USA you can GTF

J Cheever Loophole

I came back in 1990 with my son, because we were with two Canadian friends and we had Canadian Passports we went in the I think it was Commonwealth line up for immigration. The officer I went through looked at my passport and said born in Edinburgh, you should be going through the other line, wherever you go your always one of us. My son also born in Edinburgh went through a different officer, he told him he wasn't allowed to work, had to be out of the Country in a certain time and treated him as if he was applying for refugee status. Same airport, same country, same passport information, different officer, different rules. Not worth the time arguing.

Last Wednesday morning we dropped my stepson off at Glasgow airport to return home to Virginia USA and the last thing we told him was to phone his mum when he got home.He was due back around 8-30pm our time,that passed and beyond with no word.

After I came home from work on Thursday,no word,so I sent him a terse E-mail with no reply.

Late on Friday night we got a phone call from his ex-wife telling us he was arrested at Dulles airport with no other information.

After countless trans-atlantic calls to various places and the same amount of ignorant hang ups,we have finally been informed today of his charges.1.Failing to return rented items.We weren't told exactly what,only that it is valued at less than $200 and that it is deemed an misdemeanour,

Bail set at $3500 but there is a retaining order from their immigration Dept or something so he is banged up till Feb.

He's 2 kids over there who wont see him this Exmas,a Mum here who hasn't slept or ate since Thursday and those upholders of the supposedly Christian faith act as if we come from somewhere from the back of beyond.Feck them,I hate them to the core,the shower of insincere welts.

I wouldn't question his honesty as holds/held a position in a bank over there.It may be a simple oversight on his part or the fact he was over here for a month.Feck knows,it's just another worry.verymad.gif

I've entered the USA on hundreds of occasions, literally, and have never once had a problem with the agents, always finding them to be business-like and polite, often even friendly.

My first reaction to reading your story is that there's something you're not being told. The immigration people have no interest in a misdemeanor like the one you describe ... how would such a trivial thing even get into their computer database? Their concern is almost exclusively with criminals, or people trying to enter the USA illegally. There's something much more important than a failure to return rented material that has got the agents excited. If he is really being held without bail, this is a serious matter and he needs to get legal advice pronto.

As for the US Bill of Rights, sorry, but that applies to US citizens only.

J Cheever Loophole

I've entered the USA on hundreds of occasions, literally, and have never once had a problem with the agents, always finding them to be business-like and polite, often even friendly.

My first reaction to reading your story is that there's something you're not being told. The immigration people have no interest in a misdemeanor like the one you describe ... how would such a trivial thing even get into their computer database? Their concern is almost exclusively with criminals, or people trying to enter the USA illegally. There's something much more important than a failure to return rented material that has got the agents excited. If he is really being held without bail, this is a serious matter and he needs to get legal advice pronto.

As for the US Bill of Rights, sorry, but that applies to US citizens only.

Your first part of your post was my initial thought,I made the mistake of telling the wife this and she went coo coo,since the weekend it's been a mare in the house,between phone calls and deafies.The Embassy was a waste of time.Getting in touch with him is a waste of time as we are told,sorry mam/sir no messages permitted.How the hell are we supposed to get him legal advice about something we really don't know anything about.

As for the bill of rights part,I thought it was for everyone.My mistake.

Thanks MF mate,anyhow.

The plot thickens. Caught going through customs with half a key of Chuck Bronson up his fairter NAP.

J Cheever Loophole

The plot thickens. Caught going through customs with half a key of Chuck Bronson up his fairter NAP.

I reared him in the correct and proper manner,I'll have you know.

PCP or nowt.

ps Are you Morningside? you call a farter a fairter?smiliz19.gif

J Cheever Loophole

:lol:

Surely farter is posher than fairter?

laugh.gif

It depends if you've followed through,or maybe come fae Fife.ninja.gif

Anally penetrated in the jail as i type.

NAP

Thngs like that don't happen in American Jails.

542776-oz_simon_adebisi_tobiasbeecher.jpeg

:smiliz23:

Right. Doesn't sound hugely different from flying direct from UK, unless I'm missing something.

On a work visa I always just head for the green card line at immigration. They don't seem to mind as long as you're polite and have filled in the entry forms correctly.

Much faster than queuing with the tourists (probably more of a problem in New York, granted).

J Cheever Loophole

I would get a lawyer for him. Lawyer will be allowed to visit him and will be able to give you an update.

You would think he would be appointed one by whatever court.It's more like a private eye we need,tbh.His mate is going to phone us later tonight,with any news.

The time difference exasperates things anaw.

This story which has somewhat changed in content, but is interesting. The point of retaining a lawyer is no doubt a priority, however cost may be a factor. I am not sure the Embassy would show a great deal of interest in representing or otherwise supporting a resident of the U.S. but have absolutely no experience in those matters.

Having read the circumstances with some interest, and considering the hub of the matter, I would suggest respectfully, that the young man incarcerated may have at some point made a statement to the effect that if the family continue to harass him about the child custody he may just take them back to Scotland, or something similar.This would make the custodial action more reasonable because of the risk of the young man absconding with the children. Sometimes in such cases statements such as this are made in the heat of discussion, or argument, made in haste, but suffered at leisure. The recent visit to Scotland could of course be used by legal representatives of the other side as additional/reasonable proof of intent.

Very interesting theory Bob, something just does not add up and there is absolutely more to this than not returning rented items

J Cheever Loophole

This story which has somewhat changed in content, but is interesting. The point of retaining a lawyer is no doubt a priority, however cost may be a factor. I am not sure the Embassy would show a great deal of interest in representing or otherwise supporting a resident of the U.S. but have absolutely no experience in those matters.

Having read the circumstances with some interest, and considering the hub of the matter, I would suggest respectfully, that the young man incarcerated may have at some point made a statement to the effect that if the family continue to harass him about the child custody he may just take them back to Scotland, or something similar.This would make the custodial action more reasonable because of the risk of the young man absconding with the children. Sometimes in such cases statements such as this are made in the heat of discussion, or argument, made in haste, but suffered at leisure. The recent visit to Scotland could of course be used by legal representatives of the other side as additional/reasonable proof of intent.

Cheers Bob.

He has never been over with the kids by himself,only with his ex and the atmosphere in here was truly horrific,I was glad to be going to my work,although it was great to see the kids.

If he gets deported we're afraid we wont see them again.

He did mention when he was over, that there had been a lou lou of a barney, about a week before he left and his visit did last 4 weeks.

We have also heard that because if you are arrested while being a greencard holder the immigration keeps you on a retainer while they check for criminal records,both there and here,which thankfully he doesn't have.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

My mate got huckled flying into Miami a few years ago.

He was visiting his sister who stayed in Savannah at the time but had no accomodation arranged (he was staying with her)

Held him for 8 hours until they could get his sister on her mobile to confirm his story but as she's an ICU nurse they couldnt get her till she came off shift.

My mate got huckled flying into Miami a few years ago.

He was visiting his sister who stayed in Savannah at the time but had no accomodation arranged (he was staying with her)

Held him for 8 hours until they could get his sister on her mobile to confirm his story but as she's an ICU nurse they couldnt get her till she came off shift.

Did he not have a note of her address?

J Cheever Loophole

Just had a phone call from the states telling us the reason for the charge is of rental arrears for some fancy tv .The company did not realise that the Immigration Dept would be involved and they are now trying to get the commonwealth of Virginia to drop the charges and get his release.

We knew his ex was bleeding him dry,BWTF.a rented telly can cause this!

Yes,and before they start."don't take on what you can't afford"I agree.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Why would you rent a TV for a couple of hundred bucks a month when you can get a decent one at Best Buy for 4-500?

I've been in and out of the country loads and never had any bother, when i was on a visa and now that i have a greencard. Generally the immigration agents are polite, friendly and doing their job. Arriving back at Edinburgh we always get a good welcome from them too as we have to go through the International line since the boys are both yanks.

J Cheever Loophole

Why would you rent a TV for a couple of hundred bucks a month when you can get a decent one at Best Buy for 4-500?

I've been in and out of the country loads and never had any bother, when i was on a visa and now that i have a greencard. Generally the immigration agents are polite, friendly and doing their job. Arriving back at Edinburgh we always get a good welcome from them too as we have to go through the International line since the boys are both yanks.

If you hold a greencard and are arrested for anything,Immigration is automatically notified,so we were told.

My anger is turning towards his stupidity,tbh.If you are having money troubles why spunk air fairs if the wolves are at the door,ffs.

He did go back with around ?1500 which he was given by his mum and gran.

If you hold a greencard and are arrested for anything,Immigration is automatically notified,so we were told.

My anger is turning towards his stupidity,tbh.If you are having money troubles why spunk air fairs if the wolves are at the door,ffs.

He did go back with around ?1500 which he was given by his mum and gran.

Lesson learned after a few days in the nick, I would hope!

So its not child custody, and he is still in jail on a misdemeanor charge, but being held by Immigration. He has been bled dry by his rich inlaws and wife, and now the company want to drop the criminal charges in what would normally be a matter settled in small debt court. Meanwhile if I understand correctly he is being detained until February by Immigration. Even more confusing is that the Immigration computer at Dulles had a record of pending charges against an individual, which probably because they were minor and not even already processed would not be on police computers. That computer system must have some memory based on the number of people awaiting court proceedings in the U.S.A. The Immigration cells must also be bursting at the seams.

I've dealt with some convoluted situations in my life, but I gotta tell you this is as convoluted as I have seen. Someone in this whole scenario has to learn the principle that if you are going to lie, you better have a good memory.

J Cheever Loophole

So its not child custody, and he is still in jail on a misdemeanor charge, but being held by Immigration. He has been bled dry by his rich inlaws and wife, and now the company want to drop the criminal charges in what would normally be a matter settled in small debt court. Meanwhile if I understand correctly he is being detained until February by Immigration. Even more confusing is that the Immigration computer at Dulles had a record of pending charges against an individual, which probably because they were minor and not even already processed would not be on police computers. That computer system must have some memory based on the number of people awaiting court proceedings in the U.S.A. The Immigration cells must also be bursting at the seams.

I've dealt with some convoluted situations in my life, but I gotta tell you this is as convoluted as I have seen. Someone in this whole scenario has to learn the principle that if you are going to lie, you better have a good memory.

FFS Bob just when we were beginning to feel a bit better!All the doubts come flooding back.

I'll keep your much appreciated look on things from my wife in the meantime as she has perked up since the last phone call and don't want her fretting as much as before.

Thanks.

Jambodee

ps I am going to get sozzled..

J Cheever Loophole

Lesson learned after a few days in the nick, I would hope!

A good hard kick to the stanes anaw.

I'm feckin fumin' now like.

A good hard kick to the stanes anaw.

I'm feckin fumin' now like.

You have my sympathies, bad enough dealing with family problems when they are right there, but when it is by phone, e mail, or mail its a real nose bleeder. What you have to remember is that although it is not easy worrying about kids problems is a waste of time, because they will go ahead and do it their way anyway. What I have found is if you keep a family problem contingency in your budget, the help that is most accepted, I deliberately miss the word appreciated,is the financial aid, advice is far down the list. I apologise if my take on the circumstances have caused you any stress, I guess you can take the man out of the police, but you can't take the police out of the man, its called analysis paralysis.

J Cheever Loophole

You have my sympathies, bad enough dealing with family problems when they are right there, but when it is by phone, e mail, or mail its a real nose bleeder. What you have to remember is that although it is not easy worrying about kids problems is a waste of time, because they will go ahead and do it their way anyway. What I have found is if you keep a family problem contingency in your budget, the help that is most accepted, I deliberately miss the word appreciated,is the financial aid, advice is far down the list. I apologise if my take on the circumstances have caused you any stress, I guess you can take the man out of the police, but you can't take the police out of the man, its called analysis paralysis.

No apologies asked for Bob.Anyway,I'm in next door having a few and I just nipped in to see if any more word has came.The friend phoned and the wife asked for the relevant names and phone numbers.

She called the store "Aaron's"they told her that the sum was $1600 but would accept $1200,They were happy to take $600 in the mean time and the manager asked for our phone number to let us know if they were successful in getting the charge dropped.She paid by debit card (conformation code anaw)

Where the original sum of $200 came from you would need to ask the wife,I won't because every time I ask a question about it ,she goes Tonto.

Any thanks again Bob and all who replied,even the no very funnny ones,awright they were funny.

I'll probably be on here later pashed so be gentle like.smiliz19.gif

theAlvasection

Who's paid that bro? You.WTF is he thinking about coming over on a jolly when he's getting chased for that amount of money in the states when he's on a green card,Nae job and bairns tae worry about.Dont get me wrong I feel for him being banged up at this time of year and I know first hand his ex is a looney but going on past experience of sharing a flat with him nothing would suprise me with him.Norma and you must have far more patience than me.Its his mum I feel more sorry for cause she'll be up tae high doe with all the stress!Hope you've no had too much at Barrys cause I'm coming over with presents fae Seve the morra,OK shaan. :smiliz46:

J Cheever Loophole

Who's paid that bro? You.WTF is he thinking about coming over on a jolly when he's getting chased for that amount of money in the states when he's on a green card,Nae job and bairns tae worry about.Dont get me wrong I feel for him being banged up at this time of year and I know first hand his ex is a looney but going on past experience of sharing a flat with him nothing would suprise me with him.Norma and you must have far more patience than me.Its his mum I feel more sorry for cause she'll be up tae high doe with all the stress!Hope you've no had too much at Barrys cause I'm coming over with presents fae Seve the morra,OK shaan. :smiliz46:

They'll keep till Wednesday bro,Norma's just off the phone to his attorney and the seething.gifsuso2.gifsob.pngVirginia Commonwealth law fecker things are lookin' upbeat now that we paid the balance off,which for some reason jumped from under $200 to $1325-99.Anyway wits done is done.We can only wait and see.It wasn't done for voodoo but for the bairns.That's oor silver wedding gone to ****.

Doctor FinnBarr

They'll keep till Wednesday bro,Norma's just off the phone to his attorney and the seething.gifsuso2.gifsob.pngVirginia Commonwealth law fecker things are lookin' upbeat now that we paid the balance off,which for some reason jumped from under $200 to $1325-99.Anyway wits done is done.We can only wait and see.It wasn't done for voodoo but for the bairns.That's oor silver wedding gone to ****.

You'll just have to settle for a blow job then!

:thumbsup:

You can't expect that from your son, no matter how long he's been in the tin pale

J Cheever Loophole

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif I better settle in comfy fer the wait.

Cheers BJ

laugh.gif

J Cheever Loophole

Nae word so I assume he's in for the weekend as everything is shut the morra.Except the fecker who's tallyin' up our phone bill.

Ach never mind.

J Cheever Loophole

Nae word so I assume he's in for the weekend as everything is shut the morra.Except the fecker who's tallyin' up our phone bill.

Ach never mind.

He's oot

I tried to post the video of prodical son but I failed there anaw

J Cheever Loophole

He's out,that's all me and the wife knows.I'm no angel and I've done a lot of daft things in my time but....anyway Thanks for all the advice, especially to Bob ,whose experience was comforting yet sometimes worrying but always spot on.

I'm pished I know but the KB has helped me through this.

Even the anal quips.Although they were probably sitting getting moist as they typed.smiliz19.gif

And the attorney Derek Aston who must be a Villa fan.

Glad to hear it's all sorted in the end, mate.

Also should be pointed out that Jambodee could teach some folk on here a few things about taking a teasing, likes. I've seen others lose the rag and stalk people round the board for less. :lol:

Glad to hear it's all sorted in the end, mate.

Also should be pointed out that Jambodee could teach some folk on here a few things about taking a teasing, likes. I've seen others lose the rag and stalk people round the board for less. :lol:

Yup

Archived