Frank McGarvey on the radio

stirlingshirejambo

john brownlee

Like it or not, that was the way football was back then. It was an experience and a pleasure following the famous back then - might be difficult to imagine if you're used to all seated stadia, rustling sweetie papers and singing from song sheets handed out by the state - but I tell you something..you missed yourself!

tell that to the souls at Hillsbourgh

no

if you were around at the time you would have known there was more to it than juat Hearts threw/blue it.

I was very much around at that time thanks. :)

You are as always Boab correct, 1 kick to the back of the legs, 2 good punches and an attempted head butt before a headlock and then getting dragged off.

:thumbsup:

I'd pay good money to melt that dug-eyed **** right in the puss.

Lucky barsteward.

Anyone mind the game in about 85 when he came over the shed to take a corner and hail of coins rained down on the horrid little blunt, his face was a picture, looked horrified and legged it out the danger zone.

Gorgie Rules.:thumbsup:

Yeah, great day went home with more money than i started with.

:thumbsup:

Totally different subject, bet your a riot down the boozer though

Wtf are there people complaining about someone mentioning coins getting throwing for it happens get over it. Sounds a lot better than people moaning about how we aren't steamrolling teams 6-0 every week,and sitting in silence for 90 minutes.

Cappuccino Kid

are you Rupi's special friend? Hillsbourgh was nothing to do with aggressive football fans.

Wtf are there people complaining about someone mentioning coins getting throwing for it happens get over it.

it happens so you're not supposed to complain about it? house fires happen too - next time someone loses their kids in one i'll tell them to stop blubbing, "it happens, get over it".

it happens so you're not supposed to complain about it? house fires happen too - next time someone loses their kids in one i'll tell them to stop blubbing, "it happens, get over it".

Your comparing coins getting thrown to a child getting killed in a housefire really I mean come on.

St Mirren hadn't lost by more than two goals all season but were five down by half time due to this little ****.

Actually they did so on at least two occasions. They lost 3-0 to us at Tynecastle in a league fixture and also 4-1 in the Scottish Cup to us (quarter-final), again at Tynecastle.

Floyd - I've offered it every year since we've been on jkb , but if you ever need a pint, it's on me! You've not went into the full graphic detail of before tho....

P

Ditto - I never tire of hearing this story.

I'd pay good money to melt that dug-eyed **** right in the puss.

Lucky barsteward.

Le Chat - best poster in JKB history, for my money.

Your comparing coins getting thrown to a child getting killed in a housefire really I mean come on.

yeah, its called an analogy. You said something, I applied it to a relevant situation to show how stupid your point was. That's called logic.

Clearly they aren't the same thing, but to dismiss criticism of someone having metal rain down on them because 'it happens all the time' is absurd and pathetic and only seeks to enable despicable behaviour.

Wtf are there people complaining about someone mentioning coins getting throwing for it happens get over it. Sounds a lot better than people moaning about how we aren't steamrolling teams 6-0 every week,and sitting in silence for 90 minutes.

I make no apologies for not applauding a bunch of adults pelting someone with coins. I'd far rather have a moan about Hearts playing shite on a meaningless forum that get the club done by acting pwoper nawty and chucking coins from the safety of the stand at somebody.

You lads sound cool though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Disgusting individual.

One thing's for sure - there will be no RIP thread on here when he goes! :thumbsup:

yeah, its called an analogy. You said something, I applied it to a relevant situation to show how stupid your point was. That's called logic.

Clearly they aren't the same thing, but to dismiss critici

sm of someone having metal rain down on them because 'it happens all the time' is absurd and pathetic and only seeks to enable despicable behaviour.

hardly a relevant situation I know what you meant I'm not condoning coins getting throwing, I just think it's ridiculous that people are still offended by something that used to happen years ago. but your analogy was ridiculous.

I make no apologies for not applauding a bunch of adults pelting someone with coins. I'd far rather have a moan about Hearts playing shite on a meaningless forum that get the club done by acting pwoper nawty and chucking coins from the safety of the stand at somebody.

Im not condoning im saying it's ridiculous that people still get offended by it. Stop trying to twist what I said typical.

Im not condoning im saying it's ridiculous that people still get offended by it. Stop trying to twist what I said typical.

You said it was preferable to moaning about us not beating teams 6-0 or sitting in silence. Neither of which happens.

One thing's for sure - there will be no RIP thread on here when he goes! :thumbsup:

Ooooooo not to sure as some folk seem to get off on telling folk that you should show your respects if a threads starts about a death on K.b and I seem to recall a thread that got a load of replys about a dead goldfish R.I.P.

Jam Tarts 1874

He also came out with this beauty...

'If Alex Ferguson had stayed with St Mirren, we would definitely have won the league...' :o

Nothing wrong with that quote, they were going well and had a right good side before Fergie went to Aberdeen.

Floyd - I've offered it every year since we've been on jkb , but if you ever need a pint, it's on me! You've not went into the full graphic detail of before tho....

P

Ok, seeing as you asked nicely! :thumbsup:

It was a good few years ago in the early 2000's when one of the boys that I worked with asked me if I could do him a favour and play in his Saturday morning five a side team up at Pitz at Townhead in Glasgow.

I agreed and played a couple of games for Crystal Gallus doing alright and keeping me off the booze on a Friday night, one week when we turned up it turned out we were playing a team called Bayer Neverloosin who were top of the league that we were in. One of the boys in our team said that they were a team of quite young boys some of whom played with Celtic youths and they looked a good team.

We headed out to the pitch wearing our Brazil tops with our own shorts & socks, me of course wearing Hearts shorts & socks, to find 4 young guys and the ref on the pitch, as kick off time approached the ref said that the other team were down a player but were expecting one of their Dad's to arrive soon and were we ok kicking off against 4.

We of course agreed and managed to build up a 3 goal lead in the opening 10 minutes against the 4 players when an old Vauxhall Cavalier pulled up at the side of the pitch and this guy comes running on with a pair of baggy grey shorts and a washed out white t-shirt, at first I thought it was one of the locals running on to try and smack the ref or steal the ball till said man starts talking to the players in the team and I recognise him as the one and only Frank McGarvey!!!!!

He starts knocking the ball about and looks as if he has a point to prove as we extend our lead to 4 goals and as I chase the ball into the corner he chases after me and has a couple of fly digs at the back of my legs as I shield the ball from him, I knock the ball to a team mate and as we are walking away he looks at me and clocks my shorts. He mutters something about being a Jambo barsteward to which I reply asking him if his wife is still on the game to pay his gambling debts?

He then takes a pass and goes past me saying remember 86 ya bass. This is not a good move on his part as I lose my cool ever so slightly, and as he chases the ball into the corner I go in straight after him and instead of just trying to give him a few fly digs at the back of the ankles I go in hell for leather and boot him across the back of the legs, I expected him to go down in a heap but to his credit he stays up and turns round saying "what you all about?" And he pushes me in the chest, at this point the red mist descends and I then attempt to head butt him but fail to connect so i follow this up by punching him on the side of his head, his head goes down and he puts his arms up to shield himself and tries to slap me, he misses and I punch him again before putting him in a headlock with a view to continuing to smack him about.

As soon as I get him in a headlock, someone jumps on my back and a full scale rammy begins as I am dragged off him shouting and screaming about him being a smelly cheating barsteward and how he is going to get it. The ref then comes over and sends me off for violent conduct, he then approaches McGarvey who is being helped by his son and sends him off for retaliation.

McGarvey goes nuts, and starts complaining about being the victim and then refuses to leave the pitch as I'm standing outside it waiting for him.

Which is partly true, I was standing pitch side but was more interested in watching the rest of the game than going for round 2 with him, but if it noises him up I thought, all the better that I just stand here and shout abuse at him.

The ref eventually got a couple of our boys to stand with me to make sure I never went near McGarvey as he scurried off the pitch and into his car with my verbal abuse ringing in his ear.

The ref then ordered me in for a shower and to calm down or my ban would be a lifetime one!

I took the hint and headed in, after I was showered and changed the rest of my team came in, they had won the game by 5 goals or something like that and they had said the ref wanted to see me at reception when I was ready.

I headed out and the ref was waiting, he told me that he would need to include the details of my sending off in his report and that I would be suspended for at least 3 games. I accepted it and he said that if it had been anyone else that I had hit it would have been a lifetime ban but that he hated McGarvey as well although not for the same reason as me.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself until my mate from work told me that my services were no longer required for Crystal Gallus.

Was definitely worth it though!!! :P

It was a good few years ago in the early 2000's when one of the boys that I worked with asked me if I could do him a favour and play in his Saturday morning five a side team up at Pitz at Townhead in Glasgow.

I agreed and played a couple of games for Crystal Gallus doing alright and keeping me off the booze on a Friday night, one week when we turned up it turned out we were playing a team called Bayer Neverloosin who were top of the league that we were in. One of the boys in our team said that they were a team of quite young boys some of whom played with Celtic youths and they looked a good team.

We headed out to the pitch wearing our Brazil tops with our own shorts & socks, me of course wearing Hearts shorts & socks, to find 4 young guys and the ref on the pitch, as kick off time approached the ref said that the other team were down a player but were expecting one of their Dad's to arrive soon and were we ok kicking off against 4.

We of course agreed and managed to build up a 3 goal lead in the opening 10 minutes against the 4 players when an old Vauxhall Cavalier pulled up at the side of the pitch and this guy comes running on with a pair of baggy grey shorts and a washed out white t-shirt, at first I thought it was one of the locals running on to try and smack the ref or steal the ball till said man starts talking to the players in the team and I recognise him as the one and only Frank McGarvey!!!!!

He starts knocking the ball about and looks as if he has a point to prove as we extend our lead to 4 goals and as I chase the ball into the corner he chases after me and has a couple of fly digs at the back of my legs as I shield the ball from him, I knock the ball to a team mate and as we are walking away he looks at me and clocks my shorts. He mutters something about being a Jambo barsteward to which I reply asking him if his wife is still on the game to pay his gambling debts?

He then takes a pass and goes past me saying remember 86 ya bass. This is not a good move on his part as I lose my cool ever so slightly, and as he chases the ball into the corner I go in straight after him and instead of just trying to give him a few fly digs at the back of the ankles I go in hell for leather and boot him across the back of the legs, I expected him to go down in a heap but to his credit he stays up and turns round saying "what you all about?" And he pushes me in the chest, at this point the red mist descends and I then attempt to head butt him but fail to connect so i follow this up by punching him on the side of his head, his head goes down and he puts his arms up to shield himself and tries to slap me, he misses and I punch him again before putting him in a headlock with a view to continuing to smack him about.

As soon as I get him in a headlock, someone jumps on my back and a full scale rammy begins as I am dragged off him shouting and screaming about him being a smelly cheating barsteward and how he is going to get it. The ref then comes over and sends me off for violent conduct, he then approaches McGarvey who is being helped by his son and sends him off for retaliation.

McGarvey goes nuts, and starts complaining about being the victim and then refuses to leave the pitch as I'm standing outside it waiting for him.

Which is partly true, I was standing pitch side but was more interested in watching the rest of the game than going for round 2 with him, but if it noises him up I thought, all the better that I just stand here and shout abuse at him.

The ref eventually got a couple of our boys to stand with me to make sure I never went near McGarvey as he scurried off the pitch and into his car with my verbal abuse ringing in his ear.

The ref then ordered me in for a shower and to calm down or my ban would be a lifetime one!

I took the hint and headed in, after I was showered and changed the rest of my team came in, they had won the game by 5 goals or something like that and they had said the ref wanted to see me at reception when I was ready.

I headed out and the ref was waiting, he told me that he would need to include the details of my sending off in his report and that I would be suspended for at least 3 games. I accepted it and he said that if it had been anyone else that I had hit it would have been a lifetime ban but that he hated McGarvey as well although not for the same reason as me.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself until my mate from work told me that my services were no longer required for Crystal Gallus.

You Sir are now my new hero, take a bow!! You need to wear a T-Shirt identifying yourself to the masses on Saturdays and never have to buy your own bevy ever again.

hardly a relevant situation I know what you meant I'm not condoning coins getting throwing, I just think it's ridiculous that people are still offended by something that used to happen years ago. but your analogy was ridiculous.

who's offended? more to the point, how could anyone be offended by someone else getting pelted with coins?

ofcourse my analogy was ridiculous; its a reductio ad absurdum to prove how wrong what you said is.

Governor Tarkin

To be fair, it wasn't really adults who were throwing coins. Adolescents would probably be a more accurate description.

Ah, the follies of youth, thanks for the memories. I pity anyone who was born with a fully formed moral compass.

All this whilst not wanting to overtly condone the coining of said dog-eyed goon you understand.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

A proper Hearts man right here.

Shame you never managed more damage but good intentions all the same.

If I ever meet you I will buy you a pint! :thumbsup:

winston churchill

You've just cured my hangover :thumbsup:

You said it was preferable to moaning about us not beating teams 6-0 or sitting in silence. Neither of which happens.

Both of them happen

who's offended? more to the point, how could anyone be offended by someone else getting pelted with coins?

ofcourse my analogy was ridiculous; its a reductio ad absurdum to prove how wrong what you said is.

Meh ok then

Some precious souls on this thread. Feel sorry for Anyone who never had the pleasure attending the footy before sit down toilets were installed. You've never lived!

Floyd, take a bow that man! It's magic, you know...

Floyd, can you confirm that McGarvey reeks of stale pish?

Stale BO if I recall correctly, he didn't look the cleanest that was for sure!!!!

Guess The Crowd

Nothing wrong with that quote, they were going well and had a right good side before Fergie went to Aberdeen.

They had a good team, but nowhere near as good as the players (Strachan, Miller, McLeish, Leighton, MacMaster, etc) that he inherited at Aberdeen.

Seriously you think they would have (definitely)won the league? :D

They had a good team, but nowhere near as good as the players (Strachan, Miller, McLeish, Leighton, MacMaster, etc) that he inherited at Aberdeen.

His successor, Jim Clunie, guided them to third in the league in 1980 behind Fergie's Aberdeen and Celtic. Makes you wonder if Fergie himself would have got them higher than that?

punching him on the side of his head, his head goes down and he puts his arms up to shield himself and tries to slap me, he misses and I punch him again before putting him in a headlock with a view to continuing to smack him about.

Superted likes this :thumbsup:

MacDonald Jardine

His successor, Jim Clunie, guided them to third in the league in 1980 behind Fergie's Aberdeen and Celtic. Makes you wonder if Fergie himself would have got them higher than that?

Given Ferguson's record you never know>

My hatred for Frank Mcgarvey and that whole st mirren team runs deep. I was at Dundee on that horrible day and it will live in my memory forever.

I know someone who heard Fergie speak at a dinner last week - and Fergie said that he delayed the move to Aberdeen as he thought that he could take St Mirren to the level he took Aberdeen to. As soon as he got to Aberdeen he knew that had been impossible and that St Mirren couldn't get to that level.

He's going to keep going on and on at Man United apparently ... no thoughts of retirement now.

Jam Tarts 1874

You obviously have great difficulty understanding the English language. I suggest you go back and read McGarvey's quote, then read my comment. If you still want to come to the conclusion that I have said that St.Mirren would have won the league then that will just confirm my opinion that you are a bit thick!

Archived