Tragedy at the Esplande In Kirkcaldy

hmfc4life1991

hmfc4life1991

Major incident at Esplanade - coastguard, fire & police in attendance and part of Esplanade cordoned off after reports of a child in the water at hign tide and waves crashing over seawall.

Heard since then that a 2 year old boy has died, very sad news :(

Better call Saul

Is the weather that bad over there today ? I was in Leith this morning and the forth was so still as well .....so horrible to think of this happening ...you do wonder how these things could ever happen though !

Terrible news. I know the water laps up there regularly but the weather was so nice in Edinbugh today, what happened?

While scumbag teenagers filmed the tot in the water.

If this is true, I hope they track the little scumbags down and force then to explain themselves to the family of the kid who died.

While scumbag teenagers filmed the tot in the water.

If this is true - what a truely dreadful inditment of the society we now live in. I hope they are traced and shamed.

Goldstone Wonder

Awful news. My secretary's grandson is about that age and they live in Kirkcaldy. Can't get that thought out of my head and am feeling really guilty about it.

Link to this evidence about filming please !

I'm now wondering why people were standing watching people filming someone in trouble in the water...

If this is true, I hope they track the little scumbags down and force then to explain themselves to the family of the kid who died.

What would that solve?

Better call Saul

Not that I know the facts just now ...I just wonder that if there was that danger with high tides etc wtf was a three year old near to this area .....like I say I don't know the facts

Better call Saul

After reading what was witnessed by this forum its truly horrific ..the previous link was to the bbc not given as much eye witness accounts

Chaka Demus & pliers

That's horrible.

A post on that link says that he was getting his photo take when the waves came over. Can't imagine what that must have been like for whoever was with him and hope I never find out.

RIP wee man

Is the weather that bad over there today ? I was in Leith this morning and the forth was so still as well .....so horrible to think of this happening ...you do wonder how these things could ever happen though !

Really ? People die from a simple trip over a wee stone and hitting their head on the ground. A child drowning is very sad but not exactly a rare incident.

Better call Saul

Being swept away by a freak wave on the morning when the forth was so calm whilst standing on a pavement at the age of three whilst supposedly being supervised by parents is pretty rare in my opinion .

Being swept away by a freak wave on the morning when the forth was so calm whilst standing on a pavement at the age of three whilst supposedly being supervised by parents is pretty rare in my opinion .

It can look quite calm out on the Forth but the waves often come right over the wall at the prom but would never have expected it to sweep a bairn out to sea

The Old Tolbooth

I just can't get my head around this at all, the waves would come over the wall (which from the esplanade side is about 4-5ft high maybe?), but surely with the waves coming over the top of the wall then it would have pushed the poor little kid towards the main road, rather then drag him back over the wall? It must have been one hell of a size of wave to actually manage to drag him back over a wall that size, it doesn't bare thinking about.

We've had the kids there a few times and had fun with the sea and waves etc, it really does put a chill down the spine when you put this into perspective with what happened, and I can't even begin to imagine what the poor parents and family of the wee lad are going through right now, it's just horrible :(

Absolutely tragic.

If that was my kid though, I'd have been right in there after him to try to save him.

Bloody shame.

The sea can change very quickly depending on the wind etc. If somone had gone in after him there would be two bodies to lift as you'd be smashed on the sea wall.

I do a lot of fishing along the East Neuk and always have a flotation suit on and that gives you about 3 minutes in the water.

The Old Tolbooth

Absolutely tragic.

If that was my kid though, I'd have been right in there after him to try to save him.

Bloody shame.

I said the same when the wife told me about this, but apparently as mentioned above, if someone had tried to dive in to save the wee fella, then it would have been a double tragedy, sadly. The sea is often under estimated in just how dangerous it is.

Radioactive Mince

Thing is, even knowing the dangers, who knows if you could stop yourself? Would you really have time to consider everything? For me, it could mean dying trying to save one and leaving two without a dad.

Comedian's post made me feel sick. How could you FILM the whole thing? Fair enough, I wouldn't expect a random bystander to jump in and save a kid, but do that instead?

This is genuinely upsetting. Lump in the throat. RIP little guy.

Archived