How bad is the spl

kingantti1874

kingantti1874

Just on goals on Sunday that rangers have nearly equalled their all time spl record for games without defeat - its now 24.. With the quality, or complete lack of, they have I find that an incrediblly worrying statistic...

What's more worrying is that a team that beat us last week goes and ships 6 goals to Inverness at home yesterday.

jambo_til_i_die

What's more worrying is that a team that beat us last week goes and ships 6 goals to Inverness at home yesterday.

This, and we have them soon. AT TYNIE

Never mind the SPL as whole - how bad are we? We could lose to anyone at home or away at present. I can't see us shipping 6 right enough but given we can't score then we could get beaten by anybody.

Never mind the SPL as whole - how bad are we? We could lose to anyone at home or away at present. I can't see us shipping 6 right enough but given we can't score then we could get beaten by anybody.

Where have you been the last 4 seasons? There is nothing new in this...Apart from the run during this time last year when KK was fit we haven't had a striker for years.

Just on goals on Sunday that rangers have nearly equalled their all time spl record for games without defeat - its now 24.. With the quality, or complete lack of, they have I find that an incrediblly worrying statistic...

Yeah but loads of sides crap their pants when up against Rangers or Celtic.

If teams would actually have a go instead of being scared and hoping for a draw then they would never get that many games undefeated.

Too many OF sympathisers in the SPL.

Francis Albert

.... true of all but 2 or 3 seasons in the last 50, and most of those before.

The SPL is awful.

I would love to see us competing on a bigger stage, like a North/West European league or something else.

The SPL is absolutely garbage just now. Anyone can beat anyone else; normally that would be the sign of a good, competitive league in which each team possesses quality. In the SPL it's because we're pretty much all as bad as each other.

In a perverse way it does increase the excitement somewhat, despite the football being so bad, but frustration is the name of the game in this climate: you just know a semi-competent team, with a defence of our quality, mobile strikers and a well-balanced midfield, would walk to third and put in a credible challenge. Not world-beaters, just competent.

If only we had the 05/06 team now.

ToadKiller Dog

Rangers strike force is far superior to anybody else and they have a solid enough back line to cope with most attacks .

Celtic struggle because lennon doent have a clue tactically and his back line is no better than the average SPL side .

We are creating enough chances but have not enough up front to take them blindingly obvious our defence is strong enough apart from its odd mad moments that we seem always to concede from . If we could get a run together we will do all right .

Murderwell are doing really well will it last i doubt it but you never know .

As ever those out side the old firm take to many points off each other to get any where near an inform old firm .its the money gap that allows this not some magic attitude of theres they can afford better players .

Overall the SPL is a poor poor league because it is not competitive its to tight ,has only 1 relegation place the Uglies are to powerfull and the rest have to much self interest to stand up for real change .

If we were any good there would be a lot less of these 'The SPL is pish' type posts.

If we were doing well we probably wouldn't care what the SPL in general was like. WIth the decrease in finances available to clubs the skill level in the SPL has declined. We better get used to it.

Jelavic apart I can't remember the league being so poor. When you look at the 'top' players at each club it shows how bad it's become.

The thing is, it's never going to improve now that Rangers are skint and Sellick will slowly reduce the money they spend as all they do is waste it.

Jelavic apart I can't remember the league being so poor. When you look at the 'top' players at each club it shows how bad it's become.

The thing is, it's never going to improve now that Rangers are skint and Sellick will slowly reduce the money they spend as all they do is waste it.

A bit like us over the last 5 years. :ninja:

Drylaw Hearts

If we were doing well we probably wouldn't care what the SPL in general was like. WIth the decrease in finances available to clubs the skill level in the SPL has declined. We better get used to it.

The chances are the lack of money being spent at the top will tighten the gap between the OF and the rest.

The SPL is awful.

I would love to see us competing on a bigger stage, like a North/West European league or something else.

Only way this club will be prosper is to join the football league.

The chances are the lack of money being spent at the top will tighten the gap between the OF and the rest.

Definitely. They'll spend less and instead of buying players out with Scotland for ?2-3M they'll just buy the best players from the SPL again for ?300-500k. It's not as if either of them will see the Champions League group stages again.

Correct. A key problem for Celtic, though, is they've been unable to take advantage of Rangers' off field problems because they generally won't break their wage structure, meaning they're left trawling the market for players of no better quality. Compounding that is that the declining quality and profile of the league means a really good manager just won't join them: because what's the point? Strachan won 3 in a row and got to the CL last 16 twice, the latter an amazing achievement given the players he was working with; yet did this get him a move to a big EPL club? Nope: instead, all he could do was join a Championship club, where he failed miserably.

If Lennon goes, who do Celtic appoint? Keane? A loose cannon and a gamble. Coyle, if Bolton get rid? In both cases, they'd be going for someone who'd failed horribly in their last job - but it's hard to see who else is out there. Plus, for whatever reason, Rangers have a team of mentally tough winners, who are quite incredible in their ability to grind out endless 1-0s without playing well. Celtic are far more erratic - and as we saw with Strachan, I don't think their fans would tolerate shit football for long. They even got bored of it towards the end under O'Neill.

Correct. Compounding that is that the declining quality and profile of the league means a really good manager just won't join them: because what's the point? Strachan won 3 in a row and got to the CL last 16 twice, the latter an amazing achievement given the players he was working with; yet did this get him a move to a big EPL club? Nope: instead, all he could do was join a Championship club, where he failed miserably.

Thanks. ;)

The second point is an interesting one. Are you more likely to get a job down south by doing well with a team out with the Old Firm than doing well with one of the Old Firm?

McInnes and Coyle got decent jobs by doing well with St Jonhstone. Strachan just did a shocking job at 'Boro considering the wages and transfer fees he blew.

Lennon or McCoist won't get a sniff at a top Championship team no matter how good they do.

I'm not buying into the myth that the SPL is junk. Thats a theory peddled by the press becuase the old firm cant but players like Laudrup and Larrson these days. Its no better or worse now than anytime in the last 20 odd years.

Did we think the SPL was good when Rangers won 9 in a row?

...a bit disco

Correct. A key problem for Celtic, though, is they've been unable to take advantage of Rangers' off field problems because they generally won't break their wage structure, meaning they're left trawling the market for players of no better quality. Compounding that is that the declining quality and profile of the league means a really good manager just won't join them: because what's the point? Strachan won 3 in a row and got to the CL last 16 twice, the latter an amazing achievement given the players he was working with; yet did this get him a move to a big EPL club? Nope: instead, all he could do was join a Championship club, where he failed miserably.

If Lennon goes, who do Celtic appoint? Keane? A loose cannon and a gamble. Coyle, if Bolton get rid? In both cases, they'd be going for someone who'd failed horribly in their last job - but it's hard to see who else is out there. Plus, for whatever reason, Rangers have a team of mentally tough winners, who are quite incredible in their ability to grind out endless 1-0s without playing well. Celtic are far more erratic - and as we saw with Strachan, I don't think their fans would tolerate shit football for long. They even got bored of it towards the end under O'Neill.

BBC Sport - Sundays Scottish gossip...

"Celtic are pondering a short-term move for veteran Dutch midfielder

Boudewijn Zenden, who is a free agent after leaving Sunderland in

the summer. (Scotland on Sunday)"

;)

voice_from_the_south

Surely one way to identify the quality of the SPL is how well the top teams perform in Europe. For example, in 2003 Celtic were able to get into the UEFA Cup Final. The idea of Celtic or Rangers doing that now is totally unthinkable.

The fact that someone like Anthony Stokes is a top SPL player sums up how much it's declined since then.

They woukld have shipped 6 against us too, even with 10 men if we could only have found the net, so what's your point?

Couldn't disagree more with the OP BTW. Our league is mediocre, yes, but then it always has been, deal with it. Outside Rangers the rest of the league is actually mnore competitive and interesting than it has been for many years. There is a very real possibility of one or even more teams breaking the boring duopoly this season too. This can only be a good thing.

Surely one way to identify the quality of the SPL is how well the top teams perform in Europe. For example, in 2003 Celtic were able to get into the UEFA Cup Final. The idea of Celtic or Rangers doing that now is totally unthinkable.

The fact that someone like Anthony Stokes is a top SPL player sums up how much it's declined since then.

Maybe shows how the old firm have declined, but thats their problem. The worse they become the better for Scottish football as a whole.

I'm not buying into the myth that the SPL is junk. Thats a theory peddled by the press becuase the old firm cant but players like Laudrup and Larrson these days. Its no better or worse now than anytime in the last 20 odd years.

Did we think the SPL was good when Rangers won 9 in a row?

it was nowhere near as bad as it is now.

the spl is utter utter utter pap.

kingantti1874

They woukld have shipped 6 against us too, even with 10 men if we could only have found the net, so what's your point?

Couldn't disagree more with the OP BTW. Our league is mediocre, yes, but then it always has been, deal with it. Outside Rangers the rest of the league is actually mnore competitive and interesting than it has been for many years. There is a very real possibility of one or even more teams breaking the boring duopoly this season too. This can only be a good thing.

My problem is it isn't more competitive given how shit the old firm are... It should be competitive-it isn't - Rangers are 19 points ahead, have double the points, already - an they are shit

Re the standard of the rest of league being no different to any point in last 20 years... What a load of absolute rubbish.

Does anyone actually care about the (poor) standard of the rest of the SPL, surely its the standard of HMFC thats important and in comparison to the rest of SPL we're not markedly different to years gine by - still vying for 3rd, maybe 2nd at a big push.

Do you relish going to watch a great Rangers or Celtic team or a good St Mirren or Kilmarnock team? hopefully not

Fozzyonthefence

I take it you must be quite young to suggest the Scottish league has always been mediocre, because that is simply untrue. What about the 1960's - teams (not just the OF) doing very well in Europe (I think it was 5 teams getting to European finals or semi finals in that decade), competitive league (5 different winners of the league and 5 different teams also won the league in the 50's). Our teams in Europe now are just an embarrassment (every one of them) and this clearly shows the decline in the standard of our game. Even in the 80's and 90's some of our teams were able to compete at a fairly decent level in Europe, now we're relying on teams fielding inelligible players to get even one team into Europe in September.

And if anyone thinks it won't be an OF 1st and 2nd this season again they're deluded. Celtic, imo opinion still have a decent chance of winning the league and will finish about 20 points clear of 3rd.

Imo, there's nothing interesting about the SPL at all and this is backed up by the attendances.

Fozzyonthefence

How bad are these Scottish Cringe-induced 'how bad is the SPL' posts?

Why - what's wrong with them? It's open to debate as you can see from the different posts on here - is that not what JKB is supposed to be all about, or maybe someone with 71 posts wouldn't know.

Why - what's wrong with them? It's open to debate as you can see from the different posts on here - is that not what JKB is supposed to be all about, or maybe someone with 71 posts wouldn't know.

Top stuff, that, playing the number-of-posts card. Never seen that one before.

I take it you must be quite young to suggest the Scottish league has always been mediocre, because that is simply untrue. What about the 1960's - teams (not just the OF) doing very well in Europe (I think it was 5 teams getting to European finals or semi finals in that decade), competitive league (5 different winners of the league and 5 different teams also won the league in the 50's). Our teams in Europe now are just an embarrassment (every one of them) and this clearly shows the decline in the standard of our game. Even in the 80's and 90's some of our teams were able to compete at a fairly decent level in Europe, now we're relying on teams fielding inelligible players to get even one team into Europe in September.

And if anyone thinks it won't be an OF 1st and 2nd this season again they're deluded. Celtic, imo opinion still have a decent chance of winning the league and will finish about 20 points clear of 3rd.

Imo, there's nothing interesting about the SPL at all and this is backed up by the attendances.

The figures that place us 26th in the world in a list of attendances across all sports, you mean? We're tucked in nicely between the Turkish SuperLig and the Aviva Premiership. Sure, the SPL's never, ever going to be a top league, but we really don't do too badly for a wee country.

The Edinburgh giants do battle with Dunfermline and St Mirren. Not only can they not manage a victory between them but they can't manage a single goal. Any nobody is surprised.

Horrible.

Don't know how bad the SPL is but things are certainly grim where I come from.

Fozzyonthefence

The figures that place us 26th in the world in a list of attendances across all sports, you mean? We're tucked in nicely between the Turkish SuperLig and the Aviva Premiership. Sure, the SPL's never, ever going to be a top league, but we really don't do too badly for a wee country.

I was referring to the drop in attendences in the SPL in recent seasons but clearly I missed out "decrease in".

It's all money though isn't it? To take 2003 as an example - that was still at the tail end of teams burning money - unsustainable growth. SPL teams could hold on to players for a few years to a much greater extent. In 2003 Rangers had Arteta and Celtic had Larsson - if that were the case today then players of that calibre would be in the Premiership by Christmas - the offers couldn't be turned down. And that effect trickles down. I think if we had Sammon in 2003 we could have kept him for a few seasons and seen the benefit for example.

I'm really hoping the financial fair play stuff can work - don't see it happening for a long time unfortunately.

Yes it should but it never does, history shows, that when the Old Firms quality drops, the other non OF sides standards drop even further .

Tis the way it has always been and tis the way it shall follow.

kingantti1874

Top stuff, that, playing the number-of-posts card. Never seen that one before.

You'll do well here... :-)

Given this forum is dedicated to the discussion of all things Scottish football I'd say the standard of the league is a very valid debate ... I you don't want to take part - don't tell how shite a debate is - piss off to the xfactor thread where maybe you have a little bit more to input.

Tokyo Drifter

The SPL is dire, with occasional flurries of brilliance. It's about on a par with League One in England, apart from the Ugly Sisters, who are about top five Championship level. Most depressing of all are the attendances.

And if your Aunty had baws she'd be your Uncle!

At present we are dire to watch, playing with no striker thus unlikely to score.

Still if you think it's great, fine.

King of the North

The SPL is dire, with occasional flurries of brilliance. It's about on a par with League One in England, apart from the Ugly Sisters, who are about top five Championship level. Most depressing of all are the attendances.

I actually think there are several SPL sides (Dunfermline? St Mirren? ICT? St Johnstone?) who are about conference level, tbh. In fact conference sides like Grimsby Town, York City, Luton Town are arguably bigger than all these sides.

The SPL and the game in general is as bad as it's ever been in Scotland.

Der hun? - skint, embarrassing in Europe, horrendous, horrible fans, the worst Rangers side since the pre Souness-era - yet walking the SPL.

Sellick - a disgrace - hanging on to an incompetent manager for their own twisted reasons that have nothing to do with football, and merrily spending all of last season bringing an already dying game into ever more disrepute.

The rest - including us. Shite. Simply shite.

The national team - as above.

The media, the SFA, the refs - morons, cheats and incompetents.

Say what you like about our owner, but he has summed up the 'state of the nation' pretty well perfectly.

Archived