Robbie Neilson signs for Dundee United

Ryan Gosling

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the best to Robbie 'that tackle' Neilson one of my fave Jambos of recent years... glad to see him back in the spl and he'll definitely do a job for utd.

Hope he has a mare on Sat tho! ;-)

ToadKiller Dog

The son of elvis will have Kickbacks ?5 million pond temps in his back pocket.

If we play our usual tactics against United of lumping the ball onto Gary "the plank "Kenneth's head then the battle between Robbie and Temps will be irrelevant

I honestly dont understand this view at all, very very poor going forward but a very capable defender at spl level I can't remember too many times when he faile in his primary defensive duties... I would say Jamie hamill is at about the same level TBH..

Ps - I think his goal against Basel would count as a positive

Its not just going forward though is it, its any time he was on the ball at all. I agree he was decent at tackling/defending but in terms of giving the ball away he was an absolute bombscare! Id rather have Hamill.

he would walk into our team at the moment.

Behave.

Nothing against Robbie, I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some people on here make out. But one of the few positions in our current team I'm happy with is right back.

I'd have Hammil and McGOwan above him.

The Great Khali

That tackle.

That goal

That hair.

True professional attitude which many of todays hearts players could do with adopting.

rudi must stay

Shrewd signing for them IMO, he has a point to prove after being released and, having played in the league as long as he did, it won't take him much time to readjust.

Regardless of current ability, or ability ever, he was a dependable player and a good player for us. Practically won us that cup with that wonder tackle from behind. Had he missed that, not got it, hadn't got back, I really reckon we'd have not won that game as the boy was through on goal. Good luck to the boy (except on Saturday).

Agreed. Not one of the most naturally talented to ever wear maroon, but was a significant part in one of the best days in my life. I will never forget that (and too many on this board are willing to). I will say one thing. I hope he isn't taking their penalties if they get one.

Yes you weren't the most talented robbie, but thank you for your effort, and i will never forget THAT tackle, or THAT penalty

Liked Robbie as a person, but as a player I thought he was average. Also it's a myth his tackle won us the cup.

The score was 1-0 not 1-1, Gretna went on to equalise a couple of minutes after the tackle.

Still a great tackle mind :thumbsup:

Good luck Robbie. Not the worst player we've had, and it is difficult to name 3 better right backs than him in the last 20 years.

Good luck to him. Decent signing for Utd.

The primary job for a full back or wing back is to stop the cross from the opposition and deny opportunity.

The bonus is to pass like someone from Barca.

He did his job. He did it well. The stats show that. He was no Barca player.

A good player for us, and one who played a vital role in us winning one of the two trophies the club has lifted in my lifetime.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Those slating him need to consider that someone like Danny Grainger is currently a first team regular.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

I really rated robbies work-rate and commitment for the club.

As its been stated already he was very limited ability-wise and I will always remember at rugby park he was chasing a ball down to the corner flag and danny invincible was a good 30 yards behind him and still managed to make it to the ball before robbie!

All the best for the future(after saturday and for any fixture against us).

I half expect he'll stick out like a sore thumb as the standard of the SPL has declined considerably since he left. A consistent and hard working player who is better than many given him credit for. People go on about Temps ripping him on Saturday, well Robbie regulary got the better of Aiden McGeady in games against Celtic and McGeady is a far better player than Templeton.

Gave everything and outwith thd OF was probably marginally the best right back in the country.

I suppose its how his salary compared to every other right back that determined his real worth.

If he plays on Saturday, I hope he has a mare.

Other than that I wish him all the best for the future, as he was a good servant for Hearts, under many managers for many years, and deserves our gratitude for that.

well said Gas,was a good loyal servant to the club

I wish him well

You have to laugh at people who think that Robbie is so bad that Temps is going to "rip him a new one".

First, Robbie was always a solid dependable SPL player who never really let Hearts down. Pace was never his strong point so even if he's a little older I have no reason to believe he is any less of a player he was in his time at Hearts.

Second, I can't remember Temps rip anybody a new one recently.

I can confidently predict that if both play on Saturday Robbie will still be using his old one at the end of the game.

Good luck Robbie. Not the worst player we've had, and it is difficult to name 3 better right backs than him in the last 20 years.

For Hearts?

Alan Mcaren

Dave McPherson

Alan Maybury

Robbie was indeed a great servant to the club and for that he deserves respect. He was (is), imo, an extremely limited footballer though.

26 games for Leicester in 2 seasons.

15 games for Brentford (I had to ggogle to find out what division they were in) in Football league 1 - or division 3 as it used to be called!!

Trained with Burton Albion - currently in Football League 2 - or division 4 in England as it was known till a few years ago.

Trained with Falkirk in the Summer also

All four teams didn't take an option to sign him - what does that tell you.

Yes, he may be a trier, but so was Stallone in Escape to Victory, but he was shit - same goes for Neilson.

I for one am delighted that he's weekend one of the bigger clubs in Scotland and my only concern now is having to duck whenever he attempts to knock a pass down the wing.

For Hearts?

Alan Mcaren

Dave McPherson

Alan Maybury

Robbie was indeed a great servant to the club and for that he deserves respect. He was (is), imo, an extremely limited footballer though.

I'll throw in Stevie Frail and Gary Locke as well.

Good for Robbie, remarkably average player but a good trier, I won't be wishing him any luck though until he buggers off out the SPL again.

I'll throw in Stevie Frail and Gary Locke as well.

Well, quite.

I'm disappointed I'd missed those ones out!

I'd even have Barrassa before RN....:unsure:

We_are_the_Hearts

For Hearts?

Alan Mcaren

Dave McPherson

Alan Maybury

It has been a problem position for us over the years with the likes of McLaren, McPherson, J Weir, Flogel and D Weir all having had spells there. Stevie Frail was a very good right back as well. Joe Jordan also played Gary MacKay as wing back for a couple of years in his preferred 3-5-2 formation. Robbies best game for us was in Bordeaux when we won 1-0. Overall he was a good servant but never made the progression that was expected of him as he was a highly rated youngster.

The Great Khali

Well, quite.

Barassa!!?

Well, quite.

I thought he was remarkably under-rated as a RB tbh.

With regards to people saying Neilson is better than Hamill.

Neilson had 10 years at Hearts. Hamill has had 10 games :rolleyes: give him a chance.

Behave.

Nothing against Robbie, I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as some people on here make out. But one of the few positions in our current team I'm happy with is right back.

I'd have Hammil and McGOwan above him.

Maybe I need to qualify my original point because I don't know what condition Robbie is in right now.

But he was a proper, solid right back (and not a bad captain for a short time) who knew how to play in the SPL. I'd say, a better defender than Hamill, whose best contributions seem to be his offensive play. But can Hamill not also play midfield? As for McGowan, his day will come.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Temps will run rings round him.

Robbie Neilson was a good servant for us and very under-rated. Got forward as much as possible and solid in defence. His lack of class showed in the 05/06 team but still had a solid season, he was amoungst some class players. In the 2 or 3 seasons that followed he was a good player for us, I would have the Robbie Neilson we had in his last 3 or 4 seasons back at hearts.

Robbie was a good servant to Hearts, limited ability BUT left nothing in the dressing room, worked his socks off.

Good luck to him after Saturday :thumbsup:

Robbie was a good servant to Hearts, limited ability BUT left nothing in the dressing room, worked his socks off.

Good luck to him after Saturday :thumbsup:

He had that tackle and that goal........in ten years (minus the loan years).

Temps and Skacel must be bursting for Saturday now.

Neilson had 10 years at Hearts. Hamill has had 10 games :rolleyes: give him a chance.

Hamill after 10 games, means we don't have to suffer 10 years of pish, nice genuine guy Robbie, pish fitba' player.

winston churchill

The son of elvis was just on radio scotland talking up the club big time.

Well Played as he never bit with the chump trying to bad mouth wee vlad.

Hamill wont get 10 years at Hearts as he will be found out long before then. One of the worst players to ever wear maroon.

rudi must stay

Hamill wont get 10 years at Hearts as he will be found out long before then. One of the worst players to ever wear maroon.

at right-back he won't. But he might in midfield

But he was a proper, solid right back (and not a bad captain for a short time) who knew how to play in the SPL. I'd say, a better defender than Hamill, whose best contributions seem to be his offensive play.

No doubt about the bit in bold.

Thing is though, you can learn to be a better defender, and I think both Hammil and McGowan will. Robbie peaked in his footballing abilities very early, and never improved.

Hammil and McGowan are both far better going forward, and both decent at the back.

Think you can be added to the list of "Don't know anything about football" posters.

Btw, the "one of the worst players to ever wear maroon" chat is chronic patter.

Think you can be added to the list of "Don't know anything about football" posters.

Btw, the "one of the worst players to ever wear maroon" chat is chronic patter.

A bit like Grant Murray

Archived