When did we start going to away games as fans?

i8hibsh

When did we (football fans) start going to away games?

I know that in my grandad?s year they would watch Hearts one week and then when we played away watch the Hibs.

When did we start travelling away in our numbers?

Your Grandad and his generation make me sickdown.gif

Aye very good TH.

I?m just curious as I have a feeling we only started travelling in mass to away games around the early 70?s. Can the older KB?ers confirm this?

fabienleclerq

I know that in my grandad?s year they would watch Hearts one week and then when we played away watch the Hibs.

My dad and his old man did this too.Might explain higher attendances.

Aye very good TH.

I?m just curious as I have a feeling we only started travelling in mass to away games around the early 70?s. Can the older KB?ers confirm this?

I think you'll find it goes back a lot further. My old man is in his 80's and I think in the 50s a lot of fans travelled to away games (despite the Hibs/Hearts week about tales you often hear of) according to him.

Speaking from personal experience , I can recall going through to Ibrox in the 60s for a cup game.

We probably need Bob Sharpe on this one.

My Grandad worked in Leith Docks as Docker. Him and his mates done this, Tynecastle when Hearts were at Home and Fester Road when Hibs were at Home. He was ALWAYS a Hearts man though, When I was born, 1965, he stopped going to Easter Rd and took me to my first game in March 1968, Dundee at Home I think!

He never once entred Easter Rd after that.

Francis Albert

There were always people who went to away games. But in the 50s and 6os and before(1) there wasn't much to do on a Saturday afternoon, certainly for the pittance it then cost to go to a football match (2) the cost (in money and time) of travelling to an away game was significantly more than the cost of going to a local game, whereas now (1) there are more alternatives to watching football and (2) the cost in time and money of going to an away game is, relative to the cost of a match ticket, much smaller.

So in the 60s I would sometimes go to see Hibs when Hearts were away.

But today when I could get to almost any Hearts away game in an hour and at a total cost not much more than a ticket for Easter Road, I wouldn't dream of it.

Going to ER one week and then Tynecastle the next always makes me chuckle. Can't imagine ever having the constitution to do that.

Different times, different mentality. But still........

:cornette:

Because I lived in Cardross (near Helensburgh) in a sense, every game was an "away" game and, I started going to some of the real away games in the 59-60 season and, there was a good turn out of Hearts fans at all the games.

From 1962 I started going to every away game and cannot remember any time I would have considered the Hearts support as anything less than significant.

I think Trains (specials) became more available in the 60's, supporter's buses from all over were up and running, not forgetting the buses that ran from St James centre this way of travel certainly contributed to the increasing numbers that travelled during that time

Charlie-Brown

Until the early 1960's for most working men Saturday was a normal working day although many worked a half shift. People had less time and money to travel away to Dundee or Kilmarnock or wherever so given the large crowd levels at all stadiums in that era it would seem that most fitba fans went to whatever match was being played locally.

Allowayjambo1874

Until the early 1960's for most working men Saturday was a normal working day although many worked a half shift. People had less time and money to travel away to Dundee or Kilmarnock or wherever so given the large crowd levels at all stadiums in that era it would seem that most fitba fans went to whatever match was being played locally.

I'm sure in a previous thread i read that the working week changed in 1962 and that is when people got the sat morning off. Before that i guess finishing at half 12 meant it would be too difficult to get to away games via public transport.

I reckon when supporters clubs started up and running then away numbers would have got up to larger numbers and i think thathis would have been late sixties early seventies. Even now nearly any mid week games is a struggle to travel back from on public transport.

john brownlee

I started to to away games by myself in 1960 courtesy of chuchhill/Tollcross I think most supporter clubs were well established by then in fact there used to be a page in the news that gave you the time and place of buses leaving, also the "specials" before the bridge it was better to get the train to some games

If you missed the bus at Haymarket, there was always others supporter buses left from there. I did go before that but always had to have an adult with me

not the same

ah those were the days

Hearts Heritage

In the early years the vast majority of games were played against 'local' teams. Indeed the Scottish Cup was played in geographic groups in the early rounds. That explains why we played Hibs so often in the early years of the Cup.

Special trains were being run in the 1890s for the 'bigger' games. So we had 'glory hunters' back then as well ....:whistling:

Hackney Hearts

In 20 years time the question will be when did we stop going to them.

When we left the SPL to join the new Baltic-Australasian League.

My father n law personally witnessed Hearts winning 9 trophies but can only remember being at one!

SCfinal1956ticket.jpg

yabadabadoo1874again

My father n law personally witnessed Hearts winning 9 trophies but can only remember being at one!

SCfinal1956ticket.jpg

North stand....impressive stuff : ) in the background of that famous pic !!!

J Cheever Loophole

Because I lived in Cardross (near Helensburgh) in a sense, every game was an "away" game and, I started going to some of the real away games in the 59-60 season and, there was a good turn out of Hearts fans at all the games.

From 1962 I started going to every away game and cannot remember any time I would have considered the Hearts support as anything less than significant.

My first Hearts game was an away game down at Killie and I only went to fill an empty car seat,relegated but I was in love from that day on, none the less.

ps.My uncle had a Barbour's shop in Helenburgh,they stayed in Kilcreggan.

It has to be recognised that up till the late 1960's many people had to work on a Saturday morning. My father went to Easter Road one week and Tynecastle the other with a Hibs friend and if there was a big cup match away, they would go to that. This helps explain why some clubs have record attendances at home to Hearts in the Cup. As a boy in the late 60's and early 70's I occasionally went to Easter Road with a friend who supported Hibs. Remember TV coverage was very limited, you only saw teams once a season and it was really really cheap to get in!

Once the Forth Road Bridge opened my dad took me to away matches in the likes of Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy and the support was fairly sizeable for all but matches at Ibrox and Parkhead. Pre segregation days only the very brave went there and we used to hide in the enclosure with no scarf on (or at least I did!)

I started to to away games by myself in 1960 courtesy of chuchhill/Tollcross I think most supporter clubs were well established by then in fact there used to be a page in the news that gave you the time and place of buses leaving, also the "specials" before the bridge it was better to get the train to some games

If you missed the bus at Haymarket, there was always others supporter buses left from there. I did go before that but always had to have an adult with me

not the same

ah those were the days

The Glasgow Branch were founded in 1947 and ran buses in the 50's. As I've said above, with home games being "away", bus travel to other games was routine.

U

SCfinal1956ticket.jpg

way off topic desist.

J Cheever Loophole

My first Hearts game was an away game down at Killie and I only went to fill an empty car seat,relegated but I was in love from that day on, none the less.

ps.My uncle had a Barbour's shop in Helenburgh,they stayed in Kilcreggan.

Life's a bitch and then yer deid.:thumbsup:

i remember my uncle (big hearts fan) telling me he had a scarf that was maroon on one side that he'd wear at tynecastle and green on the other that he'd wear at easter road,

Archived