Is anyone else rather excited about next season?

Goodfella

I was and to some extent I suppose I still am but the SKY deal and death of any chance of league reconstruction has been a bit of a sickener for me.

Still, we will need some excitement and if we do go down this route then the inexperience of these lads will certainly provide us with that! :lol:

All that said, I will be be on the glass half full train, just not enjoying the drink as much as was possible. I really do hope that folk are prepared to be patient with these laddies though, I honestly fear the worse for them if the crowd start demanding imediate results. :huh:

I was surprised to see the SPL quiff pay, at least lip service, to 14 teams!

I'm curious to see if the Tynecastle crowd can be supportive to young players thrust into the first team. Although I fear the worst from the moaners in our support, I'd love to see a young team really giving it a go. The last few seasons have been pretty dire, so I'd welcome an inconsistent young team finding their feet for a season over the boring dross we've had to put up with for the last 4 years or so...After that, who knows? A year under their belts and the young guns could be exactly what we all hope for...

It's time our support realise that if we truly want to make a breakthrough, the only way we can do it is by doing it ourselves by having a tradition of blooding youth so that young players would not consider leaving and others would want to come...

Fermit the Krog

Can't wait.

Sick to the back teeth of watching overpaid, mediocre shite besmirch the Heart of Midlothian jersey.

:angry:

I'm curious to see if the Tynecastle crowd can be supportive to young players thrust into the first team. Although I fear the worst from the moaners in our support, I'd love to see a young team really giving it a go. The last few seasons have been pretty dire, so I'd welcome an inconsistent young team finding their feet for a season over the boring dross we've had to put up with for the last 4 years or so...After that, who knows? A year under their belts and the young guns could be exactly what we all hope for...

It's time our support realise that if we truly want to make a breakthrough, the only way we can do it is by doing it ourselves by having a tradition of blooding youth so that young players would not consider leaving and others would want to come...

The best way to challenge for trophies is to bring good players to the club at the right age.

We can sign players from other Scottish clubs without paying compensation when they are 24 and players peak when they are 27.

The only thing exciting about next season is the fact the tramps might be in the 1st division.

Well said!

Post of the day!

Maybe history will repeat it's self. Will the playing of youngsters herald a new golden age for Hearts just as Davie McLeans blooding of players such as Conn, Bauld and warhaugh did just prior to the previous golden age in the 50's? Will the Heats be under new ownership - and if so will the present manager still be inpost? Looks like interesting times ahead. All aboard the roller coaster!

It's getting worse than christmas,threads like these get earlier and earlier every year(footballing year that is).

Thats what i was thinking! FFS have we thrown in the towel for this season already???

Still got the cup to go and i`d like to see us hit a bit long term form in the league to at least get europe again....

Football is a challenge. You don`t always get it going your way but thats the test.....how can you recover and come through the poor times?

I got excited about next season last season. And the season before that.

Ultimately it ends in disappointment.

What I am noticing however,is that each year for the last 4 years I've found myself with a "will I renew" dilemma, and each of those four years, that dilemma has manifested itself in to my thoughts earlier and earlier in the season.

I think my first "will I renew" thoughts came in early October this year. Earlier than ever before. And moreso than ever before, the answer is closer to no than it is to yes.

Maybe history will repeat it's self. Will the playing of youngsters herald a new golden age for Hearts just as Davie McLeans blooding of players such as Conn, Bauld and warhaugh did just prior to the previous golden age in the 50's? Will the Heats be under new ownership - and if so will the present manager still be inpost? Looks like interesting times ahead. All aboard the roller coaster!

The terrible trio never won their trophies until they were at a good age. Nowadays they'd all be away by the time they were 23/24.

The terrible trio never won their trophies until they were at a good age. Nowadays they'd all be away by the time they were 23/24.

True - but after their introduction into the team in 48/49 Hearts were seldom out of the top four in the league and the football played by them was excellent (so my Dad and Grandad always said). Their introduction also led to a reliance on younger players at Hearts over the next decade - Dave Mackay, John Cumming, Alec Young and others were all brought into the first team and Hearts seldom had to venture into the transfer market. That's the way forward for us again. We've got a good crop of youngsters just now and maybe their time has come.

Thats what i was thinking! FFS have we thrown in the towel for this season already???

Still got the cup to go and i`d like to see us hit a bit long term form in the league to at least get europe again....

Football is a challenge. You don`t always get it going your way but thats the test.....how can you recover and come through the poor times?

That's my view too, although if current league form continues and we make our usual shoddy contribution in the Cup (can't fall at the first hurdle, surely?), the season will be over and there will be nothing to look forward to except next season. I must admit to having been mightily put out when JJ arrived at the club in January 2010 and promptly made a four-month rebuillding exercise out of a season which, prior to his appointment, still had some life in it. I hope the fans aren't going to have to put up with that kind of thing again this season, but I have my fears. Maybe the club should sell half-season tickets that run from August to December.

As for next season, I haven't a clue whether all the predictions of a team composed mainly of youngsters will turn out to be accurate. A lot of people obviously set considerably more store by the statements that appear on the club's website and in the press than I do.

jamboinglasgow

True - but after their introduction into the team in 48/49 Hearts were seldom out of the top four in the league and the football played by them was excellent (so my Dad and Grandad always said). Their introduction also led to a reliance on younger players at Hearts over the next decade - Dave Mackay, John Cumming, Alec Young and others were all brought into the first team and Hearts seldom had to venture into the transfer market. That's the way forward for us again. We've got a good crop of youngsters just now and maybe their time has come.

Its funny, someone mentioned Dave Bowman on another thread, so I went onto wikipedia look at his page and this part caught my eye:

Bowman and future Hearts and Scotland team-mate John Robertson were ball boys together at Meadowbank Thistle's matches. In 1980 the two school-friends both signed for Hearts and were quickly thrust into first team duty at a time when the club were in a dire financial state and forced to rely on youth. Bowman made his Hearts debut aged only 16 and had captained the side by the time he was 18.

I dont think it is a coincidence that some of our best seasons at Hearts have come in the seasons after we have taken a chance on a number of young players and built them into a team.

Snake Plissken

For so long as we can win something, I'll still excited about this season.

We are well overdue a decent cup run.

Problem Officer?

The fact is that if these youngsters were in any way good enough, they'd be played.

If we are relying on them alone next year, there's a good chance we'll struggle. If any of them turn out to be good we'll sell them.

Tough times ahead.

Correct.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Nail, hit, head.

Correct.

I am sorry but that is definitely not the nail hit on the head and just as likely incorrect. :huh:

jamboinglasgow

I am sorry but that is definitely not the nail hit on the head and just as likely incorrect. :huh:

It also ignores the problem that managers are risk averse so less likely to give a youngster a chance unless they are built like someone years older then someone of their age or somehow has the experence of a veteran player.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It also ignores the problem that managers are risk averse so less likely to give a youngster a chance unless they are built like someone years older then someone of their age or somehow has the experence of a veteran player.

That is a part of it certainly... This whole simplified view on the U19s and "if they were good enough, then why are they not already in the team?" thing is just ridiculous imo. There are a multitude of other reasons that spring to mind before you even think in any way deep in to it.

Not saying they are all going to be good enough either though, mind... Just that claiming they must not be good enough because they are not already established in the first team at nineteen and under is a mental thing to say.

Archived