Trivia sport question

132goals1958

Was looking back at some of the milestone sporting events of yesteryear . I am sure some of my contemporaries will know the answer to this question. --- Which athlete ran the first 4 minute mile.

jambos are go!

Was looking back at some of the milestone sporting events of yesteryear . I am sure some of my contemporaries will know the answer to this question. --- Which athlete ran the first 4 minute mile.

Do you mean under 4 minutes or under 5 minutes?

Sheriff Fatman

If you mean Glenn Cunningham, it is unsubstantiated and even if it was it supposedly happened in a workout run, which would not count.

If you mean Glenn Cunningham, it is unsubstantiated and even if it was it supposedly happened in a workout run, which would not count.

In 1958 Derek Ibbotson entered the sports trivia books by running the first ever 4 minute mile finishing fourth at the White City in exactly 4.00 miutes

In 1958 Derek Ibbotson entered the sports trivia books by running the first ever 4 minute mile finishing fourth at the White City in exactly 4.00 miutes

He was the first to run it in 4 minutes but finished fourth. :interesting:

He was the first to run it in 4 minutes but finished fourth. :interesting:

Remember Bannister broke the world record in 1954. In 1958 when Ibbotson ran it in exactly 4 mins the world record was 3.54.5 held by Herb Elliot

Archived