Holding midfielders

CMc

The Dutch were out of order. Totally different approach and they put themselves out their own stride because they concentrated so much on disrupting Spain.

England didn`t go over the top, just physical enough to put Spain off their stride a bit. Got close and went in strong.

It was nice to see the English finally taking a leaf out of the German book. Play lots of talented youngsters in a system that works rather than shoehorning past-it celebrities into a contrived set up.

They still got pretty lucky against a weakened Spain in a friendly at Wembley. It's still an achievement, but not comparable to beating them in a competitive match. It certainly does not prove that the English system rivals that of Spain.

De Jong

Nigel-de-Jong_2511362.jpg

Unsung hero and War Machine

I disagree on this. As someone who has a liking for city and watches them anytime I can I believe they're a better side when he's not in it. Loves a challenge though.

My personal favourite (not espousing that he is THE best) is Khedeira.thumbsup.gif

He's a great player. I'm struggling to think of a player at the top that does as much running as Khedera. What a side Germany are going to have for the next decade. A midfield involving Khedira, Ozil, Schweinsteiger, Gotze and Muller.

I hope they piss all over Spain in the years to come.

Can Alonso really be counted as a holding midfielder? Or is it a position that is dying out at top level football? Is it now just a British novelty item? Alonso seems to suggest as much in a recent interview.

"I don't think tackling is a quality," he says. "It is a recurso, something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you'd read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They'd ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He'd reply: 'Shooting and tackling'. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it."

Makes sense what he says ... Alonso is absolutely shocking in his tackling ... the number of people he's injured is staggering ... he's a dab hand at getting there just a fraction too late, or conversely he leaves his foot in just a wee bitty late to force contact and get the opposition player booked. Very sly - total master and it doesn't surprise me that he's ended up in one of Mourinho's teams.

He's nowhere near the best 'DM' ... needs a second 'DM' or he's lost/found out ... leave him in there alone vs Barca and they run rings round him.

A little off form just now but Busquets is still his superior (and surprisingly decent on the defensive duties).

Toure Yaya ... nope.

Schweinsteiger - quite possibly offers the most ... his dynamism is unmatched.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

How do people see Yaya Toure as a DM?

He's one of City's most attacking players!

JamboAberdeen

If fit into "holding midfielder" category, nobody is on a par with Xavi (not Alonso one).

If British term HM, van Bommel or Parker gets my vote.

How do people see Yaya Toure as a DM?

He's one of City's most attacking players!

It is one of those myths that got started by the press that City play with 3 defensive midfield players.So despite folk hating the so called press,they go along with the nonsense they print instead of watching the player and making up their own opinion.

The same thing is happening with Scott Parker.One half decent game for England and all of a sudden he is one of the best in the world,when clearly he is nowhere near it. :lol:

On a sidenote.This Scotty nonsense has to stop.His name is Scott,folk copyingthe press again. :yucky::down: :down:

I'm struggling to think of a player at the top that does as much running as Khedera. What a side Germany are going to have for the next decade. A midfield involving Khedira, Ozil, Schweinsteiger, Gotze and Muller.

Reus and Schuerrle are also likely to be in there challenging for a place. Reus in particular looks to have a great future as an attacking midfielder.

kingantti1874

When fit, I think Essien is incredible.

Was going to post same thing, though not sure given the extent of his injuries that he will get back to his best

Toure, Essien, Khedira and Schweinsteiger are all top class players, but none of them for me are holding players. More the box-to-box types, or in Toure's case simply an attacking midfielder now.

De Jong, Mikel, Alonso and Tymoshchuk are the holding midfielder for their respective clubs.

Busquets is probably closest to the "Makelele" role he perfected for Chelsea. They also have another of the best in the world in Masherano who they play in central defence half the time.

AC Milan have lots of players capable of playing the role too; Gatusso is one of my favourites, Ambrosini and Flamini are both excellent defensive mids. Although it pains me to say it Gatusso and Ambrosini's legs might just be going :(

Esteban Cambiasso is another of my favourites, I have serious doubts whether Germany would have breezed past Argentina so easily had he been in the side. Although he has Alonso, Mourinho seems to be trying to convert Pepe into the role as well. There's also a number of young French or French/African players coming through in the role perhaps inspired by Makelele? Alex Song at Arsenal is more and more impressive (calm down Feeno, he's got a long way to go yet), Yann M'Vila who is being linked with Arsenal is just one of a number playing in Ligue 1.

Toxteth O'Grady

The popularity of the holding midfielder has reduced the entertainment value of the game.

I blame Paul Lambert

Archived