Mark Wotte on Youth Development

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I've been impressed thus far with what the new Scotland's Performance Director has had to say, but I still have doubts that he will be able to deliver what will be a culture change for Scottish clubs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/15630827.stm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One quote in particular resonated with me "Playing 4-4-2 with the long ball and picking up the second ball - trial and error football - is not good enough any more."

I think that says much more about the Managers and Coaches at our top clubs. The "old school" of W Smith, C Brown, J Jefferies have had their day.

Want to guess the appointments for these 7 academies??? Okay...

Walter Smith

David Hay

Jocky Scott

etc.

Seriously, theres still hope for Mark Wotte. I like what he has to say...

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

He was pretty scathing of the play the big laddie over the technically better player culture saying only the best on the ball rise to the top.

He was pretty scathing of the play the big laddie over the technically better player culture saying only the best on the ball rise to the top.

:orly?:

What sort of radical is this man?

Doesn't he know piano shifting is ideal football training.

:seething:

Sounds like baby steps are being made to take us in the right direction - good stuff.

I just hope that the impatient realise that this will take years to come to fruit. More than likely when Wotte has moved on to a new job as he has left solid foundations in place.

fabienleclerq

I like what he has to say.Hopefully we go with foreign coaches rather than the above "old skool" but tbf them they are in a results buisness so tried to be effective in this league.

I also think ref's have a responsibility to protect the younger "ball" players more from big physical players who work at a certain level but come unstuck against technically better teams later on.

Maybe Mr le guen was onto something r.e tackling in training.

Footballfirst

Want to guess the appointments for these 7 academies??? Okay...

Walter Smith

David Hay

Jocky Scott

etc.

Seriously, theres still hope for Mark Wotte. I like what he has to say...

As you say the selection of the coaches for these academies will be key and I hope that Wotte himself has the final say on their selection.

As you say the selection of the coaches for these academies will be key and I hope that Wotte himself has the final say on their selection.

I'm not saying for a second that guys like Tommy Craig (he once taken a session I was at a couple of times - it was superb) are not good coaches but as you say, hopefully Wotte has the final say.

In a way, I think many of our coaches had the combination of the players drying up with the natural ability of days gone by, coupled with am understanding of the game that is maybe now out of date compared to most of Europe.

I always piss myself when I hear on the radio someone talking about a manager in the SPL, almost to a man they trot out "They like to get the ball down and pass it" - I see very little of that tbh.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

There must be loads of good young Scottish coaches coming through now who have been influenced by the great Barca and Spain sides and are suitable for these types of roles.

I remember listening to a Championship player on the radio saying that he had seen a shift in the way young players were playing as they were coming in to training on a Monday raving about how good Barca were the night before and all that.

Seems simple but that sort of thing can have an effect.

Didn't we have the 2nd best youth team in Europe (after Spain) just five years ago? I think our problems are also to do with how we get good 19 year olds to become good 23 year olds (Clum and Glen as examples).

jamboinglasgow

Didn't we have the 2nd best youth team in Europe (after Spain) just five years ago? I think our problems are also to do with how we get good 19 year olds to become good 23 year olds (Clum and Glen as examples).

That team actually did produce some decent players, Graham Dorrans, Lee Wallace, Robert Snodgrass and Steven Fletcher are international players now (Michael McGlinchy played in that Scotland team but he is now capped for New Zealand and was in the 23 man squad for the world cup last year.) While Garry Kenneth was capped after having a great season in 09/10 (but has gone backwards.) Something quite interesting looking at the squad list for that competition is what has happened to the old firm players in that squad since, there are 6 Celtic players and 1 Rangers player in the 19 man squad. Yet out of those 7 players, there has only been 3 league appearances between them. And they are now either retired, in League One or Two, the First division, the A League or the Icelandic League.

As you say there needs to be something sorted between the end of youth teams and the first team as too many are lost in this gap. I remember once hearing a Dutch coach say that in Holland they have a motto that every child's development is important, they saw they were a small country and so limited in number of potential players compared with bigger players, so they could not afford to be wasteful with how a young player comes through their youth set-up to the first team. I think attitudes in this country need to change, all the chairman in the SPL need to come together and agree that they will make a more concerted effort to bring through the youngsters and get the team playing a more technical game then we currently have (I must credit this idea to FF who suggested it at the under 19s game on Saturday before I get accused of nicking ideas :whistling:) it would require the chairmen to ease the pressure off their managers, and employ managers who are willing to play a more technical modern style.

We_are_the_Hearts

The 4-4-2 comment won't go down well with the old skool on here :lol: He is right though, our "trial and error" footy fails when we step outside the SPL as we are not good enough at retaining posession. I like the way Sergio is trying to get us to control games more. Admittedly it is a slow process but Rome wasn't built in a day. We needed to start somewhere to change our style.

Sounds like baby steps are being made to take us in the right direction - good stuff.

I just hope that the impatient realise that this will take years to come to fruit. More than likely when Wotte has moved on to a new job as he has left solid foundations in place.

Patience? Far too many fans want PS out already and he is just in the door.

Scottish football does not want to change.

Scottish fans don't want to watch players passing the ball about.

Get it forward!! Put it in the effing box!!

Patience? Far too many fans want PS out already and he is just in the door.

Scottish football does not want to change.

Scottish fans don't want to watch players passing the ball about.

Get it forward!! Put it in the effing box!!

Think from a National Football point of view the sane realise that with 1998 being a hell of a long time ago, something has to be looked at. The SFA take a load of stick thrown in their direction so its only fair they take a bit of credit from trying to rectify a problem that is clear to see. This is something that is not going to have any affect on the NT for probably 10 years or so, so the folk who like the ball lumped and have no patience for keeping ball have plenty time to enjoy high tempo second ball football and not making it to championships.

Everyone is a winner.

biggrin.gif

I also think ref's have a responsibility to protect the younger "ball" players more from big physical players who work at a certain level but come unstuck against technically better teams later on.

Maybe Mr le guen was onto something r.e tackling in training.

I think this is a much more important point that most realise. In other countries almost any physical contact on the player with the ball is given as a foul. This applies from youth up to full international level. There are two consequences to this: (1) more talented players get to develop and improve their skills as they progress through their careers, and (2) players learn to defend and tackle without kicking lumps off the ball carrier. In Scotland, where we allow and encourage "fully committed" challenges, smaller and lighter players get kicked out of games, and coaches consequently prefer more physical players even if they are technically more limited. Is it any wonder that when our players get into European and international competitions, where physical contact with the ball player is not allowed, they struggle? They are being expected to play almost a different game to the one they are used to.

It's not the refs fault that this happens, they are only following their guidelines. What needs to happen is for the game's administrators to recognise this, and then tell all the clubs and the refs that the way the tackle is going to be refereed is changing to the way that everyone else in Europe has been doing it for years. Then we might see an end to the ridiculous "tackling" we see here, where the aim is clearly to take out the man rather than win the ball, and we might see more skillful players coming through. Anyone that wants to watch football which consists of players kicking lumps off each other can still go and watch the Junior game, and the rest of us might start see Scottish professional football heading in a better direction.

mahgrassyshoes

I remember an article in either the Guardian or the Herald being posted on here by either JiG or FF about the youth coach at Dundee Utd. These are the kind of guys we have to be filling these academies with.

jamboinglasgow

Some interesting points he makes, sadly a lot of it is things that have been said for years. Reading a couple of articles today he talks about healthy eating, and an end to the drink and smoking culture in Scottish football.

?It is just common sense and normal behaviour we are looking for. If you are a professional athlete, you can?t drink and smoke. Football players need to look after their bodies for two or three games a week.

?There is a bit of a culture. The boys here like to eat fish and chips or whatever. I was with the under-16 squad recently, there was a nice plate of fish and vegetables put in front of them, but they weren?t having it. I had to ask them to eat it, make a speech about what they should eat and how it is like putting fuel in a car.

?Cyclists in the Tour de France don?t feel like eating healthy food after seven hours on a bike, but they make themselves do it because it will be ?game over? the next day if they don?t. You cannot afford not to eat proper food if you want to play at the highest level.

?Smoking and drinking is not going to help your career. I know players sometimes have to switch off and there?s nothing wrong with having a beer after a great result. But excessive behaviour in any walk of life is not good. These days, with social media and mobile phones, there is always someone watching you if you have a face known through football. Football players are well paid to do their hobby, so they have to make sacrifices. If they cannot do that, they will not be top players.

?I saw the same kind of thing in Holland with the likes of Robin van Persie and Patrick Kluivert when they were young. They simply have to learn from it and not repeat this behaviour. I am a great believer that you have to produce good people as well as good players. Darren Fletcher is the perfect example for me. He stands out because of his mentality and skills. He has developed that at Manchester United and we should copy that.?

I would also like to know about these regional centres as well Borthers, and how the school system works in relation to clubs. Dundee United are really advanced in having their academy integrated with a school. Celtic also do this but from what I have read not quite to the extent of United. I would like to see Hearts adpot this method as well but it requires a partnership with a school and would require the backing of the council.

I think something Scotland has to admit is that its current style of football is past it in the modern game, the old ideals are not helping us, we need to move with the world as we are rapidly moving backwards.

All sounds good and positive for the future of Scottish football, it's just a shame there's a large vocal group of fans who don't seem to want anything to change and are stuck in the mindset of long ball tactics and needing to have a big 6 foot striker.

I heard when watching the Spanish football on Sunday that Fernando Llorente of Athletic Bilbao is the only Spanish centre forward who gets picked/played regularly that is over 6 foot. Says it all IMO.

jamboinglasgow

Full media conference here to watch if you time in between reading that report on the stadium propsals :ninja:

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/aberdeen/278192-mark-wottes-vision-for-scottish-football/

Thanks for that, was hoping that the SFA would put up the press conference, glad STV did. I would be interested to know if the best player in the Scotland under 19s who isn't playing for his club is Jason Holt.

Heard it all before - got to improve the game blah, blah...........................................

Hopefully it will happen but I am not going to hold my breath.

jamboinglasgow

Listening to the press conference. Mark Wotte makes a very good point, if we want to bring youngsters into the first team we need directors of football as a manager will not take risks if left to himself as he feels he has to win. So clubs have to adopt a style of football and use directors of football to implement it and challenge the managers why they dont play player x or y or why they want to buy a foreign player when there is a young player who can be as good in the long term.

There is of course a flip side to this approach and I think we have seen it's effects over the last few years, who was the last proper Centre Forward we produced? As much as we have produced 'tricky' 5ft wingers we haven't produced many strong athletic players! Are we mistaking trickery for talent?

Is the reverse to the old 'he's too wee to play fitba' now happening where it's been a case of 'he's too big to pass a ball'??

Recently Spurs showed us that you can have talented young players that are strong, quick and powerful 6 footers!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Fascinating stuff. I really like the sound of this guy. A wee bit snooty about dismissing 4-4-2 - after all, current formations are just a slight variation but some of the other stuff he talks about is bang on. There's some stuff he can't change - Scotland's warped pride in its drinking culture and a diet of Greggs, chippies and fry ups will take more than the efforts of football to change - but his vision of the way the game should be played and taught is pretty inspiring. I particularly like his preference for Directors of Football - a position absurdly ignored in the UK - someone to take control of the direction the club is heading on the playing side. But these positions are useless if they're just filled with old-timers looking for an easy life and a last pay day. There's nothing to suggest a DoF even has to be older than the coach. Also, I guess it goes without saying, and it's particularly relevant at our club, it probably shouldn't be the chairman doing the job.

I think a lot on this thread are doing a real disservice to the young coaches who are coming through and training the young lads. This big laddie, hoof the ball culture is very much frowned upon. The days of making an 11 year old run up and down murder hill then do 100 sit up's is gone. Its all about skill and ball retention.

Where the problems start is at U19 level - there needs to real investment in getting the 19's to first team status, in many cases its not that the lads aren't good enough there is no natural progression for them unless they are loaned out. Without u21's and reserve leagues they lack match time and if they are lucky enough to get into the 1st team its in the harsh world of the SPL where 3 defeats in a row can sit you in relegation trouble and 5 defeats can see the manager horsed out the door.

We need a culture change at the top of the game not so much the bottom. I really think if Scottish Football as a whole is committed to this - we need to limit the foreign players allowed in the starting 11's, until our own game improves.

We should be looking at how the Germans got their league and national side back to near the best in Europe.

jamboinglasgow

Fascinating stuff. I really like the sound of this guy. A wee bit snooty about dismissing 4-4-2 - after all, current formations are just a slight variation but some of the other stuff he talks about is bang on. There's some stuff he can't change - Scotland's warped pride in its drinking culture and a diet of Greggs, chippies and fry ups will take more than the efforts of football to change - but his vision of the way the game should be played and taught is pretty inspiring. I particularly like his preference for Directors of Football - a position absurdly ignored in the UK - someone to take control of the direction the club is heading on the playing side. But these positions are useless if they're just filled with old-timers looking for an easy life and a last pay day. There's nothing to suggest a DoF even has to be older than the coach. Also, I guess it goes without saying, and it's particularly relevant at our club, it probably shouldn't be the chairman doing the job.

To be fair to Mark Wotte, I dont think he is writing off the formation of 4-4-2, more the style of knocking it up into the air and trying to win the second ball and it is most common in this country with 4-4-2.

In modern football, you need a director of football if you want to make the team do anything long term to a set plan. In the past managers did everything because most had the job security to last more then 2 seasons in which they could bring about a major change to the clubs style of football and who they buy. Now with managers going out the window a clubs ethos can change and as shown what has happened with Sutton, a new manager may feel a recent signing made by a previous coach who was brought in to suit the old managers style suits his new style so effectively the club has wasted money. I remember reading from a journalist who talked about the Director of Football role and its failure over here. His point was that when people try to implement it here, they usually do it as an afterthought rather then realising the importance of the role. The director of football needs to be viewed as the most important football man at the club, as he controls club policy and how it is implemented. A common mistake made by owners/boards who bring in a director of football is that they appoint one after a manager has been brought in (see Keegan and Wise) thus you can have a clash between the manager and the DoF. The ideal thing is to bring in the DoF first, then he appoints a manager/coach who most suits the style of football that he and the club want. And I agree that the DoF doesn't have to be an older coach, the role can be quite administrative and requires a good deal of diplomacy as though they are on the board, they have to negotiate between coach and board.

Ribble, I dont think we are stopping tall large players from playing in the game, it is just a change in focus from the beginning to focus on training players the right technique then picking the most skillful players, if they are 6'5" built like a brick house or 5'5" and built like a sheet of paper it wont matter as long as their ability is good enough.

Footballfirst

It's the culture of older teenagers that is doing a disservice to the game. Too many laddies think they have made it when the get their first professional contract at 16/17 and join the ground staff of a senior club. It's a badge of honour for them to use when they go out on the pull, getting drunk or end up in a rammy. I know, even at Hearts, the lads are given all the dietary advice they require, but I know many still like a Domino's, Nandos or a chippie.

It's sad to see youngsters who do have the talent, but fail to make it because they don't have the mentality to tough it out, turning their back on the distractions, and giving 100% to their career. Fortunately, there are a few exceptions and slowly but surely I think it will dawn on the majority that if they want to be the best that they can be, then it has to come from within themselves.

The Ajax model uses the acronym of TIPS to assess their academy players and to develop them accordingly.

T- Technique

I - Insight or Intelligence

P - Personality

S- Speed

The T & S are self explanatory and easily recognised and coached, but I & P deals with the mental side of both the game and life in general. It's the latter two characteristics that ultimately let too many youngsters down.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Great post, JiG. After seeing it in North American sports I've thought for ages the DoF should appoint the head coach.

It's the culture of older teenagers that is doing a disservice to the game. Too many laddies think they have made it when the get their first professional contract at 16/17 and join the ground staff of a senior club. It's a badge of honour for them to use when they go out on the pull, getting drunk or end up in a rammy. I know, even at Hearts, the lads are given all the dietary advice they require, but I know many still like a Domino's, Nandos or a chippie.

It's sad to see youngsters who do have the talent, but fail to make it because they don't have the mentality to tough it out, turning their back on the distractions, and giving 100% to their career. Fortunately, there are a few exceptions and slowly but surely I think it will dawn on the majority that if they want to be the best that they can be, then it has to come from within themselves.

The Ajax model uses the acronym of TIPS to assess their academy players and to develop them accordingly.

T- Technique

I - Insight or Intelligence

P - Personality

S- Speed

The T & S are self explanatory and easily recognised and coached, but I & P deals with the mental side of both the game and life in general. It's the latter two characteristics that ultimately let too many youngsters down.

I agree with this - and that's where they need more focus when they hit 18/19/20 they almost need a career path mapped out and mentored accordingly, clubs can't do this though because aside from loan moves where do they put all these boys ?

While it has to be a choice from each individual, I still think clubs and the governing bodies have a juty to keep these guys focused. Training from 10-1 isn't focus it's a holiday camp, there also needs to be role models within the senior squad - Ian Black being charged with drug possesion (for instance) hardly sets a great example to the youth players. The entire club needs a code of conduct that they all sign up too.

They should be full time at the clubs 8-6 and learn the game through many avenues not just running about the training pitch - video's, tactical awareness, talks from senior pro's etc etc.

I agree with this - and that's where they need more focus when they hit 18/19/20 they almost need a career path mapped out and mentored accordingly, clubs can't do this though because aside from loan moves where do they put all these boys ?

While it has to be a choice from each individual, I still think clubs and the governing bodies have a juty to keep these guys focused. Training from 10-1 isn't focus it's a holiday camp, there also needs to be role models within the senior squad - Ian Black being charged with drug possesion (for instance) hardly sets a great example to the youth players. The entire club needs a code of conduct that they all sign up too.

They should be full time at the clubs 8-6 and learn the game through many avenues not just running about the training pitch - video's, tactical awareness, talks from senior pro's etc etc.

I know for a fact the 19s did that today, they were in all day & working on all aspects of the game - on/off the pitch. I agree this should be the same everyday, but remember when people like Collins suggested this, players were up in arms. Whatever you may think of him, he's been at some massive clubs & knows what it's all about, maybe lacked a way to get it across - or the players just didn't want the extra effort

All about mentality for me. Even if we fail to bring players through because they lack the skill, this is probably because they were deemed physically strong at a younger age. DM, to his credit & Jambosr can say what he like, is all about the technical quality of a player & focusing on that. He teaches them this & tactical play - physical stuff is about getting in the gym & working hard to build it up! They are given the support & to be fair the 19s of this season & last are working hard on this aspect

I haven't read the article, so I am possibly being a little unfair on Wotte, but, if he is simply saying "4-4-2" doesn't work, then we really need to be telling this to (arguably) the finest manager currently in the business.

I haven't read the article, so I am possibly being a little unfair on Wotte, but, if he is simply saying "4-4-2" doesn't work, then we really need to be telling this to (arguably) the finest manager currently in the business.

the way i read it was it doesn't work with the way its implemented in scotland, i.e. lump it forward to a big striker and fight for the knock down

Randle P McMurphy

its a really impressive interview from mark wotte and i think with him and craig levein we may finally have the guys to move scottish football forward.

some great comparisons with similarly sized countries like slovenia and particularly belgium which are now producing top players after years in the doldrums. it proves it can be done and we can be competitive again. i hope he gets the support and the patience to realise his vision and bring real long term improvement to our game.

be interesting to see if it was jason holt he was referring to as scotland's best 19 year old who is not playing for his first team

With regard to which, I think you should read this fabulous, feature length article on an extremely important - yet oft forgotten - match, by Man Utd fan and one of the best writers around, Rob Smyth. Then if necessary, you should re-read it; then read it again. ;)

http://thefcf.co.uk/2011/11/03/manchester-united-real-madrid-alex-ferguson-1999-2000/

The finest manager currently in the business played 4-3-3-0 when Man Utd regained the European Cup in 2008, BH. You want revolutionary? That's revolutionary. And the finest manager in the business would never play 4-4-2 at the business end of the game's greatest club tournament now if his life depended on it.

Randle P McMurphy

he didn't really refer to formations it was more the concept of hit and hope football he was referring to. its fairly obvious that for most successful teams that possession is now the most important part of the game and to throw that possession away by punting it up and hoping for the second ball as a primary tactic is anathema

jamboinglasgow

its a really impressive interview from mark wotte and i think with him and craig levein we may finally have the guys to move scottish football forward.

some great comparisons with similarly sized countries like slovenia and particularly belgium which are now producing top players after years in the doldrums. it proves it can be done and we can be competitive again. i hope he gets the support and the patience to realise his vision and bring real long term improvement to our game.

be interesting to see if it was jason holt he was referring to as scotland's best 19 year old who is not playing for his first team

I feel the same way about the four of Wotte, Levein, Regan and Oglive. I do think we have the right people in key SFA positions to take us forward.

I said the same earlier about Jason Holt, to me it is either him or Anthony Watt at Celtic who Mark Wotte is referring to. As a side note, the old firm have often been criticised in the past for not giving youngsters chances, I may not like Celtic but I have to say it is pleasing to see them in the last two games against Rennes and Motherwell hand two 17 year old Scottish youngsters debuts (Mark Fraser who did look solid in central defence and Dylan McGleouch who is a promising midfielder.)

With regard to which, I think you should read this fabulous, feature length article on an extremely important - yet oft forgotten - match, by Man Utd fan and one of the best writers around, Rob Smyth. Then if necessary, you should re-read it; then read it again. ;)

http://thefcf.co.uk/2011/11/03/manchester-united-real-madrid-alex-ferguson-1999-2000/

The finest manager currently in the business played 4-3-3-0 when Man Utd regained the European Cup in 2008, BH. You want revolutionary? That's revolutionary. And the finest manager in the business would never play 4-4-2 at the business end of the game's greatest club tournament now if his life depended on it.

As an non-Scot and also a fan of Uruguayan Shaun, what do you make of what Wotte has said.

As an non-Scot and also a fan of Uruguayan Shaun, what do you make of what Wotte has said.

I think he's excellent. Plenty of performance directors from other countries have come to the UK and transformed other sports: why can't Wotte do the same with Scottish football?

Thing is, though, we won't have the answer to that for ten to twenty years, really; and the question remains. Will the authorities - the supposed guardians of the Scottish game who, in reality, have been its jailers for an eternity now - help him, or hinder him? If it's the latter, he won't stick around long.

http://thefcf.co.uk/...uson-1999-2000/

I will read it, honest.

Just answer one question. Does Sir Alex Ferguson still use a 4-4-2 formation? A simple yes or no, please.

Remember, "yes" or "no". It's not difficult. :)

I will read it, honest.

Just answer one question. Does Sir Alex Ferguson still use a 4-4-2 formation? A simple yes or no, please.

Remember, "yes" or "no". It's not difficult. :)

In some circumstances, sure he does. In some circumstances, I'd be happy for Hearts to as well. :o

In some circumstances, sure he does. In some circumstances, I'd be happy for Hearts to as well. :o

Your understanding of the English language escapes you again. I provided you with two answers and two answers only.

Verbosity can be endearing and can suggest intelligence, but sometimes it is better just to be succinct.thumbsup.gif

Your understanding of the English language escapes you again. I provided you with two answers and two answers only.

Verbosity can be endearing and can suggest intelligence, but sometimes it is better just to be succinct.thumbsup.gif

Sometimes posters are guilty of over-simplifying things, BH - just as you did when acting as though you knew more about football than the SFA performance director. Just as you did when occasionally acting as though you know more about football than the greatest manager who ever lived! :o

And yes, yes, "Capello". I know, I know... :turned:

Sometimes posters are guilty of over-simplifying things, BH - just as you did when acting as though you knew more about football than the SFA performance director. Just as you did when occasionally acting as though you know more about football than the greatest manager who ever lived! :o

And yes, yes, "Capello". I know, I know... :turned:

Tsk, tsk, Shaun. You weren't very good at those joining the dots games, were you? :(

I was suggesting, in the most obvious way, that the finest manager of all time knows a bit more about football than the dude that failed at Southampton (I am recalling the right dude, yeah?).

Footballfirst

BH - you should go back to the OP where you will find the context of the 4-4-2 reference.

"Playing 4-4-2 with the long ball and picking up the second ball - trial and error football - is not good enough any more."

Ribble, I dont think we are stopping tall large players from playing in the game, it is just a change in focus from the beginning to focus on training players the right technique then picking the most skillful players, if they are 6'5" built like a brick house or 5'5" and built like a sheet of paper it wont matter as long as their ability is good enough.

Just get the impression that everyone is looking for players in the mould of wingers like Messi/Silva, Midfielders like Xavi/Iniesta or forwards like Villa/Van persie so end up concentrating on players that are small and tricky with bags of skill and seem to be ignoring players that could be forwards in the mould of Drogba or midfielders like Yaya Toure that use power and strength rather than silky skill. Being skillful and talented are very different things and I really think that we may have forgotten that!

Tsk, tsk, Shaun. You weren't very good at those joining the dots games, were you? :(

I was suggesting, in the most obvious way, that the finest manager of all time knows a bit more about football than the dude that failed at Southampton (I am recalling the right dude, yeah?).

Such were the circumstances which he had to deal with for those few months - which involved administration, and the club almost ceasing to exist - it's awfully hard to see how any of it was his fault.

Meanwhile BH, you say you regard 4-4-2 as just one of a number of options. Yet you're totally obsessed with it! I can't recall you ever saying anything positive about any other system at all.

That's what I mean by 'over-simplifying things'. ;)

jamboinglasgow

Such were the circumstances which he had to deal with for those few months - which involved administration, and the club almost ceasing to exist - it's awfully hard to see how any of it was his fault.

Meanwhile BH, you say you regard 4-4-2 as just one of a number of options. Yet you're totally obsessed with it! I can't recall you ever saying anything positive about any other system at all.

That's what I mean by 'over-simplifying things'. ;)

Dont know if you read this article today about the FA's main plan for development of English youngsters at the elite level, St George's Park.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/08/fa-100m-facility-england-burton

Something interesting is the difference in tact between the two FA's. Both countries want to develop the elite players, but in England it is focused around a massive training centre and in Scotland it is to be focused around regional centres. Not saying either is right or wrong, just find it interesting.

Archived