Brazil legend Socrates has died (merged)

:shitwine:

Gregory House M.D.

Told he was an outstansing player. Of course, I never saw him play. R.I.P Socrates.

One of the Brazilian true greats in a truly great National side. Brazil were so much more fun to watch before they started to deploy European style players in their side.

RIP

Socrates , now that's a name that takes me back to the first world cup that I can actually remember in 1978. What a player. RIP

Drylaw Hearts

Now he was a guy who made playing the game look easy.

I have an old Brazil v France match from Mexico 1986, which is recorded on technology yet to be invented btw, and he was just brilliant that day.

One of the all time great footballers.

RIP, Great player.

Hibs will be gutted, now they will have to look for inspiration in their style of play elsewhere.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

More deserving of a minutes applause than Speed if the criteria is 'good football man'.

More deserving of a minutes applause than Speed if the criteria is 'good football man'.

Very good point.

Also, please merge with earlier thread mods.

Diadora Van Basten

They don't make them like chain smoking Dr Socrates anymore.

Pele said that Socrates could play better using his back heel than other most other players using their whole body.

I remember we used to practice Socrates penalties when I was young.

One of my favourite ever players in my favourite ever football team Brazil 82.

His epitath should read Damn that Paulo Rossi

Had presence ... real presence. Off field he seemed pragmatic, never extolling the Brazilian myth.

Central figure in one of my three all-time favourite teams.

Class! Class! Class!

Seville '86 was a privilege to see him "in the flesh"!!!

His chain smoking will not have helped him on the ventilator trying to fight off the infection!

Drylaw Hearts

Class! Class! Class!

Seville '86 was a privilege to see him "in the flesh"!!!

His chain smoking will not have helped him on the ventilator trying to fight off the infection!

82 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not many players can say they played in the Yorkshire district leagues and represented arguably the best country in the world. And, also study medicine and be a chain smoker. Like said before, you just don't get players like that anymore.

I P Knightley

Not many players can say they played in the Yorkshire district leagues and represented arguably the best country in the world. And, also study medicine and be a chain smoker. Like said before, you just don't get players like that anymore.

RIP Garforth's finest.

jambos are go!

A lovely little dribbler. He'll be particularly missed.

Not really the great player I remember. He was an upright strident midfielder who played with his head up and chose his options well and did not have to think too hard about the position of the ball at his feet - he instinctively knew were it was. Oozed World Class.

Say What Again

I'm welling up. :thumbsup:

A fitting tribute.

To put it in perspective, the 4 best players to have plied their trade in Scotland in the last 40 years were Dalglish, Gascoigne, Laudrup and Larsson. Socrates was so far ahead of every one of those players that it's not even funny.

Dalglish was probably world class, Gascoigne, Laudrup and Larsson not quite. But Socrates was more than world class, he was playing football from a different planet compared to our best from the last 4 decades. An absolutely unbelievably brilliant football player.

Archived