Do footballers get taught theory?

Dr. Bapswent

What I mean is, do they players get lessons on tactics, positioning, work off the ball etc?

Or do they only do physical training?

For example, do they only practice in terms of how to set up at free kicks, going front or rear post, showing a winger outside/inside.

The reason I ask is that we really seem to have a lack of thinking footballers.

The team dont seem to change approach and tactics based on the weather or opposition.

Another example - Sutton playing up on his own, winning balls and flicknig them onto.... well nobody because he is playing on his own. Or when the weather is shocking...balls are still floated ontop of the keeper rather than a shot that could take a skid of the ground and cause problems.

Of course i know the manager is meant to be the man behind the tactics, but I would have thought that players themselves (being that this is their full time job) would have some level of input, and be able to change thier approach when they can see things not working.

Do the players get this kind of traning, to allow them to understand the game in thier heads as well as just being physically capable of playing the 90 minutes.Our lack of off-the-ball running, or understanding of what is expected of each other makes me wonder that this just does not exist.

I dont get how the players themselves are so unable to make changes during a game to adapt to what is happening. Is it because they are so hamstrung by the tactics, or is it that they just have no footballing intelligence and a complete inability to read and evolve with a game.

The Mighty Thor

What I mean is, do they players get lessons on tactics, positioning, work off the ball etc?

For example, do they only practice in terms of how to set up at free kicks, going front or rear post, showing a winger outside/inside.

The team dont seem to change approach and tactics based on the weather or opposition.

Another example - Sutton playing up on his own, winning balls and flicknig them onto.... well nobody because he is playing on his own. Or when the weather is shocking...balls are still floated ontop of the keeper rather than a shot that could take a skid of the ground and cause problems.

Of course i know the manager is meant to be the man behind the tactics, but I would have thought that players themselves (being that this is their full time job) would have some level of input, and be able to change thier approach when they can see things not working.

Do the players get this kind of traning, to allow them to understand the game in thier heads as well as just being physically capable of playing the 90 minutes.Our lack of off-the-ball running, or understanding of what is expected of each other makes me wonder that this just does not exist.

I dont get how the players themselves are so unable to make changes during a game to adapt to what is happening. Is it because they are so hamstrung by the tactics, or is it that they just have no footballing intelligence and a complete inability to read and evolve with a game.

Not really sure whether you are posing a serious question or not.

I'd have thought all of the above is under the umbrella of coaching.

From what i've seen of Hearts this year (mainly at home) we've looked devoid of tactics, now whether that is a lack of tactics or tactical nous from the manager or a lack of ability to understand and implement said tactics by the players i'm not sure.

Whatever the answer is it's not working and it wasn't working when the salries were rolling in either.

I've been saying this for a while.

A massive problem of ours is that nobody gambles on where the ball is going, they wait til they can see where it's going, then they chase after it. By that time, of course, the ball is already gone. People talk about the 'telepathic' play between Robbo, Mackay and Crabbe, but we have none of that right now.

When I'm coaching football, I'm always sure to point out that to be successful in a game of football, you need to be able to think in that split second. It's just basic stuff. You'd think that, to be a professional footballer, you'd have learned this stuff already.

Sometimes it's a mystery what they work on.

What really p*sses me off is when Hamill runs from the RB position to take a corner on the left and Grainger (when fit) does the same in reverse.

It's not as though we're asking players to kick with their wrong foot, so surely there must be other players with the ability to take inswinging corners and if not it's something basic to be done in training. It might also be worth a try fooling the opposition by varying the type of corners and free kicks we take.

Not really sure whether you are posing a serious question or not.

I'd have thought all of the above is under the umbrella of coaching.

From what i've seen of Hearts this year (mainly at home) we've looked devoid of tactics, now whether that is a lack of tactics or tactical nous from the manager or a lack of ability to understand and implement said tactics by the players i'm not sure.

Whatever the answer is it's not working and it wasn't working when the salries were rolling in either.

Im completely serious.

I see nothing about the players on the pitch that suggests they think about football.

They are physically talented players, but do they think abotu things or just repeatedly go through the motions that they have done a million times before?

It would go some way to explain why some weeks the team plays well and wins, and other look like out of their depth children, with the inflexible tactics working some weeks and not others.

But the simple fact is that not good enough, not for a team of profssionals who's only job is to be the best at one thing.

A team of lesser talented players can very simply beat a better team by applying the right tactics to frustrate and exploit the weaknesses, especially if that team is unable to think and react to those changes.

You hear it all the time 'he has a great footballing brain'....'he reads the game very well'...etc.

Do you think Xavi and Messi are just really really physically talented as footballers - or do they understand how they are both going to play and be able to almost instinctively link up through an understanding of how the game works.

If the manager lacks this ability (then he simply shouldn't be a manager) then fair enough - but the players on the pitch also have brains, and as they are professional footballers, I would ahve expected them to have a better understanding of the game than most. But unfortunately the performances really do not suggest that.

Or am i missing something... are we actually applying awesome tactics but just simply being out-thought by every single team in the SPL?

What really p*sses me off is when Hamill runs from the RB position to take a corner on the left and Grainger (when fit) does the same in reverse.

It's not as though we're asking players to kick with their wrong foot, so surely there must be other players with the ability to take inswinging corners and if not it's something basic to be done in training. It might also be worth a try fooling the opposition by varying the type of corners and free kicks we take.

If something is ineffective - lets keep doing more of it.

Or

Lets try and change it.

Hmmm

mahgrassyshoes

I assumed that this would be the case when PS extended the working week. However, you're completely correct. The players do not seem to understand what's going to happen. It certainly should be a big part of their weeks training.

Absolutely, it's a modern day 'whip it in' thing! If there is any player at Hearts who can't take a corner from either side, without either hitting the first defender OR putting it out for a goal kick by over-hitting it they should be told to GTF!

The Mighty Thor

Im completely serious.

I see nothing about the players on the pitch that suggests they think about football.

They are physically talented players, but do they think abotu things or just repeatedly go through the motions that they have done a million times before?

It would go some way to explain why some weeks the team plays well and wins, and other look like out of their depth children, with the inflexible tactics working some weeks and not others.

But the simple fact is that not good enough, not for a team of profssionals who's only job is to be the best at one thing.

A team of lesser talented players can very simply beat a better team by applying the right tactics to frustrate and exploit the weaknesses, especially if that team is unable to think and react to those changes.

You hear it all the time 'he has a great footballing brain'....'he reads the game very well'...etc.

Do you think Xavi and Messi are just really really physically talented as footballers - or do they understand how they are both going to play and be able to almost instinctively link up through an understanding of how the game works.

If the manager lacks this ability (then he simply shouldn't be a manager) then fair enough - but the players on the pitch also have brains, and as they are professional footballers, I would ahve expected them to have a better understanding of the game than most. But unfortunately the performances really do not suggest that.

Or am i missing something... are we actually applying awesome tactics but just simply being out-thought by every single team in the SPL?

It's difficult to know when you're posing a genuine point as your second post is generally a picture of a baby crying. ;)

On topic.........................It's probably a combination of a lot of factors that determine the outcome of a game, especially a Hearts game.

I think the management/coaching function need to understand the ability level of thier players and rather than try to teach a goldfish to ride bicycle, i'd hope they would organise the team and tactics to suit the skill level of the players at thier disposal. I think what we've seen from Sergio is a wish to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. It's only been laterly that he's realised to get the best from his players he needs to play a system that is within their abilities.

Sometimes coaches get it wrong on the day. I remember Mikey Stewart going mental at Laszlo (i think) at ER when it was obvious our system wasn't working. Unfortunately we don't have any such strong characters at present to voice this during a game. The current man with the armband is playing well above his skill level and given his inability to do his own job i'd rather he kept out of tactical discussions.

Mostly our biggest problem is that our club is sick, broken even. I doubt Xavi & Messi would be able to perform week in week out in maroon and conversely Murinho would struggle to get anything from our squad.

It's difficult to know when you're posing a genuine point as your second post is generally a picture of a baby crying. ;)

On topic.........................It's probably a combination of a lot of factors that determine the outcome of a game, especially a Hearts game.

I think the management/coaching function need to understand the ability level of thier players and rather than try to teach a goldfish to ride bicycle, i'd hope they would organise the team and tactics to suit the skill level of the players at thier disposal. I think what we've seen from Sergio is a wish to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. It's only been laterly that he's realised to get the best from his players he needs to play a system that is within their abilities.

Sometimes coaches get it wrong on the day. I remember Mikey Stewart going mental at Laszlo (i think) at ER when it was obvious our system wasn't working. Unfortunately we don't have any such strong characters at present to voice this during a game. The current man with the armband is playing well above his skill level and given his inability to do his own job i'd rather he kept out of tactical discussions.

Mostly our biggest problem is that our club is sick, broken even. I doubt Xavi & Messi would be able to perform week in week out in maroon and conversely Murinho would struggle to get anything from our squad.

But from what we have seen....either there is no tactical knowledge in the coaching staff... or none in the players...or a complete disregard for this in training.

Even if the coaching staff got the tactics wrong, I think to some degree the players themselves could adapt things to improve the situation.

I don't really see any off that

there seems to be a 'oh well, this isn't working' and give up or just keep repeating it attitude, rather than an intelligent and thoughtful approach to fixing a problem.

For people who are professional footballers and managers that's frankly ridiculous.

But from what we have seen....either there is no tactical knowledge in the coaching staff... or none in the players...or a complete disregard for this in training.

Even if the coaching staff got the tactics wrong, I think to some degree the players themselves could adapt things to improve the situation.

there seems to be a 'oh well, this isn't working' and give up or just keep repeating it attitude, rather than an intelligent and thoughtful approach to fixing a problem.

For people who are professional footballers and managers that's frankly ridiculous.

Maybe if they start to take things into their own hands the manager will feel undermined and they will get a bollocking or dropped ?

Problem Officer?

If footballers were better educated in general they would probably be much better players, the only problem is that most of them are lazy ***** who would likely be uninterested.

The Mighty Thor

I haven't seen what goes on at training so I cannot comment. All i will say is that what you see on a Saturday never looks like part of a cohesive plan.

In terms of how other teams prepare for a game a customer of mines husband is part of a team at Man U that watch future opponents and prepare a dossier/report which is reviewed with the coaching team to help them prepare for fixtures. He'll build the report 3-4 weeks before a game along with DVD's of the opponents and this is given to SAF. Clearly this is a different level to HMFC but it's indicative of the level of preparation of some teams.

Maybe if they start to take things into their own hands the manager will feel undermined and they will get a bollocking or dropped ?

And if that helped win the game?

If taking a corner, hug the other touchline as the ball will come to you every 3rd corner....

But in all seriousness, we can see examples of the lack of thinking.

Last game we occasionally doubled up at corners.... which is fine if there is a game plan to do something with the ball. But there doesn't seem to be. Its as if they have seen it done on the TV and decided to try it themselves, without really knowing why.

The same things happens, they double up and instead of making space or angles for a deliberate ball into an area, its the usual hoof in to the box and most likely cleared by the defence or goes straight out.

I don't see any signs of deliberate thinking and a plan behind what they do.

Its baffling or pointless - or both.

southside1874

This. The players seem to be going through the motions though. We are at the same position as we had under Csaba when we just couldn't score. Scoring goals is about producing a bit of individualism and it appears this isn't allowed. Its like there's a clear directive from Vlad about how he wants the team to play and no one is to differ from the plan.

If taking a corner, hug the other touchline as the ball will come to you every 3rd corner....

When Webster just missed one of Rudi's inswingers, I was amazed there was no-one peeling round behind him in case he didn't win it.

Seemed to be an all or nothing situation.

If footballers were better educated in general they would probably be much better players, the only problem is that most of them are lazy ***** who would likely be uninterested.

I agree with this to an extent.

I think Scottish footballers on the whole are thick. Some have a natural footballing ability, but no brains to compliment it.

Examples?

Scott Brown. Has the basic touch and drive, but how often do you see him making a killer, or even a reverse pass. Even his decision to sign an extented contract at Celtic shows he has a comfort zone, and no intention of improving as a player by playing in a better league.

Kris Boyd. Remember him? A nation that got behind him because he scores goals. Dropped by Smith for every big game, walked out on the national team. Unlike Brown, he has gone abroad. Yeah, but by default and not because he really wanted to. What's it - 17 minutes in half a season despite being fit.

To do this you need leaders on the park, this is what has been lacking since Elvis and Hartley. The pair of the them were always shouting orders and encouraging team mates. They could lead by example as both were excellent players who could read the game.

Over the last 3 managers I've often thought how as a team we don't adapt enough, csaba defensive european style, JJ 4-3-3 now sergio who has realised we don't have the players for his brand of silky football.

I often think managers and their style/tactics can knock any creativity and free thinking out of individual players who have to conform to the gaffers orders.

southside1874

I think Scottish footballers on the whole are thick. Some have a natural footballing ability, but no brains to compliment it.

Examples?

Scott Brown. Has the basic touch and drive, but how often do you see him making a killer, or even a reverse pass. Even his decision to sign an extented contract at Celtic shows he has a comfort zone, and no intention of improving as a player by playing in a better league.

Kris Boyd. Remember him? A nation that got behind him because he scores goals. Dropped by Smith for every big game, walked out on the national team. Unlike Brown, he has gone abroad. Yeah, but by default and not because he really wanted to. What's it - 17 minutes in half a season despite being fit.

I remember this link up with the university was suppose to have the Hearts youngsters attending some lectures. Has this happened?

Craig Herbertson

I understand the frustration. Footballers at that level don't have a lot of time to make decisions. There's not as much space or time as you get from your average punter game so it probably looks more gash than it is. Saying that even when I played for our old timers team the captain was always pulling us into lines and corridors moving up and down the pitch, set pieces were all worked out and everybody had a plan. In a losing team or in our case an erratic team, I suppose the breaks get harder to come by. In a winning team everything looks almost easy because its all going well. If we managed to win three games in a row, regardless of how badly we played you'd start to notice the weak points less and less.

And if that helped win the game?

As fans that would be great but not doing what your manager tells you is never going to end good for the player. on top of not getting paid do they really want the hassle of falling out with the manager ?

Don't think he's got a club yet?

Could he do a job for us now? :lol:

As fans that would be great but not doing what your manager tells you is never going to end good for the player. on top of not getting paid do they really want the hassle of falling out with the manager ?

Whislt i kind of agree, i think any manager with the sense and humility would be thankful for the 3 points, and also identify the players ability to adapt and use this in his own tactics.

To get in the huff about it (and worse to stiffle it deliberately out of pride) would be detrimental to everyone concerned.

Whislt i kind of agree, i think any manager with the sense and humility would be thankful for the 3 points, and also identify the players ability to adapt and use this in his own tactics.

To get in the huff about it (and worse to stiffle it deliberately out of pride) would be detrimental to everyone concerned.

Definitely but this football managers/players we are talking about and it wouldn't be the first time they have put their own pride before the good of the team.

Definitely but this football managers/players we are talking about and it wouldn't be the first time they have put their own pride before the good of the team.

Then we both agree that someone needs to put the needs of the team first - and on the showing we have seen, neither the manager or the players is doing that by employing an understanding of tactics or adapating to whats happening on the park.

- either through a lack of any tactical knowledge or a complete lack of ability

Fermit the Krog

Examples?

Jamie Hamill - Thick as ****. Seriously.

Francis Albert

Segio was planning to extend the players working hours gradually (not at one fell swoop as reported) to spend more time on theory, tactics, analysis of opponents etc. I suspect he has wisely decided it's not a good idea to pursue this in present circumstances.

The Mighty Thor

Don't think he's got a club yet?

Could he do a job for us now? :lol:

The spectre of Christmas past :o

I'd rather see Stewart in the middle of the park than Mrowiec. Which is a big statement as i really don't like Mike Stewart at all.

mahgrassyshoes

This 100%. I've said this before, in the UK the boys that make it in pro football are the ones who dedicate all their time to football and have no interest in their academic performance. These boys ahow the ability when they are young but when it comes to the top level they lack the intelligence. The kids who are more inclined to do well academically will also try their hands at other things like art, music etc and their football suffers as a result.

Foreign countries put almost as much emphasis on the academic stuff as the football and are reaping the benefits. Hopefully, things like the links with schools ala Dundee Utd will become more prominent in Scottish football and we will reap the benefits as a result.

Almost as frustrating as our set peices whereby Jamie H, Skacel, Black et al argue over "who's going to take it", like some scene from P7. Do you not think these things should be decided in training before games i.e. depending on left or right side of pitch, or scoreable? Probably too much for these guys to cope with though.

mahgrassyshoes

Then we both agree that someone needs to put the needs of the team first - and on the showing we have seen, neither the manager or the players is doing that by employing an understanding of tactics or adapating to whats happening on the park.

- either through a lack of any tactical knowledge or a complete lack of ability

I think PS will have tried to introduce some form of tactical studies. I just don't think the players will see that as an important part of thir role at the club just now. One of the things that featured regularly in reports just after PS signed was his large interest in tactics and theories. I'm not believing he's just abandoned that because he's come to scotland and stopped receiving a wage!

I think PS will have tried to introduce some form of tactical studies. I just don't think the players will see that as an important part of thir role at the club just now. One of the things that featured regularly in reports just after PS signed was his large interest in tactics and theories. I'm not believing he's just abandoned that because he's come to scotland and stopped receiving a wage!

Im tempted to belive that the players have no interest in any for of 'academic' tactical udnerstanding and think they only need to be fit and atheletic and practice with the ball at their feet.

I could imagine any form of 'academic' endevour laughed off and not given and serious time.

mahgrassyshoes

Im tempted to belive that the players have no interest in any for of 'academic' tactical udnerstanding and think they only need to be fit and atheletic and practice with the ball at their feet.

I could imagine any form of 'academic' endevour laughed off and not given and serious time.

Agreed.

I think it was Brian clough who used to keep it simple.

He would get them in the changing room, point to the keeper and shout "you are the keeper, it's your job to stop goals going in".

He would point to the strikers and shout ?you are the strikers! It is your job to score goals?

Etc

And it worked.

He would get them in the changing room, point to the keeper and shout "you are the keeper, it's your job to stop goals going in".

He would point to the strikers and shout ?you are the strikers! It is your job to score goals?

Etc

And it worked.

Which is fine if they also know theory and just need a short sharp reminder of thier jobs if they have got lazy.

or did you think that was it?

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I did see a link on the Hearts website which shows that the young Hearts players are actually working towards their coaching badges.

Still, I don't want to let facts get in the way of football stereotypes so carry on.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I did see a link on the Hearts website which shows that the young Hearts players are actually working towards their coaching badges.

Still, I don't want to let facts get in the way of football stereotypes so carry on.

Really, you think so?

A 6 hour course and its done yeah?

And what does a coaching badge have to do with knowing about tactics, taching someone how to be a coach...?

You think they teach tactics in a single 6 hour course? All the tactics you will ever need.

And afterward, you never need to think about tactics ever again?

What about continual learning?

No.

Bubble well and truly burst!

I always thought our tactics were discussed on the bus (or dressing room) as described by Billy Connolly.

"Ian....if you give the ball to me......I can give it to him.....he can give it to Eggy.....and John, John....would you like the ball"

Really, you think so?

A 6 hour course and its done yeah?

And what does a coaching badge have to do with knowing about tactics, taching someone how to be a coach...?

You think they teach tactics in a single 6 hour course? All the tactics you will ever need.

And afterward, you never need to think about tactics ever again?

What about continual learning?

No.

Bubble well and truly burst!

The title of this thread is "Do footballers get taught theory?" - so I think the fact that our players are working through their coaching badges would mean that yes they are. No?

We should teach them the Hibs way

football_tactics_41.png

At least on this image there is someone at the back post for corners.... wont stop them getting hoofed right out the park though.

Etc

And it worked.

Do you honestly think that Brian Clough's tactical instructions consisted of telling strikers to score goals? Surely you can't honestly think that?

Deary me.

Do you honestly think that Brian Clough's tactical instructions consisted of telling strikers to score goals? Surely you can't honestly think that?

Deary me.

He had a lucky green jumper.

You couldn't buy tactical advice like that for any money in the world.

Archived