Is anyone else rather excited about next season?

Goodfella

Provided Hearts are still in existence of course... :whistling: I'm quite looking forward to seeing a clutch of youngsters from the academy in the team for the first time, and not having to see such a bloated squad. I was disappointed with a few of our signings in the summer, not because any of them are poor players, but because it only increased our playing staff which we didn't need.

Some of this clubs best football and best playing time came under promotion of young players from the youth team - mixed with bargain signings, just look at the 50's, 80's and late 90's for examples. Could be an exciting time, although some supporters may have to re-adjust their expectations and need to pay as patient as possible for the development of these young guys.

Even though off the field Hearts are potentially staring into a crisis, on the field we just might have a young, exciting and financially sustainable squad as compared to previous seasons. Thoughts?

Will certainly be interesting having a team full of youngsters, although mid table would probably where we would end up i reckon.

That said, Hearts say one thing and do another. Expect another 3 or 4 signings on decent wages!

Provided Hearts are still in existence of course... :whistling: I'm quite looking forward to seeing a clutch of youngsters from the academy in the team for the first time, and not having to see such a bloated squad. I was disappointed with a few of our signings in the summer, not because any of them are poor players, but because it only increased our playing staff which we didn't need.

Some of this clubs best football and best playing time came under promotion of young players from the youth team - mixed with bargain signings, just look at the 50's, 80's and late 90's for examples. Could be an exciting time, although some supporters may have to re-adjust their expectations and need to pay as patient as possible for the development of these young guys.

Even though off the field Hearts are potentially staring into a crisis, on the field we just might have a young, exciting and financially sustainable squad as compared to previous seasons. Thoughts?

It's getting worse than christmas,threads like these get earlier and earlier every year(footballing year that is).

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I was and to some extent I suppose I still am but the SKY deal and death of any chance of league reconstruction has been a bit of a sickener for me.

Still, we will need some excitement and if we do go down this route then the inexperience of these lads will certainly provide us with that! :lol:

All that said, I will be be on the glass half full train, just not enjoying the drink as much as was possible. I really do hope that folk are prepared to be patient with these laddies though, I honestly fear the worse for them if the crowd start demanding imediate results. :huh:

Craig Herbertson

With a few breaks of the ball this season could have been quite exciting. Still could be if anything good comes of the cup. I remain optimistic

I'm looking forward to it as well. I think that as long as the young players are as committed as they can be and are professional, then the majority of supporters will be happy with that. It will be hard to gauge how well or badly we will do until we are a well into the season.

Johanes de Silentio

It's getting worse than christmas,threads like these get earlier and earlier every year(footballing year that is).

Understandable, though - I had the same feeling for a good few seasons now, as in 'man, it'll be great once we get rid of the clutter that is player x, y, and z.'

Pre-season 2005/06 was really exciting, imo - not least because we'd cleared out guys like Hamill, Wyness, Burchill, Moilanen, et al - even before that magical pre-season friendly against Middlesborough, it was exciting.

No, but thanks for asking :thumbsup:

alwaysthereinspirit

:yucky::blink::down::verymad::mellow::huh::lol:

Understandable, though - I had the same feeling for a good few seasons now, as in 'man, it'll be great once we get rid of the clutter that is player x, y, and z.'

Pre-season 2005/06 was really exciting, imo - not least because we'd cleared out guys like Hamill, Wyness, Burchill, Moilanen, et al - even before that magical pre-season friendly against Middlesborough, it was exciting.

PA,we say the same every pre season or every season that we have been let down again,not saying it's a bad thing to look forward,but it's pretty futile given what we've been through the last 7 years,bar one season it's been pretty much a let down.

TBH,if,and it's a big if,we play with the U 21 and a couple of scattered older pros we are looking at a top 6 being finish being not to bad a season,when we got rid of clutter in years gone by it was usually the dead wood but this time it's looking like ALL the better players going,time will tell though.

Tokyo Drifter

Hear what you're saying about previous generations but Vlad has talked about "blooding" youngsters before and what did we get? Jamie Mole, Clum etc. Personally I'm not convinced we've got anybody coming through who can do it for us where it matters - up front.

On a (slightly) separate topic, why is it that Hibs bring through so many good young goal-scorers - Fletcher, Riordan, Witherspoon etc - and we don't?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Hear what you're saying about previous generations but Vlad has talked about "blooding" youngsters before and what did we get? Jamie Mole, Clum etc. Personally I'm not convinced we've got anybody coming through who can do it for us where it matters - up front.

On a (slightly) separate topic, why is it that Hibs bring through so many good young goal-scorers - Fletcher, Riordan, Witherspoon etc - and we don't?

If you mean Wotherspoon, I would rather have Templeton or Novikovas personally. :ermm:

During and around the same seasons as Elliot and Mole came through, we also brought through Driver, Wallace, Jonsson and Berra.

Have you seen any of our players that are set to come through play very often to make this assumption about them then?

Johanes de Silentio

PA, we say the same every pre-season or every season

No we don't - it's hard to get excited when our squad is bloated with players who don't produce.

No, no point in getting excited about next season, it's one thing bringing in young players, as one of the all-time greatest managers said... "you win nothing with kids" but adding a few experienced players who've done the rounds can always help develop them. Look back at the early 80's people like Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clark, Donald Park, Sandy Jardine etc etc.. helped develop John Robertson, Gary Mackay, Davie Bowman etc.. then again in the 90's the likes of Pasquale Bruno, David Weir, Dave McPherson, John Robertson etc.. helped in the development of Paui Ritchie, Alan McManus, Gary Naysmith along with good young signings like Neil McCann and Colin Cameron.

Although we do need to get rid of probably half the team we'll still need one or two quality signings to help move the club on. If they don't do this and just rely on youngsters then they'll likely find the season ticket sales'll be down a bit. Nothing to do with the young laddies just because the season would likely be a struggle without some well thought out and finely tuned experienced guys in the team.

No we don't - it's hard to get excited when our squad is bloated with players who don't produce.

Yes we do,before every new season starts there is at least 5 "are you exited about the coming season" threads,this season it's come a tad earlier than usual.

Johanes de Silentio

No, no point in getting excited about next season, it's one thing bringing in young players, as one of the all-time greatest managers said... "you win nothing with kids" but adding a few experienced players who've done the rounds can always help develop them. Look back at the early 80's people like Jimmy Bone, Sandy Clark, Donald Park, Sandy Jardine etc etc.. helped develop John Robertson, Gary Mackay, Davie Bowman etc.. then again in the 90's the likes of Pasquale Bruno, David Weir, Dave McPherson, John Robertson etc.. helped in the development of Paui Ritchie, Alan McManus, Gary Naysmith along with good young signings like Neil McCann and Colin Cameron.

Although we do need to get rid of probably half the team we'll still need one or two quality signings to help move the club on. If they don't do this and just rely on youngsters then they'll likely find the season ticket sales'll be down a bit. Nothing to do with the young laddies just because the season would likely be a struggle without some well thought out and finely tuned experienced guys in the team.

If things go according to how they seem to be planned, there should still be a smattering of fairly experienced pros around to help the youngsters.

Those with contracts that go beyond next summer (if I've got this right) include Hamill, Grainger, Barr, Webster, Driver, Temps, Sutton, Taouil, Zal, and Mrowiec - perhaps not quite quailty experience in all cases, and some of those might move on as well, but I doubt the plan is to leave the youngsters to get on with it without at least some experienced players on hand.

Johanes de Silentio

Yes we do,before every new season starts there is at least 5 "are you exited about the coming season" threads,this season it's come a tad earlier than usual.

I can only speak for myself - I don't do that - not everyone does.

Quite looking forward to clearing the decks with a long overdue clearout.

I can only speak for myself - I don't do that - not everyone does.

Quite looking forward to clearing the decks with a long overdue clearout.

Sorry when I say "we all do" what was meant is that every season some start threads about how exited they are about the ending of this season and the start of the next,that was my point about it getting earlier and earlier,like christmas adverts and things.

jamboinglasgow

If you mean Wotherspoon, I would rather have Templeton or Novikovas personally. :ermm:

During and around the same seasons as Elliot and Mole came through, we also brought through Driver, Wallace, Jonsson and Berra.

Have you seen any of our players that are set to come through play very often to make this assumption about them then?

Thats my view as well, we have brought through young talent, but in small batches, Novikovas and Templeton came through around the same time at the start of 09/10 season and Robinson came through that season as well.

I am excited about next season and seeing a number of youngsters come through. I know people are saying this happens every season we keep thinking youngsters will come through, and they dont but there is a big difference for next season, we need to clear out our players, with so many players who will be out of contract (and from rumours on here and reports in the papers Stevenson, McDonald and Jonsson will only be the ones offered a new contract among the first team players) and contracted players Zaliukas, Driver, Sutton, Templeton and Barr all looking like they may also be sold off if possible. I did a little working out of our possible squad for next season, I took the above, plus I thought we might also try to sell Taouil, but if not factor that in. And I have currently a squad of 22 players, of whom only 4 were not here at the age of 18 (so Webster is counted as a youth product.) If our manager is told that he can sign four players in the summer (free transfers) but they must be players that will help bring on these players and with the other experenced players in the team help them on and off the pitch.

Should we expect miracles from these youngsters in the first season? No. Could it be a season where we are quite inconsistant through out the season, maybe starting well, then going in a slump in the middle before finishing well, probably. Will the youngsters give us commitment, yup. Will they make mistakes which may cost us a few times, of course as they are young and learning. But if done right will it benefit us long term? Yes.

I know I can big up the youngsters at times, so I would caution against people expecting too much from the youngsters early on, they need time to settle in a team that will work together, they also need the fans to stay off their backs, if they make a mistake dont boo them, they may look a bit behind some teams at first as they get up to speed, but hopefully older players around them will help cope with this. One thing that may really help us next season is that it looks like we will have a stable defence, McDonald, Hamill, Webster, McGowan ®, Grainger. Three of these 5 have helped provide us with an average goal conceded ratio of 0.9 goals a game (and that includes the 5-0 against Spurs.) Point being if the young players in midfield and attack feel confident they have a strong defence who will back them up if anything goes wrong then they will be more comfortable in a game. It also allows you to tinker around, one week you could play Mullen instead of Hamill and he will be in a back four who can help him,

another week it could be McHattie instead of Grainger, or Ridgers instead of MacDonald.

I think if we put any targets for the team next season, it should be to aim for a top 6 finish. And aim to win a couple of cup ties. It not be ambitious but it should be the basis to start with a team who are starting from almost scratch in places.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Thats my view as well, we have brought through young talent, but in small batches, Novikovas and Templeton came through around the same time at the start of 09/10 season and Robinson came through that season as well.

I am excited about next season and seeing a number of youngsters come through. I know people are saying this happens every season we keep thinking youngsters will come through, and they dont but there is a big difference for next season, we need to clear out our players, with so many players who will be out of contract (and from rumours on here and reports in the papers Stevenson, McDonald and Jonsson will only be the ones offered a new contract among the first team players) and contracted players Zaliukas, Driver, Sutton, Templeton and Barr all looking like they may also be sold off if possible. I did a little working out of our possible squad for next season, I took the above, plus I thought we might also try to sell Taouil, but if not factor that in. And I have currently a squad of 22 players, of whom only 4 were not here at the age of 18 (so Webster is counted as a youth product.) If our manager is told that he can sign four players in the summer (free transfers) but they must be players that will help bring on these players and with the other experenced players in the team help them on and off the pitch.

Should we expect miracles from these youngsters in the first season? No. Could it be a season where we are quite inconsistant through out the season, maybe starting well, then going in a slump in the middle before finishing well, probably. Will the youngsters give us commitment, yup. Will they make mistakes which may cost us a few times, of course as they are young and learning. But if done right will it benefit us long term? Yes.

I know I can big up the youngsters at times, so I would caution against people expecting too much from the youngsters early on, they need time to settle in a team that will work together, they also need the fans to stay off their backs, if they make a mistake dont boo them, they may look a bit behind some teams at first as they get up to speed, but hopefully older players around them will help cope with this. One thing that may really help us next season is that it looks like we will have a stable defence, McDonald, Hamill, Webster, McGowan ®, Grainger. Three of these 5 have helped provide us with an average goal conceded ratio of 0.9 goals a game (and that includes the 5-0 against Spurs.) Point being if the young players in midfield and attack feel confident they have a strong defence who will back them up if anything goes wrong then they will be more comfortable in a game. It also allows you to tinker around, one week you could play Mullen instead of Hamill and he will be in a back four who can help him,

another week it could be McHattie instead of Grainger, or Ridgers instead of MacDonald.

I think if we put any targets for the team next season, it should be to aim for a top 6 finish. And aim to win a couple of cup ties. It not be ambitious but it should be the basis to start with a team who are starting from almost scratch in places.

All really well put and sensible JiG,

You have a good way of cutting through the associated bull-shit and fudge surrounding issues and coupled with having watched these lads a fair bit in your time, I thibk people could do a lot worse than to take what you are saying as good advice... You ofcourse know as well as I do though that after one mistake five games in to the season and after a bad result these boys will be as open to GTF and shite threads as anyone else in the past unfortunately. :(

All this youngster shit is bullshit.

If people want to see youngsters at Tynie then go and watch the U'19s

Our under 19's team would get relegated in the SPL - FACT.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Terrible advice... Going to Tynie to watch U19s is not possible right now as they play their home games at Riccy. :o

Plus, no offence here I8, you haven't really seen these guys play as much as JiG if at all so... You'll forgive me for not agreeing that he is talking shite eh? :D

not excited at all tbh, we are going to have a pretty average/below average squad and its going to be a long hard season with a mid table finish at best, remember we are going to likely see alot of good players leave,

so not looking forward to it one bit at the moment,

Malcolm Tucker

Are you being serious or...?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

not excited at all tbh, we are going to have a pretty average/below average squad and its going to be a long hard season with a mid table finish at best, remember we are going to likely see alot of good players leave,

so not looking forward to it one bit at the moment,

When the best case scenario as an alternative is merely finishing third and adding another few million to the debt while watching Black, Mrowiec, Sutton and co?

Nah, gimme the hope that we can move forward rather than spending a fortune to just tread water please. :)

jamboinglasgow

Yet we are not playing our under 19s team next year. Most likely we will still have McDonald, Hamill, Webster, McGowan, Jonsson, Stevenson, Grainger, Mrowiec, Novikovas and G. Smith. Are range of experence in there but still plenty of experenced players for which a team of youngsters will be built around. That team will not get relegated.

Point being, if the under 19 team was good enough to not relegated in the SPL we would be doing some fantastic. But there is a difference in what we are doing, we are not playing just under 19 players, we have experienced older guys playing with the youngsters, and yes next season may be up and down, long term if we get a few developing should be positive.

I8, you have become a very grumpy guy of late, what has happened?

The fact is that if these youngsters were in any way good enough, they'd be played.

If we are relying on them alone next year, there's a good chance we'll struggle. If any of them turn out to be good we'll sell them.

Tough times ahead.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The fact is that if these youngsters were in any way good enough, they'd be played.

If we are relying on them alone next year, there's a good chance we'll struggle. If any of them turn out to be good we'll sell them.

Tough times ahead.

Times are tough just now too though... So... Feck it, let's go with possibility rather than goodnight Vienna eh?

I would much rather see a team wi half a dozen hungry laddies in it than the current team. Provided there are a few experienced guys in the team I think we would be better to watch. Jury is still out on PS for me but I'm not sure he'll be here next season either. I was quite excited at the prospect but will wait and see. Bit of a fence sit but there y'are.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm very excited about us being out of the running in the league by the end of September. Again

Sweet dreams are made of this

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm very excited about us being out of the running in the league by the end of September. Again

Sweet dreams are made of this

The vast majority of the time in my 32 years that has been the norm anyway to be honest. Short term planning on big wages and fees has failed us against the ambition you mention so why not plan for a brighter dawn in a top class hotel tomorrow rather than continuing to blow a fortune buying drinks for ropey sorts in a midden with only poor future health to look forward to come the morning? :(

I would much rather see a team wi half a dozen hungry laddies in it than the current team. Provided there are a few experienced guys in the team I think we would be better to watch. Jury is still out on PS for me but I'm not sure he'll be here next season either. I was quite excited at the prospect but will wait and see. Bit of a fence sit but there y'are.

Not a dig at yourself, mate - but I can see many a supported getting pissed off with hungry young players if the results are not forthcoming.

Just hope...

The young players are used correctly.

They have good pro's around them.

The fans realise what the situation is - that a bad atmosphere at the games will not help the kids.

thumbsup.gif

This is not a complete dig at Sergio but I would be more excited if it was another manager in charge if youth is the way forward, he doesn't seem to be a fan of this aspect.

Not a dig at yourself, mate - but I can see many a supported getting pissed off with hungry young players if the results are not forthcoming.

Just hope...

The young players are used correctly.

They have good pro's around them.

The fans realise what the situation is - that a bad atmosphere at the games will not help the kids.

thumbsup.gif

:greatpost:

Couldn't agree more mate. I'm hoping for a team like the early/mid 80's although fans expectations are very different now compared to then.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

This is not a complete dig at Sergio but I would be more excited if it was another manager in charge if youth is the way forward, he doesn't seem to be a fan of this aspect.

But that would be assuming that the reason some of our younger players have not been getting a game is due to their age and not all the other possibilities like form, lack of experience, the form and ability of those in front of them etc.

But that would be assuming that the reason some of our younger players have not been getting a game is due to their age and not all the other possibilities like form, lack of experience, the form and ability of those in front of them etc.

True, there's just something there for me that think's he wouldn't be the best guy to bring in youngsters for some reason.

No, no point in getting excited about next season, it's one thing bringing in young players, as one of the all-time greatest managers said... "you win nothing with kids"

Hansen, was he even a manager?! Also, as has been said many times that quote and who it was about was totally ripped to shreds

I am always excited about the next season. More so than for Christmas, holidays or even when I am on a promise.

I was going to type this but Simon said it afore me! but icould be swayed on the promise thing--mibbey :D

Hansen, was he even a manager?! Also, as has been said many times that quote and who it was about was totally ripped to shreds

Yep, he said it as Man Utd were bringing through the likes of Scholes, Beckham and the Nevilles.

I think some folk are in for a shock if we have a first XI mainly made up of youth shortly..

Also, Sergio isn't the only manager in recent times that's been reluctant to blood youngsters, JJ, Csaba and many before them were the same, because most of kids aren't actually good enough for the step up despite the rave reviews on here.

jamboinglasgow

I think some folk are in for a shock if we have a first XI mainly made up of youth shortly..

Also, Sergio isn't the only manager in recent times that's been reluctant to blood youngsters, JJ, Csaba and many before them were the same, because most of kids aren't actually good enough for the step up despite the rave reviews on here.

actually only thing that JJ was holding back from bleeding the youngsters was the lack of the right figures to guide them. And Csaba actually gave a number of players their debut, though some came out of a need through injury problems. As Mark Wotte said recently in his press conference, managers are always averse to bleeding managers as they are under pressure to get results, so will go for the the average experienced player rather then the talented inexperienced youngster who may not be at the same level as the experienced player in the short run, but in the long run will be better.

I am sure they will appreciate your support.

Archived