Would you give up footy on the box?

Erik

I think that the vast majority of us are in agreement that football, at least in this country, is on its knees. The quality isnt there. The appeal isnt there. The passion isnt there. The crowds are dwindling. You might not agree with all of those - but I think nearly all of us can afree that there's something missing in the game now.

I've seen a fair few arguments suggesting that the finger of blame for this has to be pointed in the general direction of Sky / TV coverage. And whilst its not the sole reason, I find it hard to disagree with the fact that we are now spoiled for choice when it comes to watching football.

Its not something i'm guilty of, as I've always taken more interest in Scottish games than those from the premiership, but I can definitely understand why watching a high profile premiership game would be more appealing than sitting down to watch the likes of St Mirren play Dunfermline.

So how would you feel about football taking a step backwards in terms of coverage? Do away with live coverage of all domestic football, get all the games back to 3pm on a Saturday and let us make do with a MOTD style highlights package once a week. Limit TV coverage to cup semi's / finals and international games.

I'm not saying it'd all of a sudden solve all the problems we face, and in many instances, the lack of TV money might result in a few casualties along the way - but I cant help but feel this is possibly the best way to get folk back through the turnstiles. A trip to tannadice might not seem appealing just now when you have maybe 4 'better' games to chose to watch on the box - but if those 90 minutes of football are the only dose of live action you're gonna get for the week - perhaps it becomes a much more appealing trip.....?

I think in the long run increased gates and clubs which have to live within their means rather than relying on whopping sums from Sky / ESPN etc to stay afloat has to be good for the game?

I guess ultimately the question i'm asking is pretty simple - Would you sacrifice the current offering of live football if, all other things aside, it meant better crowds and a return to 'how it was'?? Or do you value your weekly dose of 4 or 5 games on the telly more than you value your matchday experience come Saturday at 3pm??

I know that in reality - there's no chance it'd be as simple as that - but..... for arguments sake, lets just say it was.....

No danger.

I often watch 3 games at a time thanks to Sky Go and streampro. As much as I loved the old Sportscene/Motd on a Sat night I'm far too addicted to worldwide football and not just domestic football these days to give them up.

I cant be arsed watching football these days other than Hearts games and even then I'd rather be at the match than watch it on telly. Come to think of it I've no idea why I bother paying for all the sports channels every month. Habit I suppose

TV has ruined football.

It's over saturated now. Too many games over a weekend. Its not healthy.

Friday night then Saturday lunch time might have 2 games then an evening ko and often night games then the same on a Sunday.

I've got Sky and ESPN and watching live games is getting less and less. If Hearts are away I'll watch it unless I'm going although that's quite rare now. If it's anyone else I usually don't bother. Spurs are playing later and I doubt I'll watch it.

Football has lost its mystique.

Iam going suggest the polar opposite, what about playing games at 6 or 7 o?clockon Saturday. (Similar to mid-week games.)

Theidea is to make SPL games and evening event, like going to the cinema. Grab agame then a meal etc.

Iknow I?m normally busy around 3pm on Saturday. For me I would like to get myjobs done then sit back and relax at the football or watch it on TV in theevening.

AlsoI think playing outside of premiership game time would help interest.

Itwould be a killer for away fans and wee kids mind you.unsure.gif

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Not really bothered about any games other than Hearts and Scotland... Watch them if they are on in the pub but not overly bothered otherwise.

Not really bothered about any games other than Hearts and Scotland... Watch them if they are on in the pub but not overly bothered otherwise.

This.

Although, I'd probably watch more football if I wasn't married.

I'd give up Scottish football tbh, a part from Hearts games and the odd OF game I've literally no interest in watching the crap that's on show in front of half empty stadiums.

English football I quite enjoy tbh, I'd not be too gutted about missing most of the games but the big matches I do enjoy watching.

Champions League is quite decent come the knock-out stages and the occasional group stage games so could, again, not be bothered about some of them being cut.

It's all pointless anyway as football on TV is more than likely going to be more frequent than rarer.

Being tied to the house for health reasons, I would really miss the football on TV.

Having said that, IF it was a major part of the answer to the problem, I would do with less if it!

Never watch the OF unless they are playing Hearts - or, each other (car crash syndrom).

Biggest problem, IMO, is it is an overpriced product!

scottish football was dead a long time before sky came into the equation

they just helped hammer the nails into the coffin

its not about TV football, people would be at their local club if the product was worth watching the people to blame are the coffin dodgers at the SFA

how can 42 member clubs of the sfl/spl be healthy for a nation the size of scotland.

our problem is that were stuck in the 1950's & since the bosman ruleing took hold & business men decided to rule the game the fans get absolute shafted

I cant be arsed watching football these days other than Hearts games and even then I'd rather be at the match than watch it on telly. Come to think of it I've no idea why I bother paying for all the sports channels every month. Habit I suppose

I cancelled my Sky Sports at the end of last season with a view to renewing in August but never got round to it and now I don't miss it at all.

Most of our games that are shown on it, I'm already there anyways and the appeal of the premiership was wavered too. If there is a game I really want to watch, I'll go for a pint and watch it in the pub, but even then it's generally got to be a good Champions League game or something like that to make me interested.

I'd bin it tomorrow for 95% of games if it was an option. TV money has been what has created ridiculous expectation amongst players for wages which are completely unsustainable in the game.

I would never go out my way to watch it. Heck I have to really motivate myself to go to Tynie every 2nd week

The only time I catch an EPL game is at the gym.

I like the Championship tho.

Same here can see myself cancelling them soon paying way too much for channels I'm not watching

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I watch every game thats on and record every game on dvd for future reference, I thought everybody did the same...:blink:

Switched mines off the other day. Other that Hearts, I don't watch sport.

I'd bin it tomorrow for 95% of games if it was an option. TV money has been what has created ridiculous expectation amongst players for wages which are completely unsustainable in the game.

I stream the 5% of the games I'm interested in.thumbsup.gif

I stream the 5% of the games I'm interested in.thumbsup.gif

I meant TV football in general. I don't pay for Sky. get ESPN as part of my broadband package.

the benefits of Televised football are a lot harder to spot than the downside for fans who go to games.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Being tied to the house for health reasons, I would really miss the football on TV.

Having said that, IF it was a major part of the answer to the problem, I would do with less if it!

Never watch the OF unless they are playing Hearts - or, each other (car crash syndrom).

Biggest problem, IMO, is it is an overpriced product!

Sorry to hear that Colin. :(

That's a fair point though right enough, I wouldn't be too bothered but for someone who was unable to attend it would be a bit shitty right enough.

I'd happily give up Scottish Football on TV if it meant a return to 3pm KO's every weekend. I am sure crowds would gradually pick up too.

I could then watch the EPL on a Sunday etc, meaning it's a win win situation!

This.

Although, I'd probably watch more football if I wasn't married.

because I am married I watch as much as possible (winds her right up)

Personally don't watch much of the huge volume of available footy on the telly although my boys do. I believe the answer is a much, much wider dispersal of the TV moneys to feed more than the tiny tip of world football's pyramid.

Always go to watch Hearts if I can and tape the game if it is on TV and only watch it if they win, apart from that SPL footie is a joke on TV compared to the Premiership in England, even the Championship is streaks ahead in talent compared to our lot.

I'd quite gladly give up TV coverage for the Scottish game but couldn't live without any football on TV. Ha;f the time its the only decent thing worth watching, regardless of who is playing

kingantti1874

I think the money sky has ploughed into English football has damaged Scottish football more than saturated coverage... You now have a situation where clubs in England's third tier can compete with the old firm for wages which means and talent which Scottish teams discover will be gone instantaneously as soon as any quality is identified...

All money paid to sky in Scotland should stay in Scotland. IMO

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

I like the Championship tho.

Same boat.

Much more entertaining than the EPL, and much more competitive league IMO.

Same boat.

Much more entertaining than the EPL, and much more competitive league IMO.

Very competitive. After looking at the table on Saturday I fancy all top 10 teams to get promoted this season. Just a shame only 3 can go up.

i'd easily give up televised football, and if it meant a better highlights programme then i'd be all for it, even moreso

What he said. Every word of it.

Notorious BIG

Prime example is at st johnstone earlier in the season, we got beat 2-0, it was live on ESPN, we would have filled that away stand if it had not been on tele and im sure there would have been alot more st J fans aswell, but instead there were alot of empty seats, means less money for the two clubs (assuming hearts get a cut), now i cant imagine many fans outwith scotland wanting to take in a SPL game on sky, bar OlD firm, so doing away with scottish football on the tele would be a better option. I know people in the past that have missed hearts games in the past because of a manchester derby has been on or London derby

I used to watch amateur, Junior, Hearts, and internationals. I now only watch Hearts

but next season if things don't improve I'll put my season ticket money to watch Sky.

portobellojambo1

This is the category I fall into. Because I have both Sky Sports and ESPN there may be a game on the TV but I'm not actually watching it, I'll glance at the screen when it is apparent someone has scored, but that is about it. If I'm honest even The Champions League I find a tad boring now, it is the same teams every year, the games are becoming very predictable, it has lost, 100%, the appeal of a knock out cup competition, and I cannot remember when I last watched a game on ESPN.

In short, I am happy to go along and watch HMFC 'live' every week, and if football was removed from the TV totally it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Football is meant to be watched inside football grounds.

For me we've reached the point of over saturation of TV football. I know that SKY have to show every team in the leagues they cover but it's pretty hard to get yourself excited about the prospect of watching Fulham vs Norwich or the SPL equivalent.

Even the group stages of the CL are an utter bore unless you get a week 6 scenario where two of the big clubs are playing each other in a winner goes through match.

Spanish football is just as bad - other than a Real vs Barca game what else is there to watch? While both clubs play some fantasic stuff it gets a bit dull watching them rout the opposition in what looks like a training match.

When SKY started with the original Monday night football (and by the way they used some fantasic tunes) it was something different and exciting - now a live game is just another game and I find myself watching less and less.

special agent oso

I got rid of sky 2 years ago as I was fed up with Celtic and rangers on every week , I have ESPN due to my virgin package , but never watch it, having a 3 year old boy playhouse junior is on more often than not , so I would glady vote for 3pm Saturday football and a highlights show

Quite enjoy chillin out on a sunday if theres a good game on but even then a lot of the premiership games are overhyped, other than that I cant be ersed with most of it. The champs league fails to get me excited most of the time,at least until the latter stages. Like most,the spl doesnt appeal,used to know most squads inside out,now spl players could walk past me in the street and I wouldnt have a clue. Only interested in Hearts and to a lesser extent,Scotland.

Made the mistake of attempting to watch caley v celtic at weekend,lasted until the sending off,[mod edit]farce.

Would be good to see grounds full again. Beggars belief that so much needs to change yet nothing does. No wonder folk are losing interest.

Sorry to hear that Colin. :(

That's a fair point though right enough, I wouldn't be too bothered but for someone who was unable to attend it would be a bit shitty right enough.

Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Reference your previous reply to "marriage" as an excuse for not going to games - ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Never stopped me from my marriage in 1968 (part of the honeymoon included Hearts v Morton in Scottish Cup Semi, and it was cut short to make sure I was home for the replay) right through until I went into ministry in 90's.

Tv allows me to see games I otherwise wouldn't see. I have the option to pick and choose what I watch - and that is much better than there only being the one week with live football on (the week in May with the Scottish Cup, European Cup Final and then Scotland vs England).

The thought of going without my fix of Italian Football just does not bare thinking about.

Agreed but as regards our game i'm in the "less please" camp.Without fans the game will die.

Perth to Paisley

Yesterdays Roma v Lecce had the goal of the season

Osvaldo was clearly onside but an idiot ass ref ruled it out

See you tube

Already have, along with my Season Ticket. Started watching a few games and frankly have not seen anything from any team, unfortunately, this includes the Herats, that would make me return.

Bigman

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The "product" is a red herring. People don't wake up on a Saturday and say to themselves, "I think I'll go to watch some Scottish football today". They go to watch their own team. And when their own team is playing in a competition it's effectively impossible for them to ever win, it makes it just a wee tad less exciting. Not everyone can win the league though, even in a more competitive structure, but lots of teams could improve the way they play if they were less likely to get relegated. Debates about TV are just skirting the issue. For Scottish football to get better something must be done to redress the competitive imbalance. Our problems will be repeated in almost every league the way things are going. It's already happening in Spain. Because we're 25 years further down the line we should have a head start but I won't hold my breath.

Livefootball on tv is sterile. You get these Man u 'fans' who were obsessed with their team but would't go to a live game. They don't know what they are missing. As for the spl all we need is a decent highlights package on the BBCat a decent time.

Not watched a full.live game on tv for about 3 years. It's dull

Footballfirst

I gave up Sky about 4 years ago. I used to watch just about every game they showed, but gradually the boredom set in.

As the "big" teams got bigger still, the group stages of the Champions League and Europa League/UEFA Cup became predicatable. Weakened teams in cup ties, Kick off times all over the place. St Mirren v Dunfermline meh! Empty stadiums, no atmosphere, Hearts playing away from home, predictable style and results. Anyone v Celtic or Rangers on a Sunday lunchtime not interested, I'd rather watch an academy game.

I use Streampro now and just flit in an out of the odd game.

The half hour highlights on the Hearts v Rangers thread was so much better than what we get these days.

I'd accept less live football if there were decent highlights!

TV football is not for the fans, it's for the armchair variety!

Archived