down to the Diggers Fun & Disco Bar, hear they've got got a karaoke machine in there now, and the Hawaii night is meant to be a blast!

Mark_Mywords

The first nail in the coffin was when S&N bought into Caley back in 2004 when Fountain was closed.

Nelly Terraces
The first nail in the coffin was when S&N bought into Caley back in 2004 when Fountain was closed.

Correct. Still loving yer siggy there mate.

A mate just sent me this via email:

The Caledonian Brewery has been described as a Victorian museum of beer but all the exhibits here are in working order. Its home is a Grade II-listed building; Victorian-designed, direct-fired open coppers are still at the heart of the brewing process, but now traditional methods are combined with modern know-how to give consistency of flavour and quality.

http://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/Display.aspx?MasterId=2b04823e-7f67-44b5-aec7-f17e7d15da5d&NavigationId=789

You know what, I've live about 500yards from the place for 5 years but have never been inside it (aprt from when they used to have the Festys there). Think I may rectify this. Anyone know, can you do a tour?

100 % percent right. Caley has being a sub. company for SN for a few years now, but like most of there companies they have let it get on with its own business. No-one knows how Carlsberg would view Caley, but i reckon they will not go about messing with it in the short-term, and if anything they will look at the current group of companies under the SN umbrella and may let some of the under performing ones to go by themselves rather than have cost-cutting and job cuts. It may have the same results but the brand is not tarished with people losing thier jobs.

Guest casper
You know what, I've live about 500yards from the place for 5 years but have never been inside it (aprt from when they used to have the Festys there). Think I may rectify this. Anyone know, can you do a tour?

A few years back I used to be quite active in Edinburgh Camra. Been round the place a few times and Camra used to play bowls against the brewery staff on the green that is now a trailer park. The Camra and Caley festivals there were always very good as well. Don't know about tours these days.

Nelly Terraces
A few years back I used to be quite active in Edinburgh Camra. Been round the place a few times and Camra used to play bowls against the brewery staff on the green that is now a trailer park. The Camra and Caley festivals there were always very good as well. Don't know about tours these days.

Nicest of touches. You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Say What Again
When the Scottish Parliament was completed. My dad who lives right across the road from it

How long has your Dad lived there John?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Bring back the beer festivals that's what i say

The great wall of Slateford has never recovered from all the festivalers

bumping into it on their way home after a sesssshhhhh

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Caley were a victim of their own success.

IPA went thru the roof when it won CAMRA Beer of the year a few years back

Caledonian didn't have the assets or the cash to cope with the demand hence selling their beer production to S & N

IMHO it's a big brand nowadays and it's unlikely to disappear

These guys brew in Edinburgh and its really rather good stuff

http://www.stewartbrewing.co.uk/

Nelly Terraces
Caley were a victim of their own success.

IPA went thru the roof when it won CAMRA Beer of the year a few years back

Caledonian didn't have the assets or the cash to cope with the demand hence selling their beer production to S & N

IMHO it's a big brand nowadays and it's unlikely to disappear

These guys brew in Edinburgh and its really rather good stuff

http://www.stewartbrewing.co.uk/

Their Pentland IPA is the nuts. Beginning to see their beer in a few pubs in town which is good, it's cracking gear.

They do a blinding pint of the IPA in the Flotterstone Inn. Go for a good walk up the Pentlands, then get into the Flotterstone for some nosebag and a coupla pints of this throat nectar. Total Jubblies.

http://www.flotterstoneinn.com/

NT

Nelly Terraces
Good shout sir!

The Stable Bar has 3 of their beers on draught and they are all excellent.

Edinburgh No.3 Ale is a meal in a glass:p

Is that the one up at Mortonhall/Fairmilehead? If so, not been in there for years but may rectify that. Do they do scarn in there, might get along there this Sunday for a bit of lunch and some of the liquid refreshment you detailed there!!

Is that the one up at Mortonhall/Fairmilehead? If so, not been in there for years but may rectify that. Do they do scarn in there, might get along there this Sunday for a bit of lunch and some of the liquid refreshment you detailed there!!

That's the one. Past Klondyke, past the Campsite and you're there.

Foods pretty good too.

Nelly Terraces
That's the one. Past Klondyke, past the Campsite and you're there.

Foods pretty good too.

Thanks mate. Champion. Used to live up that way way back. Now I know they do Stewarts beer I'll be paying it a visit with Mrs Terraces. She can drive.;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I did a bit of work for Steve Stewart a few years ago

Brilliant bloke who absolutely loves his job. He still has his first brewery that he built in his garden shed on his premises.

He sells his takeaway mini kegs at the farmers market on castle terrace.

Nelly Terraces
I did a bit of work for Steve Stewart a few years ago

Brilliant bloke who absolutely loves his job. He still has his first brewery that he built in his garden shed on his premises.

He sells his takeaway mini kegs at the farmers market on castle terrace.

Aint surprised!! Wonder if he needs an assistant? I'd be perfect in the tasting dept!!:P

Adi Dassler

My old man worked in the brewery for 35 years before he got made redundant.

He now drives a taxi.

:sad:

Sadly the brewing industry is no different to any other industry in the world today. Big Brands is what it's all about. This coupled with the shift to lager and off trade will eventually destroy all but a few niche regional brewers IMHO.

I honestly believe this decline was inevitable but it has undoubtedly been accelerated by the introduction of the Beer Orders in the 1980's. When S&N's independence disappears in the next couple of months there will be no independent national UK brewers left. Who would have believed 20 years ago that names like Bass, Whitbread, Courage, McEwans, Youngers would no longer exist. The few remaining regional brewers are already dependent to a large degree on international brands and it will be interesting to see whether how many of them can continue to support their own brands.

Frankly if you like quality cask ales I suggest you make the most of them as I suspect theyll be hard to find in 10 years time , mind you so might pubs be!!!

Shocking state of affairs, Edinburgh used to be one of the main brewing centres in the UK along with places like Burton On Trent and Alloa.

My old man worked for Scottish And Newcastle for many a year and i don't think younger people realise just how huge they were (biggest employer in Edinburgh for a while) or that Tennents had a brewery in Edinburgh.

The old fella would be shocked if he was still with us.

Loads of great stories about the nutters that worked there as well.

davemclaren

Bad news for real beer drinkers. :sad:

As for Stewart No. 3, I remember drinking Youngers no. 3 in the Cafe Royal years ago and it was very similar.

Shocking state of affairs, Edinburgh used to be one of the main brewing centres in the UK along with places like Burton On Trent and Alloa.

My old man worked for Scottish And Newcastle for many a year and i don't think younger people realise just how huge they were (biggest employer in Edinburgh for a while) or that Tennents had a brewery in Edinburgh.

The old fella would be shocked if he was still with us.

Loads of great stories about the nutters that worked there as well.

It's not just Edinburgh Taz. London used to be full of breweries. There are only 2 left and I bet no one (apart from London Hearts members) could name them.

Father Tiresias
As long as they still brew ice cold Best in Dunbar I will be happy.

_41224003_fountsandpint203220.jpg

Call me old fashioned, but I like my beer served slightly warmer than Belhaven are prepared to give me.

It's not just Edinburgh Taz. London used to be full of breweries. There are only 2 left and I bet no one (apart from London Hearts members) could name them.

Well, Fullers at Chiswick will be one. Budweiser has a the Stag Brewery at Mortlake on the river but I don't think you'll mean that one. So, not sure what the second is.

By the way are Greene King, Marstons and Everards no longer independent?

Anyway, sad day for Edinburgh and Caley. That house on Slateford Eoad by the bus stop and brewery gates used to be the brewery manager's house and came with job, a bit like how head parkies got a house with the job.

Archived