Holt & Robinson

Cammie_21

Reading through a few posts on here and I usually resist the temptation to reply to some of the crap that is on here but why oh why does everyone think this pairing will:

1) ever play together or

2) work.

After seeing Holt play a few times he must be about 10 stone if your lucky add that to the non physical presence of Robinson we would surely have some of the most lightweight midfield ever!

For me this is not the answer and the reason that most of the U19s arent in the first team is that they are all physically not even close!

mahgrassyshoes

Reading through a few posts on here and I usually resist the temptation to reply to some of the crap that is on here but why oh why does everyone think this pairing will:

1) ever play together or

2) work.

After seeing Holt play a few times he must be about 10 stone if your lucky add that to the non physical presence of Robinson we would surely have some of the most lightweight midfield ever!

For me this is not the answer and the reason that most of the U19s arent in the first team is that they are all physically not even close!

In terms of being first teamers, Holt is an unknown quantity. However, Scott Robinson has never once looked out of place in a Hearts midfield.

1) ever play together or

2) work.

Xavi and Iniesta. the best central midfield in the world, both midgets. Plus, wee Robinson can more than look after himself physically.

In terms of being first teamers, Holt is an unknown quantity. However, Scott Robinson has never once looked out of place in a Hearts midfield.

Your right Robinson doesnt look out of place in beside moroweic and eggert or skacel.

Play him in a 4 with say novikovas, holt, robinson, temps. Oh dear oh dear is all i can think!

1) ever play together or

2) work.

Without the reserve league we will never know.

I'm an adherent to the "if you're good enough, you're old enough" school of thought, so if they're good enough then play them.

It's the only way they'll get experience!

Xavi and Iniesta. the best central midfield in the world, both midgets. Plus, wee Robinson can more than look after himself physically.

I knew this would be someones unimaginative reply!

Xavi and Iniesta are 2 of the most technically gifted midfielders in the world Holt and Robinson are not!

Fxxx the SPFL

1) ever play together or

2) work.

:hobo: Alert

kingantti1874

Xavi and Iniesta are 2 of the most technically gifted midfielders in the world Holt and Robinson are not!

Xavi and investa play in one of the best leagues in the world... This is the spl.. Other teams have managed to introduce more young players than we have yet at those levels out kids have consistently proven to be better... Anyway it's all moot - it's going to happen anyway

1) ever play together or

2) work.

Here's a thought, lets focus our attention on what people can do with the ball (crucial,amirite? :smuggy:) rather than if people can run through brick walls. Do you know any muscular player who can run quicker than the ball?

We've had 60 years of putting brawn before actual football talent and it's got us ******* knowhere.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Your right Robinson doesnt look out of place in beside moroweic and eggert or skacel.

Play him in a 4 with say novikovas, holt, robinson, temps. Oh dear oh dear is all i can think!

Am I right in thinking that Prychnenko is a bit bulkier and taller? Might be making that up completely but I thought he was the more defensive out of our young mids and that he was the defensive-minded foil for Robinson when they were in the 19s?

Also I thought that Robinson and Holt were both able to play a few different positions between them and with the 5 man midfields that seem to be prefered these days, i think they would both be able to be accomodated if they were of a higher standard of ability than the other available players in the squad.

didn't say they were. The point is physical attributes are not as important if your technique is superior to what you are up against.

I'm not even saying Holt and Robinson should play fwiw, but their lack of height and physicality should not be the determining factor as to whether they play or not.

Dear Sir,

You are of course correct.

What we should be looking to do is fill the team with 6ft 5" giants who couldn't trap a bag of cement. Once we've bullied their midfield off the ball we should then just launch it into the box from any angle to see how often the ball lands at the feet of one of our giants and, one there, how often they are able to force it in with no discernible technique.

If we are lucky, Ryan McGowan might even find one of these bruisers with a long throw in, provided he grows 18 inches and puts on 2 stone to stay in the team. Only big strong laddies will do, technique is entirely superfluous.

The other advantage to this is, which is not obvious at first to be fair, is that those sat in the main stand can get a 90 minute game of spot the ball going to detract from the fact that the 1970's style football they are watching is tripe.

Under 6ft 4"? Your only place in professional football is fetching the ball and holding the towel.

Yours,

T. Pulis.

If you've seen Holt play you'll know he's not afraid to put himself about. I don't believe his height or weight would be a problem.

1) ever play together or

2) work.

I'll take your own advice and not respond.

Like when we played a midfield containing Novikovas, Templeton and Robinson against Aberdeen - our biggest league win of the season.

13 posts in 5 years and you start a thread slagging two of our brightest young prospects? Everything about you just smells of a hobo tramp.

mahgrassyshoes

That will never be our midfield. It's become quite apparent that, rightly of wrongly, we will be playing a midfield 5 for the foreseeable future.

You seem to be happier with Mrowiec charging around midfield with plenty of effort and minimal ability that the possibility of two young guys coming in and being able to play a style of football high enough that being kicked off the park would be irrelevant.

Whats pretty apparent to me is that, whenever any of the young laddies have gotten even a sniff at the first team, their workrate, effort and general hunger has been FAR more obvious than that of the 'seasoned' players.

Whilst its not the be all and end all..... it counts for a lot in my books.

cammie_21 you are just highlighting everything thats wrong with scottish football, scotland has been left behind by everyone els because we refused to change! the days of big strong players are long gone and its all about technical abillity now, a team full of skillful, quick players will always beat a team full of big, slow guys that can only pump the ball forward,

anyway getting back on topic Robinson imo can certainly cut it in the spl, as for Holt well only time will tell but from the very little i have seen he looks very good imo, not the finnished artical by any means but i think he would be able to cope well.

Robinson should of been starting from the beginning of last season. He's the best or second best player i've ever played with. He has a great footballing mind and is one of the fastest hardest working attacking players in the league. Baffles me why he doesn't play. Oh also, he may be what 5.7"? But he will win most of the headers he challenges for. I would put money on that. and if he doesnt win them he will certainly be up for the header or right onto the second ball.

Gregory House M.D.

1) ever play together or

2) work.

:what:

And after a bad run of results you should always sack the manager.

:lol:

Unfortunately, this is common practice these days. Vlad being one of the main culprits.

jamboinglasgow

That will never be our midfield. It's become quite apparent that, rightly of wrongly, we will be playing a midfield 5 for the foreseeable future.

You seem to be happier with Mrowiec charging around midfield with plenty of effort and minimal ability that the possibility of two young guys coming in and being able to play a style of football high enough that being kicked off the park would be irrelevant.

Completely agree, I think to get the most out of our youngsters we need to play a 5 across midfield (though the midfield 3 can play in 1-2 where a holding midfielder is sitting behind two agile, technically superior smaller midfielders (like Barca play) or play a 2-1 where the holding midfielder/ball winner plays along side a more creative midfielder, while an attacking midfielder sits between the 2 and the attacker alongside the two wingers/forwards (as in 4-2-3-1.) So for me the midfield would either be:

Prychnenko

Holt Robinson

Walker Novikovas

or

Prychnenko Robinson

Walker Holt Novikovas

Prychnenko (according to wiki) is over 6 foot, though if Eggert is kept on he can play that holding role as well. Holt is actually quite adept at playing against big strong players, I have seen him challenge huge guys in under 19s games and one of his strengths is being able to keep the ball close to his feet while moving with it and so though you will find big guys will go in, they will find it harder to get the ball of him and will mean we will gain more free kicks. He has gone off to Raith on loan, and that will help him be ready for the physical side of the senior game, I think it will be a slight wake up call for him at some of the guys he plays against but despite his slight looks he has the ability to cope. Robinson has already demonstrated he can cope against larger players, just Ian Black who is smaller then Holt copes with the physicality when he plays (problem is he is too physical and gives away stupid fouls.)

I think if we want to progress we have to give players like Holt and Robinson chances, as they are more skillful players then we have in midfield, if we want to do something different in how we play then we must play them. Though something interesting on a sidenote, does anyone know what height David Smith and Jamie Walker are?

mahgrassyshoes

Completely agree, I think to get the most out of our youngsters we need to play a 5 across midfield (though the midfield 3 can play in 1-2 where a holding midfielder is sitting behind two agile, technically superior smaller midfielders (like Barca play) or play a 2-1 where the holding midfielder/ball winner plays along side a more creative midfielder, while an attacking midfielder sits between the 2 and the attacker alongside the two wingers/forwards (as in 4-2-3-1.) So for me the midfield would either be:

Prychnenko

Holt Robinson

Walker Novikovas

or

Prychnenko Robinson

Walker Holt Novikovas

Prychnenko (according to wiki) is over 6 foot, though if Eggert is kept on he can play that holding role as well. Holt is actually quite adept at playing against big strong players, I have seen him challenge huge guys in under 19s games and one of his strengths is being able to keep the ball close to his feet while moving with it and so though you will find big guys will go in, they will find it harder to get the ball of him and will mean we will gain more free kicks. He has gone off to Raith on loan, and that will help him be ready for the physical side of the senior game, I think it will be a slight wake up call for him at some of the guys he plays against but despite his slight looks he has the ability to cope. Robinson has already demonstrated he can cope against larger players, just Ian Black who is smaller then Holt copes with the physicality when he plays (problem is he is too physical and gives away stupid fouls.)

I think if we want to progress we have to give players like Holt and Robinson chances, as they are more skillful players then we have in midfield, if we want to do something different in how we play then we must play them. Though something interesting on a sidenote, does anyone know what height David Smith and Jamie Walker are?

I think it's important a lot of them have gone on short term loans. They get 1 or 2 months experience where we find out what the season is likely to hold for us. They come back January/February time and they have 3-4 months to bed them in with the experienced players before a lot of them are allowed to leave on freedom of contract. The chances are we will still be in the hunt for 3rd or competing for a top-six finish. At the start of next season we have a lot of talented youngsters with a wee bit of experience and play them alongside an experienced back bone of Kello/MacDonald - Webster - Eggert - Sutton/Stevo/(to a lesser extent in terms of experience) Smith. There's also the likes of Hammill and Grainger who will still be in the first team squad.

The importance of all that working is PS having the faith to throw them in when it's perhaps it's not favourable ie after 60 minutes when we're winning 1-0 and the games pretty open rather than 10 mins to go 3-0 up and the game is all but over. As I said, Robinson has never looked out of place in our team, so there is no reason why Holt, who is thought of a a bigger star, would have many problems stepping up.

jambo in iraq

mmmm let me think who have Heart best midfielders been in the last 15 years...?

Colin Cameron

Paul Hartley

Rudi Skacel

Neil McCann

Bruno Aguiar

Combined weight = Christian Nade who was the perfect example of a big strong laddie who couldn't lace the boots of any of the above.

Get Holt, Robinson and Pychnenko in the team if they are good enough and they will soon be strong enough.

Colin Cameron

Paul Hartley

Rudi Skacel

Neil McCann

Bruno Aguiar

Combined weight = Christian Nade who was the perfect example of a big strong laddie who couldn't lace the boots of any of the above.

Get Holt, Robinson and Pychnenko in the team if they are good enough and they will soon be strong enough.

Do you know what age these players were when they started playing for the club?

1) ever play together or

2) work.

back to .net please :whistling:

Always been about balance of styles and ages. Need some power in the air and in the tackle and some experience. Pace nice too! 11 young midgets won't win even less than 11 bruisers.

Always been about balance of styles and ages. Need some power in the air and in the tackle and some experience. Pace nice too! 11 young midgets won't win even less than 11 bruisers.

Sorry should have read "would win even less"

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

This thing about being big and strong is why British football is lagging behind countries like Spain, Germany and Italy at the moment. It's a notion we really need to get away from.

Colin Cameron ~ 24

Paul Hartley ~ 27

Rudi Skacel ~ 26

Neil McCann ~ 22

Bruno Aguiar ~ 25

Do you know what age these players were when they started playing for the club?

using wiki i have approximated their ages

This thing about being big and strong is why British football is lagging behind countries like Spain, Germany and Italy at the moment. It's a notion we really need to get away from.

I assume when you go beyond Spain here you are talking about International football where the latter two have always been strong. EPL is probably stronger overall than any league and surely that is money related!

fabienleclerq

Colin Cameron

Paul Hartley

Rudi Skacel

Neil McCann

Bruno Aguiar

Tbf to nade he was probably more skillful than the above list just not very effective and had zero predatory instinct!

In reply to the OP only time will tell,i'd rather watch small skillful players over 6 foot huddies any day.That's not to say tall players cant play just

the short ones we have can.And yes iniesta and xavi are some of the most talented around but they play in the top/2nd top league in the world so the referance made by someone is justified.

fabienleclerq

I assume when you go beyond Spain here you are talking about International football where the latter two have always been strong. EPL is probably stronger overall than any league and surely that is money related!

Probably is money related but IMO they (Hearts players) should be in the gym with a strength condition coach (which i believe is in place now?) so maybe

it is just better training methods.

And as far as ive seen your right the germans and italians have always been big strong teams....they can play a little aswell though :D

Have 2 templetons on the wing, a big strong striker and a wee fast striker a big centre mid and a wee centre mid, 2 massive but agile centre backs a good goalie and 2 wing backs that can defend and attack. 4 big experienced player+kello is what we need! Fill the rest with young under 19's blood and we will be sorted in a year or twos time!

RoussetsShorts

every time i get ripped apart at 5's its always the younger wee guys with quick feet, lesson in there somewhere.

every time i get ripped apart at 5's its always the younger wee guys with quick feet, lesson in there somewhere.

That you're pish at 5's?

Drylaw Hearts

Yep......play against older guys with slow feet.

The Old Tolbooth

Quite simply, nothing to loose everything to gain, for gods sake try them, what are we getting just now? :huh:

Exactly!

Our midfield just now is complete and utter pish, devoid of any attacking ideas and creativity, and no one in there can string two passes together, it wouldn't hurt to let these lads have a go and see what they can do, we might just get a surprise and if rumours are to be believed then we'll be going down the youth route before long anyway.

Exactly!

Our midfield just now is complete and utter pish, devoid of any attacking ideas and creativity, and no one in there can string two passes together, it wouldn't hurt to let these lads have a go and see what they can do, we might just get a surprise and if rumours are to be believed then we'll be going down the youth route before long anyway.

Agree totally, why not give them a chance??

Would rather watch these two than Black & Mrowiec every week.

Johanes de Silentio

1) ever play together or

2) work.

The kind of backward thinking that has held back the game in Scotland for decades - well done.

If we are going down the youth route (which seems likely), we really do need experienced guys around them.

If not, there is a high chance of doing more harm than good.

1293497235y7Z6t7.jpg

Lightweight midfield IMO.

This actually worries me that people are half expecting this from these two.

What you will get is maximum effort and two young players who are not afraid to really put themselves about but also play a bit.

Archived