***Tonight's Champions League matches***

leginten

Group H (Barcelona and AC Milan) is done and dusted, but the other three of tonight's groups all look interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/default.stm

In Group E it's a straight shoot-out between Chelsea and Valencia to qualify; Valencia need to win at Stamford Bridge. Either team can still finish first if Leverkusen don't win in Genk.

Group F is more complicated. Arsenal have won it; Marseille, Olympiakos and Dortmund can still qualify. Dortmund need a four-goal win against Marseille and an Arsenal win in Greece, neither of which seems all that likely. Marseille don't need to win in Dortmund to make sure of second place unless Olympiakos also win.

In Group G Zenit St Petersburg will qualify if they avoid defeat in Porto. Porto need to win, as they're currently third. Apoel Nicosia have qualified and will finish top if they win at home tonight.

Think the Porto and Dortmund games could be the evening's best viewing.

Cant see Valencia getting a result in London, but suppose you never know.

Would like to see Dortmund getting through in their group. They are a decent side, although a cutting edge was lacking in the games I have seen of them.

Would like to see Dortmund getting through in their group. They are a decent side, although a cutting edge was lacking in the games I have seen of them.

Chelsea need a win or a no score draw. Valencia are bound to score against that defence. Can they score at least the same as Chelsea?

I'll watch that game I think.

Chelsea need a win or a no score draw. Valencia are bound to score against that defence. Can they score at least the same as Chelsea?

I'll watch that game I think.

Am I wrong about Valencia needing to win, then? Would a score draw do?

Am I wrong about Valencia needing to win, then? Would a score draw do?

Aye, score draw puts Valencia through (better goal diff. than Chelsea).

Chelsea 1 - 1 Valencia. Valencia will go through :).

But a 0-0 would put Chelsea through even though points in the group were level, the head-to-head was level and Valencia had the superior goal difference? Because Chelsea scored an away goal in the head-to-head, presumably?

Very harsh.

never watched a Champions League match for over 5 or 6 years, might pop in to check the score if there's nothin else on.

Because Chelsea have been so consistent there.

:cornette:

Because Chelsea have been so consistent there.

:cornette:

Chelsea are not as bad as some think. They still have players who can hurt teams. Granted they do look a bit suspect at the back, but still think they will go through.

No real fan of Chelsea but I do feel for the new manager. A few ex managers ignored the ageing squad and let certain players have way too much say in what goes on. Hopefully he is given time to get players in.

They're saying on 5 Live at the moment that 0-0 will be good enough for Chelsea unless Leverkusen lose in Genk.

:mellow:

It's all too much for me.

They're saying on 5 Live at the moment that 0-0 will be good enough for Chelsea unless Leverkusen lose in Genk.

:mellow:

It's all too much for me.

Thank the lord for Gillette Soccer Midweek Special.

biggrin.gif

Thank the lord for Gillette Soccer Midweek Special.

biggrin.gif

I'm in bed with the lurgy and two rooms away from a TV screen. Be a darling and put me out of my misery, GA.

:)

Aye Merse will keep us right.Hope he tries to explain who qualifies.:)

As long as its not Dean Windass

"Jeff, there's been a goal, you are going to have to come back to me. My monitors down"

biggrin.gif

Dean+Windass.JPG

I'm in bed with the lurgy and two rooms away from a TV screen. Be a darling and put me out of my misery, GA.

:)

Chelsea win 2-1.

thumbsup.gif

Chelsea are not as bad as some think. They still have players who can hurt teams. Granted they do look a bit suspect at the back, but still think they will go through.

No real fan of Chelsea but I do feel for the new manager. A few ex managers ignored the ageing squad and let certain players have way too much say in what goes on. Hopefully he is given time to get players in.

Totally agree, they do have some world class players, but with the way AVB wants them to play I think Valencia will definitely catch them out. Soldado only needs a half chance to punish them. Every team that has went to Stamford Bridge this season has had a chance of upsetting them and the good teams have.

Valencia are a lot better than some people think. I predict a 2-1 away win.

As long as its not Dean Windass

"Jeff, there's been a goal, you are going to have to come back to me. My monitors down"

biggrin.gif

Dean+Windass.JPG

The last time I saw Windass he was jumping up and heading an imaginary ball describing a goal.Superb stuff.:)

champs league is easy, sit back with the feet up watch arsenal, no pressure already topped group, let the youngsters and fringe players out to play :) arsenal 10/3 tasty :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seymour M Hersh

I wonder what odds you'd get of both manc clubs and the Kings Road Russians being emptied out of the CL this week?

they wont all go out, city will be only team to go out :rolleyes:

Imagine the uproar if Arsenal are the only team to qualify for the next stage though.

Would they get all the tv money put aside for the English teams.

Say What Again

1-0 Chelsea. Easy.

That should put any early jitters to rest.

And the coupon's up and running too. :P

That should put any early jitters to rest.

And the coupon's up and running too. :P

Yep, let's not forget the most important part :)

stirlingshirejambo

I wonder what odds you'd get of both manc clubs and the Kings Road Russians being emptied out of the CL this week?

2.0 ramires looks like a gust of wind would blow him over but he's really strong. The great tatooed one show's what a wimp he is pushed in chest going down clutching face

stirlingshirejambo

2/0 Chelsea.Poor defending punished.

Still time for david luis to play his part by making a bad mistake gifting Valencia a chance

Dortmund 1-0 up on Marseille - Blaszczykowski goal. But they still need another three and, I think, two Arsenal goals.

2-0 Dortmund - Hummels penalty. Getting interesting.

Barcelona and Genk both 1-0 up.

The Mighty Thor

Eh, because he's got a broken nose.

Gotcha.

One day I fully expect to see him run out in a kevlar burqa.

Valencia having plenty of the ball. The delivery has either been poor though or they cant get behind the Chelsea back line.

The Mighty Thor

3/0 Drogba.Looked the part tonight.

Drogba off and living proof that you don't get much for ?50m on smile.gif

Game would've been a lot different had chelsea actually tried to play football instead of sitting in thier own half . Neville spouting pish ,when luiz lumped it up the park to no one he says thats what I want to see that's what a cb should do. no wonder football in Britain can't progress technically

Dortmund-Marseille's game's been pretty exciting. 5 mins or so for Marseille to find a winner and go through.

Dortmund-Marseille's game's been pretty exciting. 5 mins or so for Marseille to find a winner and go through.

Oh, and um, there it is. :)

Archived