Scarf Throwers

rossmaroon

Is Scarf Throwing (Ever) Acceptable?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Is Scarf Throwing (Ever) Acceptable?

• Never, ever: total disrespect to the colours
    • Not on this occasion; the team had played quite well
    • Occasionally there is sufficient frustration to warrant this
    • It's a free country so leave each to his own

After the incident at Tannadice where a Hearts "supporter" threw his scarf onto the pitch in front of Gary Lock, what do you think? Was the guty entitled to his opinion or did he deserve the absolute pelters he got from the majority pf fans?

Probably deserved it i'd say, I wouldn't stop anyone that's up to them but to me, a fan throwing a scarf on the pitch is the equivalent of a player taking the top off and throwing it to the floor IMO. Disrespect to the colours and to be fair pretty childish.

The guy is perfectly entitled to do what he wants with his scarf.

That does include acting like a spoilt child too.

Still can't work out where it was thrown from. If it was one of the guys at the back of the Upper Tier who were going mental near the end, we should give him a trial and see if he's got a right foot too. That was some aim.

Better call Saul

Still can't work out where it was thrown from. If it was one of the guys at the back of the Upper Tier who were going mental near the end, we should give him a trial and see if he's got a right foot too. That was some aim.

was def upper tier right in the middle Below us ! few guys around us were giving the suspect it tight ( lots of swear words etc ) although when the scarf was thrown it was hard to say who actually threw it :angry:

Obviously his/her scarf so they can do what they want with, always makes me cringe though. Especially after a narrow 1-0 defeat at one of our toughest grounds to go to and where we were the better team. Calm down dear.

was def upper tier right in the middle Below us ! few guys around us were giving the suspect it tight ( lots of swear words etc ) although when the scarf was thrown it was hard to say who actually threw it :angry:

So were the guys at the back going mental at the scarf-thrower? All I could hear was "You're not a proper Hearts man" type stuff. For one horrible moment I thought they were shouting at Gary Locke.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

He can do what he wants, it's his right... Wouldnae be me likes but each to their own and all that jazz eh?

Toys and prams eh? I sometimes wonder how some Hearts fans are able to function in the real world if they are unable to deal with disappointing events... I mean christ eh? Shit happens man, suck it up and stop being so ******* precious. How are folk not used to the fact that good times and bad inevitable? :o

Better call Saul

So were the guys at the back going mental at the scarf-thrower? All I could hear was "You're not a proper Hearts man" type stuff. For one horrible moment I thought they were shouting at Gary Locke.

YES ! Along the lines of " GTF , Glory hunting see you next tuesday , Never a Hearts fan , See you next tuesday was repeated a few times , I think you were wrong in your action there :woot:

wearing a football scarf... :cornette:

It is my experience that gentlemen of distinction are to be found wearing Hearts scarves on matchdays.

:angry:

Sorry to hijack the thread but since its now Billy Bauld as its winter anyone know of where I can get a decent maroon scarf (or maroon tartan) ?

Its for day to day so without the hearts badge

It is my experience that gentlemen of distinction are to be found wearing Hearts scarves on matchdays.

only a cup final thing for this punter.

:greggy:

I remember when we finished 8th a couple of seasons back,a few guys threw their season books onto the track.....at the last home game!:rolleyes:

I've had my scarf for so long that it has way too much in the way of memories, luck and misfortune to consider throwing it away. Never understood this practice at all, I'd be devastated if I lost it. Do some people buy new scarves every season (or more frequently) just so they can chuck em in a fit of fury?

since.1902 - don't the club still do those real wool Hearts tartan scarves? They were quite smart, haven't seen many of them around lately mind you....

Gregory House M.D.

I could understand it if we'd been shite and well beaten but that wasn't the case, overreaction in my opinion.

Sorry but being shite and well beaten's far less frustrating than being totally inept in the oppositions box and being beaten by their only attempt. It's ******* embarrassing actually and it's happened three games on the bounce.

There is a great thread to be had on the subject of Hearts scarves past and present, old, new, borrowed, and ..er...blue. I don't recall ever seeing one on Kickback before. It would, of course, involve getting up off the backside and taking photos of the scarves to post on here, but I'm up for that sort of sadness. Someone please start it - I'm off for my tea.

Oh, and it might flush out the rat who stole my favourite ever scarf from a flat in Marchmont at Hogmanay 1979.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Red kens the craic.

Revenant... Football scarves are an important part of supporting the club and should not be treated like wearing trackie bottoms in public or slippers to the shops mate! What the good-god-al-feckin-mighty do you have against scarves my friend???

Gregory House M.D.

Did the guy throwing the scarf have a boyband-esque spiked up fringe with the rest flattened per-chance?

Never, ever, ever would I throw my scarf.

Like redm, my scarf holds so many memories. I once lost it in the Diggers when it was taken in a case of mistaken identity and I was utterly devestated. I got it back the next week though.

Scarf throwers are basicaly arseholes.

Problem O, I don't know if there's such a thing as a traditional 'scarfer' these days (not in some meanings of the word anyway) but there is carefully observed scarf wearing protocol. My version is this:

Must wear occasions? Cup finals and to a slightly lesser extent cup round fixtures. Some folk attach the same level of scarf wearing importance to derbies as they do old firm matches, stuff like that. Difficult and can be uncomfortably warm to wear one for general fixtures until around November at earliest - scarf wearing starts just after Bovril season kicks in around late October, you see.

Never throw it. Never lose it. Allow only trusted Jambos to borrow it and only if absolutely necessary. Wash it at carefully considered points i.e. NEVER in the middle of a good run of games. Don't anger the luck.

There's other stuff but you'll get my drift anyway.... :)

Oh yeah, and as Craigieboy points out and in extension to my 'trusted Jambos' only policy - watch out for scarf kleptos in the pub. It's not always intentional and they often know not the error of their ways, but be vigilant nonetheless.

Neilson's Shank

Never thrown a scarf in 32 years, changed it often enough to try to change our luck. wife took a radge turn and threatened to clean out the coat pegs last year. Result 38 scarves belonging to me and my son now in long term storage. May buy a new one soon if this run continues.

Still have strictly as memorabilia my maroon scarf and Hearts tie from the 50's and 60's. Whether you agree with it or not scarf throwing is the same form of debatable protest and demand for action as the Occupy protesters. What they particularly have in common is complaint, criticism , and no comprehensive all encompassing solution, policy or plan.

Sacrilege.

I mean if throwing it really makes you feel so much better then bash on but prepare for pelters.

Seems a bit dramatic where yesterday is concerned.

Hope whoever it was buys their new scarf from the club shop,might be the difference between the players gettin paid come next pay day.

After the incident at Tannadice where a Hearts "supporter" threw his scarf onto the pitch in front of Gary Lock, what do you think? Was the guty entitled to his opinion or did he deserve the absolute pelters he got from the majority pf fans?

I can understand people's frustration just now, esspecially when so-called players like Ian Black are out drinking in le mond last night without a care in the world esspecially after a defeat playing or not, and yes before people say I know the players still have their life to live but let's just say I was not impressed when I seen him acting like he owned the place and some of the players do not seem to care so it's just as well the fans do, it's up to people to voice their own opinion's, not that I agree with chucking scarfs on to the pitch.

GTF Ian Black

I didn't answer as none of the above suited me. However, I was closest to the last option. I do think that it is entirely the supporters right to do what they want, but visual things like that affect the team, that starts to annoy me. I have never done it, never understood the compulsion if I am honest.

I threw my 1998 scarf onto the 2006 parade bus :sob:

Didn't you post recently that you were a teenager? If so, you would be barely out of nappies in 1998.

Unless you are referring to a gift, I don't believe you. :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Doesnt mean that expressing that opinion wont make them look like a big bairn.

Gregory House M.D.

I didn't answer as none of the above suited me. However, I was closest to the last option. I do think that it is entirely the supporters right to do what they want, but visual things like that affect the team, that starts to annoy me. I have never done it, never understood the compulsion if I am honest.

Didn't you post recently that you were a teenager? If so, you would be barely out of nappies in 1998.

Unless you are referring to a gift, I don't believe you. :)

I'm 19 this Friday. I wasn't at the match that day but my uncle and grandad were there. I watched it in my aunties livingroom. I wasn't allowed to go even though my cousin was and he's the same age. Still annoys me to this day. :angry:

I bought the scarf at the 98 parade.

Better call Saul

I can understand people's frustration just now, esspecially when so-called players like Ian Black are out drinking in le mond last night without a care in the world esspecially after a defeat playing or not, and yes before people say I know the players still have their life to live but let's just say I was not impressed when I seen him acting like he owned the place and some of the players do not seem to care so it's just as well the fans do, it's up to people to voice their own opinion's, not that I agree with chucking scarfs on to the pitch.

GTF Ian Black

FAIR POINT :thumb:

Threw my scarf on the pitch the night we beat aberdeen and Chesney picked it up, it was in all the papers as it was a Jambo's in Europe one, was well chuffed when I saw the pics, then got well ticked off as it was actually my favorite scarf, but it was caught up in the moment thing and what a night that was. Would never throw my scarf in disgust tho, just know that being a Jambo we get more lows than highs but it makes the highs seem better.

Gregory House M.D.

Ian Black doon the pub, drinking boozy beer while suspened!?

Public hanging from the Wheatfield framework IMO.

GTF Ian Black

What were you doing in Le Monde after a defeat? Some supporter you, going out to the pub, didn't you know we lost the game today?

GTF JamboBen.

See what I did there? Hope you had a good night.thumbsup.gif

I chucked mine away when we failed to win promotion on the last game of the season. Being a supporter was very hard in these days as the players were so dross. I hadn't missed a game all season and I had had enough of knowing that we weren't even amongst the top 10 teams in Scotland never mind the top 3.

Vowed I would never go back and apart from my brothers birthday (18 Aug - Forfar League Cup won 2-0) was missing until about Jan.

Can't be bothered with these fans that do it when we've only had one crap game (not this season obviously)

Archived