A Warning for the Future

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I am going to do my Nostradamus impression.

I am very concerned about the future of Heart of Midlothian FC as I believe we are in a downward spiral that is going to be exceptionally difficult to pull out of.

In any business, if there is no direction, no leadership, no forward planning, not taking notice of trends, poor business decisions that do not take account of long term consequences, poor treatment of your stock customers, delusion, paranoia and megalomania and total failure to listen to advice except that from your own appointed yes-men, you are heading for disaster.

I believe we are caught up in the scenario right now at Hearts and I cannot see where the will is going to come from to stop it. When Leslie Deans and Chris Robinson had the row that caused the split between them, few could have predicted the terrible consequences that would follow. The SMG plan was flawed from the start and Deans recognised this. Robinson, already starting to show the symptoms of megalomania, would not listen to advice and agreed to the deal which ultimately led Hearts to where we are today.

By any standards, we should have went out of business in 2005, or at least cut the emotional cord of our attachment to Tynecastle and sold the Stadium, paid off our crippling debts and started afresh at Murrayfield, hoping that somewhere a new stadium plan would have arose. We did not do this, I for one was against this at the time, but now accept that this I was wrong.

A man then came in we could only dream about during the very worst moments of that era ie the decision by the board to sell Tynecastle. All we saw in this man was a multi-millionaire who was a football fanatic, who had extravagant plans for Hearts.

Naturally when you are near death, you grab onto any lifeline without stopping to think of any possible consequences. What is worse than death?

But after three years it is now in the minds of many that this white knight is not what he seemed at the time. And bit by bit he has eroded the good will in which he rode in on to the point now that lifelong Hearts fans speak of "disconnection" from their club. A word I have previously never heard in relation to supporting Heart of Midlothian FC.

The concept of a manager has been eradicated from Heart of Midlothian. Regardless of all the semantics as to what role a manager has in today's game, we have not had one in the traditional sense since George Burley. Very few believe we will get a strong, independant, experienced manager again.

This season saw us plumb depths not seen for years with a turnover figure higher than we could have previously dreamed off. All the pain has been self inflicted, committees, faxes, magic wands, monkeys, black boxes, players picked because of their nationalities, the worse goalkeeper ever seen at Hearts given more chances than he deserved, where will it all end?

Relegation. That is my prediction. Play the young guys, give them a chance to see what they can do. But are these boys ready, and have they been properly coached? Youngsters lauded as amongst the best in Europe wish to leave us. Now that we are officially a bottom six side and have nothing to lose, by all means give them a chance, but do not base your squad round them.

The players we have right now are the best ?12m turnover can offer under this regime and frankly they are the poorest squad I have seen in over 25 years. This is testimony to the management, coaching and signing policy of the club. By all means clear them out when the new manager comes in. But will this manager be able to do the job in the traditional manner? By that I mean identifying players he wants, given money to buy them, plot his tactics and clear out the dead wood? I should not even have to ask this question!! But it is testimony to the state we are in that even this basic question is liable to be treated to responses that will be open to debate.

So, unless this club gets a real grip, returns to traditional management values, takes steps to "re-connect" disaffected supporters, I predict we will see more of the same only worse, and we will hover nearer and nearer the drop until the inevitable disaster happens and we are relegated from the top flight.

Supporters come to watch players, to watch their club, their team. Promise them big names, big stadiums all you want but as Wallace Mercer memorably stated, the fans don't care a jot about big ideas, all they want to see is a winning team on the park.

The last I looked, that was what football was all about.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
King of the North

You will probably get dogs abuse from some quarters - doesn't mean you are wrong.

We are royally fecked.

The debt is huge, yet we need serious spending to get anywhere near a respectable squad again. That's the price for having a sugar daddy who won't spend any of his own money.

So do we cut costs even more, to service a debt that is already unmanageable? Or spend yet more to get something approaching a respectable team?

Where do we go from here?

The OP is spot on. We are truly fecked. Anyone who thinks we could ever trade our way out of this mess is as deluded as Vlad was when he said we'd win the Champions League.

I believe that in the next year or so, we could find ourselves in the same situation as Gretna - struggling to exist.

There will be no new stand at Tynie, no new manager, and no club if this mess continues.

We need to cut our cloth accordingly and start living within our means. Even then, we can never trade our way out of this debt.

It's not just Romanov to blame though, although he is a huge part in our predicament. CPR is just as culpable. Our once famous club will be lucky to be here in 5 years, never mind winning the CL.

sandyseymour

I am very concerned about the future of Heart of Midlothian FC as I believe we are in a downward spiral

Season 06/05 - 2nd ; 06/07 - 4th ; 07/08 - 7th? yep that's a downward spiral.....08/09>>>>>>>>>:sad:

I am very concerned about the future of Heart of Midlothian FC as I believe we are in a downward spiral that is going to be exceptionally difficult to pull out of.

In any business, if there is no direction, no leadership, no forward planning, not taking notice of trends, poor business decisions that do not take account of long term consequences, poor treatment of your stock customers, delusion, paranoia and megalomania and total failure to listen to advice except that from your own appointed yes-men, you are heading for disaster.

I believe we are caught up in the scenario right now at Hearts and I cannot see where the will is going to come from to stop it. When Leslie Deans and Chris Robinson had the row that caused the split between them, few could have predicted the terrible consequences that would follow. The SMG plan was flawed from the start and Deans recognised this. Robinson, already starting to show the symptoms of megalomania, would not listen to advice and agreed to the deal which ultimately led Hearts to where we are today.

By any standards, we should have went out of business in 2005, or at least cut the emotional cord of our attachment to Tynecastle and sold the Stadium, paid off our crippling debts and started afresh at Murrayfield, hoping that somewhere a new stadium plan would have arose. We did not do this, I for one was against this at the time, but now accept that this I was wrong.

A man then came in we could only dream about during the very worst moments of that era ie the decision by the board to sell Tynecastle. All we saw in this man was a multi-millionaire who was a football fanatic, who had extravagant plans for Hearts.

Naturally when you are near death, you grab onto any lifeline without stopping to think of any possible consequences. What is worse than death?

But after three years it is now in the minds of many that this white knight is not what he seemed at the time. And bit by bit he has eroded the good will in which he rode in on to the point now that lifelong Hearts fans speak of "disconnection" from their club. A word I have previously never heard in relation to supporting Heart of Midlothian FC.

The concept of a manager has been eradicated from Heart of Midlothian. Regardless of all the semantics as to what role a manager has in today's game, we have not had one in the traditional sense since George Burley. Very few believe we will get a strong, independant, experienced manager again.

This season saw us plumb depths not seen for years with a turnover figure higher than we could have previously dreamed off. All the pain has been self inflicted, committees, faxes, magic wands, monkeys, black boxes, players picked because of their nationalities, the worse goalkeeper ever seen at Hearts given more chances than he deserved, where will it all end?

Relegation. That is my prediction. Play the young guys, give them a chance to see what they can do. But are these boys ready, and have they been properly coached? Youngsters lauded as amongst the best in Europe wish to leave us. Now that we are officially a bottom six side and have nothing to lose, by all means give them a chance, but do not base your squad round them.

The players we have right now are the best ?12m turnover can offer under this regime and frankly they are the poorest squad I have seen in over 25 years. This is testimony to the management, coaching and signing policy of the club. By all means clear them out when the new manager comes in. But will this manager be able to do the job in the traditional manner? By that I mean identifying players he wants, given money to buy them, plot his tactics and clear out the dead wood? I should not even have to ask this question!! But it is testimony to the state we are in that even this basic question is liable to be treated to responses that will be open to debate.

So, unless this club gets a real grip, returns to traditional management values, takes steps to "re-connect" disaffected supporters, I predict we will see more of the same only worse, and we will hover nearer and nearer the drop until the inevitable disaster happens and we are relegated from the top flight.

Supporters come to watch players, to watch their club, their team. Promise them big names, big stadiums all you want but as Wallace Mercer memorably stated, the fans don't care a jot about big ideas, all they want to see is a winning team on the park.

Excellent stuff, FJ

Charlie-Brown
The OP is spot on. We are truly fecked. Anyone who thinks we could ever trade our way out of this mess is as deluded as Vlad was when he said we'd win the Champions League.

I believe that in the next year or so, we could find ourselves in the same situation as Gretna - struggling to exist.

There will be no new stand at Tynie, no new manager, and no club if this mess continues.

We need to cut our cloth accordingly and start living within our means. Even then, we can never trade our way out of this debt.

It's not just Romanov to blame though, although he is a huge part in our predicament. CPR is just as culpable. Our once famous club will be lucky to be here in 5 years, never mind winning the CL.

Have you been asleep for 2 years? Why do you think Skacel, Webster, Pressley, Hartley, Brellier, Jankauskas, Fyssas, Barasa, Gordon, Bednar, Pospisil have all been cut fromt the wage bill and been replaced with Kaunas players and our own Academy players like Berra, Driver, Wallace, Jonsson etc.

We still have some more high earners / under-achievers to clear out as well.

Why do you think Skacel, Hartley, Gordon, Velicka & soon to be Bednar have been sold and the money put towards constraining losses & debts.

The losses & debts rises for 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons were very bad mainly as a result of the contracts awarded in 2005-06 season however since we went out of Europe last season cutbacks then started to be made, Kaunas players arrived etc.

The full effect of losing the big players from 2005-06 season will only start to show effect when this season & next seasons accounts are published (assuming we don't revert to big spending) and assuming that some of the current high earners remaining in our squad can be moved on.

Say we break even each season (which is likely I think from now on and most likely show a profit next year) and keep paying UKIO interest on the debt, why would UBIG shut us down?

We may break even this year, but only because of the Craig Gordon money. We cannot rely on selling players for this amount every year or two.

Pretty accurate analysis, though relegation is but a step on the way to the bigger disaster of extinction.

The problem is the solution is the problem. Moronov can't hack this: his ego and delusions forbid a rational outcome.

Who wants to take on the current debt, far less the level it will have reached when we have the biggest stadium in the Irn Bru 3rd division?

Somewhere along the line we'll be declared technically insolvent, or UBIG will be forced to call it quits to ensure their own survival.

Maybe it has to be a cruel end to give hope. If we kill the beast and write off the debt, we can get down the Meadows and re-form. Ok, it'll be a few years getting through the East of Scotland league and the rest of it, but who knows what might rise from the ashes?

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I am not really debating financial figures, I am stating that the club must take a grip of what I see as a downward spiral of the FOOTBALL team before we end up in what I see as a potentially catastrophic slide down a division.

The team relegated in 1977 had better players than we have now but they were effected by the malaise which filtered down from above. This was a club in the grip of an inexorable decline. No one believed it could happen then. It happened and it took 10 years to get back with so much pain in between.

It can still happen again. Learn from history or repeat it.

Have you been asleep for 2 years? Why do you think Skacel, Webster, Pressley, Hartley, Brellier, Jankauskas, Fyssas, Barasa, Gordon, Bednar, Pospisil have all been cut fromt the wage bill and been replaced with Kaunas players and our own Academy players like Berra, Driver, Wallace, Jonsson etc.

Why do you think Skacel, Hartley, Gordon, Velicka & soon to be Bednar have been sold and the money put towards constraining losses & debts.

The losses & debts rises for 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons were very bad mainly as a result of the contracts awarded in 2005-06 season however since we went out of Europe last season cutbacks then started to be made, Kaunas players arrived etc.

The full effect of losing the big players from 2005-06 season will only start to show effect when this season & next seasons accounts are published (assuming we don't revert to big spending) and assuming that some of the current high earners remaining in our squad can be moved on.

All very well and good (though it would have made sense to articulate this to a loyal and passionate support) but absolutely NO EXCUSE for the disgraceful and disgusting way the club has been run whilst making these cut backs. The regime may have cut the budget considerably but it has still been easily the 3rd biggest in the SPL yet we have underachieved massively due to the self harm and the decisions Vladimir Romanov has made.

Cost cutting could easily have taken place at the same time as us challenging at the very least for 3rd place under the guidance of an experienced football man. Instead we have splits at every level of our cub, from the fans to the players to the staff to the hierarchy. WE ARE IN AN ALMIGHTY MESS.

The Romanov's wasted a fantastic opportunity and whilst that was a sin in itself the last years actions / inaction has made things far more serious than that. They are now perilously close to putting our very future on the line and there is now such a gulf between them and the vast majority of the Hearts support that any successful future with them is difficult to envisage. Make no mistake (and you can spin all you like) Hearts are in trouble at all levels of the club.

jambos are go!

Time has shown Nostrdamus to be an attention seeking fake. Just another case of history repeating itself.

HeartyGraeme
Time has shown Nostrdamus to be an attention seeking fake. Just another case of history repeating itself.

LOL, nice one - yup, if you make enough predictions some are bound to come true!

I agree with most of the original posters comments though.

Personally i think vlad is "trading" off the success 05/06 season - we will get a true indication of his commitment with the appointment of our new manager.

Like many here im feeling this will be one of the most important decisions made at our club in recent times.

I'd never thought of Romanov being like Nostradamus. An interesting thought.

Thats right, you know whats really shows him for what he's worth....is this.

he has hired and employed top notch designers solicitors and architects to get the land project up and running he has had Cambpell Ogilvie and Charlie mann on his books who are both top men at their jobs. All this has been for the business side and other business interests outwith hearts. He is not afraid to spend on something he wants ie; the land he wants, planning permission etc; So he obviously realises that he needs to get the right man for each part of his plan.

When it comes to the footballing side of it, he could not give two fecks! thats why he has never employed a proper manager other than burley and thats why I have no confidence in him at all. Thats also why he keeps ploughing *****e from Kaunas because he does not want to replace the quality we let go. He knows he needs a proper manager but he thinks he can get away with pulling the strings himself cause he does not view the football side as important!, all he does is pops up now and again with a bit of spin and then he has another few months grace!

it's sad!

But we don't need to. Just drop ?40k a week off the wage bill (Tall and Pinilla is half that) and there's the break even figure. Get rid of 10 players who never play and there's even more.

Anyway, not here to start an argument with you or the OP, I just don't think it makes financial sense for the UBIG group to close us down.

I have to confess, I still think the mad one wants us to be successful but only time will tell I suppose.

It's just so frustrating that the OF are at their weakest for years and we could have won the league in the last 2 years with the money we've spent if we hadn't thrown it all away on 82 midfielders.

Cutting 2 million of the wagebill would bring wages down to around turnover but that by no means we would be breaking even. 100% wage to turnover ratio is unworkable in the long term.

Buffalo Bill

Good OP; from the heart.

Re the football side: the club has announced their search for a manager. I believe they have one shot at this, and one last chance to gain to the goodwill of the majority (not all) of the Hearts community. I just want a decent bunch of players to support.

Let us pray they do not **** this up.

Re the business side: the club (Vlad) have told us "not to worry" about the debt. So I don't. That's not to say I'm zipped up the back. I just think we are in this now and we need to see it though. I wish there was a third way. I don't know what to do about it, other than leave it for the Romanovs to sort it out. They are either crooked or they have serious business credentials.

My one hope is that Vlad has personal pride to see this job through in the correct manner.

Buffalo Bill

Interesting OP but I would disagree with FWJ on the sale of Tynecastle.

IMO the sale of the ground really would have been the start of the end.

Staying at Tynecastle gave Vlad breathing space to get things running correctly.

That breathing space is rapidly running out now. He has to make the correct decisions from now on.

Good OP; from the heart.

I think FWJ's opening post was among the best I've read on JKB in ages. It was from the heart, and from the head. From the heart in its passion and its fear for the future. From the head in the quality of its analysis and argument. Leaving aside the debates about the squad, the manager, the stadium and the debt, I'd just like to acknowledge a fine piece of writing.

We know that the club has said it will appoint a manager. But we also know that it shouldn't take months on end, and until the appointment is made we have no idea how good an appointment it will be. Not only that, but we just don't know whether the manager will be given the resources and the authority he needs to do the job to the best of his ability. So we still have much to be worried about on that score.

We also know that the club (VR) have said that the debt is not to be worried about. But excessive debt is always something to be worried about, and what else could VR have said about the debt? We don't have to look too far to see how debt because of one man's pipedreams or one man's mismanagement can cause catastrophe for a football club and its fans. So it's no wonder we worry about that.

Buffalo Bill
I think FWJ's opening post was among the best I've read on JKB in ages. It was from the heart, and from the head. From the heart in its passion and its fear for the future. From the head in the quality of its analysis and argument. Leaving aside the debates about the squad, the manager, the stadium and the debt, I'd just like to acknowledge a fine piece of writing.

We know that the club has said it will appoint a manager. But we also know that it shouldn't take months on end, and until the appointment is made we have no idea how good an appointment it will be. Not only that, but we just don't know whether the manager will be given the resources and the authority he needs to do the job to the best of his ability. So we still have much to be worried about on that score.

We also know that the club (VR) have said that the debt is not to be worried about. But excessive debt is always something to be worried about, and what else could VR have said about the debt? We don't have to look too far to see how debt because of one man's pipedreams or one man's mismanagement can cause catastrophe for a football club and its fans. So it's no wonder we worry about that.

Ulysses, although the manager saga and the debt problem is a (major) worry, I personally feel there is nothing I can do to influence it so thereby I don’t worry about it as such. I discuss it, I think about and I write about it, but it doesn’t keep me awake at night.

I think we are reaching a very important crossroads.

Once Vlad has chosen what direction he’s going in, then it might be the time to worry.

It's 50/50.

Buffalo Bill

davemclaren
Ulysses, although the manager saga and the debt problem is a (major) worry, I personally feel there is nothing I can do to influence it so thereby I don?t worry about it as such. I discuss it, I think about and I write about it, but it doesn?t keep me awake at night.

I think we are reaching a very important crossroads.

Once Vlad has chosen what direction he?s going in, then it might be the time to worry.

It's 50/50.

Buffalo Bill

I agree. The next few months will be crucial ( again ) in the future of Hearts. It can go the way that FJ states or it could go in a different direction. I await with baited breath which route we are to take.

gowestjambo

Well put FWJ, its a pity others can not see, or do not want to see - what is patently staring us all in the face!!

By The Light..
A good post from OP but......

Or am I missing something fundamental here:)

A good game of football now and then wouldn't go amiss, apart from 4-2 was there anything else of note this entire season?

Buffalo Bill
I agree. The next few months will be crucial ( again ) in the future of Hearts. It can go the way that FJ states or it could go in a different direction. I await with baited breath which route we are to take.

What gives me a glimmer (or is it a flicker?) of hope is the Jan 1st statement and a reasoning that surely Vlad has some sort of pride in his work. And er, that's it!

Buffalo Bill

I feel the financial side of Hearts if not controlled could get worrying, but I trust Romanov on that side of things, he is a millionaire and he didn't get that working a 9-5 job.

On the subject of the manager, I feel this is the last chance to, as you put it, reconnect the fans with the club. I watched the Liverpool Arsenal match and thought, why can't we have that, it was arguably one of the best games I have seen. The fans had highs and lows, football is exciting for them, that's what I want for Hearts. I've never been away in Europe for a game, I want to experience some of this

If we get the right guy in, we can play the good football with a decent team that don't run the club's debts up. That is all I want, Hearts have told us they are looking for someone, I suppose we have to trust them on that until the summer. The rumour is they have got their man and are just waiting until the end of the season, because he is still in a job with another team. We'll wait and see...

Charlie-Brown
All very well and good (though it would have made sense to articulate this to a loyal and passionate support) but absolutely NO EXCUSE for the disgraceful and disgusting way the club has been run whilst making these cut backs. The regime may have cut the budget considerably but it has still been easily the 3rd biggest in the SPL yet we have underachieved massively due to the self harm and the decisions Vladimir Romanov has made.

Cost cutting could easily have taken place at the same time as us challenging at the very least for 3rd place under the guidance of an experienced football man. Instead we have splits at every level of our cub, from the fans to the players to the staff to the hierarchy. WE ARE IN AN ALMIGHTY MESS.

The Romanov's wasted a fantastic opportunity and whilst that was a sin in itself the last years actions / inaction has made things far more serious than that. They are now perilously close to putting our very future on the line and there is now such a gulf between them and the vast majority of the Hearts support that any successful future with them is difficult to envisage. Make no mistake (and you can spin all you like) Hearts are in trouble at all levels of the club.

The change in direction could and should have been more clearly communicated and it would definitely have made things easier - however our owners probably consider themselves to be relatively successful business people and not accustomed to having to explain or be questioned on their business decisions which probably doesn't happen with Ukio / UBIG / FBK Kaunas & Romanov's other businesses to the same extent it does with a British football club which is exist's as much in the media as any business you could imagine so whilst it is not an excuse there probably is a cultural mismatch between the openness we expect and what the owners are used to or comfortable with.

Regards a manager / highly experienced football man - Romanov had three british managers in Robertson, Burley & Rix - put simply I think Romanov couldn't really relate with them and much prefers Eastern Europeans whose life-experiences probably more closely matches his own - I also believe this is why he has resisted appointing another 'British' manager until it became undeniable that it was damaging his team / business prospects.

However I think the football problems aren't really that difficult to solve nor that deep rooted or intractible - neither is the 'feel-good' factor - things can change very quickly in football a few decent wins & some decent performances and football fans will soon come round - simply put we all want to love our club - deep down we all want to 'believe' in our team. Just look at Motherwells transformation between last year and this year - night & day.

The financial problems will not be easily solved - neither shouldn't we worry about them - however we have been in financial difficulty for a long time now - well before Romanov arrived - and we will face some difficult financial decisions but unless UBIG pull the rug from under us then we can address the problems even if they might take a decade or more to cure - what the club cannot do is is live beyond it's means year on year or demand that Hearts & Romanov 'show ambition' , 'speculate to accumulate' and other such temptations that end up causing deeper & longer lasting problems than they solve.

The best post i have read on this page,its honest and its the bold truth,whether we like it or not

I discuss it, I think about and I write about it, but it doesn?t keep me awake at night.

Fair comment, there's not much point in losing sleep over things you can't control.

Here's hoping VR is committed, and that he has pride in what he's doing.

jambos are go!
What an exceptional and intelligent OP.

Dear oh dear. I fear for our country and our great club.

OK, you say we have been cost cutting since the end of Vlad season 1, yes?

And I can just about accept that our spends wont have been fully reduced yet to whatever figure is budgeted.

But can you humour me, much in the same way as I am humouring you in trying to engage in this shard of common sense that you and only you see in the manner Vlad is approaching things:

1. How on earth if we started cost cutting 2 years ago did last years accounts show we spent twice as much as we earned?

2. If we started cost cutting 2 years ago why wasnt Jose sold at the beginning of this season when we had a firm seven figure offer in from Celta Vigo?

3. Why was Fyssas offered a new contract?

4. Why was Tall offered a new contract?

5. Why has Pinilla been asked to sign the pre-agreed deal extension?

6. Finally, and most importantly, given you understand the plan, what sort of budget is, or should be, put towards our new manager, because your analogy seems to suggest a Frail type figure, certainly nobody currently outwith the SPL or with any pedigree

And in anticipation of what you might say in response to questions 2, 4 and 5 (if I am lucky enough for you to answer my questions) none of those players have shown ANYTHING which might suggest that tie-ing them up to a longer term contract might earn Vlad a cushy transfer fee. ?1m for Jose was daylight robbery for Vlad, for example.

J.T.F.Robertson
The change in direction could and should have been more clearly communicated and it would definitely have made things easier - however our owners probably consider themselves to be relatively successful business people and not accustomed to having to explain or be questioned on their business decisions which probably doesn't happen with Ukio / UBIG / FBK Kaunas & Romanov's other businesses to the same extent it does with a British football club which is exist's as much in the media as any business you could imagine so whilst it is not an excuse there probably is a cultural mismatch between the openness we expect and what the owners are used to or comfortable with.

Regards a manager / highly experienced football man - Romanov had three british managers in Robertson, Burley & Rix - put simply I think Romanov couldn't really relate with them and much prefers Eastern Europeans whose life-experiences probably more closely matches his own - I also believe this is why he has resisted appointing another 'British' manager until it became undeniable that it was damaging his team / business prospects.

However I think the football problems aren't really that difficult to solve nor that deep rooted or intractible - neither is the 'feel-good' factor - things can change very quickly in football a few decent wins & some decent performances and football fans will soon come round - simply put we all want to love our club - deep down we all want to 'believe' in our team. Just look at Motherwells transformation between last year and this year - night & day.

The financial problems will not be easily solved - neither shouldn't we worry about them - however we have been in financial difficulty for a long time now - well before Romanov arrived - and we will face some difficult financial decisions but unless UBIG pull the rug from under us then we can address the problems even if they might take a decade or more to cure - what the club cannot do is is live beyond it's means year on year or demand that Hearts & Romanov 'show ambition' , 'speculate to accumulate' and other such temptations that end up causing deeper & longer lasting problems than they solve.

Wasn't this a blatantly obvious strategy to follow from the beginning, though? Why so long before their "Damascus moment"? We've been living (way)beyond our means, for almost three years now. And if he's such a stickler for sensibilty, one sure-fire way of flushing that particular philosophy down the toilet, is to install yourself as manager and chief cook and bottle washer, at your most recent acquisition.

Wasn't this a blatantly obvious strategy to follow from the beginning, though? Why so long before their "Damascus moment"? We've been living (way)beyond our means, for almost three years now. And if he's such a stickler for sensibilty, one sure-fire way of flushing that particular philosophy down the toilet, is to install yourself as manager and chief cook and bottle washer, at your most recent acquisition.

Och - thats where the NMH economic theory falls on its erse at the very first hurdle.

He seems to think Vlad made some sort of economic misjudgement in the first season.

This despite Vlad would have known 1. the max capacity and therefore revenue from our stadium, 2. the likely Setanta money, 3 that our merchandising needed improved, 4. the then staff costs, and 5. the cost of all his shiny new players AND of our shiny instant hit manager.

And even then he couldnt have thought in his wildest dreams we'd sell out every home game.

Regards a manager / highly experienced football man - Romanov had three british managers in Robertson, Burley & Rix - put simply I think Romanov couldn't really relate with them and much prefers Eastern Europeans whose life-experiences probably more closely matches his own -I also believe this is why he has resisted appointing another 'British' manager until it became undeniable that it was damaging his team / business prospects.

Mate, the first paragraph truly is total rot. It has nothing to do with being able to 'relate' and everything to do with being able to manipulate and dictate to. He want's a nobody, a puppet, a lapdog.

The 2nd paragraph could have some truth to it in a sane and normal football club environment, our's is a million miles from that. We have no management team to speak of, we have a poor coaching setup and scouting network, we have players at all levels wanting to leave, we have no structure of selection at any level, we have a shambles of a first team squad with no balance of positions, no team spirit and less and less ability and we still have the dark shadow of interference from those who clearly have no football knowledge. No, it's not being pessimistic to say there is little to enthuse about on the football front, it's stating a FACT.

A total overhaul of the football side of the club needs to take place and all those who are now damaged goods due to the last 2 years need to be removed asap.

a first team squad with no balance of positions.

In Vlads second season - cost cutting season 1 - we had 5 players competing for right back. Neilson, Karipidis, Tall, Barassa, and Costa

Thats some fecking cost cutting strategy

By the end of Vlads second season / start of season 3 - so we're right in full swing as regards cost cutting we had around 8 supposed first team standard strikers

Put bluntly, a cost cutting strategy is the only attempt at a coherent argument that can be put together in an attempt to preserve Vlad's position as been one of good intent.

Yet it is totally and utterly full of holes

Charlie-Brown
OK, you say we have been cost cutting since the end of Vlad season 1, yes?

And I can just about accept that our spends wont have been fully reduced yet to whatever figure is budgeted.

But can you humour me, much in the same way as I am humouring you in trying to engage in this shard of common sense that you and only you see in the manner Vlad is approaching things:

1. How on earth if we started cost cutting 2 years ago did last years accounts show we spent twice as much as we earned?

Starting cost cutting is not the same as immediately accruing the benefit of such actions - like stopping a super-tanker it can take some considerable time & distance - Webster & Skacel were replaced with Berra & Driver then Pressley with Zaliukas / Karipidis and gradually more & more with lower cost replacements - but the benefit of this will only be fully felt in the financial years AFTER the 2006-07 accounts just published.

2. If we started cost cutting 2 years ago why wasnt Jose sold at the beginning of this season when we had a firm seven figure offer in from Celta Vigo? What was this firm seven figure offer we had? what currency? was it a written bid or reported speculation? what terms did they offer? staggered payments? Did it represent good value on money already invested in this player? do the club think given his age & potential we might get a better offer? Maybe the terms just couldn't be agreed - there are dozens of things that can go wrong in a football transfer.

3. Why was Fyssas offered a new contract? I don't know for certain but at that time with Jankauskis & Hartley & Elvis left or leaving and the possibility of interest in Tall & Goncalves they might have wanted to retain some experienced players? Something we have been short of.

4. Why was Tall offered a new contract? Tall & Brellier were probably offered a new contract so that like Hartley they can be sold on instead of walking away from free or very little - it makes still sense to try to make money on players even whilst trying to reduce costs overall

5. Why has Pinilla been asked to sign the pre-agreed deal extension? probably so the club can recoup something on him than lose everything already spent, our sunk costs - the undoubtedly has talent although he has proved to be spectacularly bad value - however getting a fee for him would be better than getting nothing.

6. Finally, and most importantly, given you understand the plan, what sort of budget is, or should be, put towards our new manager, because your analogy seems to suggest a Frail type figure, certainly nobody currently outwith the SPL or with any pedigree

A wage budget of 60-70% of eventual turnover is generally considered prudent - however how quickly Hearts can get there depends on how quickly certain players can be moved on and what future contracts are agreed with new or existing players. The higher turnover can be then the higher the player budget can be.

And in anticipation of what you might say in response to questions 2, 4 and 5 (if I am lucky enough for you to answer my questions) none of those players have shown ANYTHING which might suggest that tie-ing them up to a longer term contract might earn Vlad a cushy transfer fee. ?1m for Jose was daylight robbery for Vlad, for example.

I believe Hearts will aim to profitably trade players wherever possible - ie giving Gordon a contract extension in the hope / belief that his value was rising quicker than he was costing us per year in wages. Similarly Skacel & Kingston were value signings with decent expected future value if they showed good form - they were try-before-you-buy loan signings if they hadn't produced we could have let the loan / option expire. Without making profits on players then short term we would not be able to reduce the extent of losses - long term profitable player trading can start to make inroads into debts (as happened at easter road).

Regards a manager - I've no idea who will be appointed - it could be Frail although I suspect it won't but McGhee / B.Brown / Levein is probably the level we are looking at unless Vlad decides to pull a rabbit out the hat?

Glamorgan Jambo

Good post by FWJ -- the only point I was going to disagree on was the current team being worse than the team that got relegated in 1977 -- but to be honest I've only seen 2 games this season so can't really comment about debacles like Saturday and Dundee U away over Xmas/New Year.

I don't really want a great manager as I doubt any great manager would come but I am holding out for JJ or an equivalent to come in and really shake things up. I'd really like to see the appointment made before mid June to give the new guy a chance to clear out the dross/pay off the contracts of those who won't be part of the future/ and bring in a few of the right types of players -- personalities as well as skill levels -- to start the long haul back to some self respect.

But then again probably just over 50% of me says it's not going to happen.

Charlie-Brown

I recently posted 2 articles from George Foulkes on stadium redevelopment - one from October 2005 & one from 2 weeks ago in the Edinburgh Evening News - in both he talks about the urgency of stadium reconstruction as long term it is the only way that Hearts can with additional revenue tackle both debts & long terms financial problems AND afford to put a successful team on the park - in the October 2005 article it talks about Hearts moving to Murrayfield from the beginning of 2006-07 season until the stadium was reconstructed - clearly that didn't happen and clearly that would have impacted on the ability of increase revenue & attendances - the stadium would still appear to be some way off - yet the high earners contracts had been awarded in 2005-06 - failure to progress the stadium and failure to get into the champions league has seen an undeniable about turn in the clubs financial strategy at least in the short to medium term.

I believe Hearts will aim to profitably trade players wherever possible - ie giving Gordon a contract extension in the hope / belief that his value was rising quicker than he was costing us per year in wages. Similarly Skacel & Kingston were value signings with decent expected future value if they showed good form - they were try-before-you-buy loan signings if they hadn't produced we could have let the loan / option expire. Without making profits on players then short term we would not be able to reduce the extent of losses - long term profitable player trading can start to make inroads into debts (as happened at easter road).

Regards a manager - I've no idea who will be appointed - it could be Frail although I suspect it won't but McGhee / B.Brown / Levein is probably the level we are looking at unless Vlad decides to pull a rabbit out the hat?

Thank you.

Of course I can accept cost cutting. A mix of the Hibs model with the addition of the try before you buy Skacel and Kingston signings would do fine. With a good manager in full control we'd actually do very well

I just dont think it is being implemented with as much talent as you appear to think it is.

Which makes me worry if 1. it is the true intention, and 2. whether those running the club are competent enough to keep it solvent.

And I am sorry NMH but we could quite easily have been in Europe both seasons whilst cutting such were our resources but the fundamental problem has been that Vlad just cant properly run a serious (or what used to be a serious) football team.

There can be no excuse for our footballing plummet - none.

It is either incompetence or recklessness. Both of which should be just as concerning to you as they are to me

J.T.F.Robertson
In Vlads second season - cost cutting season 1 - we had 5 players competing for right back. Neilson, Karipidis, Tall, Barassa, and Costa

By the end of Vlads second season / start of season 3 - so we're right in full swing as regards cost cutting we had around 8 supposed first team standard strikers

Put bluntly, a cost cutting strategy is the only attempt at a coherent argument that can be put together in an attempt to preserve Vlad's position as been one of good intent.

Yet it is totally and utterly full of holes

Could it be there's never actually been a thought-out strategy, since day one? That's about the only verdict you can arrive at.

Could it be there's never actually been a thought-out strategy, since day one? That's about the only verdict you can arrive at.

What concerns me is that I think there has probably been a new one introduced every 3 to 6 months.....

First one was founded upon the advice of Byshovets

Second - Burley era

Third - lets see if I can run the team myself by hiring a desperate man

Fourth - lets work with one of my own as puppet

Fifth - lets have Malofeev run things but so that I can implement it myself through him

sixth - lets do whatever I can to turn players around for profit

BINGO !!

Much as a few would like to twist things time and again to make it seem like there has been a 'masterplan' the brutal reality of it is there ain't and everything has been decided on a wing and a prayer !!

J.T.F.Robertson
I recently posted 2 articles from George Foulkes on stadium redevelopment - one from October 2005 & one from 2 weeks ago in the Edinburgh Evening News - in both he talks about the urgency of stadium reconstruction as long term it is the only way that Hearts can with additional revenue tackle both debts & long terms financial problems AND afford to put a successful team on the park - in the October 2005 article it talks about Hearts moving to Murrayfield from the beginning of 2006-07 season until the stadium was reconstructed - clearly that didn't happen and clearly that would have impacted on the ability of increase revenue & attendances - the stadium would still appear to be some way off - yet the high earners contracts had been awarded in 2005-06 - failure to progress the stadium and failure to get into the champions league has seen an undeniable about turn in the clubs financial strategy at least in the short to medium term.

We can only hope there is a method to the madness, NMH, for if not, he'd have been as well leaving us to take our chances with the pieman. We might even have become accustomed to our new surroundings by now. :rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown
BINGO !!

Much as a few would like to twist things time and again to make it seem like there has been a 'masterplan' the brutal reality of it is there ain't and everything has been decided on a wing and a prayer !!

Do you really think it's credible that a bank (any bank) would give carte-blanche to spend tens of millions of pounds in 2-3 years without a coherent explanation of a) how that money is to be spent or B) how that money is to be repaid / the banks security on the money lent.

There was relatively relaxed spending & increased investment in year 1 (2005-06) there has been very rapid & undeniable cost cutting in years 2 & 3 since then - something major changed that summer - VR had spent bigger than we'd ever known in August 2005 & January 2006 - yet very little was spent in Summer 2006 much to the annoyance & disappointment of many - so if it wasn't the lack of stadium progress that cause the rapid about turn in spending what was it?

so if it wasn't the lack of stadium progress that cause the rapid about turn in spending what was it?

Nope it was the fact that ROMANOV was totally ignorant to the fact that knocking both Rangers and Celtic off top spot was going to take a s**tload more than what he thought it would and certainly after binning arguably the best person to come to Hearts since John Robertson broke onto the scene in the early 80's. He thought his expenditure would win us the league but it never came close to it in reality and all his other bizarre decisions culminated in both a sense of what might have been and the realisation that we were simply a rich man's play thing and any small success under him had been and gone.

Charlie-Brown
Nope it was the fact that ROMANOV was totally ignorant to the fact that knocking both Rangers and Celtic off top spot was going to take a s**tload more than what he thought it would and certainly after binning arguably the best person to come to Hearts since John Robertson broke onto the scene in the early 80's. He thought his expenditure would win us the league but it never came close to it in reality and all his other bizarre decisions culminated in both a sense of what might have been and the realisation that we were simply a rich man's play thing and any small success under him had been and gone.

That still doesn't explain why the Bank would permit & finance such extravagence as being rich man's play thing - there would have still to be a credible business or financial plan - there are plenty other much safer & saner places for banks to put their depositors money than loss-making football clubs, even though Romanov is ultimately the major shareholder of the bank there would still have to be a strong business case for the bank to grant such a massive spend over and above Romanov's 'belief' that he could successfully challenge - afterall the rhetoric that season was to aim to split the Old Firm - Burley talked about his aim / target was 3rd in the SPL and a return to European football - the possibility of being champions only became a possibility after our incredible start but the business case to get the funds would have to have been prior to that and the money put in place to get Burley, Jankauskas, Fyssas, Skacel, Bednar etc.

That still doesn't explain why the Bank would permit & finance such extravagence as being rich man's play thing - there would have still to be a credible business or financial plan - there are plenty other much safer & saner places for banks to put their depositors money than loss-making football clubs, even though Romanov is ultimately the major shareholder of the bank there would still have to be a strong business case for the bank to grant such a massive spend over and above Romanov's 'belief' that he could successfully challenge - afterall the rhetoric that season was to aim to split the Old Firm - Burley talked about his aim / target was 3rd in the SPL and a return to European football - the possibility of being champions only became a possibility after our incredible start but the business case to get the funds would have to have been prior to that and the money put in place to get Burley, Jankauskas, Fyssas, Skacel, Bednar etc.

You really are clutching at straws. Romanov does what he wants when he wants. If there is anyone at the Bank who can actually stand up to him (doubtful) then they probably only did so after the horse had bolted and lots of money had been spent. Burley's target was a knowledgabe and realistic one (probably another reason for him being binned) whereas Romanov didnt / doesn't have a clue, a good example being his reaction to the 1-1 draw at Parkhead despite us playing them off the park fo long periods. Seriously, have a word because your excuses and arguments (which to some extent must be being fed to you) are laughable.

Boaby Ewing

Firstly, Hearts debt doesn't sit on Ukio's books as far as I can see (and I've looked pretty closely at their latest set of accounts) - I presume it lies with Ubig.

Secondly, Vlad pretty much is Ukio - if you look at the shareholdings of the bank he is by far the biggest holder (by him or via his mother) with a huge majority. Ubig are the only other major shareholder... and unless I'm mistaken he owns or at least dominates that company too.

None of the board members individually hold more than 1 percent of Ukio's shares.

Archived