What next for mobile phones ?

Better call Saul

Better call Saul

Other than a 100% everywhere along with video Iphone upgrade , surely the mobile phone phenomenon is slowing down .

They'll always find something new to add onto a new mobile phone.

Be it a better camera or a 3D screen.

Commander Harris

Other than a 100% everywhere along with video Iphone upgrade , surely the mobile phone phenomenon is slowing down .

in much the same way as developments in conventional PCs continued - phone hardware will continue to improve allowing for, for example, high end games on mobile platforms. There's already a full port of GTA3 for iOS and Android for example. That's 10 years behind the console release but this gap will close.

one area where there really needs to be development is in battery life. you shouldn't need to worry about running out of juice even under heavy usage - playing music, games, video etc

Apple Siri may be giving a look at what's to come. Siri (and Android & Windows future equivalents) may give genuine hands free operation for most uses.... :unsure:

Carl Spackler

The pulling together of visual scanning, GPS and identification of audio in realtime to provide you with constant and unlimited amounts of information. Augmented Reality. Heads-up display.

You will soon lose your own mind.

Siri is definitely the first step towards voice control. I expect a combination of voice+touch to become as ubiquitous as keyboard+mouse in the next couple of years.

Another development will be using mobiles for cashless small payments, using Near Field Communication (NFC) chips to identify your mobile (amongst other applications).

Also, when 4G comes online (sadly our pathetic infrastructure might see it take till 2015 leaving us in the meantime miles behind much of the world) that will revolutionize mobile use - from a device that you might use to check the odd thing online when not on a wifi connection, to a connection much, much faster than home broadband. True internet access on the move will be the norm, with online gaming over / via mobiles possible etc.

Carl is right that augmented reality will really take off once the localisation services are more mature and the information providers are distilled into just a couple of providers say. Point your mobile camera at a restaurant and get prices, menus pop up a touchable link for bookings and reviews, discounts etc. Point it at Edinburgh Castle and get a list of admission prices, times, quick book tickets (which will then let you in without further interaction using your NFC chip), point at bus stop and the times and real time timetables come up, arrival times, one click bookable tickets (again your NFC chip will act as a ticket and the bus will charge you as your mobile is scanned on entry.

I was hoping personally that the minature pico projectors would start being fitted to mobiles, but it hasn't materialised either due to cost or the components still being too big.

I'm on an iPhone 4 so can't use Siri yet but wondered how much use it really will get? Will it become the norm or will it be a bit like FaceTime with people getting excited for about two minutes & then never really using it? Not really what the OP is asking but I was just thinking that lots of these developments sound great at first but lots end up just being too much of a novelty.

Saw a thing on bbc about the augmented reality idea and thought that would be one I'd like a lot. Very practical.

I want mines to implant non invasive electrodes into the mrs which inform her when I need my dinner. And none of the recent cous cous debacles.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Apple Siri may be giving a look at what's to come. Siri (and Android & Windows future equivalents) may give genuine hands free operation for most uses.... :unsure:

Yep, context speech is the way forward. In essence, monetising personal "concierge" services with the value prop being the convenience trumping your need for effort will lead to another boost in memory, battery life etc

The bottom line is the need for instantaneous information, which will become more and more prevalent.

Carl Spackler

A phone that is that durable that you could roll it up would be very cool. On the augmented reality thing one of my favourite bits in a film in recent years was in Ironman 2 where Tony Stark points his phone at the screen and pulls in lots of information before hijacking their AV setup. His phone is see-through in that scene. Now you could probably do that in effect now by using the phone's camera but if the screen could be genuinely see through when off that would be very smart.

Like the concept video Corning released a while back

I'm on an iPhone 4 so can't use Siri yet but wondered how much use it really will get? Will it become the norm or will it be a bit like FaceTime with people getting excited for about two minutes & then never really using it? Not really what the OP is asking but I was just thinking that lots of these developments sound great at first but lots end up just being too much of a novelty.

Saw a thing on bbc about the augmented reality idea and thought that would be one I'd like a lot. Very practical.

I think it will take off as the natural reticence people have to talk TO machines will be broken down - witness how many people are absolutely hopeless when faced with an answer machine. Apple are masters at sneaking high concepts in without people realising - the iPhone is the best example of this, sneaking in a smartphone without a lot of consumers even recognising that was what they were getting!

Siri seems like it will prove useful (i reckon facetime hasn't really taken off for the same reason video phones didn't - a mix of vanity and people being unable to lie face to face!) and in a couple of years we will probably use a mixture of speech and touch just like we use mouse/keyboard. Microsoft's Kinect for the 360 also allows voice control so that also could break down the barrier.

The next development I'm hoping for is for glasses to be made that beam a heads up display onto the glass (or even beamed into your retina) showing information from your mobile including all the augmented reality stuff. Perhaps eventually being controlled by eye movement or thought. Not as far away as you might think: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/HUD-Android-Glasses-Google-X-goggles,news-13598.html

seen a bit on tv about future of phones and they were talking about projectors on phones so you could watch tv etc against a wall .

seen a bit on tv about future of phones and they were talking about projectors on phones so you could watch tv etc against a wall .

Mentioned that in my first post, been promised for a couple of years. Hopefully the technology is now ready.

Siri is definitely the first step towards voice control. I expect a combination of voice+touch to become as ubiquitous as keyboard+mouse in the next couple of years.

Another development will be using mobiles for cashless small payments, using Near Field Communication (NFC) chips to identify your mobile (amongst other applications).

Also, when 4G comes online (sadly our pathetic infrastructure might see it take till 2015 leaving us in the meantime miles behind much of the world) that will revolutionize mobile use - from a device that you might use to check the odd thing online when not on a wifi connection, to a connection much, much faster than home broadband. True internet access on the move will be the norm, with online gaming over / via mobiles possible etc.

Carl is right that augmented reality will really take off once the localisation services are more mature and the information providers are distilled into just a couple of providers say. Point your mobile camera at a restaurant and get prices, menus pop up a touchable link for bookings and reviews, discounts etc. Point it at Edinburgh Castle and get a list of admission prices, times, quick book tickets (which will then let you in without further interaction using your NFC chip), point at bus stop and the times and real time timetables come up, arrival times, one click bookable tickets (again your NFC chip will act as a ticket and the bus will charge you as your mobile is scanned on entry.

I was hoping personally that the minature pico projectors would start being fitted to mobiles, but it hasn't materialised either due to cost or the components still being too big.

You can already do this with Barclaycard (only with Orange). It works the same as your contactless card.

one area where there really needs to be development is in battery life. you shouldn't need to worry about running out of juice even under heavy usage - playing music, games, video etc

My phone runs for 10-12 days on a full charge :smug:

Jambof3tornado

My phone runs for 10-12 days on a full charge :smug:

20080515173147_s_mobile_phone_prop.jpg

Aye but a pity the fork lift truck to carry it needs refueled every 20 miles!!!!thumbsup.gif

Sheriff Fatman

Both Windows and Android have had voice control for over a year, it is Apple that have had to play catch up with this one (and the only way they could do it was by buying someone else's tech).

Siri looks more impressive as it seems to be intelligent, but in reality it is just parroting pre-configured answers stored on a massive server. If you lose connection you lose Siri, neither the Windows nor Android voice control systems fall at that basic level.

Like the concept video Corning released a while back

Wow. Just wow.

Can we have that now please?

Sheriff Fatman

Wow. Just wow.

Can we have that now please?

A lot of that is already possible, just out of the price range of most people

You will also use your Phone as a Replacement for money, it will become your visa/debit card

kingantti1874

A lot of that is already possible, just out of the price range of most people

The technology is all available. Just not wrapped together as neatly quite yet... Looking fed to the announcements at this years CES...

Both Windows and Android have had voice control for over a year, it is Apple that have had to play catch up with this one (and the only way they could do it was by buying someone else's tech).

I don't want to get into a pissing contest over Android/Apple, as that's not what this thread is about, and it's just boring. Android, Windows, and other different mobile OS have had "voice control" for many years now, as have Apple.

One of Apple's strengths has been to take existing technology (hardware & software) and make it far more accessible and user friendly, and that's what they've done with Siri.

Siri is far far in front of the previous voice control available on most mobiles, but IMO, is still very much in it's infancy. I think Siri will be more important, not for what it actually does, but for giving a glimpse of what could be done in the future by linking aspects of; Voice Recognition, Wi-Fi, GPS, Augmented Reality, Bluetooth, Artificial Inteligence, and Mobile Phones.

Whether this race is led by Android, Apple, Windows, or A.N.Other, Operating System, remains to be seen, but the only thing slowing it down is battery life. Who ever's first to crack that commercially, will have a massive advantage, regardless of whether their handset and/or O.S. are actually the best.

You can already do this with Barclaycard (only with Orange). It works the same as your contactless card.

Was talking to a guy I know who has done a bit if work for apple before and is involved in developing this side of things.

The biggest obstical was the network provider wanting their piece of the pie.

Most of his discussions had been with AT&T and where visa etc want people's smart phone to become their credit card the network provider wants a share of the money so taking money off visa or the retailer for their services. Not spoken to him for a while so not sure how this progressed but that may be why you can only find one or two agreements in place to provide this payment method and why a lot of people don't know it now exists.

If you look at companies like Pizza Express there app allows you to pay your restaurant bill with their app via PayPal - surprised more havent done something similar

Aye but a pity the fork lift truck to carry it needs refueled every 20 miles!!!!

Very good ;)

Phones are getting bigger in size again though! Because of all the stuff on them.

As you've guessed i've a very basic samsung model. But tell you what it is half the size and weight of an iphone!

Sheriff Fatman

I don't want to get into a pissing contest over Android/Apple, as that's not what this thread is about, and it's just boring. Android, Windows, and other different mobile OS have had "voice control" for many years now, as have Apple.

One of Apple's strengths has been to take existing technology (hardware & software) and make it far more accessible and user friendly, and that's what they've done with Siri.

Siri is far far in front of the previous voice control available on most mobiles, but IMO, is still very much in it's infancy. I think Siri will be more important, not for what it actually does, but for giving a glimpse of what could be done in the future by linking aspects of; Voice Recognition, Wi-Fi, GPS, Augmented Reality, Bluetooth, Artificial Inteligence, and Mobile Phones.

Whether this race is led by Android, Apple, Windows, or A.N.Other, Operating System, remains to be seen, but the only thing slowing it down is battery life. Who ever's first to crack that commercially, will have a massive advantage, regardless of whether their handset and/or O.S. are actually the best.

No pissing contest, just a reality check as to what Siri is and what it isn't. It is not any form of artificial intelligence, it is not even that advanced at voice recognition (both the Windows and Android version actually do more). Siri just parrots exactly what Apple have already told it to say based on data stored on very powerful servers. If you lose connection or if the server goes down (as has happened ) Siri is pretty much useless.

Siri looks more impressive as it seems to be intelligent, but in reality it is just parroting pre-configured answers stored on a massive server. If you lose connection you lose Siri, neither the Windows nor Android voice control systems fall at that basic level.

So with no connection what exactly are you going to use your voice control for on your windows/android device ?

Sheriff Fatman

So with no connection what exactly are you going to use your voice control for on your windows/android device ?

With no data connection you can still use the voice recognition for almost all the functions it performs on an Android phone as the voice recognition is done on your phone, not on a server thousands of miles away. The only one you lose is internet searches.

If you lose connection to the Siri server you lose almost every function as almost all of them are just internet searches with a few bells and whistles attached.

Having said all that voice recognition is really just a gimmick, who wants to look like a **** speaking at their phone.

With no data connection you can still use the voice recognition for almost all the functions it performs on an Android phone as the voice recognition is done on your phone, not on a server thousands of miles away.

You have changed it to data connection now I see. rolleyes.gif

Video calls has been here for years :facepalm:

My Samsung Galaxy S has similar voice commands as Siri. (I can tell it to text/call/google search/open apps) :facepalm:

Sheriff Fatman

You have changed it to data connection now I see. rolleyes.gif

Well if you are discussing a connection to a server it does tend to imply a data connection, you don't really phone a server or text message it.

kingantti1874

Flash player on the i phone would be a bloody start......... :angry:

Adobe have abandoned flash mobile largely due to the stance apple an Microsoft have taken with HTML 5... It will be disappearing completely over the next year... Don't sweat that one

kingantti1874

Video calls has been here for years :facepalm:

My Samsung Galaxy S has similar voice commands as Siri. (I can tell it to text/call/google search/open apps) :facepalm:

It's not similar at all... I'm no fan of voice control, can't see

Any application outside the car TBH but Siri is miles

In front of the conpetition in terms of the intelligence it has and it's ability.to maintain a conversation...

Sheriff Fatman

It's not similar at all... I'm no fan of voice control, can't see

Any application outside the car TBH but Siri is miles

In front of the conpetition in terms of the intelligence it has and it's ability.to maintain a conversation...

Siri has no intelligence what-so-ever. It is a database of preconfigured questions with preconfigured answers linked to an advanced internet search engine (Wolfram|Alpha, but Apple don't like to let you know that it is actually someone else doing the really clever bit). It is a massive database, but that is all it is.

Having said all that voice recognition is really just a gimmick, who wants to look like a **** speaking at their phone.

Yeah, imagine talking to a phone! :blink:

That'll never catch on! :unsure:

:P

Sheriff Fatman

Yeah, imagine talking to a phone! :blink:

That'll never catch on! :unsure:

:P

You talk though a phone, not at one.

It's bad enough the idiots with hands free sets stuffed in their ears, wandering around looking like a twonk without even more stupid people wandering around thinking they are having an intelligent conversation with a lump of metal, plastic and glass.

kingantti1874

Siri has no intelligence what-so-ever. It is a database of preconfigured questions with preconfigured answers linked to an advanced internet search engine (Wolfram|Alpha, but Apple don't like to let you know that it is actually someone else doing the really clever bit). It is a massive database, but that is all it is.

Well yes I Realise that but they are still doing something noone else is... I don't see much use for it personally, but it is still very clever and goes a step beyond the service offered by competing platforms

Sheriff Fatman

Well yes I Realise that but they are still doing something noone else is... I don't see much use for it personally, but it is still very clever and goes a step beyond the service offered by competing platforms

It doesn't go beyond other platforms at all, in many ways it is behind what Windows and Android provide. It gives far less controls over your phone than the Windows and Android version, it looks like it does more when you ask questions, but in reality all it does is a web search and speaks the answer back. A flash UI doesn't make it innovative, it makes it flash.

It doesn't go beyond other platforms at all, in many ways it is behind what Windows and Android provide. It gives far less controls over your phone than the Windows and Android version, it looks like it does more when you ask questions, but in reality all it does is a web search and speaks the answer back. A flash UI doesn't make it innovative, it makes it flash.

What does the windows/android version do the Siri doesn't ?

Sheriff Fatman

What does the windows/android version do the Siri doesn't ?

Turn by turn voice activated navigation for a start.

As kingantti stated earlier, voice control of phones is really only gives a practical advantage when driving. Google voice actions is integrated into Android Google Maps and gives spoken turn by turn navigation. Siri will search Google Maps, but you still have to look at the screen to get the directions as it won't speak them to you.

Google Voice Action gathers information directly from local business sources such as Yelp, Siri doesn't. This means that you can call business directly with Voice Action, you can't with Siri.

With ICS you can turn voice on by voice rather than by having to tap the screen in Siri.

Voice opens any web page you do a search for, Siri only gives the first page of a Google search, you then have to tap the screen.

kingantti1874

Owning both a 4s and a lumia 800 it does... You can do nothing on those platforms you can't do in Siri.., the same does not apply the other way round - you cannot ask wp7.5 if your gonna need your brolly, what's in calendar today or use the geolocation features in conjunction to text the wife on your way home... I accept a lot is perception and polish... It doesn't take away from the fact it's a step forward and the experience is much better for the vast majority of users... It is also significantly more accurate and has a bigger library of words... Apple do what they do best and make things better

Sheriff Fatman
you cannot ask wp7.5 if your gonna need your brolly,

Ever thought of looking out of the window? :rolleyes:

Seriously though none of the examples you give are anything but fluff. They make no real difference to actually using your phone. I cannot remember the last time that I was so concerned about the weather that I had to look it up on my phone.

kingantti1874

Ever thought of looking out of the window? :rolleyes:

Seriously though none of the examples you give are anything but fluff. They make no real difference to actually using your phone. I cannot remember the last time that I was so concerned about the weather that I had to look it up on my phone.

You can't change the terms chief - I agree with you entirely but the debate was ish ether Siri does anything different or better than other platforms ... On both counts it does - call it spit, polish, fluff but they have taken a function and better integrated it, used it more intelligently, presented it better than the competition...no matter how they achieved it

On a final note, I still don't see the mass appeal - noone is going to talk to their phone on the train or at work... You'll look like a knob... It's a very cool novelty IMO

As per my original post on the thread i think the flexible oled / graphene screens present the next big change, phones which will take different form factors as opposed to rectangles again... Thankfully ..Samsung look like leading in this area... If I was them I wouldn't liscence the tech to apple for a while and establish a lead

Archived