Under 19's

tyniearrms

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is definitley a hearts game (probably the 17s) maybe against the 19s thats just what I heard! It kicks off at 11 but I dont know where

Ford Prentice

Any news on who's playing for the wee Jambos against Spartans? Lost track of which loanees are due back when. May be too early for any of them. Handy for me though so will go along.

Hearts immediately respond & have goal ruled out for offside

Spartans bench constantly moaning at the ref & linesman - some of what they are saying is too much

Footballfirst

It was a decent performance by Hearts youngsters against the EoS side, with only one U19 (Calum Tapping) in the side. The rest were U18, U17 and a couple of U16s.

Chances were about even with Jack Hamilton making 3 or 4 good stops, while the Spartans keeper made a couple of saves and watched a couple of good efforts narrowly miss the target. Best for Hearts were Jack Hamilton, Callum Paterson and Sam Nicholson.

Fraser Mullen, Brad McKay and Billy King were all training with the 1st team today.

Good game.

Really interesting to see how a young 19s side would cope against a more physical and obviously mature Spartans side - although Spartans also gave a run out to a couple of their U 17s at right back and left mid.

First half some of the football and passing was excellent, and a great goal for the 19s with Tapping weighting a superb ball inside the full back for Nicholson to run onto, compose himself and tuck the ball beyond the keeper.

Second half Spartans switched their front men with Keith McLeod leading the line from his first half position on the right of midfield, and they equalised from a set piece - unsurprisingly given their advantage in height across the pitch, when Hoskins rose to nod the ball beyond Hamilton.

Hearts kept playing their passing game with Tapping, captain for the day showing a good deal of composure on the ball - and Nicholson must have thought he had a second when what looked like a marginal offside ruled it out.

Standouts for me were Calum Paterson at the back who looks a prospect, Hamilton in goals who had a couple of good saves and was not phased by the physical challenges, Tapping, and Nicholson - with a special mention for Angus Beith who at age 15 played the entire game at left back and the the left side of central mid.

Jambof3tornado

Is Tapping likely to get near the 1st team this season? Sounds like a good prospect from what has been said about him.

Ford Prentice

Thought the wee number 3 (Beith?) looked promising. Played left back first hour then moved into central midfield. Good close control and good vision.

Not everything came off for Tapping today but when it did he showed he could play, and he always tried to make himself available - so for me at least, he short of being ready for the first team - not least physically but who knows what he can do if he can step up and then get some first team exposure.

Jambof3tornado

Not everything came off for Tapping today but when it did he showed he could play, and he always tried to make himself available - so for me at least, he short of being ready for the first team - not least physically but who knows what he can do if he can step up and then get some first team exposure.

Who is he similar to build wise,I have only seen photos of the lad?

Who is he similar to build wise,I have only seen photos of the lad?

Difficult to say against unfamiliar players but around 5 9 - 5 -10 - maybe as tall as Mehdi, but still quite slight for the SPL environment. Work in progress I'd say.

The entire team looked pretty young tbh.

Malinga the Swinga

Good game.

Really interesting to see how a young 19s side would cope against a more physical and obviously mature Spartans side - although Spartans also gave a run out to a couple of their U 17s at right back and left mid.

First half some of the football and passing was excellent, and a great goal for the 19s with Tapping weighting a superb ball inside the full back for Nicholson to run onto, compose himself and tuck the ball beyond the keeper.

Second half Spartans switched their front men with Keith McLeod leading the line from his first half position on the right of midfield, and they equalised from a set piece - unsurprisingly given their advantage in height across the pitch, when Hoskins rose to nod the ball beyond Hamilton.

Hearts kept playing their passing game with Tapping, captain for the day showing a good deal of composure on the ball - and Nicholson must have thought he had a second when what looked like a marginal offside ruled it out.

Standouts for me were Calum Paterson at the back who looks a prospect, Hamilton in goals who had a couple of good saves and was not phased by the physical challenges, Tapping, and Nicholson - with a special mention for Angus Beith who at age 15 played the entire game at left back and the the left side of central mid.

I saw him play primary football around 7 years ago and he was absolute stand out for Buckstone. Best schoolboy I ever saw play in all 3/4 years of Saturday morning games. Played with head up, passed with either foot and scored a barrow load. He was with Hearts even then ,and its great to see someone still playing and he looks like he might make the grade. Still hard for him to make breakthrough, and hopefully he will continue to progress.

I saw him play primary football around 7 years ago and he was absolute stand out for Buckstone. Best schoolboy I ever saw play in all 3/4 years of Saturday morning games. Played with head up, passed with either foot and scored a barrow load. He was with Hearts even then ,and its great to see someone still playing and he looks like he might make the grade. Still hard for him to make breakthrough, and hopefully he will continue to progress.

That's the Buckstone way - raised to play football the proper way

Randle P McMurphy

I agree with the majority of posters that Nicholson, Tapping and Paterson were best for Hearts. I also thought that Spartans left back had a very good game.

Sam Nicholson took his goal well and also showed a great attitude in keeping coming back after several hard challenges. Calum Tapping always wanted the ball and although everything didn't come off for him he still looks a good prospect. Calum Paterson has the lot, pace, power, skill, will to win, he is also built like a brick shithouse. If he looks after himself and keeps learning I am sure we will see him in the first team.

The football the team play is easy on the eye with lots of passing and movement. The young guys also trusted each other in playing it out from the back, passing to team mates who are marked but trusting them to have the technique to control it and lay it off again.

The future is bright, the future is maroon.thumbsup.gif

I agree with the majority of posters that Nicholson, Tapping and Paterson were best for Hearts. I also thought that Spartans left back had a very good game.

Sam Nicholson took his goal well and also showed a great attitude in keeping coming back after several hard challenges. Calum Tapping always wanted the ball and although everything didn't come off for him he still looks a good prospect. Calum Paterson has the lot, pace, power, skill, will to win, he is also built like a brick shithouse. If he looks after himself and keeps learning I am sure we will see him in the first team.

The football the team play is easy on the eye with lots of passing and movement. The young guys also trusted each other in playing it out from the back, passing to team mates who are marked but trusting them to have the technique to control it and lay it off again.

Must agree with above,watched all three playing this season,sam has fitted in perfectly with a corker of a volley a few weeks ago the two callums won it for us,against sellick theres a wee pattern here tappy good center .paterson should definetly go all the way, remeber it is not just one or two individials but a first class squad including darren murray and co.the whole team are playing great footie .there a credit to themselves.the future is bright the future is maroon.

jamboinglasgow

I thought a very young team handled themselves well against Spartans. Would agree with what you said above. Both full backs (McDonald and Beith) impressed me. I also think it is good to see the back four doing well considering that two players are 15, one is a striker who is learning to be a center back, and other must be 16. I was also impressed with how Gary Oliver, he handled the lone striker role well against some huge center backs, linking well with the wingers and the midfield as well as attacking the goal himself.

Callum Patterson impressed me, I have been sceptical at the start of the season with the idea of him being used as a center back, but he is growing into the role with each game, and you can see the logic in Darren Murray's decision that he could be a great center back. He can tackle and header, and his positional sense is getting better with each game. Also it is a clever idea to develop a player who is good with the ball into a center back as the number of times he took the ball from the defence and pushed forward turning defence into instant attack was impressive. I do think it will take time before he will be a first team ready center back but early signs are starting to look promising.

To see the team play with so many new people and cope while many of the teams top players (Holt, Walker, Smith, McHattie, Kane, Tobin, McKay, Mullen, Stewart and B. King) are out of team shows that future is still bright. Of course it is a friendly and caution is also needed but it was great to see some of the next generation show their potential.

As FF, who was the Trialist?

Gregory House M.D.

Angus Beith :rofl: please say the Angus parts just a nickname

Footballfirst

Angus Beith :rofl: please say the Angus parts just a nickname

No his nickname is "Goose" or "Guus" after the "gus" part of his name

I thought a very young team handled themselves well against Spartans. Would agree with what you said above. Both full backs (McDonald and Beith) impressed me. I also think it is good to see the back four doing well considering that two players are 15, one is a striker who is learning to be a center back, and other must be 16. I was also impressed with how Gary Oliver, he handled the lone striker role well against some huge center backs, linking well with the wingers and the midfield as well as attacking the goal himself.

Callum Patterson impressed me, I have been sceptical at the start of the season with the idea of him being used as a center back, but he is growing into the role with each game, and you can see the logic in Darren Murray's decision that he could be a great center back. He can tackle and header, and his positional sense is getting better with each game. Also it is a clever idea to develop a player who is good with the ball into a center back as the number of times he took the ball from the defence and pushed forward turning defence into instant attack was impressive. I do think it will take time before he will be a first team ready center back but early signs are starting to look promising.

To see the team play with so many new people and cope while many of the teams top players (Holt, Walker, Smith, McHattie, Kane, Tobin, McKay, Mullen, Stewart and B. King) are out of team shows that future is still bright. Of course it is a friendly and caution is also needed but it was great to see some of the next generation show their potential.

As FF, who was the Trialist?

I think the trialist is Stanley Porthouse. Someone posted that name on the U19s Wiki page a couple of weeks ago but I removed it. I assume it was done because he was on trial with us. I'm pretty sure it's the same lad they had on trial at the beginning of the season, but he wasn't as good as those we already had at the club, so he wasn't signed. He is/was with Chalrton Athletic. He's actually a striker and not a right back as he played when he came on as sub on Saturday. I think he is 17 at the moment.

I spoke to John Murray just before Xmas and he said that it is looking increasingly like the U19s will be replaced next season with an U20 league, playing on Tuesday nights. The top academy level will remain at U17, but it seems that it will become a competitive league, possibly with a cup competition too.

I think the trialist is Stanley Porthouse. Someone posted that name on the U19s Wiki page a couple of weeks ago but I removed it. I assume it was done because he was on trial with us. I'm pretty sure it's the same lad they had on trial at the beginning of the season, but he wasn't as good as those we already had at the club, so he wasn't signed. He is/was with Chalrton Athletic. He's actually a striker and not a right back as he played when he came on as sub on Saturday. I think he is 17 at the moment.

I spoke to John Murray just before Xmas and he said that it is looking increasingly like the U19s will be replaced next season with an U20 league, playing on Tuesday nights. The top academy level will remain at U17, but it seems that it will become a competitive league, possibly with a cup competition too.

I think we were both surprised when he came on at RB! Looked a very big & athletic lad but didn't have much time to show anything!

Was impressed with Paterson - he liked to bring the ball out of defence almost as Phil Jones does - it's good but he needs to be careful as loosing the ball there can be a problem

McGee impressed too - baring in mind he's only 15! Very impressive & looks older than he is. Beith & Oliver did well but you can tell they are still very young!

I think the u20s is a goo idea, I just fear 17s to 20s is too much. Why not have 16s, competitive 18s & then the 20s with say 3 overage players?!?! Would help all players. Interesting that FF mentioned the u20s will go ahead on Tuesdays

so a jump from 17's to 20's?? seems pretty big and surely will leave a very big squad made up of 17,18,19 and also overage players!!

Big fear would be second year 17's getting signed but potentially no game time- can't be good surely. This team that played on Saturday looks like a team that DM may have in his head for the future but would be a big ask for 16/17 years to compete at under 20 level? But hey he might think they are good enough and maybe this is the way forward to get them into the 1st team.

jamboinglasgow

Seen Jordan Morton has been playing well at Cowdenbeath, is he one that is being propelled into the 1st team this month?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision2/4034033/Spotlight-on-all-the-Division-Two-action.html

Was just saying this to Blue Brazil fans on Pie and Bovril. Hearts asked for him to come back and also asked for him not to play in any Scottish cup games, so it seems they have been impressed with him. But at the moment we have 5 wingers in front of him in the team (Templeton, Driver, Taouil, Suso and Novikovas.) I sure Driver will leave this month. So it would require at least another player to leave before he could be seen as being in contention. I do think we will cash in on Templeton, that would open up the left wing for him (with Novi being a left winger and the other two both right wingers.) I think Hearts have taken back all the players away on loan as they are still to see what happens in January, near the end of the month, as a picture becomes clear who has stayed and who has gone, then Hearts will put certain players away on loan and/or put some in to replace those who have left.

Anyone know if the 19's are playing this weekend,if so where and when??

Next league match not scheduled till 4th Feb, home V Motherwell.

cheers for that -just thought there may be a friendly or 2 before Feb?

Nothing confirmed but reckon there will be. Sure FF will update us as and when

jamboinglasgow

How is John Murray settling into his new role?

Footballfirst

How is John Murray settling into his new role?

The last time I actually spoke to him was before xmas at the U19/U17 bounce game. At that point he was happy to get out the office for a while to get away from the phone. I can't see that his lot will have improved since then.

Footballfirst

Game against Tynecastle organised at Riccarton tomorrow with a noon kick-off.

There is a possibilty of a second game against East Fife. That is dependent on whether or not the Falkirk v East Fife game goes ahead after storm damage. A safety inspection is due to take place at Falkirk Stadium today. If the game is off Robbo is trying to arganise a bounce game with Hearts. If that is the case, then Darren Murray will take a squad over to Methil and Chris Smith will use a younger squad for the Tynecastle game.

Game against Tynecastle organised at Riccarton tomorrow with a noon kick-off.

There is a possibilty of a second game against East Fife. That is dependent on whether or not the Falkirk v East Fife game goes ahead after storm damage. A safety inspection is due to take place at Falkirk Stadium today. If the game is off Robbo is trying to arganise a bounce game with Hearts. If that is the case, then Darren Murray will take a squad over to Methil and Chris Smith will use a younger squad for the Tynecastle game.

How inconvenient?! The one day Dundee are on the TV this season too

Footballfirst

Is the game at Riccarton defo on?

At lunchtime today it was. The game will probably be played on one of the training pitches rather than the normal U19 pitch. The game is against Tynecastle Amateurs (formerly Tybnecastle Star?). I believe they are now part of the Tyncastle FC set up these days and sit between their U21 and Senior EoS sides

Archived