Man U v Barca. How will it go?

Craigieboy

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Evans who is at Sunderland looks like a good defender too.

I think Man United might end this season without a trophy - even though they play the best football - because they lack 1 player in the squad. A physical striker who could allow them to change to a longer game if needed.

Agree.

They have signed a striker called Manucho on a pre contract, he's currently on loan at Panathaniakos and was absolutely amazing in the African nations. He could be the final piece of the jigsaw.

Imaging Torres at Utd. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ryan Gosling
Evans who is at Sunderland looks like a good defender too.

I think Man United might end this season without a trophy - even though they play the best football - because they lack 1 player in the squad. A physical striker who could allow them to change to a longer game if needed.

They have Ronaldo to do that. Just put on another midfielder and put Ronaldo and Rooney up front.

They have Ronaldo to do that. Just put on another midfielder and put Ronaldo and Rooney up front.

Ronaldo is fantastic in the air. But only really from corners/free kicks.

Saha should be able to do the job - but he appears to be as brave as Karipidis/Pinilla combined.:)

Ryan Gosling
Ronaldo is fantastic in the air. But only really from corners/free kicks.

Saha should be able to do the job - but he appears to be as brave as Karipidis/Pinilla combined.:)

Saha's not strong enough.

I still think they should have kept Smith for that role.

Commander Harris
You just need to look at how well Hargreaves and Park (someone I forgot) played last night as well without Ronaldo or Rooney on the pitch. They have enough quality to see it through I think. They'd need to bottle it as opposed to tire out.

Park is an excellent player, often overlooked. He never makes a mistake, always retains possession, and never seems to panic. Didn't see last nights game but I thought he was tremendous in the first leg.

Ryan Gosling
Park is an excellent player, often overlooked. He never makes a mistake, always retains possession, and never seems to panic. Didn't see last nights game but I thought he was tremendous in the first leg.

His header back for Rooney was excellent, and the run to set up Rooney at 'Boro was tip top.

He was the standout for PSV during their good season in the Champs League.

Would walk into most other sides I think.

Of the SKY four, I do have a leaning towards Liverpool - but more than anything, that's probably because they've been the longest without winning the title. Domination of any sport bores me - so much so that during the 1990s, I became the ABU par excellence, switching from Chelsea to Blackburn to Newcastle to Liverpool to Arsenal in the desperate hope that someone, anyone might beat Man U. It was the same when it came to Stephen Hendry's endless run of titles at the Crucible!

But United finally won me over (and maybe I finally started growing up) with that comeback win in Turin in 1999: it was the best performance I'd ever seen from an English club side, one that prompted Brazil coach Wanderley Luxemburgo to declare the following morning that his team had a lot to learn from Man Utd. I've never hated them since, though have certainly been happy when either Arsenal or Chelsea have had their periods at the top (I've never found it within myself to hate Chelsea, and have always found the "no history" argument used against them to be pretty risible); and when you look at the current United side - I defy any lover of football to hate them. The stuff they're playing is just sublime at times, and arguably the best ever seen in this country.

Got to disagree with this Shaun.

Utd are playing some terriffic stuff, there is no denying it. But i feel they are overly reliant on certain players, specifically Ronaldo and Rooney. In my view the best football team this country has seen in my lifetime is the 87/88 Liverpool side. I dont think the utd team comes close, they are hugely dependent on individual talent. I'd even go as far as to say that they're not even the best footballing team this season. I'd give that accolade to Arsenal - when they play to their best no one can get near them, the perfect example being their masterclass in the San Siro against Milan, a performance that hasnt and will not be matched this season.

Utd will more than likely end up champions with a possible double as well but its a bit of an overstatement to suggest they're the best ever football team. For sheer football Liverpool's class of 87/88 will take some beating and imo utd are a fair bit behind them.

shaun.lawson
Got to disagree with this Shaun.

Utd are playing some terriffic stuff, there is no denying it. But i feel they are overly reliant on certain players, specifically Ronaldo and Rooney. In my view the best football team this country has seen in my lifetime is the 87/88 Liverpool side. I dont think the utd team comes close, they are hugely dependent on individual talent. I'd even go as far as to say that they're not even the best footballing team this season. I'd give that accolade to Arsenal - when they play to their best no one can get near them, the perfect example being their masterclass in the San Siro against Milan, a performance that hasnt and will not be matched this season.

Utd will more than likely end up champions with a possible double as well but its a bit of an overstatement to suggest they're the best ever football team. For sheer football Liverpool's class of 87/88 will take some beating and imo utd are a fair bit behind them.

Oh, that 87/8 team was something else - and their 5-0 demolition of Nottingham Forest is seared on the memories of those fortunate enough to witness it. That was Liverpool's absolute peak - but I'm not convinced they'd beat this current Man Utd side. Because of Arsenal's style being so liquid and aesthetic, I think the football being played by United at the moment has often been overlooked: almost as though they're just a classically direct English team, with Arsenal a lot prettier. But I don't think that's fair, to be honest - Man Utd have goals all over the team, and while you could argue they're dependent on certain individuals, weren't Liverpool dependent on Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge themselves?

It's worth remembering too that Arsenal's sensational display in the San Siro was against opponents in total decline, who've basically had it as a team. Would Arsenal have been able to do that against better quality opposition? The jury's out on that one. It could be that Arsenal go on to dominate English and European football in two or three years' time, and lay a real claim to being the greatest seen within these shores - but at present, they're still a work in progress, with real question marks over them in crunch games at the business end of the season.

Oh, that 87/8 team was something else - and their 5-0 demolition of Nottingham Forest is seared on the memories of those fortunate enough to witness it. That was Liverpool's absolute peak - but I'm not convinced they'd beat this current Man Utd side. Because of Arsenal's style being so liquid and aesthetic, I think the football being played by United at the moment has often been overlooked: almost as though they're just a classically direct English team, with Arsenal a lot prettier. But I don't think that's fair, to be honest - Man Utd have goals all over the team, and while you could argue they're dependent on certain individuals, weren't Liverpool dependent on Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge themselves?

It's worth remembeing too that Arsenal's sensational display in the San Siro was against opponents in total decline, who've basically had it as a team. Would Arsenal have been able to do that against better quality opposition? The jury's out on that one. It could be that Arsenal go on to dominate English and European football in two or three years' time, and lay a real claim to being the greatest seen within these shores - but at present, they're still a work in progress, with real question marks over them in crunch games at the business end of the season.

I'm not taking anything away from utd, they are a superb team. it's just i dont see them playing the style of football that liverpool did and arsenal do. its so easy on the eye, beautiful to watch. Arsenal's domination of Milan was total, for almost the entire 90 minutes. I've never seen a match where one team was in such control, albeit against opponents who have seen better days. Arsenal arent to blamed for Milans failings, in fact it says a lot for Milan's character and class that they held out for so long. Is it not a little churlish to claim arsenal were only so good because their opponents arent as formidable as they used to be?

Regarding liverpool of 88 v todays utd, the more i think about it the more i think that liverpool are FAR superior to utd. Their passing and moving was sublime, they had star players to match anything utd currently have (Barnes and Beardsley) and they had class in abundance. I dont think its a slur on utd to say they are more direct, on the contrary i reckon its their ability to get from one end of the pitch to the other quicker than anyone else thats got them where they are today. It's just simply a statement of fact that both arsenal now and liverpool then are better to watch. I guess it comes down to who you would rather watch. For me it would be liverpool/arsenal over utd any day of the week.:thumb:

shaun.lawson
Arsenal try to score with style.

United just score.

"You keep the ball, we'll keep the title".

Messi, Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Henry.

2 out of 4 of them are injured.

Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Scholes, Giggs.

All fit atm.

Yes, that means Man Utd will win. Definitely.

A front 3 of Eto'o-Bojan-Henry is in no way capable of troubling Man Utd, ignoring the possibility of Messi returning. Don't think I'll bother watching it now, it's pointless when you already know who's going to win.

artfuldodger
I'm not taking anything away from utd, they are a superb team. it's just i dont see them playing the style of football that liverpool did and arsenal do. its so easy on the eye, beautiful to watch. Arsenal's domination of Milan was total, for almost the entire 90 minutes. I've never seen a match where one team was in such control, albeit against opponents who have seen better days. Arsenal arent to blamed for Milans failings, in fact it says a lot for Milan's character and class that they held out for so long. Is it not a little churlish to claim arsenal were only so good because their opponents arent as formidable as they used to be?

Regarding liverpool of 88 v todays utd, the more i think about it the more i think that liverpool are FAR superior to utd. Their passing and moving was sublime, they had star players to match anything utd currently have (Barnes and Beardsley) and they had class in abundance. I dont think its a slur on utd to say they are more direct, on the contrary i reckon its their ability to get from one end of the pitch to the other quicker than anyone else thats got them where they are today. It's just simply a statement of fact that both arsenal now and liverpool then are better to watch. I guess it comes down to who you would rather watch. For me it would be liverpool/arsenal over utd any day of the week.:thumb:

Was beardsley as good as ronaldo??

It's amazing how time clouds your judgement!

Out of the 88 squad maybe Barnes and Hansen would get into United's starting 11 (not sure who you could drop for either though!). A couple more might've got a few fleeting appearances here and there. ;)

It's impossible to compare. Standard of opposition, speed of the game, fitness levels...it's night and day!

Was beardsley as good as ronaldo??

Your bro will be right chuffed when he finds out his name's against that statement!

Keep up the good work! ;)

Dagger Is Back

Man U will win by at least 3 goals over the 2 legs. They will put that Barca defence under so much pressure that they'll buckle.

It will be a Chelsea/Man U final with Man U running out winners AET by 1 goal.

Yes, that means Man Utd will win. Definitely.

A front 3 of Eto'o-Bojan-Henry is in no way capable of troubling Man Utd, ignoring the possibility of Messi returning. Don't think I'll bother watching it now, it's pointless when you already know who's going to win.

Did I say that United were dead certs? No, but I think you'll find others did. Why not pull them up over their statements?

I merely pointed out that Ronaldinho and Messi were injured at the moment. Perhaps you shouldn't read so much into things in future.

loveofthegame

Want a Man U-'Pool final, with Utd winning, but i unfortunately think it'll be Chelski who make it through, and still fear they have every chance of stealing Utd's double.

I hate Chelski, and what they do aint pretty, but you cant knock that its effective

Can't see past Man U in this tie. They are absolutely phenomenal at the moment and as others have said, Barca are leaky at the back - they lost 2 to a far poorer Celtic team.

the game in the mid 80's was 3 yards slower than the game now,witness ronaldo in full flow with the ball now.............................

no way could the liverpool side of the mid 80's live with the modern day top sides perhaps a number of them could have adapted to the modern game but that is all conjecture........................

as for arsenal v man utd today,there is no contest imo.arsenal are superb in patches but manchester are far more ruthless and consistent..................

Walter Bishop

What a lot of single fish!

There is nobody in the Arsenal team or Liverpool 88 team that would improve Man Utd`s current first 11. Arsenal have over achieved big time this season and its now taking its toll, they lack killer instinct and have nobody able to produce a bit of magic to turn the game. Possesion doesnt win matches.

Barca's defence has been a bombscare this season and for some reason they have lost a bit of balance in the team over the last couple of season.

I am not sure if it is because they have been playing Henry on the wing or that Ronaldinho has lost his way but they certainly aren't like what they used to be. With the news Messi is fit it is a massive bonus for them and if they can get Eto'o firing on all cylinders then they could have a chance.

But I fully expect Man Utd to go to the Nou Camp get a score draw then beat them by 2+ goals at Old Trafford.

Chelsea v Liverpool? Snoozefest. Like Shaun.Lawson (I think) said Chelsea are away first so that will probably sneak them through.

Liverpool have a had a bit of luck over the last few years with many of their second legs being at home. It will be interesting to see what they do this time around.

I expect a Man Utd v Chelsea final. But I would like a Man Utd v Liverpool final.

What a lot of single fish!

There is nobody in the Arsenal team or Liverpool 88 team that would improve Man Utd`s current first 11. Arsenal have over achieved big time this season and its now taking its toll, they lack killer instinct and have nobody able to produce a bit of magic to turn the game. Possesion doesnt win matches.

I think you'll find that is single fish.

Fabregas is one of the finest central midfield players in the world, he is easily better than anyone utd have in that area.

I think people forget how good the liverpool side were. Ronaldo is obviously a unique talent but i'd take Barnes and Beardsley then over Rooney and Tevez now. Players like Mcmahon and Houghton in midfield had class in abundance and if you're telling me you'd rather have Ferdinand or Vidic over Hansen then i'd have to question your sanity. Hansen had more ability than those two put together.

I think you'll find that is single fish.

Fabregas is one of the finest central midfield players in the world, he is easily better than anyone utd have in that area.

I think people forget how good the liverpool side were. Ronaldo is obviously a unique talent but i'd take Barnes and Beardsley then over Rooney and Tevez now. Players like Mcmahon and Houghton in midfield had class in abundance and if you're telling me you'd rather have Ferdinand or Vidic over Hansen then i'd have to question your sanity. Hansen had more ability than those two put together.

There's a song somewhere on this forum, possibly even this thread, about Fabregas and Anderson. Says it all really. I haven't even mentioned Scholesy. Different league! A long way to go to get even close the the wee ginger one!

Seriously, Barnes and Beardsley over Rooney and Tevez??? You've been munching some Mexican cactus plant!

Houghton and McMahon against the current United midfield?...you're delerious! That needs no justification.

As I've already said, Hansen would make the team. But only for one of them. He wasn't that good.

There's a song somewhere on this forum, possibly even this thread, about Fabregas and Anderson. Says it all really. I haven't even mentioned Scholesy. Different league! A long way to go to get even close the the wee ginger one!

Seriously, Barnes and Beardsley over Rooney and Tevez??? You've been munching some Mexican cactus plant!

Houghton and McMahon against the current United midfield?...you're delerious! That needs no justification.

As I've already said, Hansen would make the team. But only for one of them. He wasn't that good.

I also wondered why Scholes wasn't mentioned. ;)

Fabregas is good but he is nowhere near one of the best in the world.

He still has a LOT to prove before he can be in contention for the best midfielder in the world.

Infact I'd say Gerrard is much better/more effective.

Geoff Kilpatrick

A lot depends on how fit the United defence is. At full-strength, United should win because they have more chance of keeping Barca out in the shootout the games will become than vice-versa.

That said, like last season, as long as whoever wins this semi goes on to win the trophy, I'll be content. Naturally I want United to win it but a United-scouse final would be horrendous to watch in terms of nerves, and that's despite Benitez's wonderful record against United!

Anderson over Fabregas? Dont think so.

Scholes? Maybe 5 years ago.

Hansen "wasnt that good"???? Were you even alive in the eighties?

I also wondered why Scholes wasn't mentioned. ;)

Fabregas is good but he is nowhere near one of the best in the world.

He still has a LOT to prove before he can be in contention for the best midfielder in the world.

Infact I'd say Gerrard is much better/more effective.

No chance.

Fabregas has been off the boil for 2 or 3 months but in every game he has played V Liverpool he has been a better player than Gerrard, he was even better than him last week.

In the 1-1 game V Liverpool at Anfield when he scored, Gerrard was chasing his shadow all game.

And he hardly has to prove himself, in the squad for Spain, over 150-200 appearances for Arsenal, Championsleague final and rated as the best in the world.

He would walk into anyones team and Anderson doesnt come close to him.

Walter Bishop
[/b]

No chance.

Fabregas has been off the boil for 2 or 3 months but in every game he has played V Liverpool he has been a better player than Gerrard, he was even better than him last week.

In the 1-1 game V Liverpool at Anfield when he scored, Gerrard was chasing his shadow all game.

And he hardly has to prove himself, in the squad for Spain, over 150-200 appearances for Arsenal, Championsleague final and rated as the best in the world.

Kearney you are either always at the wind up or you dont have a clue whatsoever.

Fabregas is a victim of the English media overhyping players playing in the premiership. Yes he is a good player but he is nowhere near world class YET. He does not have it in his locker to play akiller pass or produce a piece of magic to turn a game on its head, As for walking into anyone`s team i dont see where he could play in any of the other top 3 sides in the Premiership.

Chelsea - Makele,Lampard,Ballack,Essien.

Man Utd - Scholes,Anderson,Carrick,Hargreaves

Liverpool - Mascherano,Gerrard,Alonso.

He is IMO not a better player than any of these i have mentioned, he along with Adebayor is guilty of over achieving in the Media`s favourite team.

P.s. Gerrard has been the far better player every time they have met this season and he has been playing out of position!!!

Take of you Arseanal tinted specs.

Kearney you are either always at the wind up or you dont have a clue whatsoever.

Fabregas is a victim of the English media overhyping players playing in the premiership. Yes he is a good player but he is nowhere near world class YET. He does not have it in his locker to play akiller pass or produce a piece of magic to turn a game on its head, As for walking into anyone`s team i dont see where he could play in any of the other top 3 sides in the Premiership.

Chelsea - Makele,Lampard,Ballack,Essien.

Man Utd - Scholes,Anderson,Carrick,Hargreaves

Liverpool - Mascherano,Gerrard,Alonso.

He is IMO not a better player than any of these i have mentioned, he along with Adebayor is guilty of over achieving in the Media`s favourite team.

P.s. Gerrard has been the far better player every time they have met this season and he has been playing out of position!!!

Take of you Arseanal tinted specs.

I dont have Arsenal tinted specs on and how you can think Mascherrano is a better player than Fabregas shows you know nothing about the English league, hes average and 19 million? Haha!

You are on weed or something... Fabregas doesnt know how to play a killer pass? You have never watched Fabregas in your life then.

Another thing

Emmanuel Adebayour

Cesc Fabregas

Steven Gerrard

David James

Christiano Ronaldo

Fernando Torres

What do all these players have in common?

All up for POTY, only midfielder from your list is Gerrard in midfield up for the award.

So much for the others being better than Cesc.

You have NO clue about Fabregas, plays no killer passes? Hes one of the best passes in the legaue and look back to over the season before Xmas and check out the Killer passes he makes.

And a piece of magic and the goal V Milan aswell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idyIyTJinQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zk3vY-FVSE&feature=related

Watch them to see a real midfielder, your post is so full of s*** its unreal.

Doesnt play a killer pass and I suggest you watch an Arsenal game and watch Fabregas before you post so much delued nonsense.

Just to add youl love the 2nd video, so many signs of killer passes its brilliant, you have NO Clue jamiej29.

Walter Bishop

You are so naive.

I could post videos on all the players i have mentioned probably ten times the amount for Scholes,Gerrard etc but i wont waste my time. Fabregas is a good player as i previously said however he is not yet in the same class as a Gerrard,Scholes,Mascherano or a Lampard.

Mascherano is a great player and imo is one of the best midfielders in the world. Fabregas would not be in the top 10.

What has fabulous Fab won in his career? How many times has he come up with a lung bursting run, 30 yard last minute goal, wonderful free kick,game winning tackle???

Kearney open your eyes the world is full of great footballers that dont wear Arsenal shirts.

p.s. How is Fabregas doing on the trophy front this season?

[/b]

No chance.

He is nowhere near the best in the world! The evidence you give doesn't make him the best .... Djimmi Traore played in the Champs League final FFS!

If he is THAT good then how come Arsenals season is finished? If Arsenal are THAT good then how come their season is finished?

He's a good player. Nothing more nothing less.

Don't bother posting videos or I will just post countless videos of Gerrard scoring goals and winning Champions Leagues.

Take your Arsenal tinted specs off matey, it doesn't make you look good.

RockyBalboa
He is nowhere near the best in the world! The evidence you give doesn't make him the best .... Djimmi Traore played in the Champs League final FFS!

If he is THAT good then how come Arsenals season is finished? If Arsenal are THAT good then how come their season is finished?

Don't bother posting videos or I will just post countless videos of Gerrard scoring goals and winning Champions Leagues.

Fabregas is a quality player. Only Arsenal quality and not Manchester United quality.

Similar type of player to Keano in his day but nowhere near as good.

Fabregas is a good Premiership player, better than Mascherano IMO, he is still young, maybe one day he'll be one of the best, he will never be as good as Ronaldo etc.

Walter Bishop

Anderson showed in 30 mins today he WILL be a better player than Fabregas if he isnt already. What a talent!!!

Fabregas is quality, and is only still very young, so it is unfair to compare him to the likes of Gerrard and Lampard who have proved it over a sustained period, but imo, Fabregas will be better than both

I would say he is better than Anderson, but not by much as they are both class

I would say Fabregas is the reason Arsenal have done so well this year. He is the standout in that team. Adebayor flatters to deceive a lot of the time, and for a supposedly top class striker, he misses a lot of sitters! Fabregas had an unbelievable start to the season, and it is no surprise that Arsenal have struggled since he did too.

always a jambo

It should be a good game this one. I would like Barca to win it but they are not the team they once were.

Can't see Man U screwing this one up. They are on fire just now.

The Old Tolbooth

Should be a cracking 2 ties, hope Barca do the Mancs but really dont think Barca will have enough in their locker to do it.

Fabregas is quality, and is only still very young, so it is unfair to compare him to the likes of Gerrard and Lampard who have proved it over a sustained period, but imo, Fabregas will be better than both

I would say he is better than Anderson, but not by much as they are both class

I would say Fabregas is the reason Arsenal have done so well this year. He is the standout in that team. Adebayor flatters to deceive a lot of the time, and for a supposedly top class striker, he misses a lot of sitters! Fabregas had an unbelievable start to the season, and it is no surprise that Arsenal have struggled since he did too.

Well said mate, least you know a quality player unlike these deluded fellas on here! :)

Anderson showed in 30 mins today he WILL be a better player than Fabregas if he isnt already. What a talent!!!

Haha! What a crock of s***!

Can he play a "Killer " pass like you got so wrong with your debate before.

Ryan Gosling

Don't understand the argument here.

Anderson and Fabregas = both quality

Fabregas has been here for a while, this is Anderson's first season.

Both different types of player too.

I never said he was the best player in the world, hes in that catagory, if you knew class footballers you would understand what hes brough to Arsenal and how hes outclassed Vieira etc in games hes played against.

Youve just a dislike to Arsenal players, if he played for Hearts you would be bumming him up.

And dont call me matey.

So hes just "good" because Arsenals season is finished, what a load of s***!

If you judge that, then why has Fabregas been in a championsleague final and why has Ronaldo not been before possibly this season?

Don't understand the argument here.

Anderson and Fabregas = both quality

Fabregas has been here for a while, this is Anderson's first season.

Both different types of player too.

Excellent point.

Anderson is an attacking midfielder and Fabregas has filled the void of Vieira but scores more.

Walter Bishop
Haha! What a crock of s***!

Can he play a "Killer " pass like you got so wrong with your debate before.

Anderson`s influence and drive turned the game, he ****ed all Faberge when he came on. Super Fab was breathing out his jacksy after 35 minutes, as for adeybangor... dont get me started!!!

Denny Crane

Hmm....interesting debate over Liverpool 88 v Man Utd 08

My own personal head to head is as follows

Grobbelaar v Van der Sar

Both keepers had their temperamental moments but could also pull their teams out of jail. Difficult choice but I'd go for Van der Sar.

Steve Nicol v Wes Brown

Brown is solid but Nicol could not only bolt the door shut but wreak havoc when pushing forward. Both can play either right back or centre half. Nicol for me.

Alan Hansen v Rio Ferdinand

Ferdinand to me is someone who has the potential to be a lot better than he should be. He's good now but really should be one of the all time greats. Hansen was a classy centre-half who always seemed to be thinking two moves ahead of his opponent. Hansen for me.

Gary Gillespie v Nemanja Vidic

This should have been Mark Lawrenson v Vidic but Lawro suffered an injury which ended his career early that season. Gillespie was decent but was vulnerable at corners/set pieces which did for Liverpool in that season's cup final. Vidic is a great coup for Fergie and could well be an Old Trafford great. Vidic for me.

Nigel Spackman v Patrice Evra

Spackman was very solid but Evra like Nicol can pose more of a threat when pushing forward. Evra for me.

Steve McMahon v Owen Hargreaves

Both operate as the heartbeat of their respective midfields but Owen has been known to go missing in the odd match. McMahon had that extra bite with an extraordinary workrate. In the 2-0 win v Arsenal that season watch how him chasing a lost cause engineered the opening goal. McMahon for me.

John Barnes v Ryan Giggs

Possibly the most difficult choice. Not a lot seperating them. Both skillful, classy players who could destroy teams at will as well as supply the front two with ample ball. I'm bottling this one and saying.....toss a coin!

Ronnie Whelan v Paul Scholes

Two players who it could be argued were each side's most important player. If they played well, their teams usually did. Scholes for me as he poses more of a goal threat - although Ronnie did score a few crackers in his time.

Ray Houghton v Michael Carrick

Carrick has long been heralded as a great talent but for me hasn't really stepped up to the high plains he's seemed capable enough. Houghton was nickname Razor at Anfield as he had the ability to cut open opposing midfields. Houghton for me.

John Aldridge v Wayne Rooney

Both deadly goalscorers and would produce the goods for you. Rooney - despite his volatile temperament can bring off something out of the blue. I might have come to a different conclusion had Ian Rush not taken his Turin sabbatical during that season but for now, it's Rooney for me.

Peter Beardsley v Cristiano Ronaldo

Two fantastic talents who I would say are on a par. Sadly Ronaldo's perchant for diving is the key factor here. Take that away and I would have to sit on the fence ala Barnes v Giggs. Beardsley for me.

*The above is to be taken as just my opinion, not a definitive guide*

Archived