Stuart Adamson Day 11/04/08

Eggo

Skids and Big Country Scottish music legend Stuart Adamson would have celebrated his 50th birthday on Friday 11th April,had he not been taken away when still a young man.

Please join in this day and reflect on his extraordinary music career and celebrate his life in anyway you can.

Pubs and bars around the world are holding events,especially his home town of Dunfermline.

Tappie Toories Pub from 3pm till 1am.

RIP Stuart,lifelong friend and mate!

http://www.bigcountry.co.uk

I P Knightley

Did you see or hear any of the recent tour/songs by Big Country as a 3-piece? I don't think that Tony Butler has the voice to carry it but a lot of the die-hard fans were very positive about the stuff they did.

There's no doubt that Adamson's voice was pretty unique (& strong) and I also think that his guitar work was far more intricate & clever than he's ever given credit for.

I was reading up a little on the early days of the Skids. Hadn't realised that Stuart Adamson was troubled back then. A sad loss.

I will pump up "Fields of Fire", "In a Big Country", "Wonderland" and "King of Emotion" on the way home tonight!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

One of the best live bands I've ever seen

Must have seen them a dozen times in the 80's

He's missed

Walter Kidd

Having played football with the Big Man, I miss him every day.

A true friend and a great, great man. Dunfermline has never been the same since he went.

RIP Mate. See you when I get there.

He was one of the best singer around. Seen Big Country live loads of times..

Chance and fields of fire are some of my favourite songs.

Had a wee chinwag with Jim Leishman today and the conversation about Stuart lasted at least half an hour,we were both good friends of Stuart.Leish asked me to post a bit on the Big Country messageboard for him,which is now done.

Get yourself over tomorrow night it may well be a very goodnight.

Walter Kidd
Had a wee chinwag with Jim Leishman today and the conversation about Stuart lasted at least half an hour,we were both good friends of Stuart.Leish asked me to post a bit on the Big Country messageboard for him,which is now done.

Get yourself over tomorrow night it may well be a very goodnight.

Unfortunately I've got the wee man tomorrow Eggo, as the wife is out with her mates up Dunfermline. I'll tell her to pop in and buy you a drink though. She is off the swally as we are expecting child again in October.

Take it easy mate.

Sean

I seen Big Country live at the Playhouse , think it was Hogmany 1983/4

I was in the front row with my girlfriend at the time

It was live over the bells on BBC 2

Used to que up the night before tickets went on sale

Great days Great band

RIP

Unfortunately I've got the wee man tomorrow Eggo, as the wife is out with her mates up Dunfermline. I'll tell her to pop in and buy you a drink though. She is off the swally as we are expecting child again in October.

Take it easy mate.

Sean

Bring the wee man with you,hes probably taller than me:)

Nelly Terraces

The Skids, live at the Odeon Edinburgh October 1980. My 1st ever gig. Still have the ticket (?2.50). I was only 13. Freckin magic. Never forget it.

Met him when I was a laddie after a Big Country gig. Nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet, had loadsa time for the fans, signing posters, getting pics taken etc, and was just a down to earth geezer. Taken away far too young - tragic.

RIP Stuart. Will blast out a bit of Skids in your honour tomorrow.

The Skids, live at the Odeon Edinburgh October 1980. My 1st ever gig. Still have the ticket (?2.50). I was only 13. Freckin magic. Never forget it.

Met him when I was a laddie after a Big Country gig. Nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet, had loadsa time for the fans, signing posters, getting pics taken etc, and was just a down to earth geezer. Taken away far too young - tragic.

RIP Stuart. Will blast out a bit of Skids in your honour tomorrow.

Was there also,and you could not be anymore right about Stuart..a truly genuine ordinary punter,one of the boys.

I used to jump about with the Skids in the early days[cinderella rockefellers,stirling uni,isle of skye hotel in perth etc] 4 of the band and 4 helpers in a Transit.I was the official beer can opener and badge go getter[gilzeans near waverley].

Remained friends to the end and miss the banter about football and other things etc.

Nelly Terraces
Was there also,and you could not be anymore right about Stuart..a truly genuine ordinary punter,one of the boys.

I used to jump about with the Skids in the early days[cinderella rockefellers,stirling uni,isle of skye hotel in perth etc] 4 of the band and 4 helpers in a Transit.I was the official beer can opener and badge go getter[gilzeans near waverley].

Remained friends to the end and miss the banter about football and other things etc.

A coupla older mates went to a gig at, I kid you not, Stewarts Melville school, way back, prob '77. You may've been at that one mate!

Haha, sounds like yer avergae rock band - everybody squashed into the back of a transit! Sounds like a good laugh. Bet you've got some crackin memories!

I used to get my Hearts badges done by Gilzean at his shop (top of the steps), 50p a pop for one of the big ones. Quality. I still have 3 or 4 original Skids badges I used to buy them at Alans records at Tollx. Also still have th 'absolute game' plastic tour badge from that gig.

Have a good one tomorrow chief. Remember the good times and the laughs you obvioulsy had with a really top fella.

Walter Kidd
Bring the wee man with you,hes probably taller than me:)

I wish. He'd probably get us barred though and he's only 3.

A coupla older mates went to a gig at, I kid you not, Stewarts Melville school, way back, prob '77. You may've been at that one mate!

Haha, sounds like yer avergae rock band - everybody squashed into the back of a transit! Sounds like a good laugh. Bet you've got some crackin memories!

I used to get my Hearts badges done by Gilzean at his shop (top of the steps), 50p a pop for one of the big ones. Quality. I still have 3 or 4 original Skids badges I used to buy them at Alans records at Tollx. Also still have th 'absolute game' plastic tour badge from that gig.

Have a good one tomorrow chief. Remember the good times and the laughs you obvioulsy had with a really top fella.

Some great memories,some not for mere mortals ears though,if you know what I mean.

One of my favourites was going to the offsales during an afternoon sound check and buying Joe Strummer a carry oot...Bottle of Smirnoff and a big jar of fresh orange,which we shared and he also gave me a fiver for going.[loads of money then].The Clash and the Skids were big buddies,isnt it strange that the two front men both passed away young.

As for the badges,if you have one that says "The Skids are Alright" it may be one of mine!

Nelly Terraces
Some great memories,some not for mere mortals ears though,if you know what I mean.

One of my favourites was going to the offsales during an afternoon sound check and buying Joe Strummer a carry oot...Bottle of Smirnoff and a big jar of fresh orange,which we shared and he also gave me a fiver for going.[loads of money then].The Clash and the Skids were big buddies,isnt it strange that the two front men both passed away young.

As for the badges,if you have one that says "The Skids are Alright" it may be one of mine!

Sounds like happy days all round. A fiver back then was a fortune;)! Don't have that badge, though will look the ones I do have and pin one on my jacket in respect for tomorrrow.

Sounds like happy days all round. A fiver back then was a fortune;)! Don't have that badge, though will look the ones I do have and pin one on my jacket in respect for tomorrrow.

Happy days indeed:)

A fiver was a fortune then,considering it was only 30p a pint:eek:

Happy days indeed:)

A fiver was a fortune then,considering it was only 30p a pint:eek:

The good old days when a half was dearer than a pint.Can still remember the anger when a pint reached the 50p mark.:)

Back onto the Skids.What was the lp that had the bad production.Spoilt what could have been a classic lp(Olympian or something like that:confused:).

Sure it got another release with new production but the damage was done.

Can also remember the brilliant Yankee Dollar(ep?) with All The Young Dudes on it.Brilliant band.With a brilliant frontman.(Jobson)

The good old days when a half was dearer than a pint.Can still remember the anger when a pint reached the 50p mark.:)

Back onto the Skids.What was the lp that had the bad production.Spoilt what could have been a classic lp(Olympian or something like that:confused:).

Sure it got another release with new production but the damage was done.

Can also remember the brilliant Yankee Dollar(ep?) with All The Young Dudes on it.Brilliant band.With a brilliant frontman.(Jobson)

Days in Europa was the album!

Days in Europa was the album!

Cheers thats the one.Some brilliant tunes spoilt.Just shows you what can happen when turning the wrong knobs.:):eek:

Cheers thats the one.Some brilliant tunes spoilt.Just shows you what can happen when turning the wrong knobs.:):eek:

Just remember the good stuff,because it really was good stuff:)

the general
Just remember the good stuff,because it really was good stuff:)

as posted before,I met Stu through my pal Hazel who worked in Tappers - well remember the day, before a Dumfy game, when he came into the Tynie Armst to see me - caused a real still in the boozer.even though he was on the wagon at the time he was a great laugh and took any slagging very well (and indeed dished it out too )

RIP BIG MAN

as posted before,I met Stu through my pal Hazel who worked in Tappers - well remember the day, before a Dumfy game, when he came into the Tynie Armst to see me - caused a real still in the boozer.even though he was on the wagon at the time he was a great laugh and took any slagging very well (and indeed dished it out too )

RIP BIG MAN

Hazel Izatt...never seen her for a few years now! Think shes still in Rosyth with a gaggle o' bairns now:)

the general
Hazel Izatt...never seen her for a few years now! Think shes still in Rosyth with a gaggle o' bairns now:)

and her equally radge sister Kerry lol yip .. phoned her a couple of years ago to see if she was out to play but she had just had her 2nd bairn and was grounded.how the flighty have fallen!!

and her equally radge sister Kerry lol yip .. phoned her a couple of years ago to see if she was out to play but she had just had her 2nd bairn and was grounded.how the flighty have fallen!!

They were a good crowd to go for a bevvy with though,ill give them that;)

the general
They were a good crowd to go for a bevvy with though,ill give them that;)

understatement of the year

what was Kerry's boyfriend called again? good wee fitba player but had a silly un macho nickname ! if you ever see him tell him I am asking for him ... great lad !

the mum Anne was as bad .. ran a b&b where the young players bided - she told a few good Georgie O'boyle stories but then you all did

understatement of the year

what was Kerry's boyfriend called again? good wee fitba player but had a silly un macho nickname ! if you ever see him tell him I am asking for him ... great lad !

the mum Anne was as bad .. ran a b&b where the young players bided - she told a few good Georgie O'boyle stories but then you all did

Ann and Tam ran the b+b in Woodmill area and moved to Rosyth.

Cant remember his nickname,but his 2nd names Carnegie.

George O'Boyle...had many a good night out with him :confused:

Hard to believe he'd be 50 today. And hard to believe it's more than six years since he died. I've always thought the story of how he died was so full of loneliness.

May he rest in peace. :sad:

CompleteIdiot

I have always wondered what the philosophy behind making guitars make sound like skirling bagpipes was? It worked. Geniuses seem to die young.

CompleteIdiot
I was reading this earlier and I thought it was interesting. The opening paragraph is about that "bagpipe" sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Adamson

Thanks. That's really interesting. It sounds like it took a lot of work and thought to create that sound. It is unique.

I may have to look out my Restless Natives VHS. The "We could go into hiding in Penicuik" line still sends me into fits of laughter to this day.

Thanks. That's really interesting. It sounds like it took a lot of work and thought to create that sound. It is unique.

I may have to look out my Restless Natives VHS. The "We could go into hiding in Penicuik" line still sends me into fits of laughter to this day.

Stuart once told me a very strange thing about doing the music score for that film,it actually changed his life.

Id like to share it but it was told in confidence.

Good laugh though,the film!

Walter Kidd

Is Big Jobby up?

He was very complimentary of you in an interview I read lately. AV Toi boys eh. You'll never take the Divit Young Team!

Have a good night tonight Eggo, raise a glass for the big man for me. Tappie Toories will be buzzing just like the old days with Stuart behind the bar. I still see him behind there every time I am in there, very sad.

Nelly Terraces

Changed my siggy for today. Sure to be a top night out tonight in the mans honour.

Did anyone see The Skids when they got back together last year - I heard they were meant to be pretty good! Jobbo was still as enthusiastic as ever! Really great touch they got Stu's son to play with them. Brilliant. Didn't Jobbo say that every time he looked at him on stage he thought it was Stu was next to him.

Walter Kidd
Changed my siggy for today. Sure to be a top night out tonight in the mans honour.

Did anyone see The Skids when they got back together last year - I heard they were meant to be pretty good! Jobbo was still as enthusiastic as ever! Really great touch they got Stu's son to play with them. Brilliant. Didn't Jobbo say that every time he looked at him on stage he thought it was Stu was next to him.

They were awesome Nells. I saw them in the Glen Pavillion, Dunfy. Never went to T in the Park but heard they were brilliant there as well.

Bet you didn't know Jobby was a Jambo. He used to go with Eggo and a few other nut nuts.

Nelly Terraces
They were awesome Nells. I saw them in the Glen Pavillion, Dunfy. Never went to T in the Park but heard they were brilliant there as well.

Bet you didn't know Jobby was a Jambo. He used to go with Eggo and a few other nut nuts.

Wished I'd been at that. Heard it was meant to be spot on. Seen a bit of footage of them at T, and they were great.

Ha, didn't know that mate, always a man of taste was Jobson! Lives in Edinburgh, they were shooting his next film near my work the other day - New Town Killers it's called. I've seen his 1st film, 16 Years of Alcohol, great movie, fairly pertinent when you think of Stu's battle wi the bottle, went to the premier in the film fest and Jobbo was there, top bloke.

The lp's will be blasting out at NT Mansions tonight.

Simon Mayo just played Chance on Radio 2 in tribute.

I like Simon Mayo, much better than Ken Bruce.

Guest casper
I seen Big Country live at the Playhouse , think it was Hogmany 1983/4

I was in the front row with my girlfriend at the time

It was live over the bells on BBC 2

Used to que up the night before tickets went on sale

Great days Great band

RIP

Me and a couple of mates camped out overnight to buy tickets for that concert. It was a Friday night and we spent the evening drinking before going to the Playhouse about midnight with a carryout.

Eventually crashed out on the steps down the side of the Playhouse and we were woken up about 7am with many of the people who had arrived after us charging to the front up the stairs and trampling on us. After giving them some abuse we decided not to stay until the doors opened and went to Jims Inn for "breakfast" and then onto the train to see the Jambos playing rangers at hunbox (1-1?).

A real lost weekend and after all that we got tickets the following week because they didn't sell out right away.

Great band I saw many times.

RIP SA

Nelly Terraces
Me and a couple of mates camped out overnight to buy tickets for that concert. It was a Friday night and we spent the evening drinking before going to the Playhouse about midnight with a carryout.

Eventually crashed out on the steps down the side of the Playhouse and we were woken up about 7am with many of the people who had arrived after us charging to the front up the stairs and trampling on us. After giving them some abuse we decided not to stay until the doors opened and went to Jims Inn for "breakfast" and then onto the train to see the Jambos playing rangers at hunbox (1-1?).

A real lost weekend and after all that we got tickets the following week because they didn't sell out right away.

Great band I saw many times.

RIP SA

Great story mate!

I saw BC a few times at the Playhouse, deffo '83, they played 2 gigs there back to back if I recall. Didn't go to that New Years one though. I remember the days of having to camp overnight at the Playhouse to get tickets, SLF etc. Happy days as a youngster!

Richard and me go way back,not just with the Skids,with the day we turned him in to a Jambo...what a story that is.One day if you meet me,ask me about it:)

When interviewed he rambles on about his Celtic supporting days,but we changed his path in life when we "persuaded" him he WAS going to be a Jambo.Great memories!

Just heard that members of the Skids/Big Country will be playing an acoustic set in Tappies in Dunfermline tonight:)

Nelly Terraces

That will be some night there tonight. Would love to've made it actually, but have other plans.

davemclaren

DIdn't get into the Skids much ( I just missed the punk thing. ;) ) but I though Big Country were an excellent band. Heard some Big Country music blasting out of a pub up Fountainbridge as a I walked past it last night. I must get some on to my Ipod!! :)

DIdn't get into the Skids much ( I just missed the punk thing. ;) ) but I though Big Country were an excellent band. Heard some Big Country music blasting out of a pub up Fountainbridge as a I walked past it last night. I must get some on to my Ipod!! :)

And rightly so!

Its only when you have a good listen that you realise what a good band they are!

http://www.bigcountry.co.uk

Best Album then - The Crossing or The Seer? :)

I'll say the Seer as I was a VIP at Ingliston on that tour...thats the only reason.Because The Crossing is gid tae:)

Archived