royal mail/here we go again

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

News

01 April 2008

Postal workers reject Royal Mail pension changes ? time for genuine consultation says CWU

Postal workers have today (Tuesday) overwhelmingly rejected Royal Mail?s pension changes in a CWU consultative ballot of 140,000 members.

Dave Ward, deputy general secretary, said: ?The result of this ballot clearly demonstrates that Royal Mail?s pension consultation was a sham.

?We?re now calling on Royal Mail to stop acting in undue haste and to discuss with the CWU how to solve the pension problem facing the company. After the last year of unrest Royal Mail needs to take the workforce along with them in this major change to postal workers? terms and conditions.

?With such overwhelming opposition to their plans, if Royal Mail can?t find an acceptable solution with the CWU, industrial action will be inevitable.?

The CWU ballot result follows Royal Mail managers? rejection of the pension changes two weeks ago.

With Royal Mail managers represented by Unite, the two unions are discussing a joint approach to industrial action, should Royal Mail refuse to enter into meaningful discussions.:evilno:

Notes to editors:

* 92 per cent of respondents voted to reject Royal Mail?s pension changes

Even the RM managers are telling them to shove it , could be a nasty strike this time ,mmmm.:sad:

Typical RM management style.

Force a strike and blame the workers!

Hmmm makes you wonder what really is going on at a high level......

Walter Payton

Anyone else think it's about the time the Queen and her government withdrew their patronage of this farcical communications company and backed a company that could actually do its job efficiently for more than 4 months at a time?

Anyone else think it's about the time the Queen and her government withdrew their patronage of this farcical communications company and backed a company that could actually do its job efficiently for more than 4 months at a time?

Yes..................That's it, Just............... YES!!

Sexton Hardcastle

Dont get me started on this joke of a "Service". At our work our dispatch system has been down sicne friday at there end and os stoll "getting looked at" costing us lots of money in late deliverys and customers wanting refunds. Spent hurs all week on the phone to different people telling us the same story. Had enough of it today so took all the orders to the posty paid 240 quid for delivery and will claim it back in the next few days.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Oh a strike again!!

So overtime in May to clear the backlog caused by the strike and a nice fat june/july wage packet for the summer holidays

Tidy!!

maroonlegions
Oh a strike again!!

So overtime in May to clear the backlog caused by the strike and a nice fat june/july wage packet for the summer holidays:rolleyes::P

Tidy!!

its about the pension issue , nothing to do with what you implied above:evilno: , the top brass have made a right balls up of its pension policy and even had time years ago to sort it out but done feck all about it ,so who suffers , mmmmm, yes the workers , this time if a srtike goes ahead , ROYAL MAIL MANAGERS will be out on strike also , those people that manage the delivery and sorting offices , so it will be a complete stand still , no one to manage any over time workers .:rolleyes:

maroonlegions
Striking once again::rolleyes::sobored:

so if your company started fecking about with your pension and made a right dogs dinner of it and done nothing about it when they had the chance years ago and were still waiting on the magic pension fairy to fix it and decided to take it out on the work force you would be a happy bunny , merrily hoping about in la.la land playing with all the magic pension fairies , mmmmm, eh , think not eh.:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Think themselves lucky they even get a pension!

Sooner its privatised the better

I might start getting my mail on time and not have to send everything I want to actually want get there/not be stolen by recorded delivery

I might start getting my mail on time and not have to send everything I want to actually want get there/not be stolen by recorded delivery

100% agree.

I remember a story of a boy who cried wolf .......

Brian Whittaker's Tache

There's no barbed wire round the place, they don't have to be postman

If they're not happy, do what the rest of us do and get another job.

Stuart Lyon

Get another job so somebody else has to take a job with less pay and benefits. That's what this is designed to do. And before anybody says Post Office staff are better off than loads of other working people so are all the fat cats in the city, MPs, MEPs, MSPs, Company Chairmen and executives (who seem to get paid ridiculously high salaries whether the succeed or fail). Non-executive directors too are on the gravy train so before you slag off the post office workers think again. I haven't worked for the PO since February 1968.

Stuart Lyon

Forgot to mention Northern Rock CEO and his golden handshake as an example three quarters of a million quid for getting them where they are today! Performance related pay my ars*

Brian Whittaker's Tache
loads of other working people so are all the fat cats in the city, MPs, MEPs, MSPs, Company Chairmen and executives (who seem to get paid ridiculously high salaries whether the succeed or fail). Non-executive directors too are on the gravy train so before you slag off the post office workers think again.

Boo Hoo, Life's not fair!

There's no jobs for life anymore, and no guaranteed pensions, thats just the way of the world

Posties think, because they're the last monopoly in the UK, they can hold the country to ransom every time somethings not 100% to their liking and or doesn't fit in with their cushie routine. Jobs change, life changes. Deal with it. If they had their way we'd still be back in the dark ages.

The rest of us have to compete for work day to day so why shouldn't they?

I love it when folk who have too much money and too easy a job whine about RM. If the alternatives take over the costs will soar, and you poor folk will be whining about costs again. There will be no more efficiency than what is seen with RM, and many areas will lose daily deliveries.

But as long as your all right.......

Stuart Lyon

BWM its not a question of life not being fair. What would you do if your working conditions including pay etc were being eroded. RM do things by stealth e.g. new employees get less benefits etc than current employees which is bad enough but at least these people know what they are signing-up to. RM employees like civil servants and council staff generally get less take home pay than a lot of private sector employees ( some will get more - some will get less) but everyone picks on their pension benefits as an example of how they are much better off. Many privatised industries introduced contributory pension schemes so employees were paying part of their pension. If life is so good in the RM, civil service or council employment why are you not interested in working there BWM?

Brian Whittaker's Tache
I love it when folk who have too much money and too easy a job whine about RM. If the alternatives take over the costs will soar, and you poor folk will be whining about costs again. There will be no more efficiency than what is seen with RM, and many areas will lose daily deliveries.

But as long as your all right.......

Too easy a job? :rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm self employed and I have to compete with every Tom Dick or Harry out there

They need a bit of competition to give them a foot up the 'arris.

As for the costs going up, your having a laugh. My costs are already up. If you look at my previous post, I send almost all stuff out recorded delivery anyway as things I tend to send out are CD shaped and have a habit of mysteriously disappearing :confused:

Brian Whittaker's Tache
BWM its not a question of life not being fair. What would you do if your working conditions including pay etc were being eroded.
Get another job.

If life is so good in the RM, civil service or council employment why are you not interested in working there BWM?
I have a job I love which pays me well depending on how hard I work. Yes there's no pension. Yes the hours are long but its my choice and i could go and join the civil service or the post office if I so desired tomorrow in the same role but I prefer to be master of my own destiny where the rewards are greater.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
BWM So only RM or public service workers enjoy 'pockle' don't make me effin laugh!

And your point is?

So it's ok (as a public servant) to steal my mail and disrupt my business that I work hard to maintain because in your words everyone else does it?

Get real!

If they had their way we'd still be back in the dark ages.

Would that be the dark ages when you used to get your mail before you left for work every morning, delivered by the same postie that delivered it when you were a lad and who knew everyone on his walk so that inaccurately or incompletely addressed mail still landed on your doorstep?

People refer to Royal Mail as if it were a public service, it is not, services cost money, the Royal Mail is expected to make money. For many years profit was made, dividends paid back to the Exchequer and investment in staff, equipment and technology ignored, the cow can't be milked forever without being feed.

Universal service, Lerwick to Southampton, (usually) next day for 36p, does anyone believe that privatisation would deliver any better on this?

Stuart Lyon

BWM oddly people are not all suited to or capable of being self employed and that is life. So because you are happy with your lot in life please don't take cheap shots at people who for one reason or another choose to be employed by others such as RM.

Is it only RM employees who get-up your nose (bear in mind the post is privatised to some extent and RM only have the right to do the costly bit i.e deliver to your door) or are there fellow self-employed people or companies that you feel bitter towards? For instance what are your feelings towards the former public owned companies such as BT, British Gas. Scottish Electricity? What are your feelings towards the greedy city people? What are your feelings towards companies like the one I gave ?17K worth of work to to modernise 2 bathrooms and they were absolutely crap at the end of the day.

I don't know what it is you sell to survive and I hope you continue to survive because you have the right attitude towards your customers but please, please don't criticise the majority in the RM (because that's who you singled out) by the actions of a very few bad apples.

Stuart Lyon

I did not say it was OK for RM staff to steal your mail I merely indicated that you could point they same finger at many, many other business and working people!

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Would that be the dark ages when you used to get your mail before you left for work every morning, delivered by the same postie that delivered it when you were a lad and who knew everyone on his walk so that inaccurately or incompletely addressed mail still landed on your doorstep? Well I'd like my mail before midday and to my door and the stuff that I send out to get there

People refer to Royal Mail as if it were a public service, it is not, services cost money, the Royal Mail is expected to make money. For many years profit was made, dividends paid back to the Exchequer and investment in staff, equipment and technology ignored, the cow can't be milked forever without being feed. Three years ago RM was losing ?1m A DAY Who was paying for that?

??

Walter Payton
BWM oddly people are not all suited to or capable of being self employed and that is life. So because you are happy with your lot in life please don't take cheap shots at people who for one reason or another choose to be employed by others such as RM

So if you are acknowledging it's somebody's choice to be employed by RM, do you also acknowledge if the working conditions are so bad they freely have the choice to seek employment elsewhere?

Is it only RM employees who get-up your nose (bear in mind the post is privatised to some extent and RM only have the right to do the costly bit i.e deliver to your door) or are there fellow self-employed people or companies that you feel bitter towards? For instance what are your feelings towards the former public owned companies such as BT, British Gas. Scottish Electricity?

If other public owned companies like the ones that you mentioned had a similar monopoly situation on their industry to the one RM have and had a strike history as bad as the RM workforce, yes I'd be annoyed/bitter at them as well.

What are your feelings towards the greedy city people? What are your feelings towards companies like the one I gave ?17K worth of work to to modernise 2 bathrooms and they were absolutely crap at the end of the day

If people in other industries like the example you've given gave me as bad service, I'd have every opportunity to take them to court for breach of contract- I'd also have the opportunity to scrutinise them before engaging their services and if I decided they were cowboys use another company- there's no monopoly ensuring their prices are much cheaper than anybody else could afford.

Stuart Lyon

If all the RM employees were to seek other employment where would the RM be!

While BT and the fuel companies don't have outright monopolies they, particularly the latter, seem to operate like a cartel hence the OFT investigation into their activities.

The greedy activities of the city people are not controlled or influenced by your need for their services. The sub-prime mortgage fiasco is a prime example. You may or may not have a mortgage but the impact of the collapse in those markets affects everyone. Inflation up, mortgages becoming less freely available and interest rates for investors being utterly crap.

Perhaps we should agree to differ on this matter. I would hate for the debate to deteriorate and end-up as another slagging match.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Here we go again, the highly skilled royal mail think they are above the current financial pinch. FFS Almost every company has had to reform their pension scheme in the last 10 years.

Bin them and bring in people on the dole, they would at least appreciate their jobs.

* 92 per cent of respondents voted to reject Royal Mail’s pension changes

Respondants? Who were they? I don't know ANYONE who was asked that question.

Royal Mail have outlined the new pension proposals well. They even sent every employee a DVD on how it works for the hard of thinking.

Admittedly, it's not ideal, but neither is cutting the workforce to fill a ?6billion gap in the pensions.

Here we go again, the highly skilled royal mail think they are above the current financial pinch. FFS Almost every company has had to reform their pension scheme in the last 10 years.

Bin them and bring in people on the dole, they would at least appreciate their jobs.

Could you walk into a delivery office and do exactly what a postman does?

If all the RM employees were to seek other employment where would the RM be!

While BT and the fuel companies don't have outright monopolies they, particularly the latter, seem to operate like a cartel hence the OFT investigation into their activities.

The greedy activities of the city people are not controlled or influenced by your need for their services. The sub-prime mortgage fiasco is a prime example. You may or may not have a mortgage but the impact of the collapse in those markets affects everyone. Inflation up, mortgages becoming less freely available and interest rates for investors being utterly crap.

Perhaps we should agree to differ on this matter. I would hate for the debate to deteriorate and end-up as another slagging match.

The Postal commission have tied RM's hands behind their backs regards to pricing struchtures and competition. We get multi-million pound fines for under cutting any of our competitors. And if we fail to reach a quality target given to us by the regulator, they will fine us over a quarter of a billion quid. But it's ok for DHL and TNT to provide a pish service. I'm not saying it's unfair on the other postal companies etc, I just find it very strange that RM seem to get hammered every which way they turn from the fat cats within the government.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Could you walk into a delivery office and do exactly what a postman does?

I would imagine its well automated so with some training yes, im sure i could.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Respondants? Who were they? I don't know ANYONE who was asked that question.

Royal Mail have outlined the new pension proposals well. They even sent every employee a DVD on how it works for the hard of thinking.

Admittedly, it's not ideal, but neither is cutting the workforce to fill a ?6billion gap in the pensions.

Thats always a killer, 92% blah blah, yet you can NEVER find anyone who said this. Lies damned lies and statistics as they say.

There is always one dingle claiming posties are thieves. Try putting the correct address on your stuff. Better chance of getting there. As for your mail on time, 2.00pm is when you can reasonably expect your mail. Soon to be 3.00pm. Unless you pay to get it before then.

I would imagine its well automated so with some training yes, im sure i could.

Automation is in the Mail Centre. Not a delivery office. There is quite a complex workplan in each office. I am in the Comley Bank office at the moment. They shift 100,000 + items each day. 99.9% of everything in that office is sorted and delivered that day. No just a case of grabbin a bag and delivering the contents.

Guest S.U.S.S.
There is always one dingle claiming posties are thieves. Try putting the correct address on your stuff. Better chance of getting there. As for your mail on time, 2.00pm is when you can reasonably expect your mail. Soon to be 3.00pm. Unless you pay to get it before then.

To be fair, i have had mail stolen. Took numerous complaints and finally a visit to the office before anything was done. BUT when they started to investigate they were very thorough (even sent letters to the whole area asking if they got that letter and when etc) and i believe the postie was sacked. In that respect its like all large organisations, takes a while to get into motion but great when its going.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Automation is in the Mail Centre. Not a delivery office. There is quite a complex workplan in each office. I am in the Comley Bank office at the moment. They shift 100,000 + items each day. 99.9% of everything in that office is sorted and delivered that day. No just a case of grabbin a bag and delivering the contents.

So once you know how to sort it thats the hard part done, even i can walk for a few miles!;)

To be fair, i have had mail stolen. Took numerous complaints and finally a visit to the office before anything was done. BUT when they started to investigate they were very thorough (even sent letters to the whole area asking if they got that letter and when etc) and i believe the postie was sacked. In that respect its like all large organisations, takes a while to get into motion but great when its going.

When I was a workplace coach, The first thing I drummed into a new start was the consequences of helping themselves to mail. One didnae listen, and did the forementioned deed. He got community service, and a not great looking criminal record. It appears easy to pinch, but EVERYONE complains about missing mail and patterns form. The net closes in on these people quite rapidly.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
There is always one dingle claiming posties are thieves. Try putting the correct address on your stuff. Better chance of getting there.

:rofl:

Even with the correct address how come I get the mail for the woman three doors up the road?

How come when I sent out CD Calendars to 50 clients last year, 25% of them disappeared?

I want to be ruder but I'll bite my tongue for now

So once you know how to sort it thats the hard part done, even i can walk for a few miles!;)

Can you use the Citrix network for PAF validation, and road networking? Or sequence delivery points on a OS map? Know how to keep up to date for a CAS audit or CSR audit? Have health and safety policies on your list of priorities? Know how to bump top flats properly? :P

;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I think this is a "join the dots" question.....

:rofl:

Even with the correct address how come I get the mail for the woman three doors up the road?

How come when I sent out CD Calendars to 50 clients last year, 25% of them disappeared?

I want to be ruder but I'll bite my tongue for now

Mate, I have worked in every postcode sector in the city. It's unbelievable how many parcels and letters get sent to Belfast / back to the sender. Ideal a lot with complaints of missing items. 99% of them usually get held up in the network, but on quite a number of occasions, they haven't been sent at all. RM is always an easy out when it comes to things like that. I really don't think there are many teal leafs in RM at all.

Mind you, i think every new start should give his or her eBay username on starting! :D

Guest S.U.S.S.
Can you use the Citrix network for PAF validation, and road networking? Or sequence delivery points on a OS map? Know how to keep up to date for a CAS audit or CSR audit? Have health and safety policies on your list of priorities? Know how to bump top flats properly? :P

;)

Christ, if thats all it is i might do it part time!;)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

To be fair, it's only CD's that I really send out. Letters and the likes go electronically.

Theyre feck all good to anyone, usually containing drawings you'd need specialist software to open anyway, but when the go missing it makes me look bad, ie the clients thinking has he done this work, and it holds a job up impacting on the client

DHL and the likes are just as bad, I've had numerous things go missing, most notably ?300's worth of Satnav supposed to be delivered the day before my hols (nicked from their depot)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

oh and a case of single malt dropped on the driveway by Citylink

He was right popular

To be fair, it's only CD's that I really send out. Letters and the likes go electronically.

Theyre feck all good to anyone, usually containing drawings you'd need specialist software to open anyway, but when the go missing it makes me look bad, ie the clients thinking has he done this work, and it holds a job up impacting on the client

DHL and the likes are just as bad, I've had numerous things go missing, most notably ?300's worth of Satnav supposed to be delivered the day before my hols (nicked from their depot)

RM have made massive moves on quality. The pressure is immense just now. They have introduced a system called RFID.(nae idea what it stands for!) They are electronically tagged items of mail.(hundereds per day!) Only them in the ivory towers know what they are, or where they are going. These items of mail are 'scanned' by a sensor at the door of a delivery office. Then they are scanned back out, when the postie takes them on delivery. If they don't make their way back out, then they know this. we get our arses kicked for quality faliures. So it's upto te RM management to ensure 100% of mail gets delivered that day.

oh and a case of single malt dropped on the driveway by Citylink

He was right popular

I'll bet!

By the way, RM are introducing loads of new ways to post mail out. RM Tracked is one of them. It's a 2nd class costing system, but all items are tracked in the way Special deliverys are. Even better than recorded.

RM have made massive moves on quality. The pressure is immense just now. They have introduced a system called RFID.(nae idea what it stands for!) They are electronically tagged items of mail.(hundereds per day!) Only them in the ivory towers know what they are, or where they are going. These items of mail are 'scanned' by a sensor at the door of a delivery office. Then they are scanned back out, when the postie takes them on delivery. If they don't make their way back out, then they know this. we get our arses kicked for quality faliures. So it's upto te RM management to ensure 100% of mail gets delivered that day.

RFID is radio Frequency ID. Scanners on the doors and on high cost items have been used in Tesco for a couple of years now

John Findlay

My current record for postal delivery to date is 7:15pm. I wonder if Royal Mail can beat that this year.

John

Archived