4-4-2

Alwaysinourshadows

Alwaysinourshadows

Thought we looked much more dangerous in the second half when we played a 4-4-2, still not great but why has it taken sergio so long to realise that we should play with 2 upfront, us fans have been crying out for it for ages :angry:

Agree. At home it should always be two up.

If you scrutinise the game , we didn`t give them anything apart from a fackin penalty in the 2nd half in which we created for them.

We went on to have many efforts at goal too and still controlled the game for most part.

So i don`t see a worry about conceding possession too much by sacrificing a midfielder? Certainly at home we should play two upfront.

Sutton`s play was crying out for a guy just to run off him and it was coming together better in the 2nd half when Elliot was on.

We definitely looked more likely to score with two up top. I'd like to see Elliott and Sutton getting a run of games together with Temps and Driver on the wings but it will never happen.

Thought we looked good in the 2nd half, and Elliott did well with Sutton up front. I'd like to see 442 at home from now on. Away from home, fair enough play 5 in midfield.

The improvement in the second half was certainly as a result of going with a 4-4-2. It is clear we should always play with two up front and ditch the extremely negative and unsuccessful 4-5-1 formation especially at home

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

So much better with 4-4-2, you could see the players were more comfortable as well.

People on here may scoff at the idea of 4-4-2 in the modern game but it's clear our players suit it.

Problem Officer?

I don't know why 4-4-2 is hardly used in the modern game.

4-2-3-1 is shite unless you have the right players to play it with.

Alwaysinourshadows

I don't know why 4-4-2 is hardly used in the modern game.

4-2-3-1 is shite unless you have the right players to play it with.

Exactly! Manchester united play 4-4-2 and clearly doesn't do them any harm

4-4-2 is definitely the way forward. Steven Elliott might not be the answer as 2nd striker though, although he did play OK today.

Thought we looked much more dangerous in the second half when we played a 4-4-2, still not great but why has it taken sergio so long to realise that we should play with 2 upfront, us fans have been crying out for it for ages :angry:

It has taken him so long as he is a sheeite manager without a clue how to set up an spl side... could not lace jj's boots.

Sooner he clears off the better.

CavySlaveJambo

It has taken him so long as he is a sheeite manager without a clue how to set up an spl side... could not lace jj's boots.

It wouldn't have been PS who made the decision to switch to 4-4-2. He was stuck in the stand and should have had no contact with either the bench or dressing room this afternoon.

It was one of his minions or Lockey.

It toik until this post for the thread to turn from a realisation of a tactical change or setup for it to be dismissed as not to PS's credit.

Highly amusing and predictable.

To be fair, in our shitey league 4-4-2 should be adopted home or away, we should be going to every ground in this league and scoring goals, even ibronx and castle grey skull , why not go there and have a feckin go, we arnt expected to pick up points there so why not, two strikers up top home or on the road, it's simple, it's the SPL not the champions league !!

kennyblack'sshot

It wouldn't have been PS who made the decision to switch to 4-4-2. He was stuck in the stand and should have had no contact with either the bench or dressing room this afternoon.

It was one of his minions or Lockey.

He's banned from the dugout, not from communicating with his coaches.

Johanes de Silentio

Totally agree with the OP - we looked a lot better in the second half with a 4-4-2 formation, with Elliot looking sharp.

CavySlaveJambo

He's banned from the dugout, not from communicating with his coaches.

Ok was assuming the UEFA rules regarding the ban (not communicating with coaches during the period of the match ala Arsene Wenger) also applies in scotland.

JJ played one up front.

442 worked yesterday because against Sutton St Johnstone were playing a high line which they couldn't do when Elliott came on and used his pace and movement. On the second half alone we deserved more but at what stage do we stop being unlucky and start winning games like these?

That doesn't matter though :(

I just find it interesting that such a wonderful manager as JJ didn't notice it and change to 2 up front, given he worked with the squad for about 14 more months than Sergio has. How did he not see it, I wonder?

PS. The biggest problem we have is still the centre of midfield.

Napoleon  Wilson

Amen

I just find it interesting that such a wonderful manager as JJ didn't notice it and change to 2 up front, given he worked with the squad for about 14 more months than Sergio has. How did he not see it, I wonder?

PS. The biggest problem we have is still the centre of midfield.

At what stage of the season will you start judging Sergio ? JJ has gone, he had 3 games working with this squad.

I`ve tried to be patient with PS but its hard to understand why he doesnt go with two up front

he also baffles me as to why he is not giving Novikovas (sp) a run when Temps has gone off the boil at the moment

and yesterday it wasnt one of Rudi`s finest displays so why not give Robinson 30 or even 45 mins to give some fresh ideas to our midfield

At what stage of the season will you start judging Sergio ? JJ has gone, he had 3 games working with this squad.

TBH, as I've said on another thread, I don't think we're ever going to have the chance to judge him properly. I find it hard to do so when the guy is working under these conditions. It would have been after he'd had the chance to make some changes in January, but we know that isn't happening now, and I doubt he'll be here any longer than that anyway.

It's just an obvious flaw in the argument to say Sergio couldn't lace JJ's boots (which may or may not be true) because Sergio has only just changed to 2 up front, when JJ never played 4-4-2 either. My central midfield point is linked to that - we might not have a fit CF who can play effectively up front on his own, but we are incredibly light in central midfield (and on the wings) for a 4-4-2.

I`ve tried to be patient with PS but its hard to understand why he doesnt go with two up front

he also baffles me as to why he is not giving Novikovas (sp) a run when Temps has gone off the boil at the moment

and yesterday it wasnt one of Rudi`s finest displays so why not give Robinson 30 or even 45 mins to give some fresh ideas to our midfield

Novi or Driver might be in for a chance now - I'd say Temps needs a rest. Someone of Driver's experience is needed ar Parkhead.

Archived